2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Nice bounce back for Plum. 29 points on 11-15 shooting. Plum and Wilson scored 53 of their 83 points.

Reaction Score
Thoughts?

I never understood why people doubted Angel Reese would contribute in the pros, but Morrow at #3 would be a wild overcorrection. She is the LSU player who looked like good collegian/AAAA pro all last year.

Even worse at Chicago, where she would be Not Quite Angel.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Boy it seems like Jewell Loyd has been pretty mediocre since the Olympic break. Did that experience shake her confidence or something?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Atlanta and Seattle put up a fight tonight. But we are pretty close to the four sweep scenario.

The wnba may have to discuss changing the playoff format. I am not sure about a system where half the teams don’t get a single home playoff game.

Didn't they used to have the middle game at the lower seeds court? Don't know why that would have changed.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
Thoughts?

YIKES!!!!! What an underwhelming draft outside of Paige and Kiki. I also think that this is a poor attempt at a mock draft. Who the heck wants to take Aneesah Morrow and Azzi Fudd in the lottery??????? I'd take Olivia Miles and Dominique Malonga in the lottery and Sonia Citron and Te-Hina Paopao much higher than this mock has them.

Sellers in the Top 10? Really???? And Amoore in the first round? Really???? This is just--depressing. Wake me up in 2027.

Reaction Score
Pretty solid list, Dallas technically has best odds for Paige so they should be listed at #1 IMO.

Other thoughts:

Chicago-I don't love Morrow as the pick for #3 unless she improves wing skills, specifically passing and 3pt shooting. They don't need anymore help rebounding with Angel/Cardoso in the frontcourt. I'd go with Miles here who is an elite playmaker and passer, something Chicago lacked this year.

Fudd would be a major gamble of a lottery pick. People are basing her draft stock on HS hype and an impressive 6-7 game stretch from 2 years ago. Not counting her out, but at this juncture I wouldn't pick her top 6-7.

The players listed 6-8 have huge upside due to size or athleticism:

Dominique Malonga is only 18 and won a silver medal with France. She's 6-6, extremely athletic and fluid. She could be another Ezi Magbegor type of player but taller. I don't see her dropping to 7th and could see her going as high as 4th.

Sellers is a big point guard and a solid playmaker. Brenda's players usually thrive in the pros and Sellers has the tools to be a really good one despite being a little under the radar due to Maryland struggling last year. She'd be a good pick for Washington (4/6) or Golden State (5).

Janiah Barker hasn't lived up to the hype yet but she is unbelievably talented. The way she handles and moves on the court reminds me Candace Parker. Indy could be a great landing spot for her to develop.

Harmon is likely coming back for a 5th year so I don't expect her to declare for 2025.

Citron/Pao Pao/Amoore are good value as late first rounders. Raven Johnson too is likely a top 10 pick if she declares.

From the current junior class, Lauren Betts, Ashlyn Watkins, and Flaujae Johnson are all draft eligible. All have lottery pick potential (maybe not Watkins due to the offcourt issues), but any of the 3 entering would shake up the draft. Flaujae in LA at #2 would be a great fit IMO.

All in all, it's not as front loaded as last year but I could see this class panning out with a number of really good players in the long run. A lot of the most talented players that aren't getting a ton of publicity early, but they could thrive if given the chance to develop.

Wonder if the Watkins decision could be affected by her off court issue and, if so, if it makes her more or less likely to go. If she is in, she’s a top 3 player.

Flaujae was the best player on LSU’s roster the back half of the season. If she makes another leap, I’m not sure #1 is settled.

Raven is a better prospect than Pao Pao.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
Very happy that LA canned Curt! Next move? Jettison Hamby. Then? Hope the ping-pong balls fall the way they're supposed to.

Reaction Score
Didn't they used to have the middle game at the lower seeds court? Don't know why that would have changed.
No. The first game used at the lower seeds home court. Some people complained that it wasn't fair for the lower seed to have the first game of a playoff series on their homecourt. Travel issues because of not have chartered flights was the primary reason the they didn't do the 1-1-1 format.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Question - does it make sense to move the draft talk to a different thread? Just curious.
@bballnut90

I was pondering the same thing when I initially saw this story and didn't post it (things to do). One one hand, I agree. On the other, the season is going to be done soon enough and we'll have a long off season that will be dominated by....new coaches, mock drafts, free agents and the expansion draft, among other fun things. Do we make separate categories or keep 'em in an off-season thread?
(I'm game for either/or....):)

Reaction Score
@bballnut90

I was pondering the same thing when I initially saw this story and didn't post it (things to do). One one hand, I agree. On the other, the season is going to be done soon enough and we'll have a long off season that will be dominated by....new coaches, mock drafts, free agents and the expansion draft, among other fun things. Do we make separate categories or keep 'em in an off-season thread?
(I'm game for either/or....):)
An off-season thread makes sense. Just thought with all the responses that the discussion deserved it's own thread.

Reaction Score
Watching the Vegas-Seattle game and it looked like Chelsea Gray is back to herself compared to when she first returned to play. Am I reading more into it than I should? I thought her play was impressive last night, especially some of those assists!

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Watching the Vegas-Seattle game and it looked like Chelsea Gray is back to herself compared to when she first returned to play. Am I reading more into it than I should? I thought her play was impressive last night, especially some of those assists!
Looks like a different person than the one we saw earlier in the summer in the WNBA and Olympics.
Gosh, last night, she was playing as if her life depended on it.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Very happy that LA canned Curt! Next move? Jettison Hamby. Then? Hope the ping-pong balls fall the way they're supposed to.
This is what I see with Dearica Hamby:
  • In 2024, Hamby increased her scoring averages to 17.3 points (51.2% FG, 34.1% 3PT) and added 9.2 rebounds, and 3.5 assists. Hamby also became the Sparks’ single-season points leader, finishing the year with 691.
  • That 9.2 rpg placed her fifth in the league.
  • The Associated Press named her the Most Improved Player in the league. She was named to the WNBA All-Star game for the third time; the first with the Sparks. (Edit: She came in 2nd in WNBA vote, after Ms. Carrington from the Sun.)
  • Outside of the W, she was an injury-addition to the U.S.A. 3x3 women's hoops team, which finished 3rd in the Olympics, winning a bronze medal. As you undoubtedly know, she took the place of her Sparks teammate, Cameron Brink, who was injured after a few games of her rookie year.
  • Given how well Rickea Jackson did her rookie year, one might figure that a font line of Hamby, Jackson and Brink would give the new LA Sparks head coach something to build on.
Yet ...
You've been consistent in calling for LA to send her elsewhere.
Why? If you have some time, I'd welcome your rationale.
- BTW, she's under contract through the 2025 season, so how will that "jettison" take place? Trade? If so, any ideas.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is what I see with Dearica Hamby:
  • In 2024, Hamby increased her scoring averages to 17.3 points (51.2% FG, 34.1% 3PT), 9.2 rebounds, and 3.5 assists. Hamby also became the Sparks’ single-season points leader, finishing the year with 691.
  • That 9.2 rpg placed her fifth in the league.
  • The Associated Press named her the Most Improved Player in the league. She was named to the WNBA All-Star game for the third time; the first with the Sparks.
  • Outside of the W, she was an injury-addition to the U.S.A. 3x3 women's hoops team, which finished 3rd in the Olympics, winning a bronze medal.
Yet ...
You've been consistent in calling for LA to send her elsewhere.
Why? If you have some time, I'd welcome your rationale.
- BTW, she's under contract through the 2025 season, so how will that "jettison" take place? Trade? If so, any ideas.

Thanks, Dillon77, for writing a response to WBBTakeover that needed to be written and I hadn't yet gotten around to... all you said, plus, Dearica's a Deacon (nearly a one of a kind).;)

12au

Baylor WBB
Reaction Score
So Noelle Quinn is gone right? Hard to imagine a different coach couldn't get more out of that offense.

I assume Loyd is injured, too. Seems like they should've limited her minutes a bit more. Is Whitcomb that washed that the DNP makes sense?

Anyway, I enjoyed that series.

Reaction Score
So Noelle Quinn is gone right? Hard to imagine a different coach couldn't get more out of that offense.

I assume Loyd is injured, too. Seems like they should've limited her minutes a bit more. Is Whitcomb that washed that the DNP makes sense?

Anyway, I enjoyed that series.
Not sure. Seattle gave her a multi-year extension last season. Terms aren't known to the public so we're in the dark as to whether there's a clause that let's them get out of it without a significant penalty.

Reaction Score
Not sure. Seattle gave her a multi-year extension last season. Terms aren't known to the public so we're in the dark as to whether there's a clause that let's them get out of it without a significant penalty.
Las Vegas back to the finals in 4 games.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
No. The first game used at the lower seeds home court. Some people complained that it wasn't fair for the lower seed to have the first game of a playoff series on their homecourt. Travel issues because of not have chartered flights was the primary reason the they didn't do the 1-1-1 format.
Yes they did have a 1-1-1. It was started in 1998 but I don't remember how long it lasted or when it was changed. Source: WNBA playoffs - Wikipedia (See the "History" paragraph)

Reaction Score
Pretty solid list, Dallas technically has best odds for Paige so they should be listed at #1 IMO.

Other thoughts:

Chicago-I don't love Morrow as the pick for #3 unless she improves wing skills, specifically passing and 3pt shooting. They don't need anymore help rebounding with Angel/Cardoso in the frontcourt. I'd go with Miles here who is an elite playmaker and passer, something Chicago lacked this year.

Fudd would be a major gamble of a lottery pick. People are basing her draft stock on HS hype and an impressive 6-7 game stretch from 2 years ago. Not counting her out, but at this juncture I wouldn't pick her top 6-7.

The players listed 6-8 have huge upside due to size or athleticism:

Dominique Malonga is only 18 and won a silver medal with France. She's 6-6, extremely athletic and fluid. She could be another Ezi Magbegor type of player but taller. I don't see her dropping to 7th and could see her going as high as 4th.

Sellers is a big point guard and a solid playmaker. Brenda's players usually thrive in the pros and Sellers has the tools to be a really good one despite being a little under the radar due to Maryland struggling last year. She'd be a good pick for Washington (4/6) or Golden State (5).

Janiah Barker hasn't lived up to the hype yet but she is unbelievably talented. The way she handles and moves on the court reminds me Candace Parker. Indy could be a great landing spot for her to develop.

Harmon is likely coming back for a 5th year so I don't expect her to declare for 2025.

Citron/Pao Pao/Amoore are good value as late first rounders. Raven Johnson too is likely a top 10 pick if she declares.

From the current junior class, Lauren Betts, Ashlyn Watkins, and Flaujae Johnson are all draft eligible. All have lottery pick potential (maybe not Watkins due to the offcourt issues), but any of the 3 entering would shake up the draft. Flaujae in LA at #2 would be a great fit IMO.

All in all, it's not as front loaded as last year but I could see this class panning out with a number of really good players in the long run. A lot of the most talented players that aren't getting a ton of publicity early, but they could thrive if given the chance to develop.

Are you sure that Betts, Johnson, and Watkins are draft eligible. All of them will turn 21 this year but you have to 22 in order to draft eligible.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Are you sure that Betts, Johnson, and Watkins are draft eligible. All of them will turn 21 this year but you have to 22 in order to draft eligible.
Cut off date is being born before 12/31/2003 and all were born before that date assuming what's on google is accurate

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom