2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Playoffs

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Hmm...a veteran team that has been knocking on the door of a championship for years, vs. a young team without a single playoff appearance among its starters. What were we thinking was gonna happen? Fever hung close for a while but Sun blowing them out. Indy can't survive Mitchell and Clark both being ice cold (4-23 from 3 combined). Triple double for AT, Bonner doing her thing, and Mabrey went off.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
While many WNBA fans try to suggest otherwise, there's a great deal of groupthink that takes place within our circles. That has led many to completely writing off a team like Connecticut as a contender. It's not wise. They play suffocating defense and now have a momentum-shifting shooter. They are a scary team.

I'll remind everyone that the Sun, not the Lynx, won the season series. Then again, I'm reminded that season series results only matter when it best suits an agenda (for example, Liberty fans who are convinced that, should Vegas advance to the 2nd round, they'll easily defeat the Aces based on season series results and will go on to defeat Minnesota, who defeated them 2-1, because the regular season series don't matter).

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Atlanta. Atlanta. SMH. They hung in there but New York is just too much.

I didn’t see it that way, game was a blowout from the get go. Tanisha Wright also benched starters very early in the game, basically conceding a loss midway through the 2nd half

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
93-69 Connecticut over Indiana.

Indiana was relatively close in the first three quarters, but the Sun went ballistic in the fourth, 25-12, to finish it off.
DeWonna Bonner got started early and finished with 22 on 7-11 from the floor (2-3 from 3) and 6-6 from the floor.

Marina Mabrey went ballistic in the third, scoring in double figures, draining three 3's. She scored a WNBA record 27 off the bench in a playoff game, but that's deceptive, because Ty Harris went out of the game after 3 minutes with a leg injury. Mabrey came in and didn't leave, starting the second half. Still 27 points is, well, 27 points. And Alyssa Thomas was hot throughout, registering a triple double (12 points, 10 rebounds, 13 assists).

After the game, AT told Holly Rowe she and the Sun are very aware they've lost the last game two's in consecutive playoff series.
If Indiana wants to make it three in a row, it should start in two places: hitting some three pointers and keeping the Sun off the offensive boards. Oh, keeping track of Mabrey might help, too.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I didn’t see it that way, game was a blowout from the get go. Tanisha Wright also benched starters very early in the game, basically conceding a loss midway through the 2nd half
Liberty never trailed. Leonie Fiebich hit four 3-pointers and scored a career-high 21 points on 7-of-8 shooting while Breanna Stewart added 20 points and 11 rebounds.

Reaction Score
93-69 Connecticut over Indiana.

Marina Mabrey went ballistic in the third, scoring in double figures, draining three 3's. She scored a WNBA record27 off the bench in a playoff game, but that's deceptive, because Ty Harris went of the game after 3 minutes with a leg injury. Mabey came in and didn't leave, starting the second half. Still 27 points is, well, 27 points. And Alyssa Thomas was hot throughout, registering a triple double (12 points, 10 rebounds, 13 assists).

After the game, AT told Holly Rowe she and the Sun are very aware they've lost the last game two's in consecutive playoff series.
It should start in two places: hitting some three pointers and keeping the Sun off the offensive boards. Oh, keeping track of Mabrey might help, too.
My wife who was watching the game with me asked if Marina was the MVP. I said no that's the Indiana defense.....

Reaction Score
Which is ridiculous to me. I don't even think she should've finished 3rd.
The level of disrespect Stewie gets from the fans and media is atrocious. Wilson may be the most dominant player in the W, but there is no doubt in my mind that Stewie is a better basketball player. She can do things in transition and from the perimeter than Wilson can't.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Well at least 1 good game today. Phoenix erased a 23 point deficit, now going back and forth w/ about a minute left. Career high 36 for Collier. Cloud going off for the Merc.

Reaction Score
No one is surprised at the results as the top three seeds take care of business during the afternoon games.

What is surprising is the game in Minneapolis. Over the last 10 games the three and seven Merc have shown absolutely no character and lack of cohesion as a team.

Cloud like Mabry in the earlier game really had a field day.

If I were a Lynx fan I'd wonder what the heck happened to have the defense shredded at home.

Stephanie White and her squad watched the second half of this game and I think we can all agree will not allow Minnesota to score 90 plus points. More importantly the Sun may have found some inspiration offensively as the Lynx were at times befuddled and at other times simply beaten to the spot. At home!

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Lynx pull away at the end 102-95. Collier finished w/ 38, 20 for McBride, 12 for Carleton, 10 off the bench for Hines-Allen. Smith had a couple big blocks late in the game.

33 pts/10 assists for Cloud, 21 for Taurasi, Copper got started late but scored 16.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Magbegor has been ruled out for Game 1 (concussion). Russell is not the same but at least an experienced player who was in the rotation for the two most recent Championships in Seattle.

Reaction Score
Oh, it was a blowout but Atlanta put up a decent fight in the 2nd quarter but the hole they dug was too much to overcome long term.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Bridget Carleton!!! Oooowee!!!
Happy Regular Season GIF by NBA

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
I just want to throw this out there. I am feeling pretty good about this prediction.
I think that the Aces will be the ones to ruin this prediction--unless you think they will get swept (which is possible).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom