2024 NBA Mock Draft Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2024 NBA Mock Draft Thread

Reaction Score
As we all know, that situation was certainly not all on the Hornets.
You won't find a bigger Bouknight fan than me. I loved him as a UConn player as much, if not more than Boat (my co-favorite player), but anyone who is paying attention at all knows Bouk's failure to confirm and work hard are responsible for his demise. This one isn't on the Hornets. Devin Booker level talent with no focus or work ethic, imo.

Reaction Score
You won't find a bigger Bouknight fan than me. I loved him as a UConn player as much, if not more than Boat (my co-favorite player), but anyone who is paying attention at all knows Bouk's failure to confirm and work hard are responsible for his demise. This one isn't on the Hornets. Devin Booker level talent with no focus or work ethic, imo.

I wonder if Bouknight fits the criteria today that Hurley looks for in a player.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Bouknight fits the criteria today that Hurley looks for in a player.

Yes. He was way, way overlooked in HS because of an injury. There weren't any indications (that I recall) before he got to UConn that he was going to be a headcase. But who knows... maybe there was some stuff behind-the-scenes we took a risk on that wouldn't be necessary now that we have more pull with recruits.

Reaction Score
Keep an eye on OKC, some stuff coming up they want Clingon and may also get in on Drummond, that's almost enough to make me a fan. And non-Huskie related, I heard they could be looking to trade Giddy too

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Who was supposed to win this series? All the talking heads I've seen said Dallas.

What did Vegas think?

Poe

Reaction Score
Love this kid, cool as a cucumber but has the killer instinct, great combination.

UConn LEGEND.
Will not be surprised when he gets a triple double in the nba.

Reaction Score

Castle up to #4 to Spurs and DC #7 to Portland, Cam #48 to Spurs as well and the disrespect still for TN
Clingan is clearly in play at #1, though.

Clingan appears to be Risacher's main rival at No. 1. His workout -- where he shot the ball extremely well, showed surprisingly good passing ability operating out of short rolls and was impressive both in film study and in interviews -- helped his draft standing and makes him as possible sleeper selection here, as we've discussed for several weeks.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Will not be surprised when he gets a triple double in the nba.
I would be, but I admit that would be incredibly cool.

Reaction Score
Hard to make sense of Sarr snubbing the Hawks to go to the dumpster fire in Washington. This reminds me of when Orlando didn't bring Banchero for a workout as a smokescreen and then picked him #1 to everyone's surprise.

Reaction Score
Vecenie's latest mock that was posted this morning

Clingan #1, Castle #6, Spencer #43, Newton #45

1. Atlanta Hawks​

Donovan Clingan | 7-2 center | 20 years old | Connecticut​

The conversation around the Hawks has been fascinating to track. Despite Hawks’ general manager Landry Fields saying the team is comfortable selecting at No. 1, league sources continue to get the impression Atlanta is open to offers for the right deal.

One reason: Clingan is the name I have heard linked with the Hawks most often over this past week. He wouldn’t be the sexiest pick, but would fill a few objectives for Atlanta. Firstly, the organization has not yet shown any indication of rebuilding, so it might prefer to select a player who can fit with its roster sooner rather than later. Secondly, coach Quin Snyder had success in Utah building around an elite big man screener and rim protector in Rudy Gobert. Clingan, who impressed in a recent workout for Atlanta, would provide the Hawks a potentially dominant interior presence and high-character big locked up for the near term.

Clingan had a monster close to the season, helping lead Connecticut to a second straight national title while averaging 13.7 points, 8.6 rebounds and 2.9 blocks over his last 18 games, including 16 points, 9.4 rebounds and three blocks in his last seven. After returning from early-season ankle and foot injuries and getting back up to speed, he was one of the most dominant players in college basketball and was arguably the most imposing defender in the country through his sheer presence.

In my last mock draft in early June, I noted Clingan has been viewed as a potential option to go in the top three, and that remains the case. The Hawks might view Clingan more as a potential trade-down target and believe Risacher is a better potential option if they keep the No. 1 pick. The team has a workout with Risacher scheduled this week, which could result in a change of course in one direction or another. This selection process doesn’t seem like a done deal at this stage.

Atlanta might not even be able to move down all that far if it wants Clingan, as several teams picking below the top 3, including Memphis and Chicago, are interested in him and might try to trade up themselves.

6. Charlotte Hornets​

Stephon Castle | 6-6 wing | 19 years old | Connecticut​

The Hornets’ pick is seen as another inflection point, as teams around the league are unclear on the direction new head of basketball operations Jeff Peterson will take. Peterson was an assistant GM in Brooklyn and Atlanta, and his teams made varied picks during his time there.

Instead, I have the Hornets drafting Castle to be a strong fit between LaMelo Ball and Brandon Miller. My latest intel indicates Castle is likely to come off of the board somewhere between the No. 4 and No. 8 picks. He’s a tremendous defender with size and attributes that help teams win games. He got publicity at the NBA combine for saying he views himself as a point guard, but NBA teams largely classify him as a secondary playmaker who could grow into more on-ball reps in time.

Sources connected to the Connecticut program rave about Castle’s character and competitiveness; many loved his willingness to do whatever it took for the Huskies. He took on the defensive stopper role at times on players such as Alabama’s Mark Sears at the Final Four or Creighton’s Baylor Scheierman during the season. He shared responsibilities for initiating the offense, showcasing passing skill and an ability to get to the rim. He moved the ball well across the perimeter and was a high-impact player on both ends despite making only 27 percent of his 3s. He stepped up in almost all of their big games, including a 21-point Final Four performance and a 15-point national title game showing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom