2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
These players get around.
Washington Mystics player Sika Kone played last Thursday in DC, before the biggest crowd in WNBA history.
Today, Monday, she is back with her Spanish team Avenida and practicing.
Players have to make a living. No break for the tired.

Reaction Score
In a game where KP only scored 2 points and A'ja only shot 1-8 in the first half I was pleasantly surprised that the Aces were able to secure the win. Chelsea Gray and Tip Hayes really came in clutch the whole game.

I'm glad Tip seems to really enjoy her time in Vegas, it's hard to believe that this type of talent was really about to retire for good from the WNBA. Tip's big game was made sweeter knowing her mom was in attendance.

Hayes upping her game in the latter part of the season is why Becky could adjust her sub roster rotations. Towards the end of the regular season, except for the starting five, Becky has played Plumb and Young together sparingly. It made a big difference. This season, probably due to Chelsea being absent early one, those two together on the floor have not been very effective. Now, one or the other is usually sitting on the bench with either Hayes or Clark replacing them. Clark has also upped their game.

With Chelsea gone for the first half of the season and sub par for most of it, you had the ball being handled and dominated by three scorers. Especially, Plums and Youngs ball dominance hindered ball movement for players who were off ball scorers. Becky figured out that the team often functioned better with only one of the two on the court at the same time. As long as Hayes or Clark produces, this is possible and creates better offensive flow.

Young, though she has picked it up the last few games, has played poor defense most of this season. Plum never was a good defender, so it helps the teams defense not having them both on the floor at the same time. Becky expanding her rotations has been the difference. It allows her to keep non productive players off the floor. Sometimes the ball will just not drop and if what you bring to the table is limited to offense its better if you sit.

Reaction Score
Shut the Front Door!! NBA TV is replaying all four WNBA games from yesterday! NBA TV never replays WNBA games.
Shocked Eddie Murphy GIF
Kate Mckinnon Omg GIF by Saturday Night Live

Reaction Score
…there is no doubt in my mind that Stewie is a better basketball player. She can do things in transition and from the perimeter than Wilson can't.
Exactly. Just like real hoopheads know Scotty Skiles was the best player on Shaq’s rookie Orlando team because he had more assists and hit some 3 pointers.

Reaction Score
The level of disrespect Stewie gets from the fans and media is atrocious. Wilson may be the most dominant player in the W, but there is no doubt in my mind that Stewie is a better basketball player. She can do things in transition and from the perimeter than Wilson can't.
Huh? How is she being disrespected?She won the MVP award last year.

Sure she can do things that Wilson can't do. Wilson has also expanded her game and had an unbelievable season in a lot of different stat categories. Stewart held her own, but voters thought Collier had a stronger performance to earn second.

It's an annual award based on a player's performance during the season. She's won twice. Just because it went to someone else doesn't mean Stewart is being overlooked by anyone. It means someone had a stronger season and based on what A'ja Wilson did, she earned it.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
I agree with this. I was reacting to your saying that Stewie wasn't the #3 player this season. I predicted and thought the ranking would be: A'ja, Phee, Stewie, and Caitlin. Which player did you have at #3?
I had them switched--Caitlin #3 and Stewie #4. At the beginning of the season, Sabrina looked like NY's MVP candidate, but Stewie's play from the Olympics carried over to the second half of the season and reestablished her as the Liberty's MVP.

What we've seen the last two seasons in MVP voting is that narrative matters more than people want to admit. People have to be compelled to vote for you for that award. Last year, A'ja had the numbers (both in terms of efficiency and counting stats) to win MVP back-to-back, but she was losing the narrative game to Stewie ("Stew York City"/NYL double their win total from previous season) and AT (triple doubles/stepped up with an All-Star center out for the season). Almost nobody who had an MVP vote cared that A'ja was leading the team with the best record in the league and that she played half the season without a former MVP (who was the best defensive player in the league until she went down). Las Vegas topping the league was expected despite the challenges they faced. Riquna's legal issues also put the Aces in a bad spot, but I don't like her and won't speak much about that.

And that (the narrative talk) brings me to Caitlin and this year's Indiana Fever. Yes, they were expected to be a playoff team with her addition. Yes, she has help. However, the 1-8 start had me thinking that the season was going to be a disaster. And yet--it was just the opposite. There was noticeable growth in Caitlin's confidence that had her going from uber-talented rookie who looked unsure of herself to big-time talent who clearly looks like she belongs amongst the current league greats. And when that switch took place, the Fever took off. To lead the WNBA in a major statistical category is an enormous accomplishment. To do so as a rookie is almost unheard of. And to lead the league in a stat like assists as a rookie PG is absurd. That speaks on her value as a player in this league. I don't see Indiana being able to recover from 1-8 unless there's a significant shift in Caitlin's mentality. That's why I had her #3 in MVP this season (had her as high as #2 at one point, but she cooled off just a bit towards the end of the season). She's going to win MVP--it's just a matter of "when".

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
She didn’t last year either.
I thought she (Stewie) was one of three strong candidates, but I don't think she was the MVP (I would've gone with A'ja, obviously). Unfortunately, A'ja didn't have the narrative in her favor. This year, she clearly had that AND the eye-popping numbers. Hence, the unanimous MVP!

Reaction Score
Huh? How is she being disrespected?She won the MVP award last year.

Sure she can do things that Wilson can't do. Wilson has also expanded her game and had an unbelievable season in a lot of different stat categories. Stewart held her own, but voters thought Collier had a stronger performance to earn second.

It's an annual award based on a player's performance during the season. She's won twice. Just because it went to someone else doesn't mean Stewart is being overlooked by anyone. It means someone had a stronger season and based on what A'ja Wilson did, she earned it.
4 voters didn't even think Stewie was a top 5 WNBA player this season despite being the best player on the best team. A lot of people are still arguing Sabrina should make first team over her despite being a black hole of bricked shots since July. To me, thats just a bit crazy.

I think Stewie's terrible shooting early in the season colored the perception of her year but imo she has a much better case at top 5 than Sabrina and imo the second place vote should have been much closer.

So while i don't think Stewie is being disrespected relative to A'ja I do think her season is being disregarded overall.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Thoughts?

Pretty solid list, Dallas technically has best odds for Paige so they should be listed at #1 IMO.

Other thoughts:

Chicago-I don't love Morrow as the pick for #3 unless she improves wing skills, specifically passing and 3pt shooting. They don't need anymore help rebounding with Angel/Cardoso in the frontcourt. I'd go with Miles here who is an elite playmaker and passer, something Chicago lacked this year.

Fudd would be a major gamble of a lottery pick. People are basing her draft stock on HS hype and an impressive 6-7 game stretch from 2 years ago. Not counting her out, but at this juncture I wouldn't pick her top 6-7.

The players listed 6-8 have huge upside due to size or athleticism:

Dominique Malonga is only 18 and won a silver medal with France. She's 6-6, extremely athletic and fluid. She could be another Ezi Magbegor type of player but taller. I don't see her dropping to 7th and could see her going as high as 4th.

Sellers is a big point guard and a solid playmaker. Brenda's players usually thrive in the pros and Sellers has the tools to be a really good one despite being a little under the radar due to Maryland struggling last year. She'd be a good pick for Washington (4/6) or Golden State (5).

Janiah Barker hasn't lived up to the hype yet but she is unbelievably talented. The way she handles and moves on the court reminds me Candace Parker. Indy could be a great landing spot for her to develop.

Harmon is likely coming back for a 5th year so I don't expect her to declare for 2025.

Citron/Pao Pao/Amoore are good value as late first rounders. Raven Johnson too is likely a top 10 pick if she declares.

From the current junior class, Lauren Betts, Ashlyn Watkins, and Flaujae Johnson are all draft eligible. All have lottery pick potential (maybe not Watkins due to the offcourt issues), but any of the 3 entering would shake up the draft. Flaujae in LA at #2 would be a great fit IMO.

All in all, it's not as front loaded as last year but I could see this class panning out with a number of really good players in the long run. A lot of the most talented players that aren't getting a ton of publicity early, but they could thrive if given the chance to develop.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
4 voters didn't even think Stewie was a top 5 WNBA player this season despite being the best player on the best team. A lot of people are still arguing Sabrina should make first team over her despite being a black hole of bricked shots since July. To me, thats just a bit crazy.

I think Stewie's terrible shooting early in the season colored the perception of her year but imo she has a much better case at top 5 than Sabrina and imo the second place vote should have been much closer.

So while i don't think Stewie is being disrespected relative to A'ja I do think her season is being disregarded overall.

1). Haven't seen much chatter about Ionsecu in that respect, but wow. Have a hard time seeing Ionescu as a first team selection.

2). I hear you, but it was going to be a tough call. Stewart's shooting issues and Collier's time out due to plantar fasciitis cancelled each other out if you ask me. Their stats for the season are almost identical. Personally, I thought the votes for second and third would have been tighter.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Thoughts?

Liked a lot of what @bballnut90 said.
In particular, I agree with his take on Aneesah Morrow going to Chicago. Yes, she's from the Windy City and, yes, played a year with Angel Reese, but I don't think she offers enough shooting to stretch the floor as a three opposite Reese.
Chicago should look to bolster its wing/ball handling/outside shooting.
  • If a point guard, Olivia Miles could be an excellent choice in part because she's also a tall point guard who can rebound and create her own fast break.
  • Will Onyenware be back? If so, that could be your starting wing. I'd look for a big guard/wing who has speed and can run the floor.

The rest of the comments will come under categories:

Show Me
  • With all due respect, let's see how Fudd and Harmon come back from injuries. It's been a long time since we've seen Azzi and think it would be prudent to see how she looks and holds up. Ditto Harmon. Miles has been actively practicing since late winter and supposedly looks all the way back.
  • Also, those two -- and Miles -- can come back for one more year. I expect them all to exit stage pro, but you never know.

Versatility Will Help
Players that can do a lot of this and that will increase value. That's why I think Shyanne Sellers and Sonia Citron will go first round, being solid in just about every facet of the game. If Citron gets picked by Minnesota, she's slot in with Carleton and play the next 10 years thinking she's gone to heaven under Coach Reeve.

Hear Me Out on this One...
  • Yes, Indiana needs to upgrade at the power forward spot, where the subs are playing early and often instead of Ms. Smith.
  • I'm not sure Barker offers a lot different than Smith, to be candid. Would like to see how she does on the Left Coast.
  • Why not go with a three-way scorer at power forward who can also rebound, willingly plays defense and is excellent at the pick and pop? That would be ND's 6'3" Maddy Westbeld, who can just drive south on Rte. 31 to join the Fever. Yes, it's a homer pick, but she's solid, has movement is underrated and she's got the mentality.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Okay, whaddya all got to say about Ionescu tonight? She's still a key member of the Liberty and she was scorching in this game. 36 pts/9 assists 5-11 on 3's 12-23 overall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom