2022-23 Transfer portal announcements | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Transfer portal announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So she's UConn level too??
Absolutely! If I haven't said it already I think the world of Payton as a player. She would do extremely well at UCONN if... she had come to UCONN originally. With two top 10 guards coming in next season and another already committed for 2024 I don't think UCONN has room for her now. I think I recall reading that she was/is a high academic caliber student as well. So perhaps Duke, Stanford or Princeton might become options for Payton as well.
Whatever you do Payton just don't end up at ND because then I'm gonna have to reevaluate...as I'm currently doing with Sonia Citron.

Reaction Score
Absolutely! If I haven't said it already I think the world of Payton as a player. She would do extremely well at UCONN if... she had come to UCONN originally. With two top 10 guards coming in next season and another already committed for 2024 I don't think UCONN has room for her now. I think I recall reading that she was/is a high academic caliber student as well. So perhaps Duke, Stanford or Princeton might become options for Payton as well.
Whatever you do Payton just don't end up at ND because then I'm gonna have to reevaluate...as I'm currently doing with Sonia Citron.
UVA is also a “high academic” institution

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UVA is also a “high academic” institution
Agree, but in case you missed it the primary criteria is not the institution but the coach with a track record of developing WBB players.

Reaction Score
Agree, but in case you missed it the primary criteria is not the institution but the coach with a track record of developing WBB players.
If that's the case, Duke with Coach Lawson wouldn't count at this point. Nor would Princeton.

Edit - I took your reply as WNBA players. My comment about Coach Lawson would still apply. Not Coaches Berube as she's coached in the NCAA for much longer.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If that's the case, Duke with Coach Lawson wouldn't count at this point. Nor would Princeton.

Edit - I took your reply as WNBA players. My comment about Coach Lawson would still apply. Not Coaches Berube as she's coached in the NCAA for much longer.
I was thinking along the lines of USA basketball for both Carla Berube and Kara Larson. I know it has been a while (2017?) and many have forgotten but it was Carla that began the shaping process at USA basketball for the three best NCAA WBB players the past 3 season ( Paige ,Caitlin Clark and Aliyah Boston). In addition Azzi Fudd, Diamond Miller, Jordan Horston and Zia Cooke played were shaped early by Carla. Jordan Horston is a particular telling case because she was the MVP of U17 and has not look as good a player since that summer under Carla. Kara time at USA basketball has been more varied acting as and advisor and she has actually won 3 gold medals in 3 X 3 competition.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I've seen Payton play and she is not a WNBA player. I think her comp is Saylor Poffenbarger.
:DOf course she is not a WNBA player,. if she was she would not be eligible to play for Louisville.
Payton has WNBA potential because of demonstrated past performance. In 2019 she was MVP for FIBA Americas U16 on a team that feature Olivia Miles, Lauren Betts, Sonia citron, Kiki Rice. I fully realize that not all the players from that squad will end up in the WNBA and players develop a different rates. The potential was there and probably still is but it is going to take the right coach to bring it out of her. She is a smart young lady and has come to the realization that that coach is not Jeff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
:DOf course she is not a WNBA player,. if she was she would not be eligible to play for Louisville.
Payton has WNBA potential because of demonstrated past performance. In 2019 she was MVP for FIBA Americas U16 on a team that feature Olivia Miles, Lauren Betts, Sonia citron, Kiki Rice. I fully realize that not all the players from that squad will end up in the WNBA and players develop a different rates. The potential was there and probably still is but it is going to take the right coach to bring it out of her. She is a smart young lady and has come to the realization that that coach is not Jeff.
I can live with this. I've seen players leave programs and improved to WNBA level like Kiara Leslie.

Reaction Score
:DI'd also remind you you that Shakira Austin is not only a WNBA player but she is also a World Cup gold medalist.
I think Shakira Austin would have been good at any school in the country regardless of the coaching. She is sort of like Diamond DeShields. Didn't get the greatest coaching in college but is a solid WNBA player. Same goes for Angel Reese. It will be interesting to see where Payton will go and how she'll turn out.

Reaction Score
Posted in the Louisville thread, but Payton Verhulst has started following Oklahoma WBB and some players on Instagram. She also followed Baylor coaches and OK State head coach.

Reaction Score
UConn has tons of injuries this year including two more- Nika Muhl with concussion and Lou Lopez Sanchez with foot injury- suffered last night against Princeton. Those two are probably going to play soon again as will their starting center Dorka Juhacz. Azzi Fudd is out for next month or two- of course, Paige Bueckers and freshman forward Ice Brady are out for the season. So, some room immediately but next year will be tough to get playing time.

Reaction Score
UConn has tons of injuries this year including two more- Nika Muhl with concussion and Lou Lopez Sanchez with foot injury- suffered last night against Princeton. Those two are probably going to play soon again as will their starting center Dorka Juhacz. Azzi Fudd is out for next month or two- of course, Paige Bueckers and freshman forward Ice Brady are out for the season. So, some room immediately but next year will be tough to get playing time.
I don't think the mid-season portal transfers as an option helps Uconn in its current situation. That could provide in theory temporary relief for the second semester, but Uconn's needs are in this semester. It appears that Dorka, Nika, Lou, and Azzi would all be presumably healthy by then.

If a mid-season transfer was good for the long term, pursuing it could make sense as it would be for any traditional recruiting, but it appears walk-ons are the only option for this semester.

Reaction Score
Given that a player now has the option to leave during this 2 week period and suit up for someone else in the same season, I will strike my use of the word "quit". That being said it's messed up to me that you can start the season on one team and end up on a different one.

I agree these are still kids who are beholden to rules by adults who are profiting off a system they are a part of. That being said, no one forces them to play a college sport and rightly or wrongly a student athlete agrees to be part of something that benefits both them and the university. That's a different relationship than someone who pays for college out of their pocket.
Regardless of whether or not they are kids, I am glad there is a way to get out of a toxic or unhealthy environment without penalty and without having to stay a full year. Until these kids are on campus full time, it can be hard to really know what the school/program you chose is really like.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Regardless of whether or not they are kids, I am glad there is a way to get out of a toxic or unhealthy environment without penalty and without having to stay a full year. Until these kids are on campus full time, it can be hard to really know what the school/program you chose is really like.
I agree in theory, but I think there is a benefit to putting a few obstacles in the way of anything - if something is too easy, the first difficulty encountered allows people to 'quit' working at it and look for a 'greener pasture'.

I think some of the problems for teams with transfers is that all obstacles to transfers have been removed and at least some of those who transferred were dreaming of greener pastures and are finding that basketball anywhere at the high D1 level is hard work. With 1000+ transfers last year, I don't believe the 'toxic/unhealthy' environment was the primary reason.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I love your ability to root for two teams as hard as you do.
Thanks! It's only hard when they play on the same night and time. Although this year, I've chosen the stress free(for now) choice when it comes to those games. lol

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

This is interesting. Believe she was Olivia Miles' team mate at Blair Academy.

That tweet has the wrong last name. Her former name is Dominique Darius and she a very good player combo guard and unlike her former Blair Academy teammate Olivia Miles she will defend you all day long. She finished #26 player in her HS class.

Reaction Score
That tweet has the wrong last name. Her former name is Dominique Darius and she a very good player combo guard and unlike her former Blair Academy teammate Olivia Miles she will defend you all day long. She finished #26 player in her HS class.
I thought the last name was wrong. This person isn't exactly the most detailed oriented reporter in my opinion.

Reaction Score
“Onu” is actually her married name. She married Sam Onu, of FGCU Men’s Basketball, sometime last year.

I was referring to CocoHusky's note that her maiden name was Darius, not Davis, which the person listed in their Tweet I posted.

Reaction Score
I was referring to CocoHusky's note that her maiden name was Darius, not Davis, which the person listed in their Tweet I posted.

I seemed to have overlooked the “Davis” part. My apologies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom