2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---) | Page 18 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---)

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Another development that is worth keeping an eye on....According to the article posted above in the Chicago Sun Times:

"Sky practice was abruptly canceled Tuesday morning. According to the team, multiple players felt sick, prompting the last-minute cancellation. On the advice of the medical staff, several players were wearing masks at the Sachs Recreation Center.

"According to general manager Jeff Pagliocca, multiple players were tested for COVID-19. When the Sky’s injury report was released later in the day, guard Chennedy Carter was the only player — aside from center Elizabeth Williams (knee) — listed as out because of health and safety protocols."

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Kiah Stokes: 14 minutes, 0 points, 2 rebounds (averages less than 2 points per game)
Megan Gustafson: 11 minutes, 0 points, 0 rebounds (averages less than 2 rebounds a game)

How does an organization enter the season and then try to end the season without acquiring another starting post player? This is very unserious behavior. Natalie Williams and Nikki Fargas deserve pink slips.

Every contender in the league has two above average starters in the post. NY has two former MVPs. Connecticut has an Olympian and an All-Star. Minnesota has two Olympians. Seattle has an Olympian and an All-Star. Vegas?
While watching the 2nd half of this game last night, this general thought hit me as well. (Actually, I've posted a bit about it more often the last few weeks): the front office supplied Hammons with players that she either doesn't think can produce or has seen they don't. Hence, she sends an undersized lineup out against one of the largest front lines in the league. Result: Howard and Sabally score a lot and create havoc and Big T grabs 17 rebounds. (Heck, Arike only had to shoot 17 times and racked up 6 assists. ;))

Now, Gustafson played ok against Chicago the other night when Vegas pulled out a last-second win, but that was against a rookie-dominated front line that is shooting challenged. Not the case last night.

Fargas might want to spend more time in her administrative capacity this off-season rather than be an ESPN studio host. Last I checked, that's when her action is important.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While watching the 2nd half of this game last night, this general thought hit me as well. (Actually, I've posted a bit about it more often the last few weeks): the front office supplied Hammons with players that she either doesn't think can produce or has seen they don't. Hence, she sends an undersized lineup out against one of the largest front lines in the league. Result: Howard and Sabally score a lot and create havoc and Big T grabs 17 rebounds. Heck, Arike only had to shoot 17 times and racked up 6 assists. ;)

Now, Gustafson played ok against Chicago the other night when Vegas pulled out a last-second win, but that was against a rookie-dominated front line that is shooting challenged. Not the case last night.

Fargas might want to spend more time in her administrative capacity this off-season rather than be an ESPN studio host. Last I checked, that's when her action is important.

Been wondering about Fargas and her impact on the make up of the team as well. I recall LSU fans being frustrated with her inability to recruit in the latter portion of her career. I agree that some scrutiny needs to be directed her way.

Reaction Score
Her only shot a horrible three-point attempt missed the hoop by at least a foot.

She, Smith and Hull were........ Unspeakably inept

Dantas and Fagbenle gave Mitchell and Clark the little help they needed to take care of the Dream who will find themselves in a nightmare on the road as August comes to a close.
Don't understand how noting that Samuelson is ill prompted this type of comment. It would seem that her feeling unwell could easily explain what happened.

Reaction Score
They also needed a last minute shot just to beat Chicago. I still think it unwise to count Vegas out but I'm wondering if there are issues that can't be fixed during the season. Becky Hammon's coaching seems to be the biggest issue to me if I am being honest, speculating that potentially the lawsuit and press around the Hamby situation is getting to her.
I know everyone talk about the defensive issues for Vegas and they are there but even offensively they just play one on one every possession. Its jarring to see from Vegas this late in the season after the last two years.

Their bench is a big issue. Along with their defense

Reaction Score
While watching the 2nd half of this game last night, this general thought hit me as well. (Actually, I've posted a bit about it more often the last few weeks): the front office supplied Hammons with players that she either doesn't think can produce or has seen they don't. Hence, she sends an undersized lineup out against one of the largest front lines in the league. Result: Howard and Sabally score a lot and create havoc and Big T grabs 17 rebounds. Heck, Arike only had to shoot 17 times and racked up 6 assists. ;)

My understanding is the team chose to keep KB and Colson. I know it doesn't help during the game but hey... they're great teammates in every other way

Reaction Score
And the point to this is what? The discussion about this was around her rebounding stats. This says nothing to the point that her offensive rebounding numbers would still lead the league if her misses are taken out of the equation. That is the point Lobo made which Isola missed with his lazy take.

Reaction Score
Also four starters and one bench player didn’t get the Olympics break.
I mean three starters for the Lynx didn't get the Olympic break and 3 Liberty starters and one bench player for the Liberty also didn't get an Olympic break. And those two teams have collectively lost one game since the break so I don't buy this line of reasoning.

Reaction Score
Hull gave valuable minutes. I don't know what you're talking about. Sure, she minimally contributed on offense, but she was essential on the defensive side and was a key reason they held the Dream to 79 points.
In 30 minutes she scored two points and matched her to assist with two turnovers. So minimal might be charitable and describing her offensive performance. She and ma's Hillman in essence canceled one another out. I think both could be classified as minimal or marginal players.

The Dream average 75.9 points per game so far this season so it's hard to see how Hull and company should be credited for giving up 79 points.

The scoring prowess of the starting guards carried the day and the game for the Fever

Reaction Score
@azfan you underestimated how bad the Aces are currently.
Offensively... Not so much....

But.... The defensive problems are glaring and obvious for all to see. Against a Wing team that had only won two games in a row once this season the aces had no answers....or size to match up against the large bodies in the Dallas Front Court

Reaction Score
Also four starters and one bench player didn’t get the Olympics break.
It's actually 6 players who went to the Olympics. The 4 core players, Megan and Tip. There might be some exhaustion there but I mostly think it's mental. Especially for Jackie, her defense hasn't been up her part lately and her shooting hasn't been as great either. But the lack of a 2nd post that can put up any decent stats and subpar guard play has really hurt the Aces.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Fever get a nice win over the Sun. Hull w/ another big game, 17 pts/8 reb 4-6 behind the arc. Mitchell continuing her excellent play since the break.

Reaction Score
In 30 minutes she scored two points and matched her to assist with two turnovers. So minimal might be charitable and describing her offensive performance. She and ma's Hillman in essence canceled one another out. I think both could be classified as minimal or marginal players.

The Dream average 75.9 points per game so far this season so it's hard to see how Hull and company should be credited for giving up 79 points.

The scoring prowess of the starting guards carried the day and the game for the Fever
I'll be waiting patiently for your criticism of Hull's offense from tonight's game against the Sun. :rolleyes:

WBBTakeover

Don't get caught sleeping!
Reaction Score
Their defense is terrible, and that includes A'ja, she gets blocks but total defense and helping is terrible.
I disagree. A'ja's having to cover for three guards (Chelsea, Kelsey, and Jackie) who get cooked on a regular basis this year (and Kiah has not bounced back defensively post injury). We already know that Kelsey doesn't care about improving defensively, so it is what it is with her. But opposing guards have T'd off on Chelsea and Jackie this year--and it's concerning.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Washington edged Chicago. Mystics and Wings showing signs of life recently. Sparks have now been left completely by themselves at the bottom of the standings.

DeShields and Jefferson both got decent minutes tonight, I don't think either has played for a while.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I'll be waiting patiently for your criticism of Hull's offense from tonight's game against the Sun. :rolleyes:
Insofar as Hull was part of the team that deprived Aaliyah of a second championship in her four years at SCAR, just gotta say this: any praise a Gamecock fan has for her is more than credible in my eyes. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Insofar as Hull was part of the team that deprived Aaliyah of a second championship in her four years at SCAR, just gotta say this: any praise a Gamecock fan has for her is more than credible in my eyes. :rolleyes:
Hull “deprived us” from one. Clark “ deprived us” of another. They are Boston’s teammates now. Go Fever!

What true fan despises a worthy competitor?

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Vegas suffers an embarrassing loss to Dallas. New York says hold my beer. Gonna lose to LA, even worse.

I don't know if trailing wire to wire is better or coughing up a decent lead in the 4th quarter.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
Tina Charles with a triple double, in a losing effort unfortunately. Dang you Atlanta, just keep making me look bad. Chicago is holding that door wide open, but the Dream are refusing to pass them in the standings. Now suddenly Dallas and Washington are charging and could pass Atlanta.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom