2022-23 Transfer portal announcements | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Transfer portal announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Watch out for SC with the Cambridge Drama

I feel like any time a top recruit uses their skill set to get a sibling a scholarship (or a parent a job) at a top school it doesn't go well. No idea if that's what Cambridge is doing, but I can't imagine Dawn goes for it if that's the case. Dawn's done a great job of bringing in hard working, good natured kids and runs a clean program without drama.

Kennedy Cambridge was a former top 50 recruit, so she's a skilled player in her own right but I just don't see Dawn going that route if she doesn't have a need for Kennedy (and based on roster makeup, I don't think she does).

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Several of those schools would probably offer Kennedy a scholarship if it increased their chances of landing Jaloni.

Texas definitely needs depth at point guard; so, if she's truly a "combo" guard who is capable and agreeable to provide some back up minutes to starting PG Rori Harmon, I can see Vic bringing her into the program. I believe we have at least 2 ships to offer this offseason for 2023-24.
Pull a page out of Kevin McGuff's playbook and hire her father to be an assistant coach and have both sisters on the roster...

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Pull a page out of Kevin McGuff's playbook and hire her father to be an assistant coach and have both sisters on the roster...
Truth for sure (and a good dig, too ;)), but McGuff has gone on record as saying he redid his approach a few years back to focus more on overall team chemistry (somebody posted this article). And, I think one can see that with last year's and this year's team.

Reaction Score
Truth for sure (and a good dig, too ;)), but McGuff has gone on record as saying he redid his approach a few years back to focus more on overall team chemistry (somebody posted this article). And, I think one can see that with last year's and this year's team.
Agreed. He's not as overly focused on getting highly ranked players if they're not the right fit. Was kind of refreshing to hear this because there are a lot of great players who will likely never get ranked for various reasons. Not saying it's not a good thing to get a highly ranked recruit, but there are so many great players who weren't and are stars in the NCAA or WNBA.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think new coaches and young coaches can get desperate for recruiting success based on 'outside' rankings. Once established, and with a few mistakes under their belt, they can relax a bit and actually evaluate.

McGuff at his first P5 gig failed to reach the NCAA in 2 years, and failed to get a WNIT bid in his first year at OSU. Makes a coach pretty nervous! Mitchell was recruited/signed in his first year at OSU, and helped turn the team around.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
McGuff at his first P5 gig failed to reach the NCAA in 2 years
This needs some context. They were coming off of the disastrous Tia Jackson era and he quickly turned the program around. Won 20 games both years and laid the foundation for the success that Neighbors enjoyed.

Reaction Score
Lily Stoddard, Indiana Native Who Went to Purdue, Announces She's Entering Portal

Minor quibble with the article: Lily Stoddard is 6'4" tall and is a post, not a guard. You know...details count.
She initially committed to Sharon Versyp, but stayed at Purdue when Versyp left. She didn't see the court much at all and decided to leave: the tell-tale 404 page is on the Purdue Roster page.

Likely IU bound

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Idk where she would go but she is better than one of our starters and our entire bench (guards). All I can say
System GIF

Reaction Score
Where is she headed? LSU? VA? A&M?
LSU is a good prediction. They’re graduating Morris and, from what I know, unless Mulkey invests in Poole for PG, they’ll be in need of an experienced Point Guard.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
LSU is a good prediction. They’re graduating Morris and, from what I know, unless Mulkey invests in Poole for PG, they’ll be in need of an experienced Point Guard.
I wouldn't be mad at it.

IMO we have three locks for starters next season

PG-?
SG- F.Johnson
SF- M. Williams
PF-Reese
C-?

We need to get an experienced center as well to go along with Del Rosario...Poole,Poa, & Smith need to really develop in the off season.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be mad at it.

PG-?
SG- F.Johnson
SF- M. Williams
PF-Reese
C-?

We need to get an experienced center as well to go along with Del Rosario...Poole,Poa, & Smith need to really develop in the off season.
My guess is Kim getting some type of guard who can shoot from the portal then slides then into the PG role, much like what she did with Chloe Jackson who wasn't really a PG.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
These were Walker's Top 5 schools coming out of high school:

Reaction Score

Coach McCray-Penson recruited her to Mississippi State. However I’m sure Coach Purcell is very aware of her, especially when he was an assistant coach up the road.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't be mad at it.

PG-?
SG- F.Johnson
SF- M. Williams
PF-Reese
C-?

Unless she finds a big, I wouldn’t be surprised if Del Rosario starts from the beginning. Can’t think of anyone in the SEC who matches her size and Kim’s resume for developing bigs speaks for itself.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Coach McCray-Penson recruited her to Mississippi State. However I’m sure Coach Purcell is very aware of her, especially when he was an assistant coach up the road.
Then CW & Coach McCray-Penson needs to pick up the phone and recruit her to Rutgers. lol

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Unless she finds a big, I wouldn’t be surprised if Del Rosario starts from the beginning. Can’t think of anyone in the SEC who matches her size and Kim’s resume for developing bigs speaks for itself.
I hear there's a 6'7 post player returning for another season in Columbia, SC . . .

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Thanks for posting this for reference.
Michigan still needs a point guard. Wonder if she's on good terms with Coach Barnes-Arrico?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom