2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---) | Page 40 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Atlanta finally earned the last playoff spot by beating the Liberty. Their reward? A playoff series with the Liberty! :p
Sabrina has been terrible since the Olympics shooting about 34% Overall and about 29% from 3. The Liberty will have a hard time beating Atlanta.
If they do they will lose in the semifinals to whoever wins between Las Vegas and Seattle.
Sabrina taking more shots per game then Stewie is bad coaching. Never would have happened with a point guard like Sue, or a good coach.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Beat that drum! I would say Ionescu carried NY the first half of the season. She's cooled off while Stewie has heated up. It happens.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
LA beats Minny handily in another absolutely nobody cares game. No Collier or McBride for the Lynx tonight.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Vegas resting everybody tonight. Starters--Clark, Gustafson, Hayes, Colson and Martin. If Bell has already made an appearance in Q1, well that tells you everything.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Merc shouldn't even bother showing up for the playoffs. Down 33-9 to a Storm team missing 2 starters. Lynx gonna coast through the first round.

Reaction Score
I would have loved to see Washington but Atlanta was battling all season for it
Me too, but you have to give them kudos for having a chance right up until the end of the season. Especially considering the start to their season and all the injuries.

Reaction Score
I think Atlanta is a lot more talented than Washington. I think Atlanta managed it because of talent. To me Washington is the team that “battled” all year.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Wow, Dallas' D is so bad they gave up 98 points to the Aces...without Wilson, Young, Gray and Plum! Amazing.

Meanwhile in the Valley of the Sun, if that was Taurasi's swan song, Seattle wasn't very gracious.

Reaction Score
Last night's game between Connecticut and Minnesota was a doozy! Carleton coming through with the 3 pointer to win the game was awesome to see. Hope we get to see a playoff series between these two teams.
I was so geeked for Bridget when she made that clutch shot! If Minny and Connecticut square up in a playoff series. It is going to be epic!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Richard Cohen of Her Hoops Stats (Already) Has His Free Agency Primer Ready

He goes over the types of free agency, brings in extenuating (?) circumstances such as expansion draft and upcoming CBA. However, he does put names to categories. I'll list some recognizable names by the team they're currently playing for. Some are very valuable to their current teams; some will raise debate; while others could be valuable for a number of teams.

Atlanta Dream
- Tina Charles, Cheyanne Parker-Tyus

Chicago Sky
- Diamond DeShields, Isabelle Harrison, Brianna Turner

Connecticut Sun
- Entire starting front line: DeWanna Bonner, Brionna Jones, Alyssa Thomas

Dallas Wings
- Natasha Howard, Satou Sabally

Indiana Fever
- Kelsey Mitchell, Erica Wheeler

Las Vegas Aces
- Kelsey Plum, Alysha Clark, Tiffany Hayes

Los Angelese Sparks
- Odyssey Sims

Minnesota Lynx
- Myisha Hines Allen

Phoenix Mercury
- Brittany Griner, Diana Taurasi

New York Liberty
- Breanna Stewart, Courtney Vandersloot

Seattle Storm
- Nneka Ogwumike, Sami Whitcomb, Gabby Williams

Washington Mystics
- Elena Della Donne

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yikes. Free agency could really hurt Connecticut. Can they afford to re-sign that entire frontcourt? I think they can move on from Bonner from a basketball standpoint, but I think wherever Thomas goes, she follows. So, whatever team gets them has to have enough cap space to over pay Bonner or Thomas won't come.

BTW-I think Alyssa Thomas is grossly overrated.

Reaction Score
I’m still not totally sold on Eric Thibault overall but I think he did a really good job with the Mystics this year. Even with Austin and Sykes this is a team that’s frankly just less talented than most others in the league and then you have to consider how much time they both missed. For the Mystics to have started 0-12 and then have gone .500 the rest of the way to be in the playoff hunt is pretty impressive. Hope they can get the EDD situation sorted out, they do need an influx of talent.

12au

Baylor WBB
Reaction Score
So is there really a chance this is the end for Taurasi?

I assume she comes back, tho for a lesser number. She was 234k this year. Maybe something along the lines of Griner's 150k deal last year.

12au

Baylor WBB
Reaction Score
Is there any chance Lin Dunn retires after this season? That seems like the only way the Fever don't blow the Clark-Boston rookie contract window... The Fever FA tax should be less this winter, but I still expect we'll go for an overpriced player. Not referring to Mitchell--they should definitely re-sign her.

Reaction Score
Is there any chance Lin Dunn retires after this season? That seems like the only way the Fever don't blow the Clark-Boston rookie contract window... The Fever FA tax should be less this winter, but I still expect we'll go for an overpriced player. Not referring to Mitchell--they should definitely re-sign her.
I don’t think so. As recently as this morning she was quoted in an ESPN article saying that this is “Year 3 of her rebuild plan” and that the Fever are right where they need to be. I like Dunn’s attitude and spirit but I think it’s undeniable that the Fever have made some puzzling if not outright bad front office decisions in her time there.

On a similar note, I don’t think Christie Sides should lose her job after guiding Indiana to .500 and the playoffs, but I still feel question if she’s the right person to lead Indiana back to glory. Certain things, like not giving Clark the ball in final-shot moments (when she has a storied history of making those shots), have me wondering.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don’t think so. As recently as this morning she was quoted in an ESPN article saying that this is “Year 3 of her rebuild plan” and that the Fever are right where they need to be. I like Dunn’s attitude and spirit but I think it’s undeniable that the Fever have made some puzzling if not outright bad front office decisions in her time there.

On a similar note, I don’t think Christie Sides should lose her job after guiding Indiana to .500 and the playoffs, but I still feel question if she’s the right person to lead Indiana back to glory. Certain things, like not giving Clark the ball in final-shot moments when she has a storied history of making those shots) have me wondering.
I agree. To expand on your points, I believe they will get some leeway because of what has been accomplished since they joined the team. Considering where Indiana was just three years ago, this could be seen as significant progress.

Reaction Score
Tough way to end one's career. Commend them on their authenticity and speaking up about what they went through at Cal.
I believe Clarendon has a triple double early on during this past season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds