52-14 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

52-14

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
But Boneyard martyrs said that it wasn't the refs.
It's not. We rarely ever have a guard attack the basket as we play a European style where it's either a 3 off of a screen, and pick and roll and dump down to a wide open big, or back a big guy down low. Only the third option results in fouls, but we were doubled so we rarely got the opportunity.

Reaction Score
UConn's been getting the screw job by the refs the last two games. UConn has also not played well. Both things can be true. A little more of an even whistle and who knows
It’s quite easy to let the refs get in your head as well. You can’t adjust to fast whistles and not seeing any in return. This is as much an emotional game as cerebral.

Reaction Score
Providence spent half the game at the line because of the bonus/double bonus.

Why pretend like we were fouling them because we couldn’t stop their dribble drive? They shot 36% from the field too.

We lost because they hit threes, we didn’t, and the refs put them on the line and our better players on the bench.

Reaction Score
We do nothing to get to the free throw line.

It’s not a conspiracy.
Free throw disparity is the most alarming aspect of this season. It shows we are both 1) not performing well on defense, and 2) over reliant on outside shot. Tonight was second game in a row where we couldn’t adjust or counter a team that was having its way with us. Refs didn’t have any real impact on outcome of game. Providence had open space to take it aggressively to the hoop all night long, and they were skilled at getting fouled time & time again. If we can’t get some players to try to do the same, we won’t win those games where the shooting is cold.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's not. We rarely ever have a guard attack the basket as we play a European style where it's either a 3 off of a screen, and pick and roll and dump down to a wide open big, or back a big guy down low. Only the third option results in fouls, but we were doubled so we rarely got the opportunity.

A pick and roll should often result in a foul if the big is mobile and can finish, which both Sanogo and Clingan can.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

It wasn’t. We were manhandled

Did you see @auror post? How can you argue with that? Anyone that has worked with money will tell you there are no coincidences. If you think you are being ripped off, you have already been ripped off.

Here is a video to explain this to you. Just watch the first minute. I am Ace Rothstein in this video, and you two are the yokel brother-in-law.

Reaction Score
Blaming the refs for the disparity is ridiculous. Providence played with tremendous intensity, attacked the rim, and drew fouls. That’s why th was a disparity. Hurley had no answers except to get angry and complain.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yet somehow Newton averages 4.8 APG. Diarra hasn't been a slouch either.

Cole only averaged 4.1 last year, although he was good getting to the line.
We have no guards. We share the ball well. We have no guards. Not March guards. Not January guards. We have November guards. And if that sounds like a slight on Newton or diarra, it’s not. They are trying hard. I have no problem with them. It’s just our team make up.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Blaming the refs for the disparity is ridiculous. Providence played with tremendous intensity, attacked the rim, and drew fouls. That’s why a disrity. Hurley had no answers except to get angry and complain.

So you know better than a national media writer? Interesting. What are your credentials? Who have you interviewed to reach your conclusion?

Reaction Score
This is really unbelievable. Twice in 2 games, twice before that in the history of the sport. Yeah, launch the investigation, this is an integrity problem now.
Last 10 years not forever.

Reaction Score
We have no guards. We share the ball well. We have no guards. Not March guards. Not January guards. We have November guards. And if that sounds like a slight on Newton or diarra, it’s not. They are trying hard. I have no problem with them. It’s just our team make up.
100%.

Yes, Clingan needs more minutes as he's clearly (hilariously so) a better 5 than Sanogo. But they've got to create opportunities above the rim. That means you need legit PG distribution.

Reaction Score
Complaining about the refs is a loser’s lament.
How did AJax play in the first half? How was the uptempo offense? How about the tenacious D? There's a reason we didn't see any of that.

Reaction Score
How did AJax play in the first half? How was the uptempo offense? How about the tenacious D? There's a reason we didn't see any of that.
Because Ajax committed dumb fouls.

Reaction Score
I rest my case.

Weak sauce - take the fine and light them up. You pull the last 2 game stats and you put the spot light right on it. You question the conference’s commitment to quality officiating. You say officiating disproportionately effected the team, impacts the players and undermines competition. You punch them right in the mouth and take your fine. He can afford it. That’s leadership and protecting your kids.

Reaction Score
Tonight we shot 23% from 3 and 53% from the line. Was that the ref’ fault?

Meanwhile, Providence shot 44% from 3 and 83% from the line. Were the refs somehow helping them do that?

Stop making excuses.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Tonight we shot 23% from 3 and 53% from the line. Was that the ref’ fault?

Meanwhile, Providence shot 44% from 3 and 83% from the line. Were the refs somehow helping them do that?

Stop making excuses.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Reaction Score
UConn was terrible shooting, but the foul disparity makes no sense to me looking at box score.

How does UConn give up 35 foul shots while PC has only 18 points in the paint and took only 49 shots. PC also shot only 32% from 2-point range.

Not saying refs were wrong in their calls, but the game was played at same physicality level, the rebounding was even, the 3-point shots were even.

Everything in this game was even except foul shots, 16 more free throws and held a +19 advantage from line.

This one was weird.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
We shot 4 free throws against Butler but won so the refs weren't the problem. We got out free throwed(new word) against LIU but won so no inquiry. Look at the free throw differential in the Oregon and Florida games. Through 16 games we have shot less free throws in eight of them. Two of the cupcake teams shot more. Our starting center has excellent post moves but shies away from contact. Karaban is a full year away from being a player that will try to initiate contact. Hawk is decent but still 10 pounds away from trying to draw contact on a consistent basis. Newton doesn't seem like he is interested in doing it. Andre doesn't have the offensive game for it. Not the game of Calc, Neheem or Diarra. Clingan played 20 minutes and shot 8 free throws which feels about right. We had a lot of wide open, run and gun games early which is what we want. The Big East is a different story. It's not the refs. We still have a very good team but drawing fouls is not our strength.

Reaction Score
We played like garbage tonight. The officiating wasn't the issue. We couldn't move the ball.
This team has not looked not only like the best team in the country but we dont even look like the best team in the conference. Luckily its early enough that we can get back on track. I was thinking with Diarra and Alleyne starting to play well this team was going to take off but it seems like 1. Since conference play started the refs have been an issue. Anyone that denies it has his head in the sand. 2. AS is having trouble vs other quality bigs and 3. Our defense has looked horrible! In particular Karaban cant guard a chair and its really troubling.

Reaction Score
We sucked shooting from three and from the stripe. Providence hustled more and seemed to get 90% of the loose balls tonight. Those were two huge reasons why Providence won.

I'm not gonna say the refs cost us the game, but it's OK to say the officials sucked too as much as our shooting did.

Don't mistake me, I'm not saying UConn deserved to get to the line more because we didn't. But Providence's FTA should have been much lower. There must have been a 4-5 minute stretch in the first half where every time Providence wasn't putting the ball in the hoop a foul was called. I'm tired of referees blowing the whistle because they ANTICIPATE a foul. You see it all the time and it kills the flow of the game.

Both halves the Friars were in the double bonus very early. For god sakes they called 47 fouls tonight. A complete joke.

Again, I'm not saying that's the reason we lost but I'd put it 3rd after our crappy shooting and Providence working to get all 50/50 plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom