2022-23 Transfer portal announcements | Page 30 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Transfer portal announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
So if @MSSportsGuy didn't include the word "suddenly", then all would be good with the post?
Personally I think every time a player enters the portal, it is "suddenly" because hardly anyone knows about it until Raoul or the player themselves announce it on social media.
I highlighted their entire first sentence; not just the word "suddenly". But, since you asked . . . why "something is up" like stated in that first sentence? Oregon didn't make the NCAA tourney; losing is the most common reason for a transfer if player came to program to win at a higher level. Had they had more success this season her transferring would seem odd (to me).

Reaction Score
Something is up when the starting PG on a pretty good team and one who is well regarded suddenly enters the portal. What does the player want? Is it a championship, NIL money, maybe both?

Pao Pao was given the keys to run a team early on at Oregon and she did very well. This reminds me of Owusu but hopefully doesn't turn out the same way for her.
Probably left b/c they failed to make the NCAA tourney this past season. She probably wants to win now.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I highlighted their entire first sentence; not just the word "suddenly". But, since you asked . . . why "something is up" like stated in that first sentence? Oregon didn't make the NCAA tourney; losing is the most common reason for a transfer if player came to program to win at a higher level. Had they had more success this season her transferring would seem odd (to me).
You put "suddenly" in quotations, so...

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Wondering if Oregon’s success had more to do with Ionescu and/or Mark Campbell than Kelly Graves.
Well, it's been a steady decline since Ionescu moved on. If you think back to Ionescu's recruitment, she wasn't even originally considering Oregon (and seemed to be destined to land at Berkeley) until after her twin brother was offered a preferred walk-on spot with the men's hoops team. He didn't even end up enrolling at Oregon after all was said and done.

Reaction Score
How do we know it was "suddenly"? She could have been planning this move for weeks/months.

Perhaps Oregon not reaching the NCAA tourney this season was a factor. An assistant coach or two left during the 3 seasons while she was there. Perhaps the other defections had an effect on her decisions. Perhaps she wants to play closer to home. Perhaps she will be receiving an undergraduate degree soon and wants to pursue a Masters degree elsewhere.

We might never know her reasons; but, this is her first transfer. She's allowed to do what is best for her (in her eyes).
True, but I tend to think if she were planning this she would have announced it when the portal first opened. You are correct we never know why someone leaves and there are often good reasons but the timing combined with the assistant coaches post makes me wonder if someone got to the player.

Reaction Score
8- Parrish - Indiana
11- Pao Pao - Portal
17- Watson - Notre Dame
19- Scherr- Kentucky
22- Dugalic - UCLA

The transfer era is nuts. Getting the top recruiting class used to mean sustained success, especially a 5 player one that covered multiple positions. This class reminds me of the Deshields/Alisha Gray class for UNC that never materialized.
All are thriving at their new schools too except Dugalic. Guess she’s been injury-prone.

Reaction Score
Probably left b/c they failed to make the NCAA tourney this past season. She probably wants to win now.
Possibly, we will never know. I just think it's weird for a starting senior to leave a team that, while it missed the tournament, wasn't exactly a bad one and has been highly competitive for the past few years.

The reality is only one team can win a NC. There are maybe 5 to 10 program where this could happen. She may wind up at one of those.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
True, but I tend to think if she were planning this she would have announced it when the portal first opened. You are correct we never know why someone leaves and there are often good reasons but the timing combined with the assistant coaches post makes me wonder if someone got to the player.
This assistant coach could be speaking the truth; or, she could be sweating and panicking as these type of impact player defections could end up costing these coaches their jobs if they don't win at a certain level. I don't think these type of social media posts from her will help her land incoming transfers; she showed she will resort to social media to air out her frustrations; it's certainly not like she is standing up for a player, only for her own self-interests.

Reaction Score
I don't think many players enter the portal without putting out feelers. If I wanted to test the waters I'm sure I would contact a friend on a team I was interested in to see if they had interest. It is somewhat shady but pretty sure thats how most transfers work. I can also see it working the other way where a coach says hey check with your friend playing for ??? and see if they are happy. Of course when a coach initiates it, it seems much worse, but there is probably hardly any way to monitor it.

Reaction Score
So, when the staff say that other teams are in contact with their players, do we think they are just lying about it? Sour grapes for losing players to the portal?

If they're accurately reporting what's going on, are folks okay with that?

Not trolling - genuinely curious what people think.

Reaction Score
More to this Paopao story than meets the eye. The seven game losing streak killed Oregon’s season. All single digit losses but Paopao had disappeared. Something was going on in her life that may or may not have been basketball related. This is a summary from the Oregonian:

“Paopao shot a career-high 44% from the field, including 42.4% from three-point range, and 88% from the free throw line, but took a circuitous path to getting to those marks.
She averaged 12.7 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3.6 assists through the first 20 games, followed by the worst six-game stretch of her career (4.3 ppg., 2.8 rpg., 2.0 apg) while shooting just 16.7% from the field and 10.5% from three.
Paopao closed the season with six 20-point performances in the final nine games, averaging 19.7 points, while shooting 56.7% from the field, including 58.9% from long range.”

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
So, when the staff say that other teams are in contact with their players, do we think they are just lying about it? Sour grapes for losing players to the portal?

If they're accurately reporting what's going on, are folks okay with that?

Not trolling - genuinely curious what people think.
My guess is that if tampering (as defined by the NCAA) is occurring, the coaches affected would report the coaches they believe tampered with their players who were not yet officially in the transfer portal. If they don't have actual proof, then they won't bother. Making these accusations out on social media may have some validity, but no one is directly naming names.

However, if non-coaches reach out (as someone above posted the term "feelers") to a player on a different team, that's not considered tampering based on my understanding; others can do this, but actual coaches could/should not. But, coaches can start "following" players on social media prior to them entering the transfer portal; there's just no way for the NCAA to monitor that, IMO.

And, I don't believe it's a violation for coaches to contact the family or inner circle (former high school and club coaches) of a player who has not entered the transfer portal. It might be considered unethical by some, but not a violation.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Not sure if that was possible as Oregon was still playing in WNIT. Don't take her as a player who would enter portal before post-season play for her team was over.

Reaction Score
Not sure if that was possible as Oregon was still playing in WNIT. Don't take her as a player who would enter portal before post-season play for her team was over.
Point taken. I’ll strike my use of “suddenly” given that I forgot they advanced in the NIT.

But how often did we see rising senior starters decide to transfer before players didn’t have to sit out a year? Granted she could play 2 more seasons but these are the transfers I don’t understand.

Reaction Score
Point taken. I’ll strike my use of “suddenly” given that I forgot they advanced in the NIT.

But how often did we see rising senior starters decide to transfer before players didn’t have to sit out a year? Granted she could play 2 more seasons but these are the transfers I don’t understand.

Great question and I wish I had an answer. I think the bigger question is what's happening in Oregon as a whole. They seem to lose players to the portal at a higher rate than the Ionescu era.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Nared gonna wish she'd bit her tongue instead of throwing stones out on social media:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom