2024 NBA Mock Draft Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

2024 NBA Mock Draft Thread

awy

Reaction Score
the guys from no ceilings did a what they would do mock and had clingan castle going 1 2

btw sarr's agency is the same as luka's and luka pulled the no workout for atlanta thing too. there's prob bad blood there and atl likely isn't pulling an orlando here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Vecenie's latest mock that was posted this morning

Clingan #1, Castle #6, Spencer #43, Newton #45

1. Atlanta Hawks​

Donovan Clingan | 7-2 center | 20 years old | Connecticut​

The conversation around the Hawks has been fascinating to track. Despite Hawks’ general manager Landry Fields saying the team is comfortable selecting at No. 1, league sources continue to get the impression Atlanta is open to offers for the right deal.

One reason: Clingan is the name I have heard linked with the Hawks most often over this past week. He wouldn’t be the sexiest pick, but would fill a few objectives for Atlanta. Firstly, the organization has not yet shown any indication of rebuilding, so it might prefer to select a player who can fit with its roster sooner rather than later. Secondly, coach Quin Snyder had success in Utah building around an elite big man screener and rim protector in Rudy Gobert. Clingan, who impressed in a recent workout for Atlanta, would provide the Hawks a potentially dominant interior presence and high-character big locked up for the near term.

Clingan had a monster close to the season, helping lead Connecticut to a second straight national title while averaging 13.7 points, 8.6 rebounds and 2.9 blocks over his last 18 games, including 16 points, 9.4 rebounds and three blocks in his last seven. After returning from early-season ankle and foot injuries and getting back up to speed, he was one of the most dominant players in college basketball and was arguably the most imposing defender in the country through his sheer presence.

In my last mock draft in early June, I noted Clingan has been viewed as a potential option to go in the top three, and that remains the case. The Hawks might view Clingan more as a potential trade-down target and believe Risacher is a better potential option if they keep the No. 1 pick. The team has a workout with Risacher scheduled this week, which could result in a change of course in one direction or another. This selection process doesn’t seem like a done deal at this stage.

Atlanta might not even be able to move down all that far if it wants Clingan, as several teams picking below the top 3, including Memphis and Chicago, are interested in him and might try to trade up themselves.

6. Charlotte Hornets​

Stephon Castle | 6-6 wing | 19 years old | Connecticut​

The Hornets’ pick is seen as another inflection point, as teams around the league are unclear on the direction new head of basketball operations Jeff Peterson will take. Peterson was an assistant GM in Brooklyn and Atlanta, and his teams made varied picks during his time there.

Instead, I have the Hornets drafting Castle to be a strong fit between LaMelo Ball and Brandon Miller. My latest intel indicates Castle is likely to come off of the board somewhere between the No. 4 and No. 8 picks. He’s a tremendous defender with size and attributes that help teams win games. He got publicity at the NBA combine for saying he views himself as a point guard, but NBA teams largely classify him as a secondary playmaker who could grow into more on-ball reps in time.

Sources connected to the Connecticut program rave about Castle’s character and competitiveness; many loved his willingness to do whatever it took for the Huskies. He took on the defensive stopper role at times on players such as Alabama’s Mark Sears at the Final Four or Creighton’s Baylor Scheierman during the season. He shared responsibilities for initiating the offense, showcasing passing skill and an ability to get to the rim. He moved the ball well across the perimeter and was a high-impact player on both ends despite making only 27 percent of his 3s. He stepped up in almost all of their big games, including a 21-point Final Four performance and a 15-point national title game showing.
I love reading the dopes that can't get over the fact that Castle did not play PG for UConn. Because they already had a first team all american at the position, but you know, whatever!!!

Reaction Score
CBS Sports. Seven mocks by seven different writers. https://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock-draft/

Clingan highest #1. Lowest #7.
Castle highest #3. Lowest #8.
Why all the crazy love for Reed Shepherd? I know he’s a good 3pt shooter but hes not very big and not the defender Castle is. Is he the next coming Steph Curry?

Am I a homer thinking Castle has a much better Nba career?

Reaction Score
I love reading the dopes that can't get over the fact that Castle did not play PG for UConn. Because they already had a first team all american at the position, but you know, whatever!!!

It's also just a dumb argument. We didn't have a "point guard"--we had 4 different players who took turns running the offense. Yeah, we gave it to the First-Team AA in the biggest of moments, but there were many possessions that Castle ran the offense, including that 30-0 run versus Ilinois.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Have we ever had a guy mocked at 1 by a legitimate source before, other than maybe Okafor?

Reaction Score
Seems like Newton is appearing higher in mocks as we get closer to the draft compared to when the CBB season ended, hoping this is based on intel and not writers just guessing. By the time this process wraps up he will have worked out for half the league so I'd imagine some info has leaked out.

Reaction Score
Givony and Vecenie both posted their final big boards today (not mock, their opinion/evaluation of players).

Givony:
  1. Risacher
  2. Sarr
  3. Clingan
  4. Sheppard
  5. Buzelis
  6. Castle
Noteworthy ranks: Dillingham 8, Filipowski 21, Collier 23.

Vecenie:
  1. Sarr
  2. Sheppard
  3. Castle
  4. Clingan
  5. Risacher
Noteworthy ranks: Cody Williams 6, Carter 7, Carrington 8, Buzelis 12, Topic 13, Kyshawn George 35

Reaction Score
Why all the crazy love for Reed Shepherd? I know he’s a good 3pt shooter but hes not very big and not the defender Castle is. Is he the next coming Steph Curry?

Am I a homer thinking Castle has a much better Nba career?
50% three point shooter on decent volume, really high IQ and can run an offense really well. The big risk on him is his size obviously

I think his floor is higher than Steph's, but Steph's ceiling is WAY higher

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Vecenie's latest mock that was posted this morning

Clingan #1, Castle #6, Spencer #43, Newton #45

1. Atlanta Hawks​

Donovan Clingan | 7-2 center | 20 years old | Connecticut​

The conversation around the Hawks has been fascinating to track. Despite Hawks’ general manager Landry Fields saying the team is comfortable selecting at No. 1, league sources continue to get the impression Atlanta is open to offers for the right deal.

One reason: Clingan is the name I have heard linked with the Hawks most often over this past week. He wouldn’t be the sexiest pick, but would fill a few objectives for Atlanta. Firstly, the organization has not yet shown any indication of rebuilding, so it might prefer to select a player who can fit with its roster sooner rather than later. Secondly, coach Quin Snyder had success in Utah building around an elite big man screener and rim protector in Rudy Gobert. Clingan, who impressed in a recent workout for Atlanta, would provide the Hawks a potentially dominant interior presence and high-character big locked up for the near term.

Clingan had a monster close to the season, helping lead Connecticut to a second straight national title while averaging 13.7 points, 8.6 rebounds and 2.9 blocks over his last 18 games, including 16 points, 9.4 rebounds and three blocks in his last seven. After returning from early-season ankle and foot injuries and getting back up to speed, he was one of the most dominant players in college basketball and was arguably the most imposing defender in the country through his sheer presence.

In my last mock draft in early June, I noted Clingan has been viewed as a potential option to go in the top three, and that remains the case. The Hawks might view Clingan more as a potential trade-down target and believe Risacher is a better potential option if they keep the No. 1 pick. The team has a workout with Risacher scheduled this week, which could result in a change of course in one direction or another. This selection process doesn’t seem like a done deal at this stage.

Atlanta might not even be able to move down all that far if it wants Clingan, as several teams picking below the top 3, including Memphis and Chicago, are interested in him and might try to trade up themselves.

6. Charlotte Hornets​

Stephon Castle | 6-6 wing | 19 years old | Connecticut​

The Hornets’ pick is seen as another inflection point, as teams around the league are unclear on the direction new head of basketball operations Jeff Peterson will take. Peterson was an assistant GM in Brooklyn and Atlanta, and his teams made varied picks during his time there.

Instead, I have the Hornets drafting Castle to be a strong fit between LaMelo Ball and Brandon Miller. My latest intel indicates Castle is likely to come off of the board somewhere between the No. 4 and No. 8 picks. He’s a tremendous defender with size and attributes that help teams win games. He got publicity at the NBA combine for saying he views himself as a point guard, but NBA teams largely classify him as a secondary playmaker who could grow into more on-ball reps in time.

Sources connected to the Connecticut program rave about Castle’s character and competitiveness; many loved his willingness to do whatever it took for the Huskies. He took on the defensive stopper role at times on players such as Alabama’s Mark Sears at the Final Four or Creighton’s Baylor Scheierman during the season. He shared responsibilities for initiating the offense, showcasing passing skill and an ability to get to the rim. He moved the ball well across the perimeter and was a high-impact player on both ends despite making only 27 percent of his 3s. He stepped up in almost all of their big games, including a 21-point Final Four performance and a 15-point national title game showing.
I don't know what to do with this. Love the first part, hate the 2nd part. I don't think Castle lasts past 4.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Maybe someone had Thabeet at 1? Blake Griffin was the consensus from what I remember.

I think Okafor vs. Dwight was a real debate.

It was a real debate - Thabeet not so much

Reaction Score
I don't know what to do with this. Love the first part, hate the 2nd part. I don't think Castle lasts past 4.
I agree! Most of what I am reading on the NBA boards is the Castle is the first guard picked in the draft. Clingan draft slot is harder to pin down. Maybe 1 or maybe as low as 8.

Reaction Score
No chance it happens but I'll hope anyway

IMG_7378.jpeg

Reaction Score
From an article posted today by Givony/ESPN on draft sleepers at every position, he put Spencer as the 6th man

Sixth man
Cam Spencer | UConn Huskies
6-3 | Age: 24.2 | Top 100 ranking: 42

Spencer is another prospect who is easy to talk yourself out of ranking very high because of his age, a bad body, limited length and poor athletic ability: Who is he going to guard? Can he get by anyone? Does he get his jumper off fast enough? Why did he struggle so much at the draft combine?

But there's very little chance UConn wins a national championship without Spencer's dynamic, prolific shot-making, playmaking ability, competitiveness and feel for the game. He thinks he's the best player every time he steps on the court, is incredibly unselfish and never turns the ball over. He brings nonstop hustle on defense, which then compensates for his shortcomings on that end of the court because of his elite instincts and toughness. He is often the first one off the ground for rebounds and has jumped passing lanes prolifically his entire career.

Spencer made 90% of his free throws and 44% of his 3-pointers during the past two seasons at Rutgers and UConn, many of which came running off screens or pulling up off the dribble from difficult vantage points. He was also a deadly shooter when his feet were set.

Projection: Spencer is vying to be drafted anywhere in the second round, hunting for a situation where a real roster spot will be available, as opposed to a two-way contract. He earned quite a few NBA fans in UConn's national championship run and will certainly have an opportunity to show how his game translates to the pro setting. He was having outstanding pre-draft workouts before a minor ankle sprain caused him to miss some time, but he's already back on the road and will end up conducting close to a dozen workouts.

Reaction Score
From an article posted today by Givony/ESPN on draft sleepers at every position, he put Spencer as the 6th man

Sixth man
Cam Spencer | UConn Huskies
6-3 | Age: 24.2 | Top 100 ranking: 42

Spencer is another prospect who is easy to talk yourself out of ranking very high because of his age, a bad body, limited length and poor athletic ability: Who is he going to guard? Can he get by anyone? Does he get his jumper off fast enough? Why did he struggle so much at the draft combine?

But there's very little chance UConn wins a national championship without Spencer's dynamic, prolific shot-making, playmaking ability, competitiveness and feel for the game. He thinks he's the best player every time he steps on the court, is incredibly unselfish and never turns the ball over. He brings nonstop hustle on defense, which then compensates for his shortcomings on that end of the court because of his elite instincts and toughness. He is often the first one off the ground for rebounds and has jumped passing lanes prolifically his entire career.

Spencer made 90% of his free throws and 44% of his 3-pointers during the past two seasons at Rutgers and UConn, many of which came running off screens or pulling up off the dribble from difficult vantage points. He was also a deadly shooter when his feet were set.

Projection: Spencer is vying to be drafted anywhere in the second round, hunting for a situation where a real roster spot will be available, as opposed to a two-way contract. He earned quite a few NBA fans in UConn's national championship run and will certainly have an opportunity to show how his game translates to the pro setting. He was having outstanding pre-draft workouts before a minor ankle sprain caused him to miss some time, but he's already back on the road and will end up conducting close to a dozen workouts.

Reaction Score
He might be the best available at 4 if the euros + Sheppard go 1-3
Is there a chance Sheppard goes before DC?? Aren't 6'1 guards that can shoot more prevalent than 7'3 guys with DC's skill set?

Reaction Score
Is there a chance Sheppard goes before DC?? Aren't 6'1 guards that can shoot more prevalent than 7'3 guys with DC's skill set?
ESPN and Sam Vecenie both have Sheppard at #3. I’m not saying he’ll be better than Castle or Clingan, but he’s really, really good.

Reaction Score
waiting for the draft to be over so we can shake out what was true regarding DC or whether Givony has been playing agent games

Reaction Score
Vecenie’s latest mock has our guys at the following spots:

4. Castle (Spurs)
5. Clingan (Grizzlies, via trade with the Pistons)
43. Spencer (Heat)
51. Newton (Wizards)

Clingan is still in play at #1 to the Hawks if they don’t pick Risacher. The Hawks could also trade down to draft Clingan. He also says multiple teams would consider trading up to draft him if he doesn’t go #1.

If Clingan dropped into the No. 3 to No. 6 range, a number of teams picking below that range would have serious interest in moving up to acquire Connecticut’s star 7-footer, league sources tell The Athletic.

NBA Mock Draft: What are the Hawks up to? That mystery hovers over this week

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom