2020 Recruiting: Jacob Toppin | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Jacob Toppin

Reaction Score
My point bringing up Wagner(sarcasm) was that UConn doesn't have to have interest in every player that played at Hurley coached school. Besides, Hurley recruited Martin. What makes everyone think Hurley even has interest in Toppin? Because of his last name? Because he played at URI? If he played at LaSalle or St. Joe's, all else being the same, would people on here really react the same?
Hurley might not have interest and make this all moot. But to answer the question, yes I'd have interest him wherever he was coming from. All the advanced numbers have him as a similar level player to Adams, Carlton, Gilbert, and shockingly Tyrese Martin.

Reaction Score
lol, end of story. You're all over the place and if I had to guess you've never seen him play. Tyrese Martin was ranked 220 coming out of high school and you're thrilled about him.
Yes, you got me, I have this opinion totally blind. Dude, you are the one making this about rankings. I can care less about it. Martin has enough of a sample set to show he can make the jump and he has the strength and athleticism that will translate. Your biggest argument for Toppin is his last name and older brothers achievement. Or, all that tape you have on him.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
What are some other schools we should refuse to recruit talented players from?
You're asking the wrong person.

I pointed out that we HAVE signed a URI guy, so the assertion that it's beneath us makes no sense.

I pointed out that that someone said "no more," which differs from "no."

I added a bunch of schools that added guys from lesser conferences, which bolsters the argument in favor not being against.

I have no opinion about Toppin, so I offered none.

By silence in response I declined to speculate why someone other than me said "no more," other than a different someone other than me suggesting that it could imply nothing other than "beneath us."

I have answered or agreed to any schools that are beneath us, so I have no basis for adding any "other" schools.

I think that covers every angle, other than offering a goofy 'game show guess" answer to the last question that I was asked by, again, somebody else.

What prompted you to inquire of me?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Genuine, not a snarky question: what makes people think he is high potential other than his last name? I haven't seen enough to know. My hesitation is only going by the numbers.

right now I’m a pass but he was much better than Martin as a frosh (1.8 bpm to .8). He also made the jump from hs to the longer 3pt line. With a season and summer for adjustments he could become a better shooter and thus a more useful player. He was also close to a block and a steal per 40, a big help for his analytics.

that being said, I’m a pass right now. But try me again in June/July. This would be the right sit one, Play 3 type. But right now I’m still looking for a Horne type if they’re out there...or his ironically named teammate

the Q

Reaction Score
You're asking the wrong person.

I pointed out that we HAVE signed a URI guy, so the assertion that it's beneath us makes no sense.

I pointed out that that someone said "no more," which differs from "no."

I added a bunch of schools that added guys from lesser conferences, which bolsters the argument in favor not being against.

I have no opinion about Toppin, so I offered none.

By silence in response I declined to speculate why someone other than me said "no more," other than a different someone other than me suggesting that it could imply nothing other than "beneath us."

I have answered or agreed to any schools that are beneath us, so I have no basis for adding any "other" schools.

I think that covers every angle, other than offering a goofy 'game show guess" answer to the last question that I was asked by, again, somebody else.

What prompted you to inquire of me?

I don’t disagree with your premise, but how many of them are rising true sophs?

Reaction Score
Yes, you got me, I have this opinion totally blind. Dude, you are the one making this about rankings. I can care less about it. Martin has enough of a sample set to show he can make the jump and he has the strength and athleticism that will translate. Your biggest argument for Toppin is his last name and older brothers achievement. Or, all that tape you have on him.
Jacob Toppin was a two star in high school who had limited impact as a freshman. What makes you think that he could jump levels and be a value add at a school vying to be at the top of the Big East?

Reaction Score
This would be a great get. Guy needed more PT....figure he's 3 or 4 years younger than Obi.
Saw him play a lot, did a nice job as a freshman, great attitude and he can absolutely jump out of the gym...

Reaction Score
i'd take him based on the name association alone. Obi would get mentioned every time Jacob entered the game for the next 3 years. that's where I'm at after reading the Etienne thread today.

Last edited:

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I don’t disagree with your premise, but how many of them are rising true sophs?
What "premise" are you referring to?
Who or what constitutes "them?"
I have no idea what you mean.

This is even more puzzling than what @CallMeBruce wrote.

the Q

Reaction Score
What "premise" are you referring to?
Who or what constitutes "them?"
I have no idea what you mean.

This is even more puzzling than what @CallMeBruce wrote.

your list of kids who were (apparently) under recruited going from small to bigger schools.

Many of them are upperclassmen. I’m unsure how many would be true sophs like toppin.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
your list of kids who were (apparently) under recruited going from small to bigger schools.

Many of them are upperclassmen. I’m unsure how many would be true sophs like toppin.
Now I think I understand. Yes, I mixed in grad transfers, in expanding the notion of guys moving up a category. It wasn't necessary. If that muddied things, my apologies.

I truly have neither knowledge or opinion about Toppin.

My simple (and yet missed) point was that someone said "no more URI" and got push back as though he'd said "no URI."

Reaction Score
URI and UMass are in the same league
BAB09DE6-CB95-43DF-B805-9E8B870DBFB0.gif

Reaction Score
Has anyone suggested what his strengths are?

Great attitude, hops like no one on the team currently....good shot mechanics that just needed more game time. Toppin genes. Was at a URI game where he got faked out under the basket, jumped too soon, and the guy laid it in, but he was up so high, the crowd was a-buzz and it didn't even matter....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Hurley might not have interest and make this all moot. But to answer the question, yes I'd have interest him wherever he was coming from. All the advanced numbers have him as a similar level player to Adams, Carlton, Gilbert, and shockingly Tyrese Martin.
No offense to Adams, Carlton, (or AG), but they are not the type of players that are going to get us back to elite level of basketball. We need keep adding major talent, not marginal bench depth.

Reaction Score
I’m all for taking this kid if:

1) We miss on Sanogo and Nolley and
2) The transfer rule passes

I don’t want to use a scholarship on a sit out year for him, and would not want to take him until we know we’re out on the other two guys.

Reaction Score
No offense to Adams, Carlton, (or AG), but they are not the type of players that are going to get us back to elite level of basketball. We need keep adding major talent, not marginal bench depth.
Of course not. But if you can lock in the depth guys early it allows you to chase program changing talent and go hard after them from day 1 the next 2 years. But again, I have no idea if that's Toppin or some other guy Hurley chooses to pursue

Reaction Score
Of course not. But if you can lock in the depth guys early it allows you to chase program changing talent and go hard after them from day 1 the next 2 years. But again, I have no idea if that's Toppin or some other guy Hurley chooses to pursue
The last thing we need is to take a flyer on some kid who could barely crack 12mpg in feb/march because of his last name. We have to start landing our top targets if we want to be at the top of the big east. If we want to be like Villanova, we need more bouknights and jacksons. I trust Hurley to develop players but at some point we need to get “sure things” type of guys

Reaction Score
The last thing we need is to take a flyer on some kid who could barely crack 12mpg in feb/march because of his last name. We have to start landing our top targets if we want to be at the top of the big east. If we want to be like Villanova, we need more bouknights and jacksons. I trust Hurley to develop players but at some point we need to get “sure things” type of guys
Yeah that's fair, obviously I want all the top guys. I'm just being realistic with who's out there for the last scholarship, there's basically no top guys we're connected to right now

Reaction Score
Yeah that's fair, obviously I want all the top guys. I'm just being realistic with who's out there for the last scholarship, there's basically no top guys we're connected to right now
I’d rather us burn the scholarship this year and start looking at a monster 2021 class than waste it on a kid who likely will end up being a role player and taking up a scholly for 3 seasons...not worth the risk at all IMO

Reaction Score

The AG we had the last 8-9 games coming off the bench most definitely would’ve helped us in our first year in the Big East. It’s ok we’ve moved on but I would’ve liked to have him just in case.

Reaction Score
I’d rather us burn the scholarship this year and start looking at a monster 2021 class than waste it on a kid who likely will end up being a role player and taking up a scholly for 3 seasons...not worth the risk at all IMO

We're going to have at least 3 and almost certainly 4 open roster spots after this season. There is plenty of room to add top-level talent. If we can't add Sanogo or Etienne or someone of similar caliber, adding Toppin is a smart move. That's a solid player you don't have to find next year.

Reaction Score
on a coincidental note, if we land toppin, we would have the younger brothers of two of the last three A-10 player of the years (Jaylen Adams and Obi Toppin)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom