2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---) | Page 31 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LA clinched the #1 spot (44.2% chance of getting Paige) in the 2025 draft lottery.
No so fast on that. Sparks (24-51) are only one game up in the loss column over the Mercury (26-50) for the top lottery spot. The last two season records combined determines lottery eligibility. Mystics (30-45), Wings (31-44), Dream (31-44), Sky (31-44), Fever (32-44), and Storm (32-43) are in contention for the last two lottery positions being they are within two games of each other in the loss column (Mystics, 5 games out with 5 games left, could still mathematically be in contention for top 2, but not likely barring a big collapse by them to end the season).

Then you have Golden State’s draft situation which has yet to be determined.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No so fast on that. Sparks (24-51) are only one game up in the loss column over the Mercury (26-50) for the top lottery spot. The last two season records combined determines lottery eligibility. Mystics (30-45), Wings (31-44), Dream (31-44), Sky (31-44), Fever (32-44), and Storm (32-43) are in contention for the last two lottery positions being they are within two games of each other in the loss column (Mystics, 5 games out with 5 games left, could still mathematically be in contention for top 2, but not likely barring a big collapse by them to end the season).

Then you have Golden State’s draft situation which has yet to be determined.
Only the four teams that don’t make the playoffs are eligible for the draft lottery for the first four picks.
  • Then, the two-year win-loss % of said teams determine their odds for the first two picks;
  • The third and fourth picks go to those of said teams who didn’t get the first two picks — assigned by their two-year loss %.
Full Draft Rules - WNBA

LA (7-28) is not making the playoffs. They will have the worst two-year win loss % (currently at 0.320) of the last five teams. So @BigTenGuy is correct.

Washington, Atlanta (pick goes to Washington), Dallas and Chicago are in the running for the next 3 teams for the draft lottery.

Mostly 5 games to go to determine the 2025 WNBA draft order and the odds of the first four picks.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
No Reese, no problem. Chicago with an easy win over Dallas. What happened to the team that beat Vegas and New York? 28 for Carter, 21/9 for Harrison.
Chennedy in full-Carter mode last night: 28 points on a tidy 10-17 shooting from the field and 7-9 from the FT line.
Not to be overlooked: Izzy Harrison started up front and while she wasn't off-the-Angel-Reese charts on rebounding, she still grabbed 9 boards. Where she really contributed was shooting a solid 9-18 from the field and 3-3 from the line for 21 points. (Bri Turner -- remember her? -- came off the bench to grab another 4 rebounds and block a shot in 11 minutes while spelling Harrison.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LA clinched the #1 spot (44.2% chance of getting Paige) in the 2025 draft lottery.
And with the stunning upset, the Sparks take the dub over the Mystics in the Paige Bueckers Bowl.

Reaction Score
And with the stunning upset, the Sparks take the dub over the Mystics in the Paige Bueckers Bowl.
Isn’t Washington in roughly the same position currently since they own Dallas’s spot too? Either one could be good for Paige personally.

Reaction Score
Isn’t Washington in roughly the same position currently since they own Dallas’s spot too? Either one could be good for Paige personally.
Oh do they? I haven't checked pick swaps and such in a while.

Reaction Score
Yes.

Dallas and Chicago have a swap option on their first round draft picks. This was a result of the Soares trade whereby Dallas’ Atlanta pick was sent to Washington.

As you pointed out, Washington has a chance for two of the second through fourth highest odds for the #1 draft pick. Dallas will only have one (guaranteed) pick — the better of their own or Chicago’s.

Reaction Score
Oh the irony, but fitting considering who her team mate is. ;)
Not even irony. I'm sorry, but I have to call BS on this on behalf of Lexie and Gabbie. Yes, they were both Caitlin's teammates. But they are so much more than that. Both were favorites of mine in college. And totally unique and quite different. Lexie had the skills to be RoY in her rookie season, but not the opportunity... and maybe not quite the killer instinct someone like Caitlin has. Gabbie is just a magical presence on the court, a defensive disruptor, a decent perimeter shooter, and a delightful personality. She had the good fortune to get to ride the Iowa train through the NCAA tournament thanks to Caitlin and her teammates... and I loved watching her on that stage.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
Maybe someone shouldn't take 21 shots make 6, and go 1 for 9 from 3. Stewie goes 8-14, JJ for 3-4, they combine for 13-17 at the free throw line.
Maybe some of those shots need to go elsewhere. Clark is shooting better then Sabrina, 2Pt, and 3Pt percentage, has more rebounds and assists. The only thing Sabrina is better at is less turnovers.
I don't think it's fair to compare Sabrina to Caitlin--as Caitlin is the far superior player. There really isn't anything that Sabrina does that Caitlin isn't capable of doing in some capacity, while there are plenty of things that Caitlin brings to the table that Sabrina can only dream of doing.

Sabrina is and will be a great WNBA player for her time. Caitlin is likely to enter the GOAT conversation (with A'ja and others) in the next five or so seasons. They're not on the same level.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
How is Sandy not a "Championship" coach when she won a championship? Folks already know how I feel about coach Quinn. She is a decent coach with a decent coaching staff. The players speak highly of her and support her. The owners have her back. That is all that matters.

Heck. Folks were saying Becky Hammon wasn't a "Championship" coach until she won her first championship. Folks knew that she knew the game, but nobody knew how she would game plan or handle player rotations. It is working out pretty darn good for her in Las Vegas.
I like Noelle Quinn, but it doesn't feel that she's getting the best out of Jewell Loyd. That said, I don't think it's all on her (a lot of it's on Jewell and her putrid shot selection and sometimesy approach to defense). Simply stated, Jewell needs to be better.

It's interesting that people didn't think of Becky as a championship coach considering that she's done something that only two other coaches in WNBA history have done (and something that Cheryl Reeve and Bill Laimbeer never did). Becky has her faults (and I'm not afraid to mention them), but she's a great coach--and certainly a much better one than Sandy Brondello. I can't think of another coach who would've been able to win Game 4 of last year's WNBA Finals given the circumstances (down the star PG, down an MVP, and down her back-up). Sandy Brondello, meanwhile, had two healthy MVPs--and took a major L at home in front of 16,000+ on a school night.

The argument against Sandy Brondello's coaching acumen stems from her Phoenix days. She won a title her first year with a stacked team (that she did not build) and then proceeded to not sniff another Finals until 2021 (they were lucky to get there--Vegas choked and that was the end of Laimbeer)--which would be her final season for the Mercury. They were favored to beat the Sky--but lost. Eight seasons--one title. She's had some of the best talent in the history of women's basketball, including having the one player that many here recognize as the GOAT. One title. Two Finals appearances. She's also underperformed as the Opals head coach, IMO.

Sandy is an underperforming coach. If she is able to win this season, good for her. The Liberty are the favorites to win it all this year. But I will be taking "the field" when it comes to the Liberty versus the field--and that's mainly because of her.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
And Dearica Hamby likely lost out on an All-WNBA spot.

As a Paige fan, I would like to see two changes to LA if Paige has to be a Spark:

(1) Curt Miller fired (good riddance)
(2) Hamby traded (either part of a sign-and-trade for Satou Sabally or traded for Aaliyah Edwards and another piece from Washington).

Reaction Score
Not even irony. I'm sorry, but I have to call BS on this on behalf of Lexie and Gabbie. Yes, they were both Caitlin's teammates. But they are so much more than that. Both were favorites of mine in college. And totally unique and quite different. Lexie had the skills to be RoY in her rookie season, but not the opportunity... and maybe not quite the killer instinct someone like Caitlin has. Gabbie is just a magical presence on the court, a defensive disruptor, a decent perimeter shooter, and a delightful personality. She had the good fortune to get to ride the Iowa train through the NCAA tournament thanks to Caitlin and her teammates... and I loved watching her on that stage.
I was making a joke in reference to the person who posted the comparison. Not saying they're anything similar, but I get why they saw it that way.

Appreciate the defence of Hull, but I'm part of the camp who have been wanting to see her get these opportunities from the start. It's great to see what she's been able to do with a real opportunity to contribute on the court.

Reaction Score
I was making a joke in reference to the person who posted the comparison. Not saying they're anything similar, but I get why they saw it that way.

Appreciate the defence of Hull, but I'm part of the camp who have been wanting to see her get these opportunities from the start. It's great to see what she's been able to do with a real opportunity to contribute on the court.
I was being light hearted. No disrespect intended.

Reaction Score
And Dearica Hamby likely lost out on an All-WNBA spot.

As a Paige fan, I would like to see two changes to LA if Paige has to be a Spark:

(1) Curt Miller fired (good riddance)
(2) Hamby traded (either part of a sign-and-trade for Satou Sabally or traded for Aaliyah Edwards and another piece from Washington).
I don't think the Wings will give up Sabally for anything. Not after the MVP-like stats she's been posting right after injury.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
I don't think the Wings will give up Sabally for anything. Not after the MVP-like stats she's been posting right after injury.
It's not up to them. She's going to be an unrestricted free agent. They may be able to core her, which would allow them to trade her if she finds a team she'd like to play for (and they agree to trade terms--i.e. the potential trade package). With Hamby signed by LA through 2025, that's probably as good as they're going to get for Satou (maybe the Sparks can throw in a late-round pick or two, or a prospect like Zia Cooke). Otherwise, they can choose not to core her and risk losing her for nothing in return.

Of course, none of this matters if Satou actually wants to return to the Wings.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
Lexie has been playing on another level after that slow start. Whatever happened, I hope she keeps it going.
This has to be the best season of her career. I was doing a little stat checking and saw that she's leading the league in 3-point FG% right now (close to 50%)!!!!!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
@WBBTakeover : "I like Noelle Quinn, but it doesn't feel that she's getting the best out of Jewell Loyd. That said, I don't think it's all on her (a lot of it's on Jewell and her putrid shot selection and sometimesy approach to defense). Simply stated, Jewell needs to be better."

@baggerbob : "She (Sandy Brondello) just isn't a Championship coach, the same with Quinn in Seattle."

This comment regarding the Quinn-Loyd coaching relationship came up earlier in the summer and, while I made a note of it, I didn't have the time to look at it. This time, I decided to pull up a bunch of charts, articles. Exec. summary:
  • Based on what I saw, it looks like Noelle Quinn is getting out of Jewell Loyd what she wants because Loyd's minutes, shot attempts have all gone up since Quinn became head coach in 2021. In shot, she's complicit in what we see from JL.
  • These jumped the shark in 2023 once Stewie left for the right coast and Sue B. retired. While I haven't broken down the first half of the 2024 season vs. the post-Olympic part, Loyd's shot attempts are coming down and are now at 16.9 per game.)

Some excerpts:
2021: Averaged 17.9 ppg. Shot 42% (6.2-14.8 attempts) overall; 38% from three. Shot 89% from line (3.4-3.8 attempts).
2022: Averaged 16.3 ppg. Shot 39.6% (5.6-14.1 attempts) overall; 38.5% from three. Shot 89% from line (2.8-3.1 attempts)
Post-Stewie/Bird
2023: Averaged 24.7 ppg. Shot 37% (7.5-20.3 attempts) overall; 35.6% from three. Shot 89% (6.7-7.5 attempts) from line.
2024 (so far): Averaging 20.1 ppg. Shooting 37% (6.2-16.9 attempts); 28.3% from three. Shooting 88% (6.1-6.9 attempts).

Some takeaways:
  • I don't know what the accepted number of attempts per game is for a volume shooter, but let's say it's 15. When Jewell went over 15 attempts per game, her overall shooting percentage dipped under 40%. Her three-pt. percentages have been steadily dropping, with this year's 28.3% the lowest since her rookie year in 2015.
  • Quinn has also played Loyd 35 minutes per game in '23 and 34 mpg in '24. I don't think Quinn thought she had a choice in '23, but Loyd is clearly not shooting three's well this season. Get Sami Whitcomb in more? Olympic burnout? As noted in posts last week, Seattle is one of (the worst) three-pt. shooting teams in the league, so this drought is affecting more than Loyd (Whitcomb, Diggins-Smith).
  • However, one area where Loyd's decision have benefits: Look at how often she gets to the line the last two years. And she's stroking these at a very proficient level. So, maybe Coach Quinn should be having Loyd take it to the rack, rather than jacking up the three?

As to whether Quinn is a championship coach, well, Gary Kloppenburg was at the helm during the Covid-affected season that the Storm last won, so Quinn hasn't hoisted one as a head coach yet. The Storm and Las Vegas are duking it out for the 4th playoff spot.
I'll let the rest of the season and how they do in the playoffs add more to her body of work....

p.s. I'd be interested in our West Coast diehard, @nwhoopfan, take on Quinn over the years, this season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds