2022-23 Transfer portal announcements | Page 31 | The Boneyard

2022-23 Transfer portal announcements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Great question and I wish I had an answer. I think the bigger question is what's happening in Oregon as a whole. They seem to lose players to the portal at a higher rate than the Ionescu era.

Portal is just murdering teams trying to build or that are stalled.

Almost like a version of player relegation

Reaction Score
Nared gonna wish she'd bit her tongue instead of throwing stones out on social media:

The NCAA is only place with no control over player movement and I don't think that is a positive for the sport to be honest.

I guess if come out on top in the portal it's great.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The NCAA has really never figured out a social media plan/regulation, so while they police phone calls with rigidity, they aren't anywhere with social media interactions it seems.

Boosters are a defined universe for the NCAA and includes fans of a specific team, and their conduct is subject to controls in HS recruiting, though I am not sure how well that gets defined re 'tampering'. Coaches contacting family of a player on scholarship to another school would I believe constitute 'tampering', but having conversations with HS/AAU coaches is standard practice and could contain enough subtlety to escape direct accusation while getting a clear message into the pipeline.

WCBB is still a pretty small community and players have lots of interactions across teams and conferences. A lot of information is flowing around the internet that is outside anyone's purview.

I do think we are seeing an alarming trend of mid-major stars being mined by top dogs in the sport whether that is instituted by players or coaches. The other side is that the bench on a top dog school may be headed in the opposite direction bringing some more talent to those mid majors.

And I wonder about how currently signed commits arrive in a few months feel about something like the BC C/F arriving on top of them at UNC, effectively cutting their prospective minutes in half? Do we expect some transfers next year?

Reaction Score
The NCAA is only place with no control over player movement and I don't think that is a positive for the sport to be honest.

I guess if come out on top in the portal it's great.
Are you referring to the tampering, the waiver for the first transfer or both? With the rules for obtaining a waiver when transferring a second time becoming stricter, I'm thinking it may help to curtail things. Players need to be more thoughtful in where they transfer to the first time because getting a waiver isn't as simple any more.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
While it's obviously early in the process, I see players and/or coaches from USC, Arizona, and Texas following Paopao on Instagram

Reaction Score
Well, it's been a steady decline since Ionescu moved on. If you think back to Ionescu's recruitment, she wasn't even originally considering Oregon (and seemed to be destined to land at Berkeley) until after her twin brother was offered a preferred walk-on spot with the men's hoops team. He didn't even end up enrolling at Oregon after all was said and done.

So how'd he end up a redshirt senior in the men's team if he didn't enroll?

Reaction Score
Paopao is close with Cunningham, who is Tucson bound. Sedona Prince is in the portal, but she seems to be (allegedly) dating a UA player?…so many connections from former Duck players, and UA players…

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

20220304_123445.jpg

What a depressing week it's been so far

Reaction Score
Is anyone aware if UCONN is showing interest in any peculiar student in the pool?

Reaction Score
I think it's much more likely Owusu is LSU bound than Paopao. Maybe Stanford will make an exception in her case lol .

As for Oregon and others who are losing players - as I have said before it's one thing to assemble a bunch of great players whether through recruiting freshmen or the transfer portal - and it's entirely another thing to meld those players into a "team". Mulkey is good at it as is Frese to name a couple.

Reaction Score
I think it's much more likely Owusu is LSU bound than Paopao. Maybe Stanford will make an exception in her case lol .
I can see Owusu at LSU mostly because of Reese plus LSU's PG spot is wide open at this point. I don't know the entire Owusu/VT story but Kim has a history of working well with transfers who had issues at other schools.

Paopao seems like a PAC 12 kind of girl... Maybe I'm wrong but it feels like she will likely stay in that region.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom