HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Huh. Seems like she’s getting a reasonable number of minutes

25A51691-57C6-4F04-B67F-8E82CA82BE82.jpeg

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
How does Verhulst have 3 years of eligibility remaining? She played a full season last year and played 8 games this year before voluntarily quitting the team.

Reaction Score
How does Verhulst have 3 years of eligibility remaining? She played a full season last year and played 8 games this year before voluntarily quitting the team.
Maybe it has something to do with the new transfer rules? Isn't the "portal window" system in effect now? If memory is correct, the window runs from Dec 1 - Dec 15 and players would be able to play right away.

Reaction Score
No inside knowledge but just guessing this may be a return home to Kansas. So Kansas or Kansas State?
Not sure about Kansas State. How would they manage minutes when they have the Glenn sisters, Sundell, and Gregory playing like they are currently? There seems to be a log jam based on their roster.

Don't know enough about Kansas' roster. However with a top level recruit committed for 2023, it could be an attractive proposition, if there's a good nucleus to surround them.

Reaction Score
Frankly at mid year you aren't in the portal, you quit. That's not me having sour grapes or saying players don't have their reasons, but that's what a mid year leave the team situation is. A player decided they either didn't want to play or couldn't, so they do something else.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Frankly at mid year you aren't in the portal, you quit. That's not me having sour grapes or saying players don't have their reasons, but that's what a mid year leave the team situation is. A player decided they either didn't want to play or couldn't, so they do something else.
Don't believe that to be correct and the part about "quitting" is a tad harsh. If a player wants to continue playing basketball it is my understanding that they MUST enter into the portal regardless of when that decision is made. It could be midnight, mid year, mid afternoon you still have to go into the portal if you want to continue playing NCAA basketball. Obviously when you enter into the portal has an impact on when you are able to play at your next stop. In this case it appears that Payton will be eligible to play in January of '23 at her next stop.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Maybe it has something to do with the new transfer rules? Isn't the "portal window" system in effect now? If memory is correct, the window runs from Dec 1 - Dec 15 and players would be able to play right away.
I had never heard that a December window was available for players to transfer and play immediately.

When Mir McLean transferred from UConn around this time last year (after having played paltry minutes in 3 games), she had to submit a waiver for immediate eligibility after she landed at Virginia.

My understanding is that the window for automatic immediate eligibility of transfers is in late spring and early summer. But someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stop with the quitting the team. Just because a player puts their name in the portal does not mean they have quit the team. Recall that Evina Westbrook put her name in the portal and continued to practice with the team and give the TN coaches an opportunity to talk her out of leaving. Payton has put her name in the portal but is still considered a Louisville Student athlete. If she chooses to leave Payton will be immediately eligible to play at her next stop and could start playing at her new stop in January of '23. If she chooses to do that the remainder of this season will count as a full year of eligibility.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
No inside knowledge but just guessing this may be a return home to Kansas. So Kansas or Kansas State?
I have no inside knowledge either but Payton would excel at LSU, Texas, or South Carolina working under one of those strong coaches.

Reaction Score
Don't believe that to be correct and the part about "quitting" is a tad harsh. If a player wants to continue playing basketball it is my understanding that they MUST enter into the portal regardless of when that decision is made. It could be midnight, mid year, mid afternoon you still have to go into the portal if you want to continue playing NCAA basketball. Obviously when you enter into the portal has an impact on when you are able to play at your next stop. In this case it appears that Payton will be eligible to play in January of '23 at her next stop.
Quitting is pretty much what it is, and I also said players have their reasons that could be quite valid. I'd say most of us have quit a job before for good reasons. A player could keep playing this year, enter the portal after the season, and still be eligible next season without a waiver or sit out requirement.

Since basketball spans 2 college semesters it is theoretically possible to play immediately in January if they are granted a waiver. This is probably something the NCAA should examine. I stand by that someone who leaves the team mid season is quitting. Quitting doesn't always have a negative connotation to it however my initial post did and I apologize for those who were offended.

Reaction Score
I had never heard that a December window was available for players to transfer and play immediately.

When Mir McLean transferred from UConn around this time last year (after having played paltry minutes in 3 games), she had to submit a waiver for immediate eligibility after she landed at Virginia.

My understanding is that the window for automatic immediate eligibility of transfers is in late spring and early summer. But someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
I too think a waiver is required but perhaps not. Things are all over the place now and it's tough to keep up.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Possibly a Covid year

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Stop with the quitting the team. Just because a player puts their name in the portal does not mean they have quit the team. Recall that Evina Westbrook put her name in the portal and continued to practice with the team and give the TN coaches an opportunity to talk her out of leaving. Payton has put her name in the portal but is still considered a Louisville Student athlete. If she chooses to leave Payton will be immediately eligible to play at her next stop and could start playing at her new stop in January of '23. If she chooses to do that the remainder of this season will count as a full year of eligibility.
Whether you prefer the word "leave" or "quit", the end result is all the same. There are situations like Westbrook or Herbert-Herrigan where they consider returning to their program, this is not one of those cases.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69