Status
Not open for further replies.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Jon Stewart Popcorn GIF

Don’t mind me, I am just here for thé entertainment factor…continue on

Reaction Score
Idk if I should say happy, but I think it's a good idea that Owusu didn't enter the draft. I wish things woulda worked out in VT, even if she didn't play this season. She's exactly what they need next season. I actually don't love the LSU fit. Not that they don't need a point guard but they lose quickness on the perimeter, and I like how Poole played in the combo guard role. Nevertheless there aren't too many places she doesn't fit imo. SC (put a vet alongside Raven), Utah (Pili redemption tour, guard version), North Carolina (need another shot creator beside deja), Louisville (go all in for Hailey Van Lith last year), Ole Miss?, Michigan (get Laila some help).

Reaction Score
Are you referring to the tampering, the waiver for the first transfer or both? With the rules for obtaining a waiver when transferring a second time becoming stricter, I'm thinking it may help to curtail things. Players need to be more thoughtful in where they transfer to the first time because getting a waiver isn't as simple any more.
No other team sport in the world really where everyone is year to year.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Idk if I should say happy, but I think it's a good idea that Owusu didn't enter the draft. I wish things woulda worked out in VT, even if she didn't play this season. She's exactly what they need next season. I actually don't love the LSU fit. Not that they don't need a point guard but they lose quickness on the perimeter, and I like how Poole played in the combo guard role. Nevertheless there aren't too many places she doesn't fit imo. SC (put a vet alongside Raven), Utah (Pili redemption tour, guard version), North Carolina (need another shot creator beside deja), Louisville (go all in for Hailey Van Lith last year), Ole Miss?, Michigan (get Laila some help).
Her at South Carolina is also really intriguing. I'm not sure if Dawn would take a player like her though (history of publicly trashing her coach, hasn't seemed like a team first player which are the type of kids she usually recruits). She's high risk high reward. In 2020-21 she was among the best players in the country and ran an electrifying offense. In 2021-22 she was injured for part of the year and never recaptured the same magic from her sophomore year. This past year she also had injury issues and reportedly wasn't in game shape and looked lost at times on the court. Wherever she goes, she needs to get playing time or there's potential for her to be a detriment to her own team which we saw this past tournament.

If she chooses LSU, I think she'd pair extremely well along side Poole and fill in for Morris. She isn't the shooter Alexis is, nor is she a great defender, but she is excellent at creating her own shot off the dribble. She's an elite bailout player which LSU needs with Morris moving on. She's also a top tier passer and will help get great looks for Reese inside, and athletes like Flaujae/Williams would thrive playing off of her. I hope she gets serious about basketball and has a great final season. She was one of the most fun players to watch in women's basketball and I hope she can get back to that level wherever she ends up.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
8- Parrish - Indiana
11- Pao Pao - Portal
17- Watson - Notre Dame
19- Scherr- Kentucky
22- Dugalic - UCLA

The transfer era is nuts. Getting the top recruiting class used to mean sustained success, especially a 5 player one that covered multiple positions. This class reminds me of the Deshields/Alisha Gray class for UNC that never materialized.

Landing big classes (4-5+ highly ranked kids) almost always leads to multiple transfers. Looking at the last 9 years of #1 classes:
2013: North Carolina: all 4 transferred out
2014: UCLA, only 1 of 5 transferred out
2015: Duke, 3/5 transferred out. Louisville was #2, 3/5 transferred out.
2016: Maryland, 2/6 transferred out
2017: Tennessee, 2/4 transferred out. UCONN was #2, 3/4 transferred out, the 4th went pro after junior year.
2018: Baylor, 2/5 transferred out.
2019: South Carolina. All 5 stayed.
2020: Oregon, 5/5 transferred out
2021: South Carolina, 1/4 transferred out so far

Every year is like free agency now with the portal and extra covid years floating around.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Can Owusu apply for a waiver before deciding on the school she wants to attend? The rationale for the request wouldn't change but the no wait vs a one year wait might matter to her new school. Or would it not matter? (It is the off season.)

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
So how'd he end up a redshirt senior in the men's team if he didn't enroll?
Thanks for the link. I guess I lost track of him as he didn't enroll at Oregon immediately AFTER high school. I stopped paying attention at that point; my mistake. Guess he walked on at Oregon two years later than expected.

BEFORE OREGON
Appeared in 63 games over two seasons at City College of San Francisco ... Averaged 6.0 points per game as a freshman (2016-17) and 9.9 points per outing as a sophomore (2017-18) ... Scored 24 points against Cabrillo. ... Played at Miramonte High School prior to CCSF.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
The plot thickens:

So I now know that players could declare for the WNBA Draft without renouncing their remaining eligibility. I couldn't find anything about that on the WNBA website but saw it posted here on the BY.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Can Owusu apply for a waiver before deciding on the school she wants to attend? The rationale for the request wouldn't change but the no wait vs a one year wait might matter to her new school. Or would it not matter? (It is the off season.)
She already used her one-time transfer exception this past season. So, she would need a waiver or go the grad-transfer route; not sure her area of study, but I'd be surprised if all her coursework credits from Maryland transferred seamlessly to Virginia Tech.

Reaction Score
She already used her one-time transfer exception this past season. So, she would need a waiver or go the grad-transfer route; not sure her area of study, but I'd be surprised if all her coursework credits from Maryland transferred seamlessly to Virginia Tech.
I was going to mention Texas as another potential fit. Replacing Sonia Morris and allowing Shaylee and Rori to play less minutes. I know, defensively she won't be that wing defender or press helper that they need. But she also is another shot creator and a player able to get the ball into the post, to help Gaston and Taylor Jones. Highly doubtful I know.

Reaction Score
And Rogers just worships Angel Reese on twitter. Look for a good deal to be made with LSU soon. Almost too obvious she will land there.
Yup... Actually wouldn't surprise me at this point of Paopao was also asked to tag along while they're at it.

Reaction Score
Wondering if Oregon’s success had more to do with Ionescu and/or Mark Campbell than Kelly Graves.
I hear that the Oregon AD is doing a full thorough review of the program. Could Graves seat be warm soon if anything is internal discontent relating to Graves uncovered? Yes, Mark Campbell was important part of that program like you mentioned.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
So top transfers in the portal right now:
Endiya Rogers
Ashley Owusu
Tehina Pao Pao
Kiki Jefferson
Lexi Donarski
Sedona Prince
Shayeanne Day-Wilson

Any other big names I'm missing?

Reaction Score
Yup... Actually wouldn't surprise me at this point of Paopao was also asked to tag along while they're at it.
Erik Skopil a Oregon blogger in a podcast implied that those two did not get along well. I think Graves picking favorites like Prince and PaoPao over the team as a group did not help in matters. Graves seems to be the common denominator in all of these transfers. At some other places in the country he would have been sent packing or kept on a watchful eye of an AD. If Oregon wants to play with the big girls they have to flush out the program at some point. Graves is not only losing players but he is losing the fan base. They have everything else to be successful.

Reaction Score
So top transfers in the portal right now:
Endiya Rogers
Ashley Owusu
Tehina Pao Pao
Kiki Jefferson
Lexi Donarski
Sedona Prince
Shayeanne Day-Wilson

Any other big names I'm missing?
All depends on needs. However some others referenced are:
K Fauntleroy
J Walker
A Micheaux
T Mair

Reaction Score
Sedona Prince? Top tick tok, social justice warrior all about me first player. I would not wish her on any of your most hated rivals. why would you do that to them?
Yeah it’s a “no” for me regarding S Prince.

Reaction Score
I hear that the Oregon AD is doing a full thorough review of the program. Could Graves seat be warm soon if anything is internal discontent relating to Graves uncovered? Yes, Mark Campbell was important part of that program like you mentioned.
Where have you heard this?

Reaction Score
Just for fun: A list of current portal entrants in order of HG ranking
#7 Ashley Owusu (2019)
#8 Sedona Prince (2018)
#11 Te-Hina Paopao (2020)
#14 Lexi Donarski (2020)
#16 Jakia Brown-Turner (2019)
#20 Destiny Adams (2021)
#21 Paris Clark (2022)
#24 Kyndall Hunter (2021)
#26 Lauren Ware (2020)
#31 Jordyn Merritt (2020)
#33 Shay Bollin (2022)
#38 Zyanna Walker (2022)
#41 Shayeann Day-Wilson (2021)
#51 KK Deans (2019)
#52 Kionna Gaines (2021)*
#52 Gia Cooke (2022)*
#58 Kendall Gillispie (2021)
#60 Mila Reynolds (2022)**
#68 Ari Wiggins (2021)
#71 Lauren Hansen (2019)*
#71 Madison Conner (2021)*
#75 Kennedy Fauntleroy (2022)
#77 Taylen Collins (2020)
#78 Jaylyn Brown (2022)
#85 Lemyah Hilton (2022)
#87 Jada Walker (2021)
#88 Ally Carman (2022)
#93 Amauri Williams (2022)
#96 Demi Washington (2019)
#97 Jamya Mingo-Young (2019)
#98 Teisha Hyman (2019)
#99 Camille Hobby (2019)*
#99 Nyah Wilson (2021)*

*Coach's note to self : DO NOT recruit players ranked #52,#71,#99

** A two-fer as her sister was also committed to Maryland and has since re-opened her recruitment. Amiyah is ranked #43 (2023) and likely they want to attend the same school.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Landing big classes (4-5+ highly ranked kids) almost always leads to multiple transfers. Looking at the last 9 years of #1 classes:
2013: North Carolina: all 4 transferred out
2014: UCLA, only 1 of 5 transferred out
2015: Duke, 3/5 transferred out. Louisville was #2, 3/5 transferred out.
2016: Maryland, 2/6 transferred out
2017: Tennessee, 2/4 transferred out. UCONN was #2, 3/4 transferred out, the 4th went pro after junior year.
2018: Baylor, 2/5 transferred out.
2019: South Carolina. All 5 stayed.
2020: Oregon, 5/5 transferred out
2021: South Carolina, 1/4 transferred out so far

Every year is like free agency now with the portal and extra covid years floating around.
Got to give a lot of credit to Dawn here - one really does sense her players come to grow and be mentored by her, not just to win at all costs. And honestly, the only out-transfer, Saniya Rivers, herself said it was in spite of, not because of, her relationship with Dawn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom