2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---) | Page 19 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Speaking of triple doubles...last year is looking like even more of an anomaly now that we are well into this season. AT was getting 1 a week last season it seems like. Not many for her or anybody else this year. It's just weird that there were so many in 2023.

Reaction Score
Tina Charles with a triple double, in a losing effort unfortunately. Dang you Atlanta, just keep making me look bad. Chicago is holding that door wide open, but the Dream are refusing to pass them in the standings. Now suddenly Dallas and Washington are charging and could pass Atlanta.
Didn't help that Howard and Canada both shot poorly. They had the worst FG% out of the team last night, shooting 26% and 35% respectively. Everyone else were 50% or better. A few more makes, could have made the difference in this game.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, in Chicago with no Shakira Austin for the Mystics and no Chennedy Carter for the Sky (as in, who will take the lead on offense for either team?), the Sky had a 68-61 lead with 4:38 to play, but the Mystics rallied and closed the game on a 13-2 run to clinch their first three-game winning streak since last June.

Stef Dolson and Ariel Atkins led with 17 and 15, respectively, while Emily Engstler made the most of her 14 minutes, scoring 9 pts (2-3 from three) and adding 3 rebounds and blocks (!) each.

The Sky got good production from the wing positions (Onyenwere - 15, DeShields - 12), but not much else. Chicago's mid-to-long range was sparse even before Marina Mabrey was traded. Now? Yikes. Area to address in off-season -- Yup.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, in Chicago with no Shakira Austin for the Mystics and no Chennedy Carter for the Sky (as in, who will take the lead on offense for either team?), the Sky had a 68-61 lead with 4:38 to play, but the Mystics rallied and closed the game on a 13-2 run to clinch their first three-game winning streak since last June.

Stef Dolson and Ariel Atkins led with 17 and 15, respectively, while Emily Engstler made the most of her 14 minutes, scoring 9 pts (2-3 from three) and adding 3 rebounds and blocks (!) each.

The Sky got good production from the wing positions (Onyenwere - 15, DeShields - 12), but not much else. Chicago's mid-to-long range was sparse even before Marina Mabrey was traded. Now? Yikes. Area to address in off-season -- Yup.
The battle between Angel Reese and Aaliyah Edwards was interesting to watch. Aaliyah drew an offensive foul against Reese and handled her physicality very well in my Canadian-biased opinion ;). She also had a couple steals that helped seal the win for the Mystics when it was tied late in the fourth quarter. Believe she had something to do with Reese being 3/10 and scoring 7 points.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Richard Cohen Stats Up on Angel Reese, Caitlin Clark Seasons

We've commented ad infinitum on the seasons Reese and Clark have had, as well as the huge amounts of interest/involvement they've drawn on social media, by people that watch/know hoops and those that don't. Leave it to the guy who has "Stats" front and center to analyze all of their rebounds and shots, assists and turnovers.

I'll include key quote(s) from Richard Cohen's article in Her Hoops Stats on each to serve as a teaser, then give the link if you want to read in detail.

Angel Reese

"Of her 152 offensive boards so far this season, I counted 37 coming from her own missed attempts, and an additional 15 off her own attempts being blocked. So 52 total of the 152, or right around a third. That's undoubtedly a lot - her rebound numbers are being somewhat 'padded' by being right there to clean up her own mistakes - but if you removed every single one of them she'd still be averaging over 11 rebounds per game, enough for comfortably second in the league behind only A'ja Wilson."

Other points touched on: low shooting percentage; getting blocked (a lot); drawing fouls; physical rebounding style.

Caitlin Clark

"Among Clark's 164 turnovers, I ended up with "maybe" next to 16 of them - my personal notation for 'arguably the receiver should've done a better job of getting hold of the ball, rather than Clark needing to throw it better'. Those are the near-50/50 ones. ... I had "not her fault" or "should've been caught" next to only six, indicating I felt they just should've been credited to the other player. So she comes by the vast majority of her turnovers honestly."

Other points touched on: High turnover rate has gone down only "fractionally" since Olympics; those behind the back passes; high-risk, high-reward positive and negatives.

Once again, this is Cohen using statistics and drawing conclusions (not the other way around.). Whether you agree with the conclusions is, of course, what makes for a lively board. But I thought the inclusion of stats would help, too.

Reaction Score
Richard Cohen Stats Up on Angel Reese, Caitlin Clark Seasons

We've commented ad infinitum on the seasons Reese and Clark have had, as well as the huge amounts of interest/involvement they've drawn on social media, by people that watch/know hoops and those that don't. Leave it to the guy who has "Stats" front and center to analyze all of their rebounds and shots, assists and turnovers.

I'll include key quote(s) from Richard Cohen's article in Her Hoops Stats on each to serve as a teaser, then give the link if you want to read in detail.

Angel Reese

"Of her 152 offensive boards so far this season, I counted 37 coming from her own missed attempts, and an additional 15 off her own attempts being blocked. So 52 total of the 152, or right around a third. That's undoubtedly a lot - her rebound numbers are being somewhat 'padded' by being right there to clean up her own mistakes - but if you removed every single one of them she'd still be averaging over 11 rebounds per game, enough for comfortably second in the league behind only A'ja Wilson."

Other points touched on: low shooting percentage; getting blocked (a lot); drawing fouls; physical rebounding style.

Caitlin Clark

"Among Clark's 164 turnovers, I ended up with "maybe" next to 16 of them - my personal notation for 'arguably the receiver should've done a better job of getting hold of the ball, rather than Clark needing to throw it better'. Those are the near-50/50 ones. ... I had "not her fault" or "should've been caught" next to only six, indicating I felt they just should've been credited to the other player. So she comes by the vast majority of her turnovers honestly."

Other points touched on: High turnover rate has gone down only "fractionally" since Olympics; those behind the back passes; high-risk, high-reward positive and negatives.

Once again, this is Cohen using statistics and drawing conclusions (not the other way around.). Whether you agree with the conclusions is, of course, what makes for a lively board. But I thought the inclusion of stats would help, too.

Thanks for sharing this @Dillon77 . Looking forward to reading it more detail later. The quotes posted sound like they further confirm the rebounding prowess of Reese. No issue with the padded comment as it can be seen that way, but in any analysis done by someone who has removed those rebounds from her overall stats, the numbers are still really good.

The insight on Clark's turnovers caught me by surprise. Expected the "maybe" category would have been higher than 16 (9.8 %). I would have guessed it would be closer to 20 - 30%.

Reaction Score
They also needed a last minute shot just to beat Chicago. I still think it unwise to count Vegas out but I'm wondering if there are issues that can't be fixed during the season. Becky Hammon's coaching seems to be the biggest issue to me if I am being honest, speculating that potentially the lawsuit and press around the Hamby situation is getting to her.
I know everyone talk about the defensive issues for Vegas and they are there but even offensively they just play one on one every possession. Its jarring to see from Vegas this late in the season after the last two years.
I don't want to count the Aces out either, but you have to question their focus and effort. Several of the Chicago Bulls players (when they were playing for their 2nd 3-peat) mentioned that it was a mental grind to stay on task. Maybe the Aces are dealing with that. As for the lawsuit being a factor. I mean it could be a factor, but I would think that it would have been a bigger factor last year since it was just before the season started and it was unexpected, at least to WNBA fans. Coach Hammon went through her suspension and all of the negative press on the matter as well as social media lawyers giving their spin on the matter and somehow the Aces managed to deal with all of that and win back-to-back titles. We shall see. I don't to count the Aces out, even though I am a Lynx fan. But for the Aces to reach that 3-peat mark would be so nice. I am sure there are folks will think otherwise but I am all about that history making moment. 3-peat!

Reaction Score
Fever get a nice win over the Sun. Hull w/ another big game, 17 pts/8 reb 4-6 behind the arc. Mitchell continuing her excellent play since the break.
The Fever have been...ugh...hot! They looked comfortable, confident, and assertive out there. Coach Sides got her team playing great and at the right time of the season! I am looking forward to their matchup against the Sky Friday.

Reaction Score

Chicago made something silly mistakes down the line which cost them the game. Hats off to Washington. Their record is so misleading. They have been playing teams tough all season and keeping games close. Great win for them and a tough loss for the Sky.

Reaction Score
I don't want to count the Aces out either, but you have to question their focus and effort. Several of the Chicago Bulls players (when they were playing for their 2nd 3-peat) mentioned that it was a mental grind to stay on task. Maybe the Aces are dealing with that. As for the lawsuit being a factor. I mean it could be a factor, but I would think that it would have been a bigger factor last year since it was just before the season started and it was unexpected, at least to WNBA fans. Coach Hammon went through her suspension and all of the negative press on the matter as well as social media lawyers giving their spin on the matter and somehow the Aces managed to deal with all of that and win back-to-back titles. We shall see. I don't to count the Aces out, even though I am a Lynx fan. But for the Aces to reach that 3-peat mark would be so nice. I am sure there are folks will think otherwise but I am all about that history making moment. 3-peat!
I think Hammon being named in a federal law suit is probably more stressful for her than an internal WNBA investigation. I also think they probably thought it was resolved most of the season and now it feels like a never ending storyline for them.

Reaction Score
I think Hammon being named in a federal law suit is probably more stressful for her than an internal WNBA investigation. I also think they probably thought it was resolved most of the season and now it feels like a never ending storyline for them.
Probably. We shall see and hear how this all plays out.

Reaction Score
7 game winning streak (and I probably jinxed them) and 9 games left. The Lynx are hotter than catfish grease!! We needed a player like Myisha Hines-Allen. That toughness. If you watched the game last night (Lynx/Mercury) Sophie Cunningham (I am a fan btw) she knows who to mess with and who not to mess with. Myisha ain't one to mess around with. Great win, Minnesota!! Up next, Dallas.

Reaction Score

Currently reading Phil Jackson's book Eleven Rings and he talks about that with both the Bulls and Lakers. For those who haven't, I highly recommend it as it's great insight that could be applied to regular life in a lot of different ways.

Reaction Score
The Fever have been...ugh...hot! They looked comfortable, confident, and assertive out there. Coach Sides got her team playing great and at the right time of the season! I am looking forward to their matchup against the Sky Friday.
They take another step to jump the Mercury. This is actually kind of interesting as Minnesota slides ahead of the Sun into the number two spot. I think Minnesota has no trouble with either the Mercury or the Fever but I wonder if they would be a little happier if the Fever jump the Mercury and play the Sun in the first round. We know the Fever have a much easier schedule down the stretch compared to the Mercury and the Fever are playing much much better than the Mercury, although the Mercury do have a insurmountable lead in technicals.

That would leave the hapless Mercury to Minnesota and we saw how that worked out last night. Cheryl Reeves versus the million dollar coach with his three Olympians, three technical fouls again, and a culture of complaining.

The Fever travel to Chicago while the Mercury host the Aces. Hammon versus the million dollar coach. I wonder if Big Nate falls below .500 again?

Could Sunday night find the Fever in sixth place?

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Indiana surging toward that 6 seed. Having a great 3 and D player in Hull is making a huge difference. And Kelsey Mitchell is playing lights out, along with Aliyah Boston. They're 4-1 post the Olympic break and 13-7 since their 11 games in 20 days start to the year.

If they keep up their tear, they have a shot to finish as high as 4th in the league which would be incredible after a 2-9 start. The rest of the way they have 3 road games against mediocre teams (@ Chicago, @ Dallas and @ Washington), and 6 home games (2 vs Vegas, 1 vs Atlanta, 1 vs. Wings, 1 vs Sparks, 1 vs Minnesota). Only 3 games vs. top 7 teams and all 3 will be played at home, where they've won 8 of their last 9.

Comparatively, Seattle's next 4 games are vs. NY and Connecticut, and Vegas has a brutal stretch to finish this year, playing 7 of their last 10 games against teams in the top 7.

Indiana is currently in 7th, a half game behind Phoenix, 3.5 games behind Vegas, and 4.5 games behind Seattle.

If they pull off finishing top 4 or 5, I think Sides seriously deserves consideration for COY for their turnaround.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
After a couple of days with no power or internet after a severe thunderstorm I saw this while getting back to surfin'. Got a nice chuckle out of it.

On another play, Ms. Carrington went one way while CC went another. Carrington literally fell on her face on the reversal and Clark drained a three. No need to post-hoop embellish...the wide shot showed it all. What goes round....;)
That said, the Fever gave numerous opportunities for Carrington to drive to the hoop, which she did.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Probably. We shall see and hear how this all plays out.
The Dream and Sky stagger to a pre ultimate season ending game in Atlanta that may well determine who gets to lose to the Liberty. It may well be Washington who determines who advances as they play the Dream twice and Angel and company once

Reaction Score
After a couple of days with no power or internet after a severe thunderstorm I saw this while getting back to surfin'. Got a nice chuckle out of it.

On another play, Ms. Carrington went one way while CC went another. Carrington literally fell on her face on the reversal and Clark drained a three. No need to post-hoop embellish...the whide shot showed it all. What goes round....;)
They both had their moments against each other. @ISUnorth, there are plenty examples where Carrington got the better of Clark. Let's leave it that it was a fun one on one battle to watch during the game.

Reaction Score
They take another step to jump the Mercury. This is actually kind of interesting as Minnesota slides ahead of the Sun into the number two spot. I think Minnesota has no trouble with either the Mercury or the Fever but I wonder if they would be a little happier if the Fever jump the Mercury and play the Sun in the first round. We know the Fever have a much easier schedule down the stretch compared to the Mercury and the Fever are playing much much better than the Mercury, although the Mercury do have a insurmountable lead in technicals.

That would leave the hapless Mercury to Minnesota and we saw how that worked out last night. Cheryl Reeves versus the million dollar coach with his three Olympians, three technical fouls again, and a culture of complaining.

The Fever travel to Chicago while the Mercury host the Aces. Hammon versus the million dollar coach. I wonder if Big Nate falls below .500 again?

Could Sunday night find the Fever in sixth place?
Yeah, I don't think Minnesota would have any trouble with Phoenix or Indiana, but I am sure that Coach Reeve would rather face Phoenix in the playoffs than Indiana, if it played out that way.

Reaction Score
And thought I'd throw this in to, for my home town Lynx and my Cyclone alumna. Lynx playing some pretty good ball.

That was a wild, but nice, finish by Bridget. I just love the smiles at the end. Gotta have fun out there being competitive.

Reaction Score

I would love to be a fly on the wall during team film session breakdown.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom