2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---) | Page 37 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Seeing how much improved Alanna Smith and Courtney Williams are in a single season is itself evidence of Reeves' coaching wizardry
You seem to be ignoring Smith's improvement last year w/ the Sky. This year seems to be more of the same. Scoring slightly up, rebounding slightly down, overall FG% slightly down but 3 point % way up. The real question is why Phoenix (well this does tie back to Brondello) and Indiana got so little out of her.

Honestly not sure about Williams' improvement either. Stats aren't everything but she's been a productive player in the league for a long time, for multiple franchises. She averaged more assists last year with Chicago, so even the idea that she magically turned into a PG w/ Minnesota when she'd never tried such a thing before doesn't really hold up.

I think you might be giving Reeves more credit than she deserves here.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Atlanta beat Washington in OT. All 5 starters in double figures for the Dream, only 1 for the Mystics. That's a stark contrast.

That race for #8 is almost for sure going to come down to the last game(s) of the season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Another game w/ big implications coming up, Merc against the Sky. Chicago could move 1 game ahead, or be in a 3 way tie for 8th. Seems like Phoenix hasn't won many games since the Olympics break. Somebody has to win this one.

Reaction Score
You seem to be ignoring Smith's improvement last year w/ the Sky. This year seems to be more of the same. Scoring slightly up, rebounding slightly down, overall FG% slightly down but 3 point % way up. The real question is why Phoenix (well this does tie back to Brondello) and Indiana got so little out of her.

Honestly not sure about Williams' improvement either. Stats aren't everything but she's been a productive player in the league for a long time, for multiple franchises. She averaged more assists last year with Chicago, so even the idea that she magically turned into a PG w/ Minnesota when she'd never tried such a thing before doesn't really hold up.

I think you might be giving Reeves more credit than she deserves here.
Yeah, I largely agree. Both Smith and Williams had developed into transferably productive W players prior to landing with the Lynx. Reeves deserves credit for fusing their talent with Collier & Co. but the individual development was well underway.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
A'ja is nasty. Sun got nothin' for her today. Gonna hit 1000 points for the season.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Today the Aces looked like a team that could do some damage in the playoffs.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Did Cardoso get hurt today? Only played 9 minutes.

Merc edge the Sky, we have a 3 way tie for 8th w/ 2 games left.

Griner/Taurasi combined for 51, 18 pts/11 assists for Cloud.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Seattle missing 2 starters--Loyd and Magbegor. Looked like it wouldn't matter, up as much as 16. Then LA came roaring back and took a lead. As bad as the Sparks' season has been, they're competitive more often than not. Storm did pull out the W. Nice games for Nneka, SDS and Gabby.

Vegas 1 game up on Storm, they play on Tuesday. Aces could potentially still catch Connecticut for 3rd.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
Don't look now, but the Aces are actually playing defense! :eek:

Since giving up an inexcusable 93 points to the Wings on August 27, they've held every opponent thereafter to under 80 points. 7-1 record during that stretch (very easily could've been 8-0).

Some might call this "peaking at the right time".

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Three teams are tied for 8th place. Washington, Chicago and Atlanta
Mystics must win one of their two games against Liberty or Fever. Both games are in DC

Chicago and Atlanta play each other on Tuesday, so whoever wins that game has the lead.

Chicago's last game is at Connecticut
Atlanta's last game is at New York

Reaction Score
Three teams are tied for 8th place. Washington, Chicago and Atlanta
Mystics must win one of their two games against Liberty or Fever. Both games are in DC

Chicago and Atlanta play each other on Tuesday, so whoever wins that game has the lead.

Chicago's last game is at Connecticut
Atlanta's last game is at New York
I tried to do the math in my head, but easily got myself confused so I may be wrong. With the Atlanta win today, they have won the regular season series against the Mystics and they can do no worse than tie with Chicago, which I think will mean that Atlanta would get the nod for the 8th seed in a hypothetical three way tie. So Atlanta and Chicago are still in control of their fates but the Mystics must have more wins than Atlanta to get the 8 seed.

Reaction Score
Did Cardoso get hurt today? Only played 9 minutes.

Merc edge the Sky, we have a 3 way tie for 8th w/ 2 games left.

Griner/Taurasi combined for 51, 18 pts/11 assists for Cloud.
Yes. Her shoulder was injured in the last game and she was questionable for today. Could only go. 9 minutes

Reaction Score
I tried to do the math in my head, but easily got myself confused so I may be wrong. With the Atlanta win today, they have won the regular season series against the Mystics and they can do no worse than tie with Chicago, which I think will mean that Atlanta would get the nod for the 8th seed in a hypothetical three way tie.
At the moment, with Atlanta, Washington and Chicago in a 3-way tie, tankathon.com/wnba has Chicago and Atlanta (pick traded to Washington) in the WNBA draft lottery, and Washington in the playoffs.

Reaction Score
I tried to do the math in my head, but easily got myself confused so I may be wrong. With the Atlanta win today, they have won the regular season series against the Mystics and they can do no worse than tie with Chicago, which I think will mean that Atlanta would get the nod for the 8th seed in a hypothetical three way tie. So Atlanta and Chicago are still in control of their fates but the Mystics must have more wins than Atlanta to get the 8 seed.
The Dream and Mystics spilt the regular season 2-2, however in the event of a 2-way tie between those teams, the Dream currently hold the 2nd tiebreak (i.e. record vs teams .500 or better i.e. 2-19 vs 4-17). In the event of a 3-way tie along with Sky, the Mystics hold that tiebreaker. Here is an CBS Sports article.

There are still lots of potential scenarios but the Mystics are definitely now on the outside looking in and need to win at least one (as Sky & Dream play each other), but potentially both remaining games (if Dream beat Sky).

Reaction Score
The Dream and Mystics spilt the regular season 2-2, however in the event of a 2-way tie between those teams, the Dream currently hold the 2nd tiebreak (i.e. record vs teams .500 or better i.e. 2-19 vs 4-17). In the event of a 3-way tie along with Sky, the Mystics hold that tiebreaker. Here is an CBS Sports article.

There are still lots of potential scenarios but the Mystics are definitely now on the outside looking in and need to win at least one (as Sky & Dream play each other), but potentially both remaining games (if Dream beat Sky).
Thank you! I counted that the Dream were 3-2 against the Mystics but I went back and saw one was a preseason game. Something felt odd about them playing 5 games and I should have trusted that feeling and taken a deeper look ...

Reaction Score
Don't look now, but the Aces are actually playing defense! :eek:

Since giving up an inexcusable 93 points to the Wings on August 27, they've held every opponent thereafter to under 80 points. 7-1 record during that stretch (very easily could've been 8-0).

Some might call this "peaking at the right time".
The Aces were clicking on their defensive rotations! OMG!! They looked really good over the last few games on defense. I still see a whole lot of "You got 5 shots. My turn to jack up 5 shots". Megan had some looks and the hot hand, but Gray and Young looked her off on a couple plays. I was like "Nooooo! Let's get a Heat Check!" on Megan.

Reaction Score
The season is ending just how it started: with everyone injured.
So true. If Mystics had a healthy roster, they could have been right in the mix of the playoff hunt. We will see what develops next year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yep, lots of offense, no defense in Fever-Wings game. Went down to the wire, Indy wins 110-109. 35 for Clark, 30 for Mitchell. For Dallas 27 apiece for Ogunbowale and Sabally and 26 for Howard.

Still 6 TOs for Caitlin. What is the single-season record?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Seattle missing 2 starters--Loyd and Magbegor. Looked like it wouldn't matter, up as much as 16. Then LA came roaring back and took a lead. As bad as the Sparks' season has been, they're competitive more often than not. Storm did pull out the W. Nice games for Nneka, SDS and Gabby.

Vegas 1 game up on Storm, they play on Tuesday. Aces could potentially still catch Connecticut for 3rd.

Gabby can be a difference-maker. She's also a stat-stuffer.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Still 6 TOs for Caitlin. What is the single-season record?

Yikes, I looked it up. The top 4:

Ticha Penicheiro 135

Alyssa Thomas 137

Alyssa Thomas 138

Caitlin Clark 220 and counting.

Caitlin has had a great year, but lowering her turnovers would really help. She broke the old record by over 60%.

Reaction Score
Yikes, I looked it up. The top 4:

Ticha Penicheiro 135

Alyssa Thomas 137

Alyssa Thomas 138

Caitlin Clark 220 and counting.

Caitlin has had a great year, but lowering her turnovers would really help. She broke the old record by over 60%.
I tend to think in terms of NET assist. (Total assists per game minus total turnovers per game) rather than assist to turnover ratio. It's just easier for my mine to wrap around,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom