2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---) | Page 14 | The Boneyard

2024 WNBA Season: Part 2 (August ---)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Angel with three straight 20 rebound games is insanity. Might be one of the greatest rebounders of all time already and she's just a rookie.

I like Angel but the stats are far prettier than the play on the court is. She’s missing so many point blank layups lately and it’s just ugly basketball even if it means a lot of rebounds. 7-28 shooting her last 2 games is atrocious even if she’s dominating the glass.

Reaction Score
I like Angel but the stats are far prettier than the play on the court is. She’s missing so many point blank layups lately and it’s just ugly basketball even if it means a lot of rebounds. 7-28 shooting her last 2 games is atrocious even if she’s dominating the glass.
I agree. But I do have to say she’s a monster under the boards. Reminds me a bit of Charles Barkley - a bit undersized and a relentless rebounder. If she ever learns to make bunnies, she’s going to be a superstar!

Reaction Score
A'ja is starting to cool off so it's definitely a possibility. The issue is that A'ja lapped everyone (going with a running analogy) prior to the Olympic break and it's going to take a historic effort for Phee to close the gap.
Another game winner today by the MVP. I'll take her cooling off everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.

Reaction Score
The leading 3-point shooter in the W is Stef Dolson, at 50%.

The next 3 shooters all come from Minnesota: Smith, Carleton, and McBride, all between 42% and 44%.
Minnesota has to be the favorite to win the title, they have an above average coach who has been there.
Good outside shooting, good backcourt play, guards who can defend, and depth.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
  • Anyone noticed Megan Gustafson started? Scored 13 pts on 5-8 shooting. Sky slightly outrebounded Aces, but Wilson and MG held Cardoso and Reese in check, scoring-wise.
  • Chicago got zero - O - points from its bench. Point guard Lindsey Allen had 16 points and 5 assists.
  • Like most, I appreciate Angel Reese's gumption and energy that drives her rebounding and defensive efforts, but she's got to convert those bunnies. Geesh.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Another game winner today by the MVP. I'll take her cooling off everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.
I should have waited an hour before I thought about posting that. :oops:

She sure had a MVP moment but 7-28 shooting for 20 points isn't up to her standards.

Reaction Score
I'd suggest you watch her play more closely.
Her reputation as a shooter requires the defense to close out on her shot. When teams do that then she is relegated to being a passer. That's all I see from her. She doesn't hit the open 3's that she gets. I've seen her take someone off the dribble one time all season. Her defense is nothing to write about, in fact it's probably a weakness.
Indiana paid her as if she was starting material. And that investment has shown to be bad so far. Her and Hull are competing for that 3 spot. If KLS doesn't hit 3s(which she isn't), then what else does she do? What are you seeing that we aren't seeing?

Reaction Score
I mean I disagree in terms of aesthetics. She is very fun to watch, her rebounding in particular. One play I think she got 4 rebounds in a row over A'Ja Wilson and missed three times but got two free throws. That shows up as an 0-3 in the box score but she still walked away with 2 points without losing possession.

She certainly needs to become more efficient but she is a masterclass on rebounding and heart on that court that is just exciting to watch. She has that it factor. At this point I am only watching the Sky to say "how did she manage that??".

And 7-28 is pretty much in line with the "unanimous" MVP in the league had in just this one game so maybe efficiency is overrated? ;)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
It's only halftime, but Odyssey Sims has shot 5-6 from the field and 6-6 from the FT line in helping LA to a 55-45 lead over -- you guessed it --- Dallas.

Sims might've been Dallas most effective guard pre-Olympic break. And did GM Greg Bibb try to free up a roster spot with a trade? Nah.

This has been a cha-cha team for so long (few steps forward, few steps back...some sideways) that at some point Dallas ownership needs to let someone else try a new dance.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Minnesota has to be the favorite to win the title, they have an above average coach who has been there.
Good outside shooting, good backcourt play, guards who can defend, and depth.
I'd say the Liberty are the clear favorite but the final series with Minnesota is going to be fantastic

Reaction Score
It's only halftime, but Odyssey Sims has shot 5-6 from the field and 6-6 from the FT line in helping LA to a 55-45 lead over -- you guessed it --- Dallas.

Sims might've been Dallas most effective guard pre-Olympic break. And did GM Greg Bibb try to free up a roster spot with a trade? Nah.

This has been a cha-cha team for so long (few steps forward, few steps back...some sideways) that at some point Dallas ownership needs to let someone else try a new dance.
Sims is the real deal. Dallas loss for sure

Reaction Score

Remember Odyssey is operating against the league's worst defense giving up 90 points per game.

The announcers indicated that Odyssey was released due to League rule, that is there was no discretion on the part of Dallas management to retain her as players returned from injury.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
So, Dallas comes back from a 22-pt. deficit that comes down to a missed Steph Talbot FT with 2+ seconds left to win 113-110. Arike O. (33) and N. Howard (30) combine for 63.

Well, three of the four teams playing today may have losing records, but the games came down to the last few ticks in both instances.

WBBTakeover

Don't get caught sleeping!
Reaction Score
I'd say the Liberty are the clear favorite but the final series with Minnesota is going to be fantastic
Is?

What happens if neither of them make it? This is an Olympic year, so we've seen the favorites fall before the Finals.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
I mean I disagree in terms of aesthetics. She is very fun to watch, her rebounding in particular. One play I think she got 4 rebounds in a row over A'Ja Wilson and missed three times but got two free throws. That shows up as an 0-3 in the box score but she still walked away with 2 points without losing possession.
How is watching her tap at balls and miss point-blank layups "fun"? She has to be the most frustrating player to watch because she's, right now, the 4th-best player on the team yet she's getting almost all of the positive press. Kamilla, Lindsay, and Chennedy were better than Angel today.

She certainly needs to become more efficient but she is a masterclass on rebounding and heart on that court that is just exciting to watch. She has that it factor. At this point I am only watching the Sky to say "how did she manage that??".
If you're watching the Sky just to see Angel miss point-blank lay-ups, then you're missing a lot. The story of today's game centered around Chennedy, Kamilla (especially her defense on A'ja), and Lindsay (triggered the late come-back almost singlehandedly until Chennedy got back into the game).

And 7-28 is pretty much in line with the "unanimous" MVP in the league had in just this one game so maybe efficiency is overrated? ;)
Considering that last year's regular season MVP shot 7% from the field in a game in 2023 and still walked away with the trophy, then yeah--efficiency can be seen as being overrated by some. ;)

I look at it this way. If you're not your team's primary offensive weapon, then you have no business shooting 25% from the floor unless you're in a major slump. Comparing A'ja being the focal point of every defense in the world (leading to double and triple teams that no other player in the WNBA receives--including the MVP runner-up who plays for the Lynx) to a rookie who can't make a wide-open lay-up is nasty work.

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
40-18 (!!!) Wings in the 4th quarter! 22-point lead BLOWN! Curt Miller has to see a pink slip because...wow.

I'm not the biggest Rickea Jackson fan in the world, but she deserves better than the Sparks, Curt, etc. This is just a mess.

Reaction Score
Angel with three straight 20 rebound games is insanity. Might be one of the greatest rebounders of all time already and she's just a rookie.

Angel reminds me of Moses Malone with her rebounding. Her quick jump. Long arms. Her timing. That desire to outwork people for the rebound. What a legend in the making. Angel is a beast on them boards!

WBBTakeover

Reaction Score
I'm hoping that the Mystics get Paige and become the third team in the "East" to tap into the youth movement. After what I saw today, the Sparks are a no-no.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CajunHusk94

Top Bottom