2020 Recruiting: Jacob Toppin | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Jacob Toppin

Reaction Score
URI was the #65 KenPom team, Wagner was the #329 KenPom team last year. I know which team I'd like to take the top players from
Jacob Toppin was a two star in high school who had limited impact as a freshman. What makes you think that he could jump levels and be a value add at a school vying to be at the top of the Big East?

Reaction Score
Players who happen to play for URI can't constitute a talent upgrade?

Good lord.
I didn't say that. I loved the Martin transfer. UConn should be targeting URIs top player, not any player. Toppin is not an upgrade anywhere.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I see him being more of a power forward.

He's pretty slight. I think it'll be hard for him to add enough weight to ever really be a PF.

Definitely not his game right now.

Reaction Score
Jacob Toppin was a two star in high school who had limited impact as a freshman. What makes you think that he could jump levels and be a value add at a school vying to be at the top of the Big East?
Because the idea he had limited impact as a freshman is not accurate. I don't even say that as someone who wants him, but the idea he's not good enough for UConn is not accurate

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
One thing that does give me pause is that he’s a stretch 4 and Hurley has mentioned in the past that he’s a big believer in pedigree, bloodlines. Dayton is in the same conference as URI so he can’t transfer there. Kid has some serious upside, he looks the part.

Reaction Score
Because the idea he had limited impact as a freshman is not accurate. I don't even say that as someone who wants him, but the idea he's not good enough for UConn is not accurate
Depends on how you envision UConn's return to the Big East, I suppose. If we are a top 3 team, this is a major reach at best.

Reaction Score
One thing that does give me pause is that he’s a stretch 4 and Hurley has mentioned in the past that he’s a big believer in pedigree, bloodlines. Dayton is in the same conference as URI so he can’t transfer there. Kid has some serious upside, he looks the part.

You keep saying this. I'm pretty sure you are wildly off the mark. Hurley believes is talent and character. Who cares who his dad is? Are we breeding the players now? The references to "bloodlines" are super weird

Reaction Score
Depends on how you envision UConn's return to the Big East, I suppose. If we are a top 3 team, this is a major reach at best.
I think we're a top 3 team by the 21-22 season. What I don't expect is to have 13 top 50 players and high 4* and 5* recruits

Reaction Score
Unranked recruits in the Toppin family tend to have decent track records of taking leaps after their freshman years...

Obi Toppin, Mt. Zion Prep , Power Forward

Obi Toppin was also two years removed from high school before he ever stepped foot on the floor for Dayton. He did a year at Mt. Zion for prep school and then redshirted his first year at Dayton. He was essentially a junior age wise by the time he played for Dayton so it's not fair to compare him to his younger brother.

Reaction Score
I think we're a top 3 team by the 21-22 season. What I don't expect is to have 13 top 50 players and high 4* and 5* recruits
Just wondering, how can we have 13 top 50 players by 2021-22. ? By all accounts, especially with Bouk leaving, we will need more talent, not less.

Reaction Score
lol. Obi Toppin didn't originally get a single D1 offer, he's now the best player in the country.

Reaction Score
lol. Obi Toppin didn't originally get a single D1 offer, he's now the best player in the country.
And that happens so frequently. And it especially means we should expect the same from his younger brother.

Reaction Score
Just wondering, how can we have 13 top 50 players by 2021-22. ? By all accounts, especially with Bouk leaving, we will need more talent, not less.
Bouknight wasn't a top 50 player, Jackson isn't a top 50 player. They'll both be doing things in the NBA.

Reaction Score
Add Yale, Harvard, Rider, Western Michigan, Rice, and more for the first half of your equation.

But with Martin already signed, "No more URI..." is not the same as "No URI..," or consistent with an interpretation that URI has been suggested as beneath us.

What are some other schools we should refuse to recruit talented players from?

Reaction Score
Bouknight wasn't a top 50 player, Jackson isn't a top 50 player. They'll both be doing things in the NBA.
Navery said top 50, not me. I said we still need an upgrade in talent. Hurley seems to be on his way to this. Toppin is not that. End of story.

Reaction Score
Genuine, not a snarky question: what makes people think he is high potential other than his last name? I haven't seen enough to know. My hesitation is only going by the numbers.

Reaction Score
You're missing my point, I said we we *won't* have 13 top 50 players. I want talented players that fit Hurley's system and I think he'd be a useful player for us. If you don't agree that's fine but people are going to be snarky when you start a conversation by comparing him to a Wagner player

Reaction Score
You're missing my point, I said we we *won't* have 13 top 50 players. I want talented players that fit Hurley's system and I think he'd be a useful player for us. If you don't agree that's fine but people are going to be snarky when you start a conversation by comparing him to a Wagner player
some People just want the guys with the star rating....especially now whoever hurley thinks he can develop is the right kid for the program

Reaction Score
Genuine, not a snarky question: what makes people think he is high potential other than his last name? I haven't seen enough to know. My hesitation is only going by the numbers.

Reaction Score
My point bringing up Wagner(sarcasm) was that UConn doesn't have to have interest in every player that played at Hurley coached school. Besides, Hurley recruited Martin. What makes everyone think Hurley even has interest in Toppin? Because of his last name? Because he played at URI? If he played at LaSalle or St. Joe's, all else being the same, would people on here really react the same?

Reaction Score
Navery said top 50, not me. I said we still need an upgrade in talent. Hurley seems to be on his way to this. Toppin is not that. End of story.
lol, end of story. You're all over the place and if I had to guess you've never seen him play. Tyrese Martin was ranked 220 coming out of high school and you're thrilled about him.

Reaction Score
Have a friend who’s a big booster at URI and went to a December game at RC, went to pregame talk w Cox, sat courtside for the game w other big boosters. Besides Fatts, Toppin was what everyone was talking about, before, during and after the game. I could see why even with limited minutes on the court. They said he grew 3 inches from HS to 6’7” and they got a steal. Read the URI board-everyone there is very upset about losing him and said he didn’t play enough. Let’s just see where he lands, what he does, before saying stupid things about him not being good enough. Let the coaches decide who is “ good enough”.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom