5 of 20 for 24 Passing Yards - Says It All. What Say You? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

5 of 20 for 24 Passing Yards - Says It All. What Say You?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There were easily between 6 and 8 passes that should or could have been caught that were flat out dropped, if not more.

I'm not spending time going back through the game but that numbers seems high.

Four passes, yes.

Regardless, 10-20 for 105 yards doesn't make any difference in this game or going forward.

The passing game is non existent and the coaches have to completely revamp what they think they can do. Bubble screens don't work with this group. Any play which takes time to develop doesn't work either.

Charlton and his coaches have their work cut out for them and will definitely have to earn a paycheck the remainder of the season.

Reaction Score
Sorry, faking it until you make it doesn't work in athletics. All we are doing when we play these body bag games is reinforcing the notion that we don't belong. Meanwhile Coastal Carolina improved to 3 - 0 today with a 12 point win over Buffalo. I'm sure their cult following of fans are giddy. They can sell wins to recruits, we can sell games that resemble the clubbing of a baby seal.
Losing to Gardner-Webb would reinforce the notion that we don't belong.

Reaction Score
UConn is not doing anyone any favor scheduling teams like UMichigan which only causes its players and fans to be embarrassed on national television.

The UConn schedule should only include teams from C-USA, sub Belt, MAC and like lower competition play.

Please no more games against the Big 10, SEC, Big 12, ACC, and PAC until the football team gets competitive.
Yes, much rather go 0-fer against CUSA, MAC, Sun Belt, and lower than BiG, SEC, ACC...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah. Give them a goal to play for. This independent thing may not work out.
Wow. Too bad that wasn’t pointed out at the time.

I understand that the move to the Big East was both necessary and beneficial for basketball. That didn’t mean we needed to pretend it was good for football also.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Was watching the Pitt game, where they started a RS frosh who had maybe 2 practices with 1st team. Not saying it would've mattered vs Michigan, but to me, it was a textbook example of what UConn could do to average competition if RBs & WRs were healthy. Kid only threw 12x, completed 9 for 170+. Punished WMU on ground.

That said, with all the injuries we do have, I don't think there are any immediate answers other than a hurry up west coast dink & dunk, utilizing the middle and TEs more often. This offense isn't going to stretch the field until it runs into a bad secondary.

Reaction Score
Yes, much rather go 0-fer against CUSA, MAC, Sun Belt, and lower than BiG, SEC, ACC...

Get lost with your silly nonsense. The idea is to play teams that have the same football finances as we do so the playing field is level, hopefully we can then gain some traction and turn this thing around like Temple did under Golden when they dropped down to the MAC.

You would rather we constantly try to run this football marathon uphill. It isn't working and its never going to work, and newsflash the fans DON'T like it. We have played two games this year that were enjoyable to watch and neither were against P5 opponents.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Get lost with your silly nonsense. The idea is to play teams that have the same football finances as we do so the playing field is level, hopefully we can then gain some traction and turn this thing around like Temple did under Golden when they dropped down to the MAC.

You would rather we constantly try to run this football marathon uphill. It isn't working and its never going to work, and newsflash the fans don't like it. These games blow!
I think that’s just the getting blown out in the big house hangover talking because that thought process is the slippery slope that leads to downgrading and then eventually dropping football. I remember fans and sports writers saying exactly the same thing when we joined the Big East and were struggling to even just make the BET. It was a bad idea then and it’s a bad idea now.

Remember when we left the American and everyone talked about how we were only going to get games against the dregs of college football? That turned out not to be the case. Our brand ended up being good enough that a lot of quality teams want to play us. That’s a strength that we shouldn’t just cast away.

Agree, though, that we can’t have a schedule full of teams competing for the national championship. I wouldn’t be too quick to give up on playing the recognize brands in the sport though to get wins against teams no on cares about. Eventually, those opportunities will disappear.

Reaction Score
I think that’s just the getting blown out in the big house hangover talking because that thought process is the slippery slope that leads to downgrading and then eventually dropping football. I remember fans and sports writers saying exactly the same thing when we joined the Big East and were struggling to even just make the BET. It was a bad idea then and it’s a bad idea now.

How do you not understand the financial difference in this play for pay era? Basketball in the Big East was on the same level as the rest of the Big East, your basketball analogy is not a good one.

and BTW you mention "leads to downgrading", we downgraded football when we left the AAC (for sound basketball reasons, i'm not knocking the move), joining a G5 conference for football would be an upgrade. We already have a lot of G5 games on our schedule, making them conference games is an upgrade.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You would rather we constantly try to run this football marathon uphill. It isn't working and its never going to work, and newsflash the fans DON'T like it. We have played two games this year that were enjoyable to watch and neither were against P5 opponents.
I see improvement with this team and believe they are capable of winning some games later in the season. It took Golden multiple seasons to get to 500 and won 1 game first season.

Reaction Score
I see improvement with this team and believe they are capable of winning some games later in the season. It took Golden multiple seasons to get to 500 and won 1 game first season.

Yes we have a chance against the G5 competition on our schedule. I agree. Thanks for proving my point, those games will be fun to watch. Why not play more G5 and less P5 and have more fun? Even more fun if they are conference games.

and G5 teams do get upgraded to the P5 if they are good. The only thing anybody respects is wins. So why not schedule more games that we can win? I'm not giving up on the P5 dream, I want to give us a better chance for an upgrade.

Heck North Dakota State gets talked about more for a P5 upgrade than we do, they have built a football powerhouse playing a lousy schedule with less money than we have.

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
How do you not understand the financial difference in this play for pay era? Basketball in the Big East was on the same level as the rest of the Big East, your basketball analogy is not a good one.

and BTW you mention "leads to downgrading", we downgraded football when we left the AAC (for sound basketball reasons, i'm not knocking the move), joining a G5 conference for football would be an upgrade. We already have a lot of G5 games on our schedule, making them conference games is an upgrade.
UConn most certainly was not at the level of the rest of the Big East when it first joined. We struggled to compete. I’m not a fan of the “this is too hard, let’s try something easier“ school of thought as it pertains to athletics. deciding you can’t compete and limiting yourself to playing the bottom of FBS football only is a hairs breath away from the siding that that’s too hard and playing only FCS teams. That’s the mindset you’re proposing.

Yesterday sucked, we knew it was going to, but that’s no reason to metaphorically curl into the fetal position.

Reaction Score
Yesterday sucked, we knew it was going to, but that’s no reason to metaphorically curl into the fetal position.

Wrong. No one is proposing we curl into the fetal position. I want an upgrade. Independence is the bottom of the barrel, especially with the new playoff landscape, upgrade to a G5 conference for football. Any G5 conference I don't care. Look at what Liberty and Western Kentucky did yesterday. Ideally the MAC would be a great fit.

Stop this delusional nonsense that playing more P5 games brings us closer to being a P5 team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They are hitting receivers I'm the hands. Ball touches hand means WR has to make the catch.
What game are you watching? Zion does ocassionally make a good throw but they are few and far between. He misses swing passes regularly. He rarely if ever completes a pass between the numbers. I am starting to wonder if he can see receivers in the center of the field. Before we blame the receivers, let's dependably get them the ball.

CL82

Reaction Score
Wrong. No one is proposing we curl into the fetal position. I want an upgrade. Independence is the bottom of the barrel, especially with the new playoff landscape, upgrade to a G5 conference for football. Any G5 conference I don't care. Look at what Liberty and Western Kentucky did yesterday.

Stop this delusional nonsense that playing more P5 games brings us closer to being a P5 team.
I respectfully disagree that we shouldn’t play P5 teams. Respectfully disagree that lowering the level of your competition is the path to becoming a better football team.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Yes we have a chance against the G5 competition on our schedule. I agree. Thanks for proving my point, those games will be fun to watch. Why not play more G5 and less P5 and have more fun?
Georgia Tech is a P5. So is Colorado. And, of course BC. With a healthy team, those could/should be very entertaining games. With the current depleted squad, not so much, as quality depth is a major problem.

Thing is, these games often get scheduled years in advance. When this one was scheduled, I'd imagine DB figured Michigan would be good, but I don't think he figured national championship good. Michigan is currently among the elite of the P5. It's unfair to suggest all P5 games would look like yesterday's.

Reaction Score
Wow. Too bad that wasn’t pointed out at the time.

I understand that the move to the Big East was both necessary and beneficial for basketball. That didn’t mean we needed to pretend it was good for football also.

Lol. I think most of us naïvely expected improvement by now. Nobody foresaw shutting down the program in 2020 and the catastrophic impacts it would have on the program.

I just know if we don’t improve the talent level and start scheduling more winnable games then the misery level will continue.

Reaction Score
I'm in awe of the reaction. Did we really think Mora was going to have us "competing" on the road against a playoff team in year 1? Defensively they forced some punts and got some sacks. Contrast that with the defenses we saw under the previous regime. Offensively the OL is the best group after the other units have been hit with heavy injuries. Keep hitting that portal and let's see if the offense can be developed from abominable to mediocre.

Reaction Score
What game are you watching? Zion does ocassionally make a good throw but they are few and far between. He misses swing passes regularly. He rarely if ever completes a pass between the numbers. I am starting to wonder if he can see receivers in the center of the field. Before we blame the receivers, let's dependably get them the ball.
I am glad that there is some reason on this board. Objectively speaking, 24 yards is 24 yards - seriously? To be clear, I would have been satisfied with him hitting 75% of those gimme passes and a couple nice attempts downfield. Instead it was kind of embarrassing to watch our offense sputter the way that it did.

I did see some nice things on Defense, wasn’t all bad yesterday and keep scheduling these games! We need to up our roster and improve conditioning of our athletes because these injuries seem abnormally high.

Reaction Score

He threw a terrible swing pass to a covered receiver for an incompletion, when right behind that receiver on the sideline was a completely uncovered Clercius.

The game is just moving so fast for him now that he isn’t recognizing these open players.

The staff is also dumbing down the offense for him to make it easier for him. Which makes it easy for defenses.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

You make no mention of WR's routinely dropping passes.

Fail. Again. As expected.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Ideally the MAC would be a great fit.

Do you want basketball to join the MAC? Unless you do, UConn is not playing football in the MAC.
Do you want basketball to join the Sun Belt? Unless you do, UConn is not playing football in the Sun Belt.
Do you want basketball to join CUSA? Unless you do, UConn is not playing football in CUSA.

These leagues are not taking an associate football member. They have said it time, after time, after time, after time.

I'd rather lose 59-0 at Michigan for $1.8m than at Western Kentucky in league play and the entire fanbase agrees.

Reaction Score
I'm in awe of the reaction. Did we really think Mora was going to have us "competing" on the road against a playoff team in year 1? Defensively they forced some punts and got some sacks. Contrast that with the defenses we saw under the previous regime. Offensively the OL is the best group after the other units have been hit with heavy injuries. Keep hitting that portal and let's see if the offense can be developed from abominable to mediocre.
This appears to be the default reaction to avoid the question on Turner.

No one expected us to be competitive with the number of injuries we had - not one person on this board. But yesterday there wasn’t even a trip to the red zone.

Now let’s talk about the most important position on the field - QB.

24 yards and last week not attempting a pas over 2o yards. Should we experiment with new QB next week - that is the question.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom