2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---) | Page 36 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I didn't see that at all. Honestly, I thought she was terrible save a few plays. She played up too high and allowed Caitlin to blow right by her on multiple occasions. Of course, she's done something similar all season with other guards.

This has been a season to forget defensively for Jackie Young. She's going to have to find a way to get quicker (maybe lose some of the bulk) or else she's going to get destroyed defensively next season as well.

That said, she's still a better defender than Kelsey Plum. I'm sure the Valkyries fans will love that defensive "effort" from KP after a couple of 10-30 seasons with her as the franchise face.
I would totally agree with you about Youngs defensive play this season. I initially thought it was because she was focused too much on offense due to them playing without and having to compensate for Grays absense. But it has continued into the present. She does slow and sluggish and far too often makes positioning misakes.

In one of their recent losses, she made two end of game mistakes that hurt the team. The team was up by three with little time on the clock. They needed to defend against the three but Young played off her man and let her take an open undefended shot to tie. She was also beaten for the same players go ahead shot to win the game right after. Young was playing off her man because she had been beaten off the dribble all game. However, in that circumstance you give up the two but defend the three.

Often players ride on their reputation when reality no longer lives up to it. I remember when Alana Beard won two defensive player of the year awards in a row, with he second one being rather iffy. She followed those playing very mediocre defense her last season, but the media still labeled her as being an elite defender even though it was obvious that she was not. I think Alana recognized this an retired the next season. She had lost her quickness. I think Youngs defensive drop off, that actually began last season, is one of many reasons for the Aces decline.

Something just seems off with her this season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, in the game that had direct imput on the 8th (and final) playoff spot, the Mystics beat the Dream in a tight one, 72-69. Mystics outscored the Dream 20-10 in the 2nd quarter to take a 4-pt. halftime lead and they basically went neck and neck in the second half. Brittney Sykes led the way for the Mystics with 20, while Stef Dolson has a solid outing, with 13 points and 8 rebounds. Sika Kone continued her solid play as of late, finishing with 9 points and 8 rebounds. The Mystics were the visiting team here, so that was a key win. They're 13-24, as are the Sky.

Liya played only 11 minutes and may have gotten hurt. Do you have any details?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Plus- minus stats are not always indicative of a players level of play while on the court.
I'm well aware, but I thought it was interesting none of the other starters had a +/- nearly that high in this game.

Reaction Score
SDS has been playing great, which I love to see. Think she's gets a lot of flack. Gabby Williams is starting to find her spot in that lineup.

Gray looked really good against the Fever. I'm going to freshen up on some highlights from last season, because I forgot her game. It's so good.
I agree 100% SDS has been playing well lately and each player, especially Gabby and Jordan, are getting stronger and locking in on the defensive end of the floor, Seattle might be a problem in the playoffs.

12au

Baylor WBB
Reaction Score
So looking at the standings, the Fever need to win 1 of last 2 to stay ahead of the Mercury (or the Mercury to lose 1 of last 3). So the ideal scenario for the Fever tomorrow is being ahead comfortably, then CC goes and screams at a ref until she gets tech, which triggers suspension for final regular season game (and not risking playoff-game suspension)

Reaction Score
So looking at the standings, the Fever need to win 1 of last 2 to stay ahead of the Mercury (or the Mercury to lose 1 of last 3). So the ideal scenario for the Fever tomorrow is being ahead comfortably, then CC goes and screams at a ref until she gets tech, which triggers suspension for final regular season game (and not risking playoff-game suspension)
Interesting strategy but it makes sense. The techs due to her reactions over calls are what got her into this situation. Remove those from the equation, it wouldn't be a concern for her.

Reaction Score
Interesting strategy but it makes sense. The techs due to her reactions over calls are what got her into this situation. Remove those from the equation, it wouldn't be a concern for her.
Do you mean she doesnt act her age

Reaction Score
Do you mean she doesnt act her age
No. There were two or three techs that were called for her being overly demonstrative(e.g., slamming the ball, hitting the padding around the nets). She acknowledged this after one game herself this season. That impacts the total she has and why she's close to suspension. It may not be the right way to phrase it but it's more about picking your spots.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Thoughtful analysis/prediction for COY

This seems pretty easy to me. Other than Napheesa Collier (and sorta McBuckets), who else does Minny have that even approximates the talent of Stewie, Jonquel, Sabrina, and Sloot? Of course a super-team is going to be "one of the best of the last decade," even if your coach is just "meh."

Seeing how much improved Alanna Smith and Courtney Williams are in a single season is itself evidence of Reeves' coaching wizardry, whereas unfortunately I haven't actually seen any of the starting players from the Lib improve under Brondello's tutelage (maybe Laney-Hamilton, but she was already improving in NY before Sandy relocated). Maybe it's set against expectations, but I've not seen Sabrina consistently execute with the same effectiveness as she did her senior year at Oregon, and she's been in the W four seasons now.

And last point: rewatch the US-Australia Olympic semifinals. Probably the most one-sided performance by the US in the tournament, and a head-to-head matchup between Reeve and Brondello. Yes, we had the better players, but I didn't see anything Brondello did to limit their effectiveness or get us out of our groove, in a way that Belgium, France, and even Japan were able to do for stretches.

Reaction Score
This seems pretty easy to me. Other than Napheesa Collier (and sorta McBuckets), who else does Minny have that even approximates the talent of Stewie, Jonquel, Sabrina, and Sloot? Of course a super-team is going to be "one of the best of the last decade," even if your coach is just "meh."

Seeing how much improved Alanna Smith and Courtney Williams are in a single season is itself evidence of Reeves' coaching wizardry, whereas unfortunately I haven't actually seen any of the starting players from the Lib improve under Brondello's tutelage (maybe Laney-Hamilton, but she was already improving in NY before Sandy relocated). Maybe it's set against expectations, but I've not seen Sabrina consistently execute with the same effectiveness as she did her senior year at Oregon, and she's been in the W four seasons now.

And last point: rewatch the US-Australia Olympic semifinals. Probably the most one-sided performance by the US in the tournament, and a head-to-head matchup between Reeve and Brondello. Yes, we had the better players, but I didn't see anything Brondello did to limit their effectiveness or get us out of our groove, in a way that Belgium, France, and even Japan were able to do for stretches.

Right!? Wasn’t New York put together to have these wins? No one thought the lynx would be where they are.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I wont go with the obvious choices.
Thibault with the Mystics is my pick.
Way less talent then any other playoff team(not there yet but a win today makes them almost a lock) and they started the year 0-12.
Injuries to key players and they traded away a key player at the deadline.
Not a lot of losing by blow outs since the Olympic break.
His teams have played well in crunch time, 7-3 in last 10.
No Austin or Edwards today.
He has got the most out of young players, Melbourne and Engstler.
The award is "Coach of the Year" not Coach with a winning record. or a top 3 finish.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Figured this would be the case today. Fingers crossed it's something she can return from, especially if they make the playoffs.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score

The announcers for today's Atlanta - Washington game said that a decision has been made to shut down Shakira Austin for the season as a safety precaution. I tuned in a few minutes late and did not hear an update on Aaliyah, but I see that (per ESPN) the team announced that she is "out" for today's game, with an expected return date of Tuesday (9/17).

I believe I saw Aaliyah in street clothes on the Washington Bench (wearing all white??), but I could not see her face and cannot confirm that it was her.

I watched Friday's game between Atlanta and Washington. Aaliyah did not play at all in the second half of that game, after taking a hard fall late in the first half. I assume that is how she hurt her ankle.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
Thoughtful analysis/prediction for COY

Nobody talks about the Liberty and their potential place in WNBA history, which does not bode well for Sandy Brondello. Keep in mind that they have two healthy MVPs on their roster. They're expected to win an overwhelming majority of their games as a result.

Again, I'll take the field versus the Liberty for the 2024 championship because of Brondello. The postseason is not her thing. One ring and two Finals appearances (in eight seasons) with the player most consider to be the GOAT.

I believe that Cheryl Reeve is the right answer here. She guided her team to a 0.600 record (3-2) without their second-place MVP contender and had her team firing on all cylinders coming out of the Olympic Break. They're not short on talent by any means, but they do not have any MVPs on that squad. Cheryl's coached plenty of stacked teams (has she ever won a playoff series, let alone a championship, without one?), but this squad doesn't feel like one.

I can see the argument for Eric Thibault. I won't go there (because I don't see him as that great of a coach), but somehow his teams fight despite their lack of talent--and he's got to have something to do with the resilient spirit. Now, contrast that with Curt Miller--who is doing a one-man demolition job in LA with a player who people were/are pushing for All-WNBA honors (which is LAUGHABLE considering that the team has SEVEN wins :oops:).

Reaction Score
Dallas- Fever

If you love offense you're on cloud nine.

If you admire defense you turned the channel to the Washington Atlanta game.

Fever announcers did point out these are the two worst defensive teams in the league and two of the most prolific offenses so the halftime score is no surprise and also indicative of the low probability that the Fever will advance out of the first round.

WBBTakeover

10/18/2023
Reaction Score
NY Liberty's wish list for Playoffs 2024:
-Anybody in 1st round, Seattle in semis, Connecticut in Finals

They aren't making it through Vegas AND Minnesota, and I wouldn't pick them over a healthy (and motivated) Vegas team regardless of the home court situation (remember 10/18/2023).

Reaction Score
Dallas- Fever

If you love offense you're on cloud nine.

If you admire defense you turned the channel to the Washington Atlanta game.

Fever announcers did point out these are the two worst defensive teams in the league and two of the most prolific offenses so the halftime score is no surprise and also indicative of the low probability that the Fever will advance out of the first round.
And if you like both, you use LeaguePass multiview to watch both and track the NFL in the background. ;)

Reaction Score
And in other news… the Lynx are putting a smack down on the liberty. Why isn’t Timmy’s game on tv?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Looks like Stewie's herculean effort (38 pts/18 reb) was wasted today, didn't get much help from any of her teammates. Lynx win 88-79.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yep, lots of offense, no defense in Fever-Wings game. Went down to the wire, Indy wins 110-109. 35 for Clark, 30 for Mitchell. For Dallas 27 apiece for Ogunbowale and Sabally and 26 for Howard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom