2020 Recruiting: Jacob Toppin | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Jacob Toppin

Reaction Score
A URI fan, old friend, told me Toppin was going to be good but even he's surprised the offers he received.

I looked at his stats and per 40 minutes his points and rebounds are almost exactly the same as Martin's were his freshman year. His field goal and 3 Pt percentages were lower but his FT % is higher.

Maybe the long season or level of competition had an effect, but over his last ten games his stats fell off:

For the year he averaged 18.5 minutes per game while shooting 42.6% on FG's, 24.5% on 3's and 64.4% FT's.
Last 10 games: 16.6 min per game, while shooting 37.5% on FG's, 17.6% on 3's and 73.9% on FT's.
First 20 games: 19.5 min per game, while shooting 44.9% on FG's, 27.8% on 3's and 54.5% on FT's.

Reaction Score
As someone who has been on the Boneyard thru multiple iterations there are some posters here that are a joke. We all know who they are. As I said earlier, let’s see who recruits Toppin and how his career develops. As a lifelong (1964) UConn fan, I’ve seen a lot of players and this kid has potential. The fact that he played limited minutes as a Fr at URI is no reason to say he’s not good enough for UConn. Maybe not a fit is another thing.
Yes, we are all UConn fans. Obviously, I am confident in my own opinions as well. This isn't the first time I disagree with the majority and I am ok with that. I find it funny that this time includes a player who averaged 5 pts at URI and UConn never publicly showed interest in. Time will tell who is right and who is wrong. There are too many variables in play here to claim victory simply because he signed with Kentucky. On the surface, that makes as little sense as this boards infatuation with Jacob. Stay safe UConnLen.

Reaction Score
Yes, we are all UConn fans. Obviously, I am confident in my own opinions as well. This isn't the first time I disagree with the majority and I am ok with that. I find it funny that this time includes a player who averaged 5 pts at URI and UConn never publicly showed interest in. Time will tell who is right and who is wrong. There are too many variables in play here to claim victory simply because he signed with Kentucky. On the surface, that makes as little sense as this boards infatuation with Jacob. Stay safe UConnLen.
I think people wouldn’t give you such a hard time if u would at least admit. Wow going to Kentucky is pretty good maybe he will turn out to be better than I thought. Instead your doubling and tripling down on your previous takes

Reaction Score
I think people wouldn’t give you such a hard time if u would at least admit. Wow going to Kentucky is pretty good maybe he will turn out to be better than I thought. Instead your doubling and tripling down on your previous takes
I refuse to admit what I don't believe to be true. First, his list was suspicious from the start. Whenever you see a final three that includes all Nike schools, especially Oregon and Kentucky for a player with his resume, its a major red flag. I firmly believe this is a "favor" as shoe companies try and lure his brother, who is a human highlight film and a shoe company dream. I also believe that Coach Cal never even heard of Jacob until a week ago. Second, while an offer from Kentucky is typically impressive, have you seen their current roster? If the season started today, Coach Cal would have to play walk ons. He is that desperate. So to quadruple down, I don't think Jacob Toppin going to Kentucky confirms anything. I might be wrong, I might not be, but neither I nor the majority of the Boneyard can confirm anything just yet. You don't find it suspicious that the URI coaching staff wanted him out but Kentucky was drooling at the mouth to have him sign? Anyway, time to put this to rest. Time will tell and I will either admit I am wrong or claim I was right after seeing Jacob the next few years where ever he ends up.

Reaction Score
He has just committed to Kentucky. So we can scratch him off the list of possibilities

Reaction Score
I refuse to admit what I don't believe to be true. First, his list was suspicious from the start. Whenever you see a final three that includes all Nike schools, especially Oregon and Kentucky for a player with his resume, its a major red flag. I firmly believe this is a "favor" as shoe companies try and lure his brother, who is a human highlight film and a shoe company dream. I also believe that Coach Cal never even heard of Jacob until a week ago. Second, while an offer from Kentucky is typically impressive, have you seen their current roster? If the season started today, Coach Cal would have to play walk ons. He is that desperate. So to quadruple down, I don't think Jacob Toppin going to Kentucky confirms anything. I might be wrong, I might not be, but neither I nor the majority of the Boneyard can confirm anything just yet. You don't find it suspicious that the URI coaching staff wanted him out but Kentucky was drooling at the mouth to have him sign? Anyway, time to put this to rest. Time will tell and I will either admit I am wrong or claim I was right after seeing Jacob the next few years where ever he ends up.
So to you this wild theory that coach cal is doing Nike a favor and basing it off of absolutely nothing is much more realistic than cal liked the kid and may have wanted him......

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I have a hard time believing Cal would throw a spot away for 3 years on a practice squad level player. He's a very good athlete at 6'7, and showed good potential as a freshman. He would be a good part of the foundation for any program.

Reaction Score
Djct1999 Yes I agree with what others have said about you stating things as facts that aren’t or haven’t been proven true. Example: UConn wasn’t interested in Jacob. I doubt you know that to be fact. As I said in my original post, I saw him play in person, got feedback from URI fans, and know he is good enough to play at UConn. Apparently other top programs agreed with my appraisal. The big thing here is athletic ability AND the fact he grew like 3” in a year. Long ago there was a kid who was like 6’4” in HS from NY. He was lightly recruited and went to a small school in the Yankee Conference! By the time he suited up in college he was 6’7” and very athletic. No I’m not saying Toppin in the next Julius Irving, but his brother also was lightly recruited, grew to 6’9” and is a lottery pick. Time will tell

Reaction Score
So to you this wild theory that coach cal is doing Nike a favor and basing it off of absolutely nothing is much more realistic than cal liked the kid and may have wanted him......
He had no problem making up that the URI coaching staff wanted Toppin off the team. Apparently he has no problem making up things.

Reaction Score
He had no problem making up that the URI coaching staff wanted Toppin off the team. Apparently he has no problem making up things.
Just know that I am laughing at you, not with you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom