2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---) | Page 33 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---)

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Aces beat Fever on the road. Inching closer to the #4 seed in the playoffs. Big game for Wilson. Clark and Hayes combined for 26 off the bench.

Mitchell had 24 for Indy, but chilly shooting for Caitlin and A'ja got the better of Aaliyah this round.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Records were made to be broken. Loyd's single season scoring record lasted all of one year, Wilson just broke it. Caitlin will certainly break AT's single season assist record from last year. Reese set the single season record for rebounds.

Are they going to stay with 40 games with expansion, or are they going to play more games next season?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
If Plum and Young combine for only 15 points but the Aces still win, they'll definitely take that. Only 15 combined shot attempts though, so it's not like they were both ice cold.

Stokes back in the starting lineup for the first time in a few weeks. Becky just can't settle on a 5th starter. Also down the stretch it looks like Colson is gonna get almost all the minutes Martin was getting earlier in the season. Egbo still hasn't played a second with the Aces, although she got a second 7 day contract, and I can't remember the last time Bell played.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Washington is destroying Chicago in the closing minutes. The Sky fooled me with 2 wins in a row...but how can this possibly be a playoff team? This result keeps things interesting, Mystics 1 game back now.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Mystics starters barely broke a sweat, none played more than 22 minutes. Washington has the best bench in the league, convince me otherwise. They've been making huge contributions lately.

Reaction Score
If Plum and Young combine for only 15 points but the Aces still win, they'll definitely take that. Only 15 combined shot attempts though, so it's not like they were both ice cold.

Stokes back in the starting lineup for the first time in a few weeks. Becky just can't settle on a 5th starter. Also down the stretch it looks like Colson is gonna get almost all the minutes Martin was getting earlier in the season. Egbo still hasn't played a second with the Aces, although she got a second 7 day contract, and I can't remember the last time Bell played.
On the opposite side, Boston and Clark had one of their worst games since the first stretch of games this season. I think some of it could be attributed to the Ace's defense but I also think it just wasn't their night. I doubt that happens two games in a row. I was also wondering if Clark was recovering from a sickness. She was hacking up a lung at half court in the 3rd or 4th.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Yeah, getting beat 89-58 by one of the teams you are fighting with for the last remaining playoff spot is not a good look. At home to make it even worse. Sky forgot for a minute they were tanking, but they're back on track.

Reaction Score
Records were made to be broken. Loyd's single season scoring record lasted all of one year, Wilson just broke it. Caitlin will certainly break AT's single season assist record from last year. Reese set the single season record for rebounds.

Are they going to stay with 40 games with expansion, or are they going to play more games next season?
A’ja can overtake Reese in rebounds needing 29 with four games left.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
A’ja can overtake Reese in rebounds needing 29 with four games left.
Oh wow. That would be too bad for Reese since her season was cut short, but would be remarkable for Wilson to set both the scoring and rebounding record in the same season.

Another record that might fall is most 3's made in a year, again set just last season by Ionescu. Caitlin has a very good chance of breaking that one as well.

Reaction Score
Just saw that Caitlin is making 63% of her lay-ups this season...as a ROOKIE GUARD. :eek: We're all on high alert here!!!!!
Is that an ESPN stat? :D Some of these stats these days, make me laugh. "This player shot 43% from the right block, when they were being guarded from the right angle with a left-handed player who wore ankle socks while wearing Kobe's protype shoes. But on a Wednesday, when the gym was slightly crowded and the lights were dim, while wearing the same socks and shoes combo and being guarded by a right-handed player, they shot 60%"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is that an ESPN stat? :D Some of these stats these days, make me laugh. "This player shot 43% from the right block, when they were being guarded from the right angle with a left-handed player who wore ankle socks while wearing Kobe's protype shoes. But on a Wednesday, when the gym was slighted crowded and the lights were dim, while wearing the same socks and shoes combo and being guarded by a right-handed player, they shot 60%"
The NFL advanced analytics make me chuckle every day I hear them break things down. Whoever said statistics was boring in high school but spits them back to you now were liars!!!!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Skylar Diggins-Smith had an excellent all-round game in helping lead the Seattle Storm to a 88-79 victory over the LA Sparks. Diggins-Smith finished with 26 points on 10-13 shooting and 6-7 from the line. In addition, she had 5 assists, 4 steals and 3 blocks.

Gabby Williams had an excellent shooting night, as well, going 6-10 from the field (3-5 from three) and 2-2 from the lline for 17 total points. Nneka Ogwumike had 16 points and pulled down 8 rebounds, as did Ezi Magbegor.

Seattle caught and pulled away from the Sparks in 2nd and 3rd quarters, but LA hung tough in the 4th, ultimately fell short en route to their 2nd home loss in a little over 24 hours.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Skylar Diggins-Smith had an excellent all-round game in helping lead the Seattle Storm to a 88-79 victory over the LA Sparks. Diggins-Smith finished with 24 points on 10-13 shooting and 4-5 from the line. In addition, she had 5 assists, 4 steals and 3 blocks.
Gabby Williams had an excellent shooting night, as well, going 6-10 from the field (3-5 from three) and 2-2 from the lline for 17 total points. Nneka Ogwumike had 16 points and pulled down 8 rebounds, as did Ezi Magbegor.

Seattle caught and pulled away from the Sparks in 2nd and 3rd quarters, but LA hung tough in the 4th, ultimately fell short en route to their 2nd home loss in a little over 24 hours.
Really happy to see Diggins-Smith have the season she's having. She had a rough last year getting back into shape, which isn't easy after having a baby. It's going to be interesting to see how Seattle does in the play-offs.

Reaction Score
Question for you WNBA fans: Is A'ja Wilson having the greatest season in league history? It's a sincere question. I actually don't know.

Reaction Score
Question for you WNBA fans: Is A'ja Wilson having the greatest season in league history? It's a sincere question. I actually don't know.
I would argue yes. Since last years playoffs she’s been unstoppable. I’m very impressed.

For all the knocks she’s gotten since college for not having a consistent three point shot she’s shown the critics well guess what if I’m unstoppable within the line I don’t need it.

Reaction Score
Wow. Good question. It seems like it, but I'm guessing some accounting for the number of games in a WNBA would have to be taken into consideration.

Reaction Score
Let's look at stats:

*Alltime WNBA Single Season Scoring Record:

*Second (could get to First) WNBA single season rebounding record.

First in Blocks for this season. (Who has the all time seasonal record for blocks?)
Second (tie) in Steals for this season.
Most points in a game for this season

She looks strong on offense and defense. Still, it's going to boil down to opinion. What other players with past super seasons can we compare her to?

Reaction Score
Wow. Good question. It seems like it, but I'm guessing some accounting for the number of games in a WNBA would have to be taken into consideration.
There's always that. An age old argument,

Babe Ruth hit 60 home runs in 1927 in only 154 games, and American League schedules moved from 154 to 162 games in 1961. It took 34 years for Roger Maris to hit 61 home runs in 1961 and break Ruth's record.

• Babe Ruth (1914-1935)
  • Home Runs: 755
  • Hank Aaron (1954-1976)
  • Home Runs: 755

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The NFL advanced analytics make me chuckle every day I hear them break things down. Whoever said statistics was boring in high school but spits them back to you now were liars!!!!
OMG!! So true! These stats take on a whole different meaning in sports.

Reaction Score
Cross-season comparisons such as “the greatest season” in a team sport where individual play is generally impacted by team composition (e.g. not baseball) requires normalization and a filter.

As you mentioned, number of games which have increased, is part of the normalization — average stats are better than total stats.

I would add normalization due to the increase of number of possessions due to better (faster play), better pool of players, hoarding of top draft picks, etc.

As for the filter:
  • Does the team have to win the WNBA championship?
  • Does the team have to be in the top half of the playoffs?
  • Does the team merely have to reach the playoffs?
  • No filter for playoffs;
  • Delta Analysis: Did the player markedly improve the stats for the team in the analyzed category (e.g. the debate between team rebounds vs rebounding rate);
  • Other, for example in this case, does the player have win MVP?
Here are the Stats-Per-Game Single Season Leaderboards:

Reaction Score
Gift link. SF Chronicle story on new Valkyrie locker room facilities, etc at Chase Center. Valkyrie facilities

“For the Valkyries’ dedicated locker rooms, a 6,800-square-foot space in Chase Center is being renovated and will include a training room, a player lounge and dining space, separate offices for the coaching staff, medical staff and player development staff.

Their practice home, formerly the Warriors training facility for 22 years, will feature two-and-a-half NBA-size practice courts with 17 basketball hoops, a weight room, hot and cold pools and locker rooms. It’s also where the front office will be based.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom