2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---) | Page 39 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---)

Status
Not open for further replies.

12au

Baylor WBB
Reaction Score
Looks like the Fever will face the Sun in round 1. Or the Aces if LV wins and Conn loses on Thursday. I'll feel a lot better about the Fever if it's the Sun. Though anything can happen in a best-of-3

Reaction Score
Interesting how much Berger love there is around here. I've been frustrated with their handling of her as well, but for a different reason. I wish they'd cut her (and Saxton) to invest in players w/ actual development potential. Or someone who would've been useful during the season.
What gives you the impression that Berger doesn't have potential? Some here were thinking Hull wasn't going to do much either and look how she's doing during the second half of the season.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Last night's game between Connecticut and Minnesota was a doozy! Carleton coming through with the 3 pointer to win the game was awesome to see. Hope we get to see a playoff series between these two teams.
Some serious back-and-forth action at the end. I can see what the Sun's Harris dropped down to help on Collier, given she had just previously hit a jump in that same area. That said, she was caught in no-women's land. Stil, great dagger by Carleton.

Reaction Score
Last night's game between Connecticut and Minnesota was a doozy! Carleton coming through with the 3 pointer to win the game was awesome to see. Hope we get to see a playoff series between these two teams.
We will

Reaction Score
And Las Vegas seems to be rounding into form just in time to make a title run...

Reaction Score
Bridget is a very nice person, always smiling and upbeat. Her personality reminds me of Katie Lou. And to think that the Sun once had her and cut her...
Agreed. It also took her some time to get to the level of play she is at now. Time overseas in places like Israel and Spain have been a huge benefit.

This is the tough part of the WNBA with so few positions for players. Some players have the potential but we may not get to see it because teams may not have the ability to keep them on their roster to develop them.

Reaction Score

Guessing this move was made to deal with Aerial Powers not being available. She was a sparkplug during the Olympics. Hopefully she gets some playing time in this short window of opportunity.

12au

Baylor WBB
Reaction Score
What gives you the impression that Berger doesn't have potential? Some here were thinking Hull wasn't going to do much either and look how she's doing during the second half of the season.
That's a good point about Hull, I was not anticipating this level of play from her.

It is just my subjective assessment from watching Fever games for the past several years. Just seems too much of a tunnel-vision player when making reads (or not reading at all). Doesn't seem to have the shooting, or the defense? I guess I just don't see the roadmap... What does she bring to the table to be an effective player in the league?

I didn't watch much of her at Indiana, so would be interested to hear the other side's case.

P.S. In the moment picking her over Horston was pretty bad.

Reaction Score
That's a good point about Hull, I was not anticipating this level of play from her.

It is just my subjective assessment from watching Fever games for the past several years. Just seems too much of a tunnel-vision player when making reads (or not reading at all). 2) Doesn't seem to have the shooting, or the defense? I guess I just don't see the roadmap... What does she bring to the table to be an effective player in the league?

1). I didn't watch much of her at Indiana, so would be interested to hear the other side's case.

P.S. In the moment picking her over Horston was pretty bad.

1). This is also why I asked because her game is kind of similar to Hull's (tough defender, can score and shoot from outside). She was a key piece as to why Indiana has become the program it is. Holmes wasn't the sole reason they became a ranked program for the last few years.

2). The Wikipedia link will help expand and provide context, she was a First Team All-Big 10, three years in a row, was a key piece to Indiana making the Elite 8 for the first time in their history, along with consistent double digit scoring for those 3 years are some of her strengths.

She brings a lot of what Lexie does to the table. She has excellent basketball IQ and can defend. The comments from posters isn't coming from a myopic Fever perspective but from watching her play for Indiana and perform at a high level while in college.

And in fairness, Indiana has had a spotty record with drafting the last 2-3 years. Similar to Emily Engstler and Celeste Taylor, she was drafted to a team where there has been a glut of players with similar skillsets. Had Horston been drafted by Indy, she could have faced the same challenge in my opinion.

Reaction Score
I am interested in Berger as a player. I suspect she doesn’t play more for defensive reasons. But Sides didn’t rate Celeste Taylor either. And now she starts for the Mercury. There may be a good player there!

I think a lot about the expansion draft. And I think about possible players that may be available. If I am golden state, Berger would be on my list. I would be more interested in acquiring her than either Katie Lou or Saxton for example.

Reaction Score
Berger is a great mid-range shooter and I think that would be her biggest asset to the Fever. I think the reason she is sitting is due to her style of play. She tends to play a little slower and deliberate, which was great for last year's team but not this year's team.

Reaction Score
Berger is a great mid-range shooter and I think that would be her biggest asset to the Fever. I think the reason she is sitting is due to her style of play. She tends to play a little slower and deliberate, which was great for last year's team but not this year's team.
Seems like defense would be a nice change of pace for the fever

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
If the Sun beat Chicago they will have to play Indiana. Dam, the way they and CC are playing I am afraid they may have a problem playing them. If they do win, then they will play as long as Minnesota beats Seattle.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Seems like defense would be a nice change of pace for the fever
If she plays in place of Hull, is that really an improvement on defense? And if she is on the floor instead of Mitchell or Clark, that's a HUGE drop off in offense.

Reaction Score
If she plays in place of Hull, is that really an improvement on defense? And if she is on the floor instead of Mitchell or Clark, that's a HUGE drop off in offense.
Improvement? Maybe not. Consistent to give Hull a breather? I think so. I wouldn't consider her a sub for Mitchell or Clark.

From what I remember, she wasn't a player teams could exploit defensively when she was at Indiana.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Improvement? Maybe not. Consistent to give Hull a breather? I think so. I wouldn't consider her a sub for Mitchell or Clark.

From what I remember, she wasn't a player teams could exploit defensively when she was at Indiana.
So maybe get all the minutes KLS is getting?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Looking like a weird night in the W. With most teams already locked into their playoff position, it appears several of them are playing like they really don't care about the results of these games.

Reaction Score
Looking like a weird night in the W. With most teams already locked into their playoff position, it appears several of them are playing like they really don't care about the results of these games.
Yeah, no joke and somehow the Fever were a last second shot away from winning despite playing the bench for 75% of the game.

Reaction Score
Atlanta finally earned the last playoff spot by beating the Liberty. Their reward? A playoff series with the Liberty! :p

Reaction Score
I think the field is set. The last two games of the night won't have any bearings on the playoff seedings.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Clearly NY and Indiana were resting starters. They all played, but limited minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom