2022 Recruiting Thread | Page 68 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
Does anyone know how many scholarships we have left? I remember seeing earlier in the thread it was in the 20s, but not sure where we stand now with a couple more people in the portal and a handful of commits since then.

Reaction Score
I know it’s very early but from the handful of commits Mora has gotten, I’m a bit concerned about quality of the commits’ other offers. Not counting the re-commits, Spearman is the only one with a P5 offer and most of the offers for everyone else aren’t great. Am I alone in this bit of early concern?

Reaction Score
I know it’s very early but from the handful of commits Mora has gotten, I’m a bit concerned about quality of the commits’ other offers. Not counting the re-commits, Spearman is the only one with a P5 offer and most of the offers for everyone else aren’t great. Am I alone in this bit of early concern?

you are alone ... but this is the Boneyard - Lemmings are coming for you

Reaction Score
Get you point/concern (and won’t argue about a few of the offers - I had to look up the schools to figure out what division classification they were in and I’ve been doing this for awhile)… but for accuracy, Rosa held a BC offer.

Reaction Score
We all think it I’m sure but I’m not concerned. We almost landed a 4 star so I’m sure it’s gunna come eventually.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Legit concern, but keep in mind many say the amount of offers being made is down because of the portal creating a lot more transfers. So maybe some of these guys would have more competing offers pre-portal.

Anyway, I'm willing to chalk up this first Dec class as the great "door opener" of sorts. In a few short weeks Mora has gone out and busted open doors, particularly the doors in the northeast at schools that have come to produce a lot of bench depth to many FBS programs.

Feb will present a new opportunity and then if he can produce something on the field next fall then things really start to change in December 22.

Reaction Score
Get you point/concern (and won’t argue about a few of the offers - I had to look up the schools to figure out what division classification they were in and I’ve been doing this for awhile)… but for accuracy, Rosa held a BC offer.
Rosa was also a re-commit, I believe.

Mora is, frankly, an incredibly overqualified coach for this job, and the fact that we were able to land his is incredible. I do wonder, though, whether he knows what “level/quality” player is a good get for UConn since he was used to recruiting at UCLA, which surely gets much higher level prospects. I’ve wondered for a long time whether Diaco struggled with this, coming from Notre Dame, because I doubt his enthusiasm or energy was the issue.

Reaction Score
Rosa was also a re-commit, I believe.

Mora is, frankly, an incredibly overqualified coach for this job, and the fact that we were able to land his is incredible. I do wonder, though, whether he knows what “level/quality” player is a good get for UConn since he was used to recruiting at UCLA, which surely gets much higher level prospects. I’ve wondered for a long time whether Diaco struggled with this, coming from Notre Dame, because I doubt his enthusiasm or energy was the issue.
Well then he needs to develop. Ross and Drayton were ur classic three stars with FCS FBS offers. Ross was a top freshman. Offers don’t mean everything. Nate Carter had only fcs offers. Randy stunk at developing. Is Mora better? That’s the ultimate question.

Reaction Score
Well then he needs to develop. Ross and Drayton were ur classic three stars with FCS FBS offers. Ross was a top freshman. Offers don’t mean everything. Nate Carter had only fcs offers. Randy stunk at developing. Is Mora better? That’s the ultimate question.
If you look at the history, the rating services have not been good at evaluating UConn football prospects. I’m not even sure there’s much, if any, correlation between how many stars (or points) UConn players have had and their levels of success. Just look at the list of UConn football’s highest rated players of all time. It’s mostly a bunch of players who were eh/okay. (Compare to the rating services’ all time evaluations for UConn basketball players which have generally been pretty accurate.) I guess my point is that it seems like stars/rating is a poor predictor of player success, at least for UConn players, so I mostly make my judgements based on the players’ other offers. Thus, you can see why it’s a bit concerning. Having said that, it’s extremely early and there’s lots of enthusiasm around the program and I very well may be nitpicking. Only time will tell.

Reaction Score
If you look at the history, the rating services have not been good at evaluating UConn football prospects. I’m not even sure there’s much, if any, correlation between how many stars (or points) UConn players have had and their levels of success. Just look at the list of UConn football’s highest rated players of all time. It’s mostly a bunch of players who were eh/okay. (Compare to the rating services’ all time evaluations for UConn basketball players which have generally been pretty accurate.) I guess my point is that it seems like stars/rating is a poor predictor of player success, at least for UConn players, so I mostly make my judgements based on the player’s other offers. Thus, you can see why it’s a bit concerning. Having said that, it’s extremely early and there’s lots of enthusiasm around the program and I very well may be nitpicking. Only time will tell.
I mean he’s also recruiting way late in the game. His 23 and 24 offers have been shooting high.

Reaction Score
I mean he’s also recruiting way late in the game.
It's next to impossible to put a good class together in a scenario like ours. Next year will be more telling.

I am hoping to hit on some players in the portal, though. We desperately need a talent infusion and that is where it will have to come from. I wouldn't even mind saving a few scholarships for the spring. Some player somewhere is going to get shoved down the depth chart and be looking to start

Reaction Score
Gotta believe the coaching staff knows what they're doing... so worrying about something like this now isn't worth it.

Reaction Score
Interesting story. University of Texas played Iowa State this season. Texas had OVER 70 4 star and 5 star players!! Iowa State had 4. Iowa State won 30 to 7!!!!!!! You would have thoght that Iowa State would never show up for a game that was as big a mismatch as that. The bottom line if you can get the right coaching staff that knows how to teach and the right transfers we can win.

Reaction Score
If you look at the history, the rating services have not been good at evaluating UConn football prospects. I’m not even sure there’s much, if any, correlation between how many stars (or points) UConn players have had and their levels of success. Just look at the list of UConn football’s highest rated players of all time. It’s mostly a bunch of players who were eh/okay. (Compare to the rating services’ all time evaluations for UConn basketball players which have generally been pretty accurate.) I guess my point is that it seems like stars/rating is a poor predictor of player success, at least for UConn players, so I mostly make my judgements based on the players’ other offers. Thus, you can see why it’s a bit concerning. Having said that, it’s extremely early and there’s lots of enthusiasm around the program and I very well may be nitpicking. Only time will tell.

they aren't UCONN football prospects

To begin: the rating services are not good at evaluating MOST of the states/regions in our recruiting harvest fields. Not good in upstate NY; NOT good in CT or MA - and awful in NH or RI; NOT good in the boroughs and LI. And never in Quebec or Ontario

Then the Edsall eye offering a kid based on evaluation or camp ... meant nothing.

But I don't think that means they were biased against UCONN. Rather ... they knew their business. A Rutgers website with 4 times the clicks and more advert revenue is what drives this kind of thing. Therefore, don't worry your pretty head

Reaction Score
Exciting player - drops ODU for Kansas

Leopold changing Kansas in a hurry. So many commitments this week. This is where I think it’s fair to be concerned w Mora a little, transfers. There’s beyond a bunch of playing time available. We have one so far. Need to get a bunch for next year.

Reaction Score
Mora has been here a month. He's trying to fill out an 85 man roster. At the end of the day all that will matter are wins and losses.
Also trying not to overload the roster with incoming freshmen. A mix of high school commits and filling holes with JUCOs and portal players will balance out scholarship spots available in ensuing years. Lots of chess pieces being moved around with positional needs and years of eligibility. This is all being done with an expectation of talent improvements for high school recruiting in 2023 and beyond.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
I would add two things apparently these 2 commits makes it less likely Kareem Burke re-commits and I still think that WR is one of our strongest returning position groups so I am a little surprised we used 2 schollies there especially with some higher end WRs we made offers to in the portal. My point being if we are looking to add to what we have at that position already add a stud. I get the size aspect, and I trust the staff, but we have 5 guys returning with more production then Nigel: (see his career stats below)

View attachment 71803

I get what you are saying but KJ just tweeted this out. If he wasn't seriously considering us and just doing his friend a favor then I would be more concerned.

Reaction Score
Medic, I know you still have them listed as commits. Question, what's the odds that Timothy Passmore or D'Mon Brinson sign this week or are even still committed? Both were Edsall commits way back after June visits, but neither has much on their twitter account though Passmore still has a Uconn commit & tweet from June on his. And the only thing I've seen about Uconn in months from Brinson is him retweeting McGill decommiting and I don't think I ever saw a tweet confirming Uconn. Anyone read recent info on these 2 ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Medic, I know you still have them listed as commits. Question, what's the odds that Timothy Passmore or D'Mon Brinson sign this week or are even still committed? Both were Edsall commits way back after June visits, but neither has much on their twitter account though Passmore still has a Uconn commit & tweet from June on his. And the only thing I've seen about Uconn in months from Brinson is him retweeting McGill decommiting and I don't think I ever saw a tweet confirming Uconn. Anyone read resent info on these 2 ?

And in Mrs Rosa's picture from the Rentschler Field ... we had a Brinson sighting. So ... OV

Reaction Score
BTW regarding former Uconn commit McGill from yesterday, if not in this thread

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom