2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---) | Page 16 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
She's not terrible, but she's been a career underachiever relative to the talent that has been at her disposal. How many coaches can say that they've coached as many MVP winners, Olympians, and future HOFers as she has? She coached in Phoenix for eight seasons. She should've had at least three rings--maybe four.

Also, Game 4 of the 2023 WNBA Finals should've been a win for the Liberty considering the circumstances.
I don’t think she’s awful, but she’s far from an elite coach with how little success she had with almost a decade with one of the best ever (DT) and the most imposing physical presence the game has ever seen (Griner). For the most part of that stretch they weren’t much better than a .500 team.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Sorry I disagree they owned her rights they didnt want to release , she wanted to play with them while younger she collected money while she sat out with injury, why mot stick with a team that stuck with you
I agree. It’s a business, EDD already forced her way out of one franchise and the Mystics invested a lot in her (paying her full salary to voluntarily sit out of the 2020 season, injured all of 2021 and stretches of 2022 and 2023). They have every right to not trade her for a minimal return and make their competitors better. Just as EDD has every right to sit out if she doesn’t want to play for Washington.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Good point. I totally forgot about her getting the Core tag by the Mystics. Hopefully the Wings don't win that #1 pick. I would feel badly for Paige if they draft her. We will see what happens.

I thought Magic Johnson was on that ownership team of the Sparks? As for the most recent mock draft listings, it is between Washington and LA. One week Washington has the #1 pick. The next week LA has the pick. Paige, Rickea, and Cameron. That would be exciting to watch.
Here's the things: LA, DC, and Chicago were not "supposed" to make the playoffs this season, and it didnt' seem like it was their goals either. The biggest disappointment by far has been Dallas, and to an extent, Atlanta (Though they seem to be better post break).

The LA Sparks are not built to (nor was it the goal) to win this year, plus their backcourt has been decimated by injuries (Last night they played with out McDonald, Clarendon, and Lexie Brown). They have a lot of talented forwards (Hamby, Jackson, Azura, Brink when healthy) but not a balanced roster construction. Sims can be great but she also joined them like 5 days ago. Last night they started 4 forwards and C. Dangerfield.

The Sky bench is definitely disappointing at this time, but E. Williams is injured and they just traded away Mabrey. Even though they are sitting in 8th spot, they also seem to be...playing for the future. DeShields is just not back to being the player she used to be; Evans seems to have fallen out of favor, Izzie Harrison has been serviceable.

Remember, it look Indiana 3 straight years of drafting top 2 picks to even look pseudo playoff ready. A lot of young talent at these teams for the future.

Reaction Score
Tonight (edit: tomorrow night) the underperforming million dollar coach takes the Mercury to the court at Footprint Arena against the Liberty in their rubber match.

Back in June during the Mercury's most successful week of play the Mercury laid 99 points on the Liberty.

For those optimists who think the scheming of the million dollar coach, commitment to defense, and culture of hustle will lead the Mercury to the finals tonight's game can recalibrate those expectations.

Championships by current WNBA head coaches

Sandy -1
Stephanie -0
Cheryl-4
Noelle-0
Becky-2
Nate ......... Haha
Sides-0
Teresa-0
Tanisha-0
Junior-0
Trammel-0
Kurt-0

It's obviously hard to win a championship. Only three active coaches have a championship and eight of the current coaches have very dim prospects of ever hoisting a trophy. In fact five of these coaches will not be on the sidelines in 3 years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can the Fever catch the Mercury and who cares?

Over the final 10 games of the season the Mercury have by far a much more difficult strength of schedule than the Fever.

Currently the Sun would be meeting the Fever while Cheryl and the Lynx would face the Mercury.

I'm guessing Stephanie and Cheryl aren't concerned with either team but if push comes to shove they might rather face the Mercury. I mean Lexi Hull maybe giving those coaches nightmares.

Ok, on reflection it really doesn't matter.

Second place in the W may come down to the pre-ultimate season matchup between the Sun and the Lynx. That is the most consequential matchup of the remainder of the season with home court advantage in the balance.

As to last place in the playoffs and an opponent for Stewie I know the league is really rooting for Angel.

Reaction Score

Over the final 10 games of the season the Mercury have by far a much more difficult strength of schedule than the Fever.

Currently the Sun would be meeting the Fever while Cheryl and the Lynx would face the Mercury.

I'm guessing Stephanie and Cheryl aren't concerned with either team but if push comes to shove they might rather face the Mercury. I mean Lexi Hull maybe giving those coaches nightmares.

Second place in the W may come down to the pre-ultimate season matchup between the Sun and the Lynx. That is the most consequential matchup of the remainder of the season with home court advantage in the balance.

As to last place in the playoffs and an opponent for Stewie I know the league is really rooting for Angel.
Haters Flip Phone GIF by Motorola

Reaction Score

Don't count on the Liberty being in first place at the end of the year.

Reaction Score
Ok so we know nothing good Angel does matters because she struggles to finish around the room so please try to hold yourself back commenting that on this post about her because I have already said it, but I thought this was a cool thing for her:

Someone did a much deeper dive in the stats earlier this season confirming what Lobo said. Sadly, the perception of Angel for some will not allow them to look deeper to see she's killing it with respect to rebounding.

At a barbeque recently and someone said to me that they weren't a fan of Reese and used the "she's padding her stats" talking point as their reason. Ironically enough, I had the article bookmarked and read it off to them. In the end, it turned out the person was not even a casual fan. They admitted they were going off of posts they'd seen from others. It's really unfortunate these conversations have to be had out there.:(

Reaction Score
Here's the things: LA, DC, and Chicago were not "supposed" to make the playoffs this season, and it didnt' seem like it was their goals either. The biggest disappointment by far has been Dallas, and to an extent, Atlanta (Though they seem to be better post break).

The LA Sparks are not built to (nor was it the goal) to win this year, plus their backcourt has been decimated by injuries (Last night they played with out McDonald, Clarendon, and Lexie Brown). They have a lot of talented forwards (Hamby, Jackson, Azura, Brink when healthy) but not a balanced roster construction. Sims can be great but she also joined them like 5 days ago. Last night they started 4 forwards and C. Dangerfield.

The Sky bench is definitely disappointing at this time, but E. Williams is injured and they just traded away Mabrey. Even though they are sitting in 8th spot, they also seem to be...playing for the future. DeShields is just not back to being the player she used to be; Evans seems to have fallen out of favor, Izzie Harrison has been serviceable.

Remember, it look Indiana 3 straight years of drafting top 2 picks to even look pseudo playoff ready. A lot of young talent at these teams for the future.

In the case of Atlanta, they didn't have Jordan Canada at the start of the season due to injury. The point guard situation was a platoon with Haley Jones running it, which never really worked. Now with Canada healthy playing along with Gray the offence has been a lot better.

The other positive change is moving Naz Hillmon into the starting rotation. Considering the Dream have taller bigs, who are supposed to be more skilled than her, she continues to outwork them to get these opportunities and isn't wasting them.

Tina Charles also seems to have found the fountain of youth and is back to who we all as fans remember. Really happy for her as her previous season in the league was a struggle.

Reaction Score
Someone did a much deeper dive in the stats earlier this season confirming what Lobo said. Sadly, the perception of Angel for some will not allow them to look deeper to see she's killing it with respect to rebounding.

At a barbeque recently and someone said to me that they weren't a fan of Reese and used the "she's padding her stats" talking point as their reason. Ironically enough, I had the article bookmarked and read it off to them. In the end, it turned out the person was not even a casual fan. They admitted they were going off of posts they'd seen from others. It's really unfortunate these conversations have to be had out there.:(
Agreed. Its really sad to see all over social media how she is picked apart. She was the 7th pick in the draft, players picked above her aren't getting picked apart like her (Jacy, Aaliyah etc) even though in many ways she's outperforming them. You'd think she was the worst rookie in WNBA history with how much her field goal percentage is discussed. I also find the field goal % stat disingenuous because she IS still rebounding them so its not like her team isn't still scoring on a lot of those possessions. It speaks to her inability to finish but it's not hurting her team as much as people like to pretend.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Its really sad to see all over social media how she is picked apart. She was the 7th pick in the draft, players picked above her aren't getting picked apart like her (Jacy, Aaliyah etc) even though in many ways she's outperforming them. You'd think she was the worst rookie in WNBA history with how much her field goal percentage is discussed. I also find the field goal % stat disingenuous because she IS still rebounding them so its not like her team isn't still scoring on a lot of those possessions. It speaks to her inability to finish but it's not hurting her team as much as people like to pretend.
Doesn't help that media don't provide this type of insight when talking about it on a consistent basis either. The analytics are there if they really wanted to help educate fans.

Reaction Score
Don't count on the Liberty being in first place at the end of the year.
I am.

If the Liberty go 4-4 the Sun would have to go seven and one to tie.

Las Vegas would love to take odds on that and I might be willing to make a small wager as well.

BTW-the Liberty won't be going four and four down the stretch. And the Sun...... They have the Storm twice, the Aces twice and the Lynx. They definitely will not be going 7 and 1. That probability is somewhere between 0.1 and 0.0000000001.

Could the Lynx catch Stewie and company? Of course not but they might have a slightly higher probability as they face both the Liberty and the Sun down the stretch.

The Liberty won't be going 4-4.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In the case of Atlanta, they didn't have Jordan Canada at the start of the season due to injury. The point guard situation was a platoon with Haley Jones running it, which never really worked. Now with Canada healthy playing along with Gray the offence has been a lot better.

The other positive change is moving Naz Hillmon into the starting rotation. Considering the Dream have taller bigs, who are supposed to be more skilled than her, she continues to outwork them to get these opportunities and isn't wasting them.

Tina Charles also seems to have found the fountain of youth and is back to who we all as fans remember. Really happy for her as her previous season in the league was a struggle.
3-1 in August and after tonight's game against CC and company end the month on the road against The Storm and The Aces.

Like the Sky, the Dream are three and seven over their last 10 and not a very good road team. As these two stagger to the finish to see who gets to play the number one seed (the Liberty on most dance cards LOL) these games will only be interesting to demonstrate who is more motivated.

As the playoff order with the exception of the number eight slot is already set one wonders who's looking ahead, who's resting starters, and who might be playing for their next contract.

One might quibble about where the Sun and Lynx end up and who plays the Fever and who plays the Mercury but in the end it really won't matter as the higher seeds will advance. The Fever don't have the defense to hang with any of the top 4 teams ( and maybe not even the Dream tonight) and the Mercury will fall merely because of their ineptitude on the road.

Reaction Score

Sad that we have to have these conversations, but these are the conversations that must be had, especially when you have the non-causal fan or the casual fan throwing out random comments. Rather than applaud or give Angel praise for her elite rebounding skill, she gets criticized for rebounding. Nobody gave one of the games elite rebounders and iconic players, Yolanda Griffith, static when she was crushing the offensive glass to the tune of 168 back in early 2000s. Same with Tina Charles or Rebekkah Brunson. Nobody ever made the claim that those legends were "padding" their rebounding numbers. Those ladies were given praise about their effort and desire. The same should be said for Angel. She works her butt off on those rebounds.

I think we probably read the same report. I was reading the Sporting News report where the writer compared Angel's numbers to Clint Carela, Nikola Jokic, and a few other NBA players & WNBA players who are decent offensive rebounders and Angel's numbers were 0.1%-0.4% behind or on par with those players. Angel is just being judged by a different standard and it is sad and annoying.

Reaction Score
3-1 in August and after tonight's game against CC and company end the month on the road against The Storm and The Aces.

Like the Sky, the Dream are three and seven over their last 10 and not a very good road team. As these two stagger to the finish to see who gets to play the number one seed (the Liberty on most dance cards LOL) these games will only be interesting to demonstrate who is more motivated.

As the playoff order with the exception of the number eight slot is already set one wonders who's looking ahead, who's resting starters, and who might be playing for their next contract.

One might quibble about where the Sun and Lynx end up and who plays the Fever and who plays the Mercury but in the end it really won't matter as the higher seeds will advance. The Fever don't have the defense to hang with any of the top 4 teams ( and maybe not even the Dream tonight) and the Mercury will fall merely because of their ineptitude on the road.

My point focused on the team after the Olympic break not before. The team definitely operates differently now with Canada running the point and Hillmon in as a starter.

Play-offs are not something I'm concerned about when it comes to the Dream. If they make it, that's a bonus considering how the first half of the season went.

Reaction Score
Sad that we have to have these conversations, but these are the conversations that must be had, especially when you have the non-causal fan or the casual fan throwing out random comments. Rather than applaud or give Angel praise for her elite rebounding skill, she gets criticized for rebounding. Nobody gave one of the games elite rebounders and iconic players, Yolanda Griffith, static when she was crushing the offensive glass to the tune of 168 back in early 2000s. Same with Tina Charles or Rebekkah Brunson. Nobody ever made the claim that those legends were "padding" their rebounding numbers. Those ladies were given praise about their effort and desire. The same should be said for Angel. She works her butt off on those rebounds.

I think we probably read the same report. I was reading the Sporting News report where the writer compared Angel's numbers to Clint Carela, Nikola Jokic, and a few other NBA players & WNBA players who are decent offensive rebounders and Angel's numbers were 0.1%-0.4% behind or on par with those players. Angel is just being judged by a different standard and it is sad and annoying.
It's not only casual fans. Just heard Frank Isola of ESPN on Around the Horn stating that Angel's rebound numbers would be lower if she made more of her shots. The problem isn't solely due to fans who aren't knowledgeable about the game. Even experienced media pundits are guilty for not doing their own research.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
It's not only casual fans. Just heard Frank Isola of ESPN on Around the Horn stating that Angel's rebound numbers would be lower if she made more of her shots. The problem isn't solely due to fans who aren't knowledgeable about the game. Even experienced media pundits are guilty for not doing their own research.
I mean, that's true. The key thing is not "meaningfully lower" insofar as she would still lead the league in rebounds.

I think what people are reacting to at a high level is the visceral ugh feeling when someone gets three of their own missed shots before drawing a foul on the fourth (missed) shot on the play. No matter how amazing a big's rebounding skills are, that's the kind of play you just want to look away from...

Reaction Score
Yikes! That is just lazy reporting. Folks like Isola do a huge disservice to sports. I did not watch Around the Horn so I am guessing that he did not show any data to back up his claim that Angel's rebound numbers would be lower if she made more of her shots. He does realize that out of her 152 offensive rebounds, 64 come from her own misses, which means she is, I am no math whiz but, getting 88 offensive rebounds from her teammates missed shots, and we know Chicago Sky can't shoot that well.

Angel is just a heck of a rebounder. You would think that folks would be praising her rebounding effort. When we all know that a lot of players don't like to rebound, especially offensive rebounds. A lot players don't follow their shots. Angel just follows her shot and those of her teammate's shots. She has great body positioning for rebounds. Angel has a that gift for rebounding and folks are trying to criticize her for it.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Indiana was up big, Atlanta made a run, but Fever held on.

Boston caught somebody with a nasty elbow, I think it was Gray. No way to treat a fellow alum.

Dang it @cancontent , maybe I did jinx the Dream.

Reaction Score
Indiana was up big, Atlanta made a run, but Fever held on.

Boston caught somebody with a nasty elbow, I think it was Gray. No way to treat a fellow alum.

Dang it @cancontent , maybe I did jinx the Dream.
Nah, in this case Atlanta owns full responsibility for this loss.

They fell back into their "What the???" offence instead of the ball movement and work the paint style that had been working for them. For a while I thought they gave up and were mailing it in.

Indiana was hot shooting and without looking at tie boxscore, I think they won the rebounding game. Howard and Gray, prior to her taking that elbow struggled to score. Maybe, we can blame you for we can blame you for that (;)). From my perspective though, they seemed a tad more worked up for this game than they usually are.

Reaction Score
I mean, that's true. The key thing is not "meaningfully lower" insofar as she would still lead the league in rebounds.

I think what people are reacting to at a high level is the visceral ugh feeling when someone gets three of their own missed shots before drawing a foul on the fourth (missed) shot on the play. No matter how amazing a big's rebounding skills are, that's the kind of play you just want to look away from...
And that's totally fair. It isn't pretty but it doesn't mean context can't be provided to help explain her stats.

The media talk about a lot things that "aren't pretty but it works" when it comes to successful offences or defences, regardless of sport. Rhetorical question, but can't the same treatment be applied here? Sports fans, even casual ones, would understand.

Reaction Score

Why? I actually love plays like that. It shows resilience, tenacity, fight and determination and aggression. That real hoops to me and more exciting that an easy lay-up. If it ends with 2, who cares how many misses it takes to get there? Obviously not everyone has to like the same things but people act like the way Angel plays is completely unenjoyable for everyone when its just a personal preference.

I also think people are reacting to more than just finding 1-2 possessions per game this happens on.

Reaction Score

Tonight might be a tiny step in that direction.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom