2020 off-season transfers | Page 41 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Mabrey has made her decision and it should be to know surprise. Coach Ivey doing her thing right now !

Ha this was so predictable. She only waited this long so it wasn't so obvious.

It's not really tampering when your sister is an assistant coach, right? :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
She may be a Mabrey but is not (yet?) at the level of her older sisters imho from her stats and the few games I saw. Seemed to wind down after a strong start. Not 100% clear on the complete ND roster but she may be on the bench.

Reaction Score
She may be a Mabrey but is not (yet?) at the level of her older sisters imho from her stats and the few games I saw. Seemed to wind down after a strong start. Not 100% clear on the complete ND roster but she may be on the bench.
I think she may be the best shooter of them all .

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Wow, to paraphrase Robert Hunter and the Dead, what a long, strange trip it's been for Dara Mabrey to get to Notre Dame. On one hand, what seemed obvious in March when she first announced she was in the portal (when she said she wanted to play more point guard) became not so obvious when star point guard (and fellow Jerseyan no less) Olivia Miles committed to ND in late April.

Some thoughts from a post I put on The Bench:

- As many of you know, as a Jersey guy, I'm a Mabrey family follower/fan and have seen zounds of Dara's games. As @Charliebball knows, I hoped Dara would've come to ND as a frosh. Still, better late than never.

- As for position and playing time, I'm guessing there were lots of conversations between the coaching staff and Dara regarding what position she'd best play and which she'd best have a chance at seeing the floor.

- That said, if she has to sit out 2020-21(probable), that could be an advantage. She can practice ball-handling and shooting and coaching staff can see where her strengths are. One thing for sure: her intensity in all facets will be noted and will help the team.

My immediate gut is that I think her best avenue at getting on the court is taking over Destinee Walker's shooting guard responsibilities (Walker is out after 20-21). Dara is still, at best, a long-range shooter who can also drive to the hoop (she's the quickest of the Mabreys, by far).

- She's also a good -- and pesky -- defender due to her quickness and dogged determination. Teaming wit Anaya Peoples, Abby Prohaska and Alasia Hayes, I see a trend towards tough(er) defenders.

- I'm guessing that this signing means it's open house/competition at Camp Niele, not just this year, but in 2021 as well. That's all a competitor can ask for.

- And because of that, I wouldn't count out Dara to be on the court. A lot. As Skylar Diggin's tweet (attached) indicates, Mabreys not only have swag(ger), but ND teams tend to win -- a lot -- when there's a Mabrey on the roster. Let's hope that record continues. (well at least for ND fans ;) :D)

P.S. Two attachments:
- article by long-time Jersey shore hoops writer and observer Gregg Lerner on Dara's transfer and interesting differences between the Mabrey sisters.
- Skylar Diggins-Smith's reaction to Dara coming aboard. This reaction is no surprise.

Reaction Score
Big sister will doubtless coach the younger sibling in the fine arts of basketball:

Whining at the refs, f l o p p i n g.

Right!
Add trash talking to the mix. Marina did that incessantly, so I am assuming that the other Mabry sisters have embraced the art of trash talking as well.

Reaction Score
Add trash talking to the mix. Marina did that incessantly, so I am assuming that the other Mabry sisters have embraced the art of trash talking as well.
If so...seem to be in good company: MJ, GP, Kobe, both Birds (Larry & Sue), and the best of all DT!

Plebe

Reaction Score
If so...seem to be in good company: MJ, GP, Kobe, both Birds (Larry & Sue), and the best of all DT!
Oh yeah, Marina and Dara Mabrey definitely belong in the same conversation as those all-time greats. Perhaps someone can start a "Mabrey GOAT" thread to discuss this over the next several months.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Oh yeah, Marina and Dara Mabrey definitely belong in the same conversation as those all-time greats. Perhaps someone can start a "Mabrey GOAT" thread to discuss this over the next several months.

Marina Mabrey definitely belongs in the flopping HOF. In that category is she definitely in the running for GOAT. Have not seen enough of her younger sister to know if this was God given talent or cultivated ability.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She’ll probably get the ND waiver. So, she’ll be able to play next season

For sure. It'll be the "I-need-to play-where-my sister-is-a-coach-at-Notre-Dame-during-a-pandemic" waiver. Interesting that Muffet passed and Ivey brings her in when there will be a bunch of guards.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
For sure. It'll be the "I-need-to play-where-my sister-is-a-coach-at-Notre-Dame-during-a-pandemic" waiver exception. Interesting that Muffet passed and Ivey brings her in when there will be a bunch of guards.

sooo besides Shepard.... where’s the ND pass??

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

fetchimage

Plebe

Reaction Score
Catching up to some transfer news, here's someone I wasn't exactly expecting to hear from.

Joyce Kennerson is grad-transferring from Texas Southern to Arkansas Pine Bluff for her final year of eligibility.

As a junior, Kennerson was the 2018 SWAC player of the year and spent much of that season atop the D-I scoring chart (she ended up 4th). She left the team after that season to give birth to her son.

I wonder of UAPB already got a waiver for a sixth year?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Catching up to some transfer news, here's someone I wasn't exactly expecting to hear from.

Joyce Kennerson is grad-transferring from Texas Southern to Arkansas Pine Bluff for her final year of eligibility.

As a junior, Kennerson was the 2018 SWAC player of the year and spent much of that season atop the D-I scoring chart (she ended up 4th). She left the team after that season to give birth to her son.

I wonder of UAPB already got a waiver for a sixth year?

Wonder if TSU offered her a spot back or if that ship had sailed.

Reaction Score
Wonder if TSU offered her a spot back or if that ship had sailed.
That would be crazy for them not to offer the 4th leading scorer in D1 a spot back unless she was a cancer ?

Plebe

Reaction Score
That would be crazy for them not to offer the 4th leading scorer in D1 a spot back unless she was a cancer ?
Not necessarily. A lot can change in two years of being away from not just a program, but the sport as a whole.

For starters, there was a coaching change at TSU in the interim. So who knows what her relationship was like with coach Cooper-Dyke and her staff, or whether she even stayed in communication or made them aware she wanted to come back.

It's also quite possible that TSU had no scholarships left to offer. Last year's roster was at 16, and I know they have at least four new players coming in next season.

Plebe

Reaction Score
A couple of significant west-coast transfers announced by the NCAA WBB Transfer List twitter account.

— 6'4" redshirt junior forward Jovana Subasic, last year's #3 scorer for Washington State (8.4 ppg, 4.0 rpg) will be a grad transfer, making the challenge of life after Hristova and Molina even harder for coach Kamie Ethridge.

— 5'11" junior forward Jordan Sanders was the leading scorer and rebounder for UC Irvine (13.6 ppg, 6.6 rpg) but played in only the first 7 games of 2019-20, meaning she's likely eligible for a medical hardship waiver and two more years of eligibility. (Sanders is from Springfield MO, so I wonder if she'd consider Missouri State as a homecoming transfer.)

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
— 6'4" redshirt junior forward Jovana Subasic, last year's #3 scorer for Washington State (8.4 ppg, 4.0 rpg) will be a grad transfer, making the challenge of life after Hristova and Molina even harder for coach Kamie Ethridge.

Wow! Not much to build around. She may be a good coach, but getting it going in Pullman is a difficult task. Daugherty went .500 in 13-14 and 2 games over .500 in 14-15. Before that you have to go back to 95-96 for a winning record. Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom