2022-23 Transfer portal announcements | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Transfer portal announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Whether you prefer the word "leave" or "quit", the end result is all the same. There are situations like Westbrook or Herbert-Herrigan where they consider returning to their program, this is not one of those. cases though.

I will also add Evina and KHH played their season out. Someone who leaves 8 games in isn't playing their season out. These athletes don't owe us anything though and everyone has to look out for their own situation.

Reaction Score
I think the rule is like if u play less than 30 percent of ur teams games u can redshirt or it doesn't count. I may be 1000 percent wrong on that.

Reaction Score
I had never heard that a December window was available for players to transfer and play immediately.

When Mir McLean transferred from UConn around this time last year (after having played paltry minutes in 3 games), she had to submit a waiver for immediate eligibility after she landed at Virginia.

My understanding is that the window for automatic immediate eligibility of transfers is in late spring and early summer. But someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
1670265183443.png

This is where I recall seeing the portal window being talked about.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
View attachment 81532

This is where I recall seeing the portal window being talked about.
So apparently this is new for the 2022-23 season:

"Spring sports, like basketball, would effectively have a reverse calendar; the first window lasting from Dec. 1-15 and the second being a 45-day window that starts the day after championship selections."

Yikes. So if I understand this correctly, a player could play 40 minutes a game in every game through the second week of December, enter the portal on Dec. 15 and be automatically eligible to play immediately on a different team for the remainder of the season.

SMDH

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Whether you prefer the word "leave" or "quit", the end result is all the same. There are situations like Westbrook or Herbert-Herrigan where they consider returning to their program, this is not one of those cases.

I get it Payton is likely not coming back to Louisville. I still prefer the word transfer or leave and will continue to be irritated by the use of the word "quit" These are 18-20 old young people trying to navigate their way through life in a system where the rules and the power is held mostly by adults that are in some cases 3X their age. Additionally when a non-student athlete decides to pursue academic program at a different university no one refers to that as quitting.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I get it Payton is likely not coming back to Louisville. I still prefer the word transfer or leave and will continue to be irritated by the use of the word "quit" These are 18-20 old young people trying to navigate their way through life in a system where the rules and the power is held mostly by adults that are in some cases 3X their age. Additionally when a non-student athlete decides to pursue academic program at a different university no one refers to that as quitting.
It's different leaving mid year as a non-athlete where it has virtually no impact on anyone else vs. leaving a sports team mid year where it directly impacts the team you were on. Verhulst or any other student athlete is entitled to do as they please, and I have no problem with their decision if they've found a different path that serves them best. I still consider it a quit whether people like the word or not.

Reaction Score

"Spring sports, like basketball, would effectively have a reverse calendar; the first window lasting from Dec. 1-15 and the second being a 45-day window that starts the day after championship selections."

Yikes. So if I understand this correctly, a player could play 40 minutes a game in every game through the second week of December, enter the portal on Dec. 15 and be automatically eligible to play immediately on a different team for the remainder of the season.
Given that a player now has the option to leave during this 2 week period and suit up for someone else in the same season, I will strike my use of the word "quit". That being said it's messed up to me that you can start the season on one team and end up on a different one.

I agree these are still kids who are beholden to rules by adults who are profiting off a system they are a part of. That being said, no one forces them to play a college sport and rightly or wrongly a student athlete agrees to be part of something that benefits both them and the university. That's a different relationship than someone who pays for college out of their pocket.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

SMDH
That seems wild. I wouldn't be surprised to see an explosion of mid year transfers in the coming years with that rule in effect if accurate.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It's different leaving mid year as a non-athlete where it has virtually no impact on anyone else vs. leaving a sports team mid year where it directly impacts the team you were on. Verhulst or any other student athlete is entitled to do as they please, and I have no problem with their decision if they've found a different path that serves them best. I still consider it a quit whether people like the word or not.
When a non-athlete chooses to leave there is an impact to the university. When an adult decides to change jobs there is also an impact to the employer. The impacts of these things are not equal and generally fall under the category of the cost of doing business. It is not as if Louisville cannot replace Payton. To @MSSportsGuy point the new rules makes it easier for Louisville to replace her. Payton also didn't have anything to do with creating this window where she can leave one team and go play for another in mid season.

Reaction Score

SMDH
That's how I've taken it to mean as well. Time will tell if what you're suggesting happens.

SMDH indeed. SMDH indeed.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Verhulst's top 9 in 2019 was UConn, Notre Dame, Oregon, Oregon State, Stanford, Tennessee, Louisville, Missouri, and Arizona State. If she were to revist some of the suitors of this list, Missouri probably makes the most sense. I think it is pretty close to home for her and she likely is also a system fit.

Plebe

Reaction Score
That's how I've taken it to mean as well. Time will tell if what you're suggesting happens.

SMDH indeed. SMDH indeed.
Also, did the NCAA change the seasonal designation of basketball from "winter" to "spring"? I could've sworn they used to call it a winter sport. This NCAA page from last year lists it as a winter sport:

If it's now a spring sport as the CBS article states, then basketball would be unique as the only spring sport that starts its season before January. According to this page, the earliest start of any 2022 spring sport was men's volleyball on January 5:

I could (somewhat) understand a brief portal window soon before the season begins, which would be the case with all other spring sports. But to provide a window a full month after the season has started seems ... weird.

Last edited:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
As an aside, Payton Verhulst's mother, Robin Baker, played at basketball at Duke (not that it helped during recruiting; Duke was eliminated relatively early in the process when Joanne P. McCallie was the head coach).

Plebe

Reaction Score
I think the rule is like if u play less than 30 percent of ur teams games u can redshirt or it doesn't count. I may be 1000 percent wrong on that.
The 30% rule only applies to a medical hardship waiver, which is only for players whose season is ended by injury.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
giphy.gif

The team/school that held UCONN to less than 105pts in the 2021 tournament. Located in the Triad of NC.
Just wanted to throw this out there...

My mother was Miss High Point in 1955. She was a student at Women's College and got caught by a dorm matron crawling through a window past curfew after a date with the man who would be my father and was put on probation. Outside of class, she was not allowed to leave her dormitory except to enter the campus talent contest, which she won and got an entry into the beauty pageant for the title of Miss High Point. She won that too, and represented the city in the Miss North Carolina pageant that year in Morehead City (the celebrity judges were Hopalong Cassidy and Lee Meriweather, who was the reigning Miss America). After that, she modeled for Belk department store for a couple of years; I have a scrapbook with all of her pageant stuff and ads she did, modeling everything from swim suits to evening gowns.

At her funeral in 2009, a woman approached me and my sister and announced that she had been mom's chaperone at the 1955 Miss North Carolina pageant. Indeed, one of the pictures of her at the pageant was mom and an unnamed woman riding around Morehead City in a convertible.

Ok...back to WBB talk.

Reaction Score
Frankly at mid year you aren't in the portal, you quit. That's not me having sour grapes or saying players don't have their reasons, but that's what a mid year leave the team situation is. A player decided they either didn't want to play or couldn't, so they do something else.
LSU had 2 scholarship players leave the team at the very beginning of the season (within the first few weeks) when they found out they likely wouldn't get major minutes or the minutes they wanted.

-Timia Ware (Portal)
-Ryan Payne is about to graduate but said she wanted to focus on academics. I don't think she was particularly pleased when Flaujae started over her but its not even a debate on who is the more talented/more upside. She was the last of Fargas's recruits along with Ware.

I don't blame a player if they want out as they only have so long to play college ball. I guess the timing of some of these transfers is the more frustrating part. To me its more frustrating in that the depth you think you have is no longer there. Coaches may have hit the portal a little differently if they had known better but thats how college hoops works these days unfortunately. You never know who you will or will not have.

Gusters has been long gone from LSU for a while and is likely headed to Oregon pending they get the academic stuff together. Her and Kim have had bad blood since that suspension last December. That relationship has been over since then. She was openly trashing the entire coaching staff since then on her social media. It was incredibly awkward to me. The fact that she never interacted with any of her other team members also sounded off the alarm bells.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
LSU had 2 scholarship players leave the team at the very beginning of the season (within the first few weeks) when they found out they likely wouldn't get major minutes or the minutes they wanted.

-Timia Ware (Portal)
-Ryan Payne is about to graduate but said she wanted to focus on academics. I don't think she was particularly pleased when Flaujae started over her but its not even a debate on who is the more talented/more upside. She was the last of Fargas's recruits along with Ware.

I don't blame a player if they want out as they only have so long to play college ball. I guess the timing of some of these transfers is the more frustrating part. To me its more frustrating in that the depth you think you have is no longer there. Coaches may have hit the portal a little differently if they had known better but thats how college hoops works these days unfortunately. You never know who you will or will not have.

Gusters has been long gone from LSU for a while and is likely headed to Oregon pending they get the academic stuff together. Her and Kim have had bad blood since that suspension last December. That relationship has been over since then. She was openly trashing the entire coaching staff since then on her social media. It was incredibly awkward to me.
Yeah I've been fussing in this thread and shaking my fist at the clouds like most old people do. In reality none of this impacts me at all but I really don't care for how the box has been thrown open.

Student athletes have rights that have frequently been ignored or disregarded. They should be able to change without a coach blocking them no matter what school they want to head towards. However, I firmly believe in having a sit out year unless it's for graduate transfers and certainly if a player leaves after the season begins, they lose that season of eligibility. Just my two cents and it won't change a thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom