2020 off-season transfers | Page 36 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bottom quarter of the league for both with Illinois. She'll probably enjoy going to the football games though.
If Kieger didn’t lose all their post players, Penn State likely would have improved some. Hard to see them make any major improvements with all of the transfer outs.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

tenor (1).gif

Reaction Score
@Plebe -- a few more to add to your list that I noticed from raoul’s blog:
- Kayla Mokwuah to TCU
- Steph Gorman to San Diego
- Ozzy-Momodu to Eastern Michigan

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
This was my exact expression a few minutes ago. I just assumed Baines would end up closer to home. But VPI ??? Some ACC on ACC transfer violence ... popularized by the SEC. If there is a season next year... should make for some interesting handshakes between McCallie and Brooks.

whaaaaat.gif

Guess I'll just have to refer to her as the former #11 part 2 :rolleyes:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Odd transfer to me- out of the fire into the fire? Both programs struggling with maybe optimism for PSU due to a newer coach? But neither appears imminent for success. What’s your take on this?
It's actually a slight step down in terms of where each team is at.

Wisconsin actually was an improved team even if their record didn't show it. They held leads in a bunch of games against good teams but just couldn't close in the 4th quarter. The quality of play was definitely higher than the previous few years. The problem is that the Big Ten as a whole was much better as well, so it was a brutal year for the bottom 3 teams in the conference.

Penn State was dead-last this year and is barely at the start of rebuilding under coach Kieger.

The transfer portal has been pretty unkind to both programs. Wisconsin lost Beverley, Fredrickson (to DePaul) and Bragg, while Penn State lost four players including Ebo (to Texas) and Alisia Smith (Michigan State).

It's always easy to say a transfer decision doesn't make sense from the outside, but who knows what drove this decision. Maybe it was a particular graduate program, or a connection with Kieger or another staff member or even another player.

Reaction Score
This was my exact expression a few minutes ago. I just assumed Baines would end up closer to home. But VPI ??? Some ACC on ACC transfer violence ... popularized by the SEC. If there is a season next year... should make for some interesting handshakes between McCallie and Brooks.

View attachment 53699

Guess I'll just have to refer to her as the former #11 part 2 :rolleyes:
She's another one who decided to transfer a school that was on her finals list (Miami, FL, Georgia Tech, UNC)

Reaction Score
Carrington’s final three are UConn, Baylor, and Oregon. Potentially a good get for UConn who is immediately eligible.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
It's actually a slight step down in terms of where each team is at.

Wisconsin actually was an improved team even if their record didn't show it. They held leads in a bunch of games against good teams but just couldn't close in the 4th quarter. The quality of play was definitely higher than the previous few years. The problem is that the Big Ten as a whole was much better as well, so it was a brutal year for the bottom 3 teams in the conference.

Penn State was dead-last this year and is barely at the start of rebuilding under coach Kieger.

The transfer portal has been pretty unkind to both programs. Wisconsin lost Beverley, Fredrickson (to DePaul) and Bragg, while Penn State lost four players including Ebo (to Texas) and Alisia Smith (Michigan State).

It's always easy to say a transfer decision doesn't make sense from the outside, but who knows what drove this decision. Maybe it was a particular graduate program, or a connection with Kieger or another staff member or even another player.

Well put. A few thoughts:
- Regarding Niya Beverley. I have no idea why she left, but why she popped up in State College could be due -- perhaps -- to location. She's from the DC area (St. John's College) and that's a relatively short car drive from PSU. Plus, while Kieger has had a bit harder time than I expected with retention, Beverley is a good fit for an upbeat, push-it offense like Kieger employed at Marquette. Wisconsin, by contrast, seem to settle into half-court sets a bunch. BTW, when Wisconsin beat PSU the last time they met, Beverley scored a season high 19 poins against them.

- Wisconsin has lost a few players, as pointed out, most of them in their last year of eligibility. Fredrickson had been hurt (and had graduated) so it might've been a good time for both she and the Badgers to start anew.

- However, Tsipis has also brought in players:
-- Estella Moschkau, Stanford degree in hand, comes home to Madison to get the PT opportunity she never had at the Farm (understandably). She can take that Frederickson role and provide good leadership to a pretty young team.
- Lexi Duckett, guard from Florida and transfer from UNC. Who knows? As someone noted, UNC and Florida don't add up to Madison. On the other hand, she looks a little like Maddie Cable, one of Tsipis' best and favorite recruits at Notre Dame.
- From Gothenburg, Sweden, Lovisa Djurström is a 6-foot-4 post for RIG Mark academy. She's a late member of the 2020 class.

- And he still has two of his top 3 returning scorers: Foward Imani Lewis, from NJ (she's tough) and guard Sydney Hilliard from Wisconsin, one of his first in-state recruts since coming (the prior coaching staff had largely eschewed in-state players and even contacts at the end of her stay).

I think he still had multiple years on his contract, but JT probably has to have (more than) a few of those late-minute losses go his way next season.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So, with the recommendation of the NCAA Board of Directors to not allow 1-Time transfer free play (vote is May 20?) and the fact that MM has resigned, Niele Ivey taking over and that Niele has not made an announcement about her staff, which Mick Mabry is/was on, does Mabry the Younger (Dara) have to look at different options including going back to VPI? To me, she seems capable of playing and starting on most P5 teams and likely she wants in on a program that will make the NCAAT. Something seems odd that it's taken her this long to identify that next school considering most of us thought it was a foregone conclusion that destination was South Bend. So
, does a place like NC State seem a logical option?
Where's our resident "all things ND" colleagues @Dillon77 or @Orangutan with their insight? :rolleyes: Heck, even @CamrnCrz1974 might have an ACC slant on this one.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
So, with the recommendation of the NCAA Board of Directors to not allow 1-Time transfer free play (vote is May 20?) and the fact that MM has resigned, Niele Ivey taking over and that Niele has not made an announcement about her staff, which Mick Mabry is/was on, does Mabry the Younger (Dara) have to look at different options including going back to VPI? To me, she seems capable of playing and starting on most P5 teams and likely she wants in on a program that will make the NCAAT. Something seems odd that it's taken her this long to identify that next school considering most of us thought it was a foregone conclusion that destination was South Bend. So
Where's our resident "all things ND" colleagues @Dillon77 or @Orangutan with their insight? :rolleyes: Heck, even @CamrnCrz1974 might have an ACC slant on this one.
IDK if there is room for her to return to VPI. Kenny is bringing in a class of 3 in 2020, 9 returning players, and has just signed 2 transfers. 9 of his 14 players in 20-21 are guards.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

With Miles committed for 2021 and Hayes coming this fall, it doesn't seem to me like it makes much sense to bring in a transfer point guard any more.

The only way it would make sense would be if she had immediate eligibility and could fill the void at PG for 2020-2021.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

I had just put a post on McGraw's Bench about transfers -- including this one -- based on the summary article Graham Hays posted.

- Dara Mabrey, 5-7, G, So., Virginia Tech -- uncommitted.
Hays writes: "There will be speculation she will follow sisters Michaela and Marina to Notre Dame. Wherever Dara goes, 3-pointers will follow ..."

- Dara supposedly left Va Tech to get to play point guard. With Alasia Hayes coming in to share the PG duties with Katlyn Gilbert in 202; and, perhaps more importantly, Olivia Miles committing for 2021, the chance to play a lot (if any) point guard looks slim.

The only way I thought Dara might get a shot was if there was immediate eligibility, so she could split with Hayes and then Miles. That's probaly not happening. Plus, Niele Ivey is in charge now and she is highly vested in Hayes' recruitiment and was also a major factor in Miles committing.

- The Michaela (Mike) factor: Will the first-year ND assistant be asked to join Niele's new staff? That's a TBD at this point and depending on the outcome (and reasons why), there could be pro-Mabrey vibes...or not.

- Long story short: I think the Dara-ND story will be one of starts, stops, poor timing and all the other cliches, with lots of players and coaches scattered around I-95 and I-80.

Looking at the ACC:
- Can't see her going back to Va. Tech: looks like Kenny Brooks has already filled PG and shooting guard spots.
- The NC State idea is interesting. They could use some outside shooting to open up the lane, but does Wes Moore think Dara could help run the offense?
- Miami: Katie Meier gave Mabrey1 her first full-time job out of ND and is a friend of the family. They did well with another shoot-first point guard in Laura Cornelius; perhaps the same with Dara? Plus, Dara is a Jersey Shore girl...maybe feels sympatico in Coral Gables? :cool:
- Boston College: Jersey Shore girls used to flock to this school to play. Maybe Dara can trigger a rebirth. Plus, the coach is a pistol and so is Baby Mabrey. :D

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A&M gonna have some really talented teams these next couple years. Isn't that transfer from ND available this coming season? Jordan Nixon I think

They also signed a really nice freshmen class.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
A&M gonna have some really talented teams these next couple years. Isn't that transfer from ND available this coming season? Jordan Nixon I think

They also signed a really nice freshmen class.

Yup. Jordan NIxon sat out this year. She'll have three years of eligibilty, btw.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coach Blair scores two major transfers in Zay Green and now Destiny Pitts.

Why isn't this a recruiting violation? Recruiting is suspended with not in person contact or campus visits.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Why isn't this a recruiting violation? Recruiting is suspended with not in person contact or campus visits.
Photos were almost certainly taken on a visit that took place months ago. Pitts has been in the transfer portal since January.

Reaction Score
Coach Blair scores two major transfers in Zay Green and now Destiny Pitts.

When did they take that picture? I would have to think they took that before the quarantine

Reaction Score
Photos were almost certainly taken on a visit that took place months ago. Pitts has been in the transfer portal since January.
Oh so is it normal for transfers to take pics with schools they maybe considering transferring to?

Reaction Score
When did they take that picture? I would have to think they took that before the quarantine
She considered transferring back in January. It’s normal to take a picture in a jersey while on a visit. I’d bet that is when it was taken.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

That is a really unremarkable group of finalists outside of NC State. Huh. Well I wouldn't complain if she picked UW. Oregon St. fans were kinda hoping to get her, they could use another ball handling guard, but they aren't included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom