2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---) | Page 34 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Gift link. SF Chronicle story on new Valkyrie locker room facilities, etc at Chase Center. Valkyrie facilities

“For the Valkyries’ dedicated locker rooms, a 6,800-square-foot space in Chase Center is being renovated and will include a training room, a player lounge and dining space, separate offices for the coaching staff, medical staff and player development staff.

Their practice home, formerly the Warriors training facility for 22 years, will feature two-and-a-half NBA-size practice courts with 17 basketball hoops, a weight room, hot and cold pools and locker rooms. It’s also where the front office will be based.”
Piggybacking with the post in Twitter. The renderings are gorgeous.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Let's look at stats:

*Alltime WNBA Single Season Scoring Record:

*Second (could get to First) WNBA single season rebounding record.

First in Blocks for this season. (Who has the all time seasonal record for blocks?)
Second (tie) in Steals for this season.
Most points in a game for this season

She looks strong on offense and defense. Still, it's going to boil down to opinion. What other players with past super seasons can we compare her to?
A'ja Wilson's non-MVP 2023 season:
22.8 points (3rd in league), 9.5 rebounds (2nd in league), 2.2 blocks (1st in league). 1.4 steals (9th in league), 55.7% FG (3rd in league).

Stats are almost all better this year, but the team was far better a year ago. Aces last year went 34-6, this year they'll likely finish about 25-15. Factoring in team record, I'm inclined to go with Wilson's 2023 season > 2024, but I wont retort against anyone claiming this is the best individual season ever.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Aces last year went 34-6, this year they'll likely finish about 25-15. Factoring in team record, I'm inclined to go with Wilson's 2023 season > 2024, but I wont retort against anyone claiming this is the best individual season ever.
Does that have anything to do with Wilson? Gray is a very pale shadow of her former self and Young and Plum were both quite a bit more efficient.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Does that have anything to do with Wilson? Gray is a very pale shadow of her former self and Young and Plum were both quite a bit more efficient.
I'd argue winning is an important criteria even though it's a team game. Her teammates haven't performed as well as they did a year ago but in all reality, I think Vegas should be a better team than they are with prime Wilson + Plum/Young in their starting lineup.

Reaction Score
A'ja Wilson's non-MVP 2023 season:
22.8 points (3rd in league), 9.5 rebounds (2nd in league), 2.2 blocks (1st in league). 1.4 steals (9th in league), 55.7% FG (3rd in league).

Stats are almost all better this year, but the team was far better a year ago. Aces last year went 34-6, this year they'll likely finish about 25-15. Factoring in team record, I'm inclined to go with Wilson's 2023 season > 2024, but I wont retort against anyone claiming this is the best individual season ever.
Honestly I think both years are fairly similar. The biggest difference between last year and this year is minutes played. A'ja has played 4 more minutes more a game than last season. Hammon alluded to last season that A'ja would have lead the league in both points and rebounds last season had she played her more in the 4th quarters.

Looking at the end results of 2023 A'ja had 14 less rebounds than league leading AT who played 200 more minutes(5 games worth of basketball). Meanwhile A'ja had also scored about 30 points less than lead leading Jewel Lloyd despite anywhere between 100-120 less minutes (3-4 games worth) than Stewie and Jewel. I still hold to this day that the MVP should have been hers and her season was undervalued by the public.

This year, I think she's done much of the same as last year. The only difference is the guards are more inconsistent this year so A'ja is forced to play more out of a necessity instead of comfortable blowouts. While the team record is worse I do think regression of the guard play overall plus no quality consistent contributions from the frontcourt has made this season that much more impressive to me.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Let's look at stats:

*Alltime WNBA Single Season Scoring Record:

*Second (could get to First) WNBA single season rebounding record.

First in Blocks for this season. (Who has the all time seasonal record for blocks?)
Second (tie) in Steals for this season.
Most points in a game for this season

She looks strong on offense and defense. Still, it's going to boil down to opinion. What other players with past super seasons can we compare her to?

The longer season is affecting season records and career records. If A'ja has the highest ppg, breaking the record of Jewell or Diana, and the most rebounds, I'd call it the greatest season. In the middle of last season, I thought Stewie and A'ja were about even. Since then, A'ja has clearly been #1 in the world. Strangely, the team is not as good as last year.

Reaction Score
Gift link. SF Chronicle story on new Valkyrie locker room facilities, etc at Chase Center. Valkyrie facilities

“For the Valkyries’ dedicated locker rooms, a 6,800-square-foot space in Chase Center is being renovated and will include a training room, a player lounge and dining space, separate offices for the coaching staff, medical staff and player development staff.

Their practice home, formerly the Warriors training facility for 22 years, will feature two-and-a-half NBA-size practice courts with 17 basketball hoops, a weight room, hot and cold pools and locker rooms. It’s also where the front office will be based.”
This squad coming out the gate with some nice facilities! Love it when I see/hear owners of teams going above and beyond for their teams.

Reaction Score
The longer season is affecting season records and career records. If A'ja has the highest ppg, breaking the record of Jewell or Diana, and the most rebounds, I'd call it the greatest season. In the middle of last season, I thought Stewie and A'ja were about even. Since then, A'ja has clearly been #1 in the world. Strangely, the team is not as good as last year.
So, do we include her Olympic performance in determining “greatest season?” Other players with great Olympic performances? Didn’t Stewie have a year of MVP in the wnba and the Euroleague?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So, do we include her Olympic performance in determining “greatest season?” Other players with great Olympic performances? Didn’t Stewie have a year of MVP in the wnba and the Euroleague?

The Olympics and World Cup are normally in even-numbered years. Maya won all 4 of her WNBA championships in odd-numbered years. In 2012, Maya won the Spanish League and Euroleague Championships, plus an Olympic Gold Medal. From 2003 to 2018, Maya never had a span as long as 2 years in which she failed to win a major championship (AAU, Georgia, NCAA, World Cup, Olympics, Spanish League, Euroleague, Chinese League, and WNBA). The hallmark of consistency.

Reaction Score
The Olympics and World Cup are normally in even-numbered years. Maya won all 4 of her WNBA championships in odd-numbered years. In 2012, Maya won the Spanish League and Euroleague Championships, plus an Olympic Gold Medal. From 2003 to 2018, Maya never had a span as long as 2 years in which she failed to win a major championship (AAU, Georgia, NCAA, World Cup, Olympics, Spanish League, Euroleague, Chinese League, and WNBA). The hallmark of consistency.

All true but how does that answer the question though? Should the Olympic portion of this year be considered as part of the exercise in determining whether Wilson's season is the best of all time?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
All true but how does that answer the question though? Should the Olympic portion of this year be considered as part of the exercise in determining whether Wilson's season is the best of all time?

It doesn't really answer it. Maya didn't have 3 championships in any one season, but she never went very long without one.

For A'ja, her Olympic MVP performance seemed to be a continuation of her WNBA season. It didn't come out of the blue at all. She had a rough first half in the gold medal game, but kept at it and eventually put up big numbers. Stewie was even with A'ja for the first 4 games in Paris, in my opinion, but A'ja passed her at the end, especially in the finals. Gabby was 1 bucket away from possibly grabbing the MVP award.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Raise your hand if you thought Sloot would outscore Ogunbowale this game (well it's not quite over yet so that could change, but that it's even a possibility is unexpected).

Reaction Score
Okay, how is Dallas this bad? They started to play well after the Olympic break w/ Sabally's return, but that has gone out the window.
I feel like the chemistry is not right. They have the talent but it’s not translating and looking the way it should on the court. I wish Sims could have stayed with them but yeah it’s just a hot mess

Reaction Score
I would do two iterations (first one: solely WNBA, second one: a filter of WNBA+):
  • there are top players who don’t play overseas (e.g. Elena Della Donne);
  • with the advent of Unrivaled, if it takes off, some top players may choose to play in the 3x3 tournament rather than overseas in the offseason; this seriously impairs comparisons (within a season and across seasons) of top players — how do you compare 5x5 vs 3x3 tournaments?
  • the Olympics / World Cup should probably be a comparison note, as top players in non-Olympic / World Cup years are unnecessarily disadvantaged.
The flavor of the above discussions seems to favor (recent) forwards who could dominate leaderboards in points and rebounds.

But how about guards/wings like Cynthia Cooper, Maya Moore and Diana Taurasi, a center like Lisa Leslie or an earlier forward like Lauren Jackson who had comparatively dominant seasons (even more so if normalization is applied)?

Maybe a composite stat like Efficiency should be the controlling variable?

Reaction Score
Okay, how is Dallas this bad? They started to play well after the Olympic break w/ Sabally's return, but that has gone out the window.
I think they've given up for the season now that they're eliminated from the playoffs. Some of the younger players are still playing with heart but the rest are just going through the motions. IMO I think it would be best if the bench players get more experience and playing time now that their season is effectively over.

Reaction Score
There are 3 teams fighting for the last spot in the playoffs: Sky, Dream, and Mystics. Interestingly, three of the Dream's last four games are against the Sky (x1) and Mystics (x2), so their destiny is still in their control. The Dream and Mystics play tonight at 7:30 ET on ION and again on Sunday. It should be a fun series to watch. I expect some really good basketball with nothing held back. If either team goes 0-2, they will be eliminated.

Reaction Score
The last fever vs aces game generated a lot of hateful (on both sides) fan social media arguments about A’ja vs Caitlin for MVP. It was disgusting on both sides. There may have been some justification regarding complaints about officiating - but isn’t there always

Nevertheless the rematch has some importance in jockeying for playoff position. I think the Fever players also want to fight hard to stay above .500.

Reaction Score
The last fever vs aces game generated a lot of hateful (on both sides) fan social media arguments about A’ja vs Caitlin for MVP. It was disgusting on both sides. There may have been some justification regarding complaints about officiating - but isn’t there always

Nevertheless the rematch has some importance in jockeying for playoff position. I think the Fever players also want to fight hard to stay above .500.
Agreed that the rhetoric needs to die down with respect to the MVP conversation.

This should be another good game tonight. How does Indiana adjust? Was it just an off night for Clark and Mitchell or was it Vegas' strategy? How will the Wilson vs Boston battle in the paint play out this time? A lot of interesting plot lines.

Reaction Score
All I seen online was that the Aces guards were fouling CC on every possession and getting away with too much physicality. I haven't been able to watch the game, so can't give an opinion. I saw the highlights, which of course won't show those plays.

Reaction Score
Was it just an off night for Clark and Mitchell or was it Vegas' strategy? How will the Wilson vs Boston battle in the paint play out this time?
All I seen online was that the Aces guards were fouling CC on every possession and getting away with too much physicality.
It wasn't an off-night for MItchell, but rather Aliyah Boston... she and Clark shot a combined 9 of 32 from the floor. Regardless, your question is spot on, cancontent.

As for the Aces' physical defense on Caitlin, I've seen Vegas play enough that it looked pretty much like business as usual. Jackie Young is simply aggressive beyond the norm, and she definitely bothered Clark. It was very much reminiscent of early-season games for the Fever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom