2020 off-season transfers | Page 34 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I wasn't commenting only about Tennessee's newest signee. Just about every program has an international player (Texas has a rising sophomore Aussie who is currently back in her country).

So many unknowns right now. The more international players on a roster, they greater the risk, IMO. And, some countries (like Spain) where the COVID-19 numbers have been so high, could probably face more stringent restrictions for its citizens being able to enter the U.S..

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Adding her will help roster back at 12.
Exactly and you still have 3 more spots open for this year. It's a "no risk" situation. In looking at the current transfer portal, I do not see anyone who really could help Tennessee this year. We have our eyes potentially on Lucy but Tenn has enough height so she's not really what you need. Guards, Wings and shooters are in short supply at Tennessee. Sorry Southie, your argument is still not swaying my perspective...:rolleyes:

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Exactly and you still have 3 more spots open for this year. It's a "no risk" situation. In looking at the current transfer portal, I do not see anyone who really could help Tennessee this year. We have our eyes potentially on Lucy but Tenn has enough height so she's not really what you need. Guards, Wings and shooters are in short supply at Tennessee. Sorry Southie, your argument is still not swaying my perspective...:rolleyes:
Yes I agree.

Reaction Score
Yes, Marquette is light years ahead of Pitt and that is sort of my point, she's expected to help Pitt which is a sad commentary. The ACC was down but man, to say it was worse than the SEC? Ouch, also I disagree as the metrics of WN and Massey say the ACC is better. The eye test does as well as I saw 4 tiers in the SEC:
1st. SC
2nd MSU/Texas A&M, Kentucky
3rd LSU, Arkansas, Tenn
4th everyone else (I guess a 5th of Ole Miss who was truly terrible)

While the ACC had
1st Louisville, NC State (behind SC but ahead of MSU-TAM)
2nd FSU, Duke, BC, VT, GT (on par with MSU-TAM and more of them)
3rd Syracuse, NC, Miami (with a healthy Mompremier) (on par with Tier 3)
4th is NC, Virginia, ND and even WF and well ahead of the 4th tier of the SEC.
What am I missing that is prompting you to think the ACC is worse?

BC, Duke, VT, and GT were not comparable to Miss St and probably not TAMU or UK, imo.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Yes, Marquette is light years ahead of Pitt and that is sort of my point, she's expected to help Pitt which is a sad commentary. The ACC was down but man, to say it was worse than the SEC? Ouch, also I disagree as the metrics of WN and Massey say the ACC is better. The eye test does as well as I saw 4 tiers in the SEC:
1st. SC
2nd MSU/Texas A&M, Kentucky
3rd LSU, Arkansas, Tenn
4th everyone else (I guess a 5th of Ole Miss who was truly terrible)

While the ACC had
1st Louisville, NC State (behind SC but ahead of MSU-TAM)
2nd FSU, Duke, BC, VT, GT (on par with MSU-TAM and more of them)
3rd Syracuse, NC, Miami (with a healthy Mompremier) (on par with Tier 3)
4th is NC, Virginia, ND and even WF and well ahead of the 4th tier of the SEC.
What am I missing that is prompting you to think the ACC is worse?

Mississippi State was 6-1 last year against Tennessee, Kentucky, A&M, Arkansas, and LSU. We hold tier 2 all alone, dude. And 13-3 overall.

And it's already been said Arkansas was 4-1 against those same teams. LSU was also strong against the top SEC teams. We could argue those tiers of yours. :D

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
No skin off my nose.

We'll know soon if the immediate-eligibility one-time transfer proposal is approved and goes into effect immediately. If it does, more reason to keep some scholarships open versus signing international prospects (unless they are considered elite).

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
No skin off my nose.

We'll know soon if the immediate-eligibility one-time transfer proposal is approved and goes into effect immediately. If it does, more reason to keep some scholarships open versus signing international prospects (unless they are considered elite).
You raise an interesting question though-Does the transfer portal have a "closing date" for the upcoming season? So, if the measure is passed on May 20th, will there be a deadline that a student athlete for the upcoming 2020-21 school year must be in the portal by to be considered? As schools start in late August or early September, does the committee want time to consider say an Aug1 deadline?

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
You raise an interesting question though-Does the transfer portal have a "closing date" for the upcoming season? So, if the measure is passed on May 20th, will there be a deadline that a student athlete for the upcoming 2020-21 school year must be in the portal by to be considered? As schools start in late August or early September, does the committee want time to consider say an Aug1 deadline?
I doubt there would be any "closing date". If some kind of deadline is added as a condition for transferring prior to the upcoming season, I'm sure there would be plenty of time for those changes to be communicated. Transfers (even prior to the creation of portal) only had to abide by their new institution's class enrollment deadline for said semester / quarter.

Currently, a S-A can submit their name into the transfer portal, take official visits, but still withdraw their name from the transfer portal and remain at their current school (assuming head coach is in agreement). Time-table seems very lax. Destiny Pitts submitted her name into the transfer portal in mid-January, and took one official visit; yet 3 months later has not made any kind of official decision about her future (that we know of).

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
D'Asia Gregg to Virginia Tech.

She started at Georgia Tech, played this past season at Gulf Coast State College, recently decommitted from Florida State.

Huge get for Kenny Brooks.

Last edited:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Big fish in a tiny pond.
FGCU isn't that tiny of a pond anymore - last season they were unquestionably better than longtime powerhouses like Notre Dame, Texas, and Tennessee.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Woah:

Big fish in a tiny pond.
Great move for Bell. FGCUS fits her game. She will fit in well and be able to be a star. Smart move. I respect athletes who go to Mid Majors. I think Smesko is a upgrade over McGruff

If it wasn't for daily news coming out of South Bend, this news regarding an Ohio hoopster moving south would have gotten even more spotlight. I second virtually all of your posts. I remember when Bell signed with Ohio State her family (father?) said the intent was for her to sign somewhere close so the family could see her. Well, is the whole family heading south?

She's certainly going to be the focus of that squad, which -- interestingly enough -- she wasn't quite at OSU. (May have been at some point). Still, it's a bold move for her. I'm sure Smesko is dancing a jig on the beach.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
FGCU isn't that tiny of a pond anymore - last season they were unquestionably better than longtime powerhouses like Notre Dame, Texas, and UT.
Yeah, it seems people are dissing FGCU basically because it's a mid-major. Never mind the fact that it's a better program than 70% of the power 5.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I would say something to retort.... but I'll let sleeping dogs lie :confused:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Color me skeptical on Bell as I think she's not all that was initially advertised. She was 6th in minutes at OSU, yet hoisted the most 3 pt shots-176 of them and made only 32% of them (yikes!), she shot 49% from 2 point land and 39% overall, again that is not great. Keep in mind she took the second most shots on the team so she sort of was a focal point of this team so it was odd she was transferring. I know McGuff gets his fair share of flack on this board but he is a good coach (maybe a better recruiter) especially among many of the P5 coaches. Is he a better coach than Karl in regards to x's and o's, maybe not. Can Bell be coached is the next question so she takes better shots or more open shots might be a valid concern under Karl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom