2020 Recruiting Thread

-
I dropped this into the main board but figured I'd drop it here for future search ease.

Translation is kinda rough: Phoenix star quarterback Jonathan Sénécal wounded against Limoilou

>>The start of the college football season is tarnished by an injury to his best player. Star quarterback Jonathan Sénécal tore a left knee ligament on Saturday afternoon at Charlesbourg Campus Cégep Limoilou.

In the overwhelming defeat of the Titans of Limoilou 44-3 at the expense of the Phénix d'André-Grasset, defending champion of the Bol d'Or first division collegiate largely thanks to Sénécal, it is especially the exit of the field of the number 12 Phoenix supported by two teammates that caught the eye.

"We are happy with the win, but we are sad for the youngster. It's a bitter victory, "summed Grasset head coach Tony Iadeluca after the match. "He told me," Coach, I've never been hurt in my life! I had to get to the first game ... "I told him not to think about that." "For the moment, we know that it is the knee and the ligament, but which one and to what degree? We can not answer, "continues Iadeluca. "But we will have to make adjustments in offensive. When you lose a quarterback like Jo Sénécal, you have to survive while waiting for his return. "

Already promised at the University of Connecticut in the US University Division (NCAA) next year, Sénécal is playing his third and final campaign in the ranks of Quebec's college students.

"Connecticut did not offer to enter this year and wanted him to finish his CEGEP. And Jonathan is a big competitor: he wanted to finish big and break records. But here, we will especially hope that he can return to the game as soon as possible, "says the coach.

Player of the circuit last year in his second year alone, Sénécal already holds the league record for touchdown passes. He had time to record his 59th Saturday, before getting injured. With 91 yards of win against Limoilou, he also came close to 310 yards through the 6286 mark pass set by Hugo Richard (2011-13, Vanier). Richard then played for five years with Laval University's Rouge et Or.

"It's flat to see a guy like that hurt himself. We do not want that to anyone and we saw it by the reaction of the guys on our bench, "commented on his side head coach Titans, Dave Parent.<<

Background thread: https://the-boneyard.com/threads/2020-uconn-commit-3-jonathan-sénécal-montreal-canada.144370/

It’s funny how quick some here can go negative
If you're referring to my comment, it was a considered remark based on some past losses of commits magnified by the uncertainty created by going independent after he committed. Plus, the Kool-Aid container in our refrigerator went dry this past year while I was reading about Kofi and Precious. :rolleyes:

Cross your fingers hard ... until they cramp up. 2 things we should be used to: 1) Florida kids are a different culture & mindset. They have constant constant recruiting. They listen - regardless of what HCRE says about the sanctity of Commitment. If they have a good solid self reliance - like Matt Drayton - they yearn to grab some of what our campus offers; and 2) Kids rising in rankings & newspaper ink will get approached. It’s gonna happen. And you will lose some. More times than not ( like a 4:1 ratio) both categories stay the course.

Looking at the recruiting ratings we should have a decent class. What I can't figure is rivals has 1 3 star and 8 2 stars while ESPN has 7 and 2 and24/7 who is late in rating the future has 9 3 stars. How can rivals be so low?

Looking at the recruiting ratings we should have a decent class. What I can't figure is rivals has 1 3 star and 8 2 stars while ESPN has 7 and 2 and24/7 who is late in rating the future has 9 3 stars. How can rivals be so low?
Quick answer: Mike Farrell = Rivals.. nuff said...

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy

Rivals doesn't look at UConn recruits unless they have been offered by a Power Five conference. Just the way it is or you have a large paying customer base, which we don't

Tyree Saunders decommitted from USF. Interesting to me Edsall started following him on Twitter well after he committed to USF. Don’t think he would have done that unless he knew Saunders was very likely to be coming back on the market. Saunders junior tape is strong, real playmaker.

Saunders is a Jacksonville kid - home of Matt Drayton and the FL place Randy and Corey seem to put a lot of effort into.
Jacksonville is his FL turf.

>>Collin McCarthy, Jackson Memorial, DL, senior: Never heard of Collin McCarthy? You will. At a smidgen below 6-foot-6, attempting to pass in his direction is like throwing over a skyscraper. At 235 pounds -- up 30 from last season -- with an 80-inch wingspan, McCarthy will be able to out-leverage even the finest offensive linemen. Add in speed -- last year against Wall he blocked a punt and outran everyone for a TD that was called back -- and McCarthy has the potential to be one of New Jersey’s most-imposing defensive lineman in 2019. While he played predominately defensive end last year, opponents will need a GPS chip to keep track of him this fall. Jackson Memorial head coach Vin Mistretta said McCarthy, a UConn commit, will play every spot on the defensive line and create nightmarish mismatches. It will also make it more difficult for McCarthy to be double-teamed. Last season, McCarthy had 91 total tackles -- 46 for loss with 11 sacks. His goal for this season is to improve upon those totals.<<

While we’re @ it: Ready to Rise: 2019 Jackson Memorial Football Preview

>>...If McCarthy stood still in a park, pigeons would make him a permanent landing spot. This dude is chiseled like a granite statue but there’s nothing remotely stationary about his rate of activity on the gridiron. McCarthy finished the ‘18 season at 6-6, 205 pounds but checks in for his senior year at 6-7, 240 and with a commitment to UConn in the back pocket. Strong and imposing off the edge, it’s crazy to think but he is more than capable of exceding the impact he made a year ago when he counted a whopping 43 tackles for loss and a Shore Conference-leading 11 sacks among his 83 stops, earning First Team All-Shore for the production..

“He impresses me more and more everyday. UConn got a really good treasure,” said Jackson Memorial head coach Vin Mistretta. “He does everything right. If we blow a gap responsibility, he’s still taking up three gaps. He’s the cornerstone of the defense.”<<

Exit 4

This space for rent
Jalen Madison had a nice tape last year at Brunswick playing RB. Seems to be genuinely interested in UConn. Maybe we offer after we see some senior tape.

Robert Lewis Jr is a 5-11 175lb WR from Newton High School in Covington Georgia. Other offers Akron, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Kentucky, Louisville, Minnesota, Rutgers, Syracuse, Tennessee, Troy, VaTech and WMU.

Highlights

UConn had originally offered Lewis back mid-May and followed it up w/ official offer in August. Big to get a kid w/ that offer list on campus.