2020 Recruiting: Jacob Toppin | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Jacob Toppin

Reaction Score
I’d rather us burn the scholarship this year and start looking at a monster 2021 class than waste it on a kid who likely will end up being a role player and taking up a scholly for 3 seasons...not worth the risk at all IMO
Yeah I have no idea if the right call is Toppin or some other role player but we're looking at 4 or 5 open scholarships for 2021. Taking the role player and having to fill 4 spots should leave plenty of room for a monster class

Reaction Score

of note, this is based on data from the 50 players who transferred from mid major to high and was immediately eligible.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

of note, this is based on data from the 50 players who transferred from mid major to high and was immediately eligible.

It’s still a good reminder to not get too hyped up. It’s still a good path for depth. But it’s not likely a season saving move.

Even I got too hyped for Bruner since the hole at the 4 is big right now.

Reaction Score

That was an interesting article. There really is a huge difference in the level of play between conferences.

In terms of our team, there is some reason for optimism. I don't want to get into an RJ Cole debate in this thread, but there are two positive factors with him. One, he was only a sophomore, meaning he should have more room for growth than a grad transfer. Two, he had a year to practice with the team and learn our system. And for all of his offensive shortcomings, Alterique was a tough on-ball defender. Hopefully that made Cole better. He doesn't need to be an All-Big East player to make us a better team whenever college basketball resumes.

As for Martin and Toppin, there is no doubt that the A-10 is below the Big East and even the AAC. Still, it's better than many of the conferences the players in that article transferred from.

I agree that transfers from mid-majors shouldn't be seen as saviors. That doesn't mean they can't be useful pieces, though.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
That was an interesting article. There really is a huge difference in the level of play between conferences.

In terms of our team, there is some reason for optimism. I don't want to get into an RJ Cole debate in this thread, but there are two positive factors with him. One, he was only a sophomore, meaning he should have more room for growth than a grad transfer. Two, he had a year to practice with the team and learn our system. And for all of his offensive shortcomings, Alterique was a tough on-ball defender. Hopefully that made Cole better. He doesn't need to be an All-Big East player to make us a better team whenever college basketball resumes.

As for Martin and Toppin, there is no doubt that the A-10 is below the Big East and even the AAC. Still, it's better than many of the conferences the players in that article transferred from.

I agree that transfers from mid-majors shouldn't be seen as saviors. That doesn't mean they can't be useful pieces, though.

Toppin would definitely benefit as a sit.

The question is if we are in position to take a sit right now with such a need on the roster

Reaction Score
On bad teams or even solid teams at a lower level, there’s still a lot of possessions available. That doesn’t change. So someone has to score, someone has to get rebounds, someone is going to get fouled and sent to the line...and if that player is getting numbers he’s probably going to stay in the game when he’s not playing well and making mistakes. It’s easy to play when you aren’t worried about who’s waiting at the scorer’s table.
Despite this, there are guys who get overlooked, who improve drastically when they are 18 and 19 and can make the jump in competition and still put up numbers.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Shonn Miller was from Cornell and was a very good player for us . Not sure what your point is here.
if it has to be explained then it is way above your pay level

Reaction Score
Impressive list for a player who wasn’t good enough for us to recruit according to some.

He seemed like a reasonable Plan D (after Nolley, Sanigo, Mac), if he wouldn’t have had to sit out a year. Of course, sitting out a year at a good program might be good for his development.
But he went to URI. Are we just gonna recruit every single kid who went to URI, Wagner, and St. Benedict's?

Reaction Score
This board remains the best at evaluating talent.
And I am sure after watching him play your first thought was damn, what’s he doing at uri? He should be at Kentucky!

Reaction Score
so what's plan E? asking for a friend.
I haven’t given up on Nolley, Sango, or Mac. El-Amin wouldn’t be the worst option, either. We lad just have to play small.

Honestly, as much as I was hoping for another impact player, I think our team is a tournament team as it is. If Martin can play, then I feel really good. So even if we only had a bench player or even a project, I’ll be happy with the roster.

Reaction Score
I suspect we see another big wave at the end of May if/when the transfer rule passes and more options are out there
I think that if there is no combine, a bunch of players who declared for the draft might decide to return to school. Some of them might enter the transfer portal, although I wouldn't expect too much of that. However, players who realized they are farther down the depth chart because of returning players might explore other options. Between that and the potential transfer rule change, I think other options will emerge.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom