2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Storm threw a big scare into the Aces, but 4th quarter was a different story. HUGE boost from Hayes off the bench, we got the playoff version of Gray, and Wilson took over 2nd half after a really rough 1st stanza.

Reaction Score
I think that the Aces will be the ones to ruin this prediction--unless you think they will get swept (which is possible).
?

Aces in control late.

All four top seeds won although the Lynx oddly struggled against the million dollar coach and his non defensive minded squad.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
?

Aces in control late.

All four top seeds won although the Lynx oddly struggled against the million dollar coach and his non defensive minded squad.
They were struggling early (understatement), but Point Gawd remembered how much she hates Seattle. ;)

Oh, and then there's the 2-point 4th quarter. I have no words for that. :oops:

Reaction Score
Has any team in the WNBA ever scored 2 points or less in the fourth quarter of a playoff game? Or in any quarter for that matter?

Reaction Score
?

Aces in control late.

I am surprised he apparently thought Seattle would sweep.

I think the Aces look like they are going to win three titles in a row. They are on a roll right now.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
The Aces-Storm game was close enough at the end of the third quarter to merit staying up later than I wanted to watch the 4th quarter.
From a fan's and (still) sometime player's perspective, that was a mistake. The first five minutes was some of the ugliest basketball I've seen in quite some time. I'd love to buy that both teams were applying spectacular defense, but it wasn't the case: missed bunnies, sloppy passing, was that really a shot? Ugh. :rolleyes:

BTW, those two points -- yes, 2 -- that Seattle score look even worse when you consider they were free throws. Not one field goal was scored by the Storm. Whatever was ailing Jewel Loyd is still ailing her because she looked halfway there, if that. Diggins-Smith and Gabby Williams were valiant until the 4th, then the air came out of the tires. And the team misses Ezi Magbegor in a major way. Her defensive presence -- or absence last night -- cannot be understated. Tiffany Hayes would just blow by people for a layup into areas that Ezi usually patrols.

Credit where credit is due: Hayes was great, Wilson had a fine second half, Chelsea Gray was solid and Coach Hammon got to play her Wilson + four guards/wings lineup given Magbegor's absence. And just think: Plum was utterly off last night. That won't happen two nights in a row.

Aces got the W but I'm not ready to annoint that they're totally back based on this game....

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
And just think: Plum was utterly off last night. That won't happen two nights in a row.
I counted at least 3 shots that were halfway in and then rattled back out, 2 of them were behind the arc. She was unbelievably unlucky is what she was.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I counted at least 3 shots that were halfway in and then rattled back out, 2 of them were behind the arc. She was unbelievably unlucky is what she was.
It's ok, @nwhoopfan....I'm not dissing her overall value ;). Call it "unlucky" or call it "utterly off," Plum went 1 for 8 last night.
I also noted that probably won't happen again in this series....she's too good.

Reaction Score
The game of the day was Lynx/Mercury. Phee played out of her mind.
I didn't think any of the games were boring like a couple of other posters said. I loved them. Best Sunday I've had in a while.
The NY-ATL was the only game I struggled paying attention to from the third quarter onwards. Having a full slate of WNBA to watch instead of some of the dredge called NFL games that were on was delightful.

Reaction Score
The NY-ATL was the only game I struggled paying attention to from the third quarter onwards. Having a full slate of WNBA to watch instead of some of the dredge called NFL games that were on was delightful.
Yeah, I struggled with this one too. I was getting ready to shut it off in the 4th when Amihere hit the court, so I had to stay and watch her play. She looked like she deserves a few minutes of play each game. Defensively, she was frustrating Stewie in a way that I don't see happen that often and she helped extend some plays by grabbing some offensive rebounds.

Reaction Score
Credit where credit is due: Hayes was great, Wilson had a fine second half, Chelsea Gray was solid and Coach Hammon got to play her Wilson + four guards/wings lineup given Magbegor's absence. And just think: Plum was utterly off last night. That won't happen two nights in a row.

Aces got the W but I'm not ready to annoint that they're totally back based on this game....
Absolutely. Digging deep near the end of games and fourth quarters demonstrates the resilience and character of the team. The Aces responded Storm did not.

Judging by the now completed first set of games the Liberty and Sun looked consistently outstanding. The Aces demonstrated the type of resilience one would expect from a two time champion. The Lynx were merely befuddling.

A "vaunted" defense giving up 95 points at home to a staggering Mercury team. Based upon regression to the mean I expect Reeves will adjust and Minnesota will hold the million dollar coach's squad to under 75 on Tuesday and comfortably win. But still...... 95 at home, wow.

To paraphrase the apt truism

Offense wins fans defense wins championships.

Liberty well they took care of business gave up 69 points.

Sun shut down CC..... And Kelsey.

Storm a 2-point closing quarter.

The Lynx seemed to be bamboozled by the million dollar coach in giving up 95 at home.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In a game where KP only scored 2 points and A'ja only shot 1-8 in the first half I was pleasantly surprised that the Aces were able to secure the win. Chelsea Gray and Tip Hayes really came in clutch the whole game.

I'm glad Tip seems to really enjoy her time in Vegas, it's hard to believe that this type of talent was really about to retire for good from the WNBA. Tip's big game was made sweeter knowing her mom was in attendance.

Reaction Score

On point takeaways as we look forward to the second round .....

NY

Road to a ring X-Factor: Ionescu’s shooting

Minn

Road to a ring X-Factor: Contributions from everywhere, swarming defense. (Hummmmmmmm.........)

Conn

Road to a ring X-Factor: Mabrey’s offense, forcing opponents to play their game (this should be a much bigger factor in the second round)

LV

Road to a ring X-Factor: Chelsea Gray being Chelsea Gray, playing on fumes

Reaction Score
Somebody voted Stewie 2nd
Phee's the reason the Lynx stayed afloat most of the season, hell, just last night, she had to score nearly 40 to beat the Mercury, who decided to play the best basketball of their lives. She's also the only player I know of who outrebounded the entire Aces team while also outplaying A'ja in B2B games.

Stevie's great and all, but compared to Phee? Not quite.

Reaction Score
In a game where KP only scored 2 points and A'ja only shot 1-8 in the first half I was pleasantly surprised that the Aces were able to secure the win. Chelsea Gray and Tip Hayes really came in clutch the whole game.

I'm glad Tip seems to really enjoy her time in Vegas, it's hard to believe that this type of talent was really about to retire for good from the WNBA. Tip's big game was made sweeter knowing her mom was in attendance.

She showed why she earned that 6th WOTY award.

Reaction Score
The Aces-Storm game was close enough at the end of the third quarter to merit staying up later than I wanted to watch the 4th quarter.
From a fan's and (still) sometime player's perspective, that was a mistake. The first five minutes was some of the ugliest basketball I've seen in quite some time. I'd love to buy that both teams were applying spectacular defense, but it wasn't the case: missed bunnies, sloppy passing, was that really a shot? Ugh. :rolleyes:

BTW, those two points -- yes, 2 -- that Seattle score look even worse when you consider they were free throws. Not one field goal was scored by the Storm. Whatever was ailing Jewel Loyd is still ailing her because she looked halfway there, if that. Diggins-Smith and Gabby Williams were valiant until the 4th, then the air came out of the tires. And the team misses Ezi Magbegor in a major way. Her defensive presence -- or absence last night -- cannot be understated. Tiffany Hayes would just blow by people for a layup into areas that Ezi usually patrols.

Wife had me watching "Big Brother" that is why I missed the Aces/Storm game. I hope to watch the replay, if that is available on League Pass. later today. I saw some of the high lights.

Reaction Score
Well at least 1 good game today. Phoenix erased a 23 point deficit, now going back and forth w/ about a minute left. Career high 36 for Collier. Cloud going off for the Merc.
Not sure what the heck Minny was doing out there. Letting Phoenix back into the game like that. Hopefully Minny closes it out on Wednesday.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It's ok, @nwhoopfan....I'm not dissing her overall value ;). Call it "unlucky" or call it "utterly off," Plum went 1 for 8 last night.
I also noted that probably won't happen again in this series....she's too good.
Sometimes you have good luck, sometimes you have bad luck. I think Hayes got at least 3 circus shots to go in.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Sometimes you have good luck, sometimes you have bad luck. I think Hayes got at least 3 circus shots to go in.
Absolutely. Hayes also benefitted from having no Ezi Magbegor of Seattle in the lane. Once Hayes blew by a Storm defender, there was clear sailing to the hoop.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Wife had me watching "Big Brother" that is why I missed the Aces/Storm game. I hope to watch the replay, if that is available on League Pass. later today. I saw some of the high lights.
ESPN replayed all four games today.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
@MilfordHusky, I'm not saying that Stewie isn't a Top 2 WNBA player. She very clearly is. I just don't think she had an MVP-type season this year.

I agree with this. I was reacting to your saying that Stewie wasn't the #3 player this season. I predicted and thought the ranking would be: A'ja, Phee, Stewie, and Caitlin. Which player did you have at #3?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom