2020 off-season transfers | Page 32 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kind of surprised there's still no decision from Destiny Pitts of Minnesota; I mean, she is on her own timetable, but, left the team and entered her name in the transfer portal back in January, I believe.
I have to think when Lindsay Whalen suspends you indefinitely and then you leave the team, coaches will have reservations. Something serious had to have happened.

Reaction Score
Did you watch them this season? Cooper was a leader in scoring and led team in FGA by a pretty big amount. Torched UCONN too. Chloe Jackson the year before was a double digit scorer and put up 29 in the title game on 25 shots. Year before they had Kristi Wallace who averaged 13ppg from the point guard spot. Definitely a lot more going on at the PG spot than just bringing the ball up and dumping it inside.
I watched a lot of Baylor ball and I just don't see the creativity and excitement you are trying to describe. Big12 play was largely slow paced and all about Cox, Smith, and Egbo.. Richards played defense. Cooper and Landrum brought the ball up, dribbled around until they could dump the ball inside. Ursin dribbles even more. When they can't get it in, they'll jack up shots and when they are hot they put up points....Mulkey herself says her offense is about getting the ball inside and yells at her guards when it doesn't happen.

Reaction Score
I watched a lot of Baylor ball and I just don't see the creativity and excitement you are trying to describe. Big12 play was largely slow paced and all about Cox, Smith, and Egbo.. Richards played defense. Cooper and Landrum brought the ball up, dribbled around until they could dump the ball inside. Ursin dribbles even more. When they can't get it in, they'll jack up shots and when they are hot they put up points....Mulkey herself says her offense is about getting the ball inside and yells at her guards when it doesn't happen.
Perhaps FGA would be a useful statistic here? Cooper took the most shots on a team, by a relatively wide margin.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Rewatch the UCONN game....Cooper is doing a lot more than what you're acknowledging. I'm not saying it's like an ND/UCONN/Oregon style offense that thrives on motion but the guards have a lot of freedom to do more than dribble up the court and dump the ball inside. And I think they actually have a lot more freedom to go one on one or attack the rim than PGs do at UCONN where it's a more structured and rigid offense.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Another good get for coach Bruno.

Allen's father and uncle both played for Ray Meyer at DePaul.

And her sister, Jenna Allen, played at Michigan State (and professionally in Spain). Those driveway games must be battles.

I follow Indiana on a semi-frequent basis to see Ali Patberg who, even though she left ND (understandably IMHO), I still respect and enjoy. As such, I caught a wrap-up interview with head coach Terri Moren in which she compared Allen to guard Grace Berger. She noted Berger had a decent first year, but then ramped it up in the off-season and really stepped up her sophomore year. Moren hoped for and expected Allen to do the same thing.

And gosh knows the opportunity was there for expanded playing time. Brenna Wiese, who had transferred from Pittsburgh and was Patberg's BFF, graduated and there was an opportunity to get at least some/most of those minutes.

Now, another ND transfer (geesh) Dani Patterson is eligible next year and she's kind of a hybrid like Allen. Did Allen not like the prospect of possibly splitting minutes?

As for DePaul, she had initially mentioned that she was looking for another P5 location, but maybe she rethought that given the family's DePaul connections and that league's soon-to-be rising profile (thanks, Huskies!). She'll be in some good battles against UConn, St. John's and Marquette.

Still, the old school in me casts a slightly wary eye here....

Reaction Score
I have to think when Lindsay Whalen suspends you indefinitely and then you leave the team, coaches will have reservations. Something serious had to have happened.
It appears to have been an insubordination issue as Pitts wasn't showing Whelan the respect a coach deserves when Whelan provided direction to her. That red flag is likely prompting numerous coaches to stay away from her recruitment out of the portal. Pitts has talent and has produced numbers, but she didn't do herself any favors by disrespecting her coach when her coach was giving her guidance on the court.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It appears to have been an insubordination issue as Pitts wasn't showing Whelan the respect a coach deserves when Whelan provided direction to her. That red flag is likely prompting numerous coaches to stay away from her recruitment out of the portal. Pitts has talent and has produced numbers, but she didn't do herself any favors by disrespecting her coach when her coach was giving her guidance on the court.
Umm, not buying it as virtually all coaches think they can "modify" a players behavior in their system. See Alexis Morris from Baylor to Rutgers to ?...See Taya Reimer from ND to MSU, see Te'a Cooper from Tenn to SC to Baylor..
See Diamond Deshields from NC to Tenn...
.if you have talent, coaches will take you.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Well, as it pertains to schools Destiny Pitts is/was considering, all I recall reading is that she took an official visit to Arizona (for their home game against Stanford?). Other than that, nothing else that I remember. Arizona has since taken several transfers, including a (similar?) guard from Indiana, IIRC.

Reaction Score
Well, as it pertains to schools Destiny Pitts is/was considering, all I recall reading is that she took an official visit to Arizona (for their home game against Stanford?). Other than that, nothing else that I remember. Arizona has since taken several transfers, including a (similar?) guard from Indiana, IIRC.
I believe Arizona has no scholarships left (maybe one though).

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Zaay Green (Tenn) heading to TX A&M
That's actually where I thought she'd sign out of high school before verbally committing to Kansas, decommitting from Kansas, and then signing with Tennessee.

Reaction Score
That's actually where I thought she'd sign out of high school before verbally committing to Kansas, decommitting from Kansas, and then signing with Tennessee.

Will she have to sit out another year?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Where's our SEC fans to point out yet another transfer within the SEC? :rolleyes:

It was about to be an ACC fan about to point it out, but you beat me to it. I know there are 14 schools in the conference, but come on...

Reaction Score
Two more from Raoul's blog:
- Deja Cage -> MTSU
- Essence Beverly -> Ball State

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Two more from Raoul's blog:
- Deja Cage -> MTSU
- Essence Beverly -> Ball State
Did you mean Essence Booker?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Will she have to sit out another year?

That would be cold considering her injury but I guess the implication that she was pushed out by her own actions :confused:

Reaction Score
Umm, not buying it as virtually all coaches think they can "modify" a players behavior in their system. See Alexis Morris from Baylor to Rutgers to ?...See Taya Reimer from ND to MSU, see Te'a Cooper from Tenn to SC to Baylor..
See Diamond Deshields from NC to Tenn...
.if you have talent, coaches will take you.
Some specific behaviors will prompt coaches to think twice that they can change or prevent that unacceptable behavior from occurring again. Coaches have seen the video of Pitts blowing off her coach as they left the court at halftime. That action speaks volumes of a player not willing to listen. Not all coaches believe that players can/will change their ways.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer