2020 off-season transfers | Page 30 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Think Freese is a bad coach is head scratching to me, but I assume it's some residual insecurity from a prior threat.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
I feel like Arkansas needs to rise this year. Last year was an improvement, but they still can't come close to beating South Carolina and Mississippi State. Still, 25-8 is not bad at all.

Maybe the issue was the lack of a frontcourt which still has not been resolved. But having Ramirez, Dungee, and Slocum as the backcourt might elevate them into a top 10 team. I would've thought Daniels was good enough to be next in line for their triple-threat backcourt, but they still keep adding to it (and incoming recruit Elauna Eaton.... who is another guard)

Anyways, good choice by Slocum. Don't think it makes much sense for her to wear Maroon and White, so I look forward to playing against a possible Top 10 Arkansas team in Fayetteville next year.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I feel like Arkansas needs to rise this year. Last year was an improvement, but they still can't come close to beating South Carolina and Mississippi State. Still, 25-8 is not bad at all.

Maybe the issue was the lack of a frontcourt which still has not been resolved. But having Ramirez, Dungee, and Slocum as the backcourt might elevate them into a top 10 team. I would've thought Daniels was good enough to be next in line for their triple-threat backcourt, but they still keep adding to it (and incoming recruit Elauna Eaton.... who is another guard)

Anyways, good choice by Slocum. Don't think it makes much sense for her to wear Maroon and White, so I look forward to playing against a possible Top 10 Arkansas team in Fayetteville next year.
Slocum is of course a great get, but I'm not seeing how Arkansas will be qualitatively better next year. They lose Tolefree, who was their top scorer this year, as well as Gaulden and Doumbia, who were also key contributors. Slocum is better overall than Tolefree, but adding her doesn't address the areas that were holding Arkansas back from being better than a marginal top 25 team, namely rebounding and defense.

But certainly, the backcourt should be one of the best in the country, at least offensively speaking. I think the net result will be a little better overall, but I'm having trouble seeing top 10.

Reaction Score
Slocum is of course a great get, but I'm not seeing how Arkansas will be qualitatively better next year. They lose Tolefree, who was their top scorer this year, as well as Gaulden and Doumbia, who were also key contributors. Slocum is better overall than Tolefree, but adding her doesn't address the areas that were holding Arkansas back from being better than a marginal top 25 team, namely rebounding and defense.

But certainly, the backcourt should be one of the best in the country, at least offensively speaking. I think the net result will be a little better overall, but I'm having trouble seeing top 10.

Arkansas needs better post play and presence. The lack of size and physicality inside is a killer against the great teams

no doubt their guard play is explosive and super talented but You usually need a balance inside. Relying on the 3 ball is not something that consistently wins

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score

I recognize those Arkansas issues and I agree with everything being said about them, but I just think next year they'll beat almost everyone except South Carolina and Mississippi State and have too strong a backcourt to have those bad losses to California, Georgia, or Florida. Of course they'll have a few unexpected losses but just 1 or 2. If they can beat everyone apart from those 2, that'll be enough to slightly squeeze them into the top 10 though that doesn't mean they'll be a top tier team by any means.

Just don't think there's a lot of teams that impressive next year apart from SC/Stanford/UConn/MSU/Baylor/Louisville/NcState/Arizona

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
The SEC has had a big transfer season.

I Feel left out.

th

Reaction Score
I recognize those Arkansas issues and I agree with everything being said about them, but I just think next year they'll beat almost everyone except South Carolina and Mississippi State and have too strong a backcourt to have those bad losses to California, Georgia, or Florida. Of course they'll have a few unexpected losses but just 1 or 2. If they can beat everyone apart from those 2, that'll be enough to slightly squeeze them into the top 10 though that doesn't mean they'll be a top tier team by any means.

Just don't think there's a lot of teams that impressive next year apart from SC/Stanford/UConn/MSU/Baylor/Louisville/NcState/Arizona
I feel like Kentucky will be elite too, especially if Benton & Massengill get transfer waivers. Rhyne Howard, Chasity Patterson, 5 star recruit Treasure Hunt, Edwards (transfer from Utah who was Pac 12 FOY) & then all of those good role players like Wyatt, Mckinney, Green, etc. They’ll be better next season IMO even without the transfers playing immediately.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
I feel like Kentucky will be elite too, especially if Benton & Massengill get transfer waivers. Rhyne Howard, Chasity Patterson, 5 star recruit Treasure Hunt, Edwards (transfer from Utah who was Pac 12 FOY) & then all of those good role players like Wyatt, Mckinney, Green, etc. They’ll be better next season IMO even without the transfers playing immediately.

Eh... not sure they'll be elite, but they might be top 12 around where Arkansas is. Neither is elite to me but has a great chance at being around the 10-12 range. No doubt Kentucky made it a nightmare for MSU to score in the paint in the first game, but their lack of size and complimentary talent in all positions hurt them in the 2nd game. But maybe they'll have a new type of look next year with some brand new players and will have addressed some of those issues they had last year such as struggling to score for long periods.

But yeah, I agree that those should be the top 4 of the SEC (MSU, SC, Kentucky, Arkansas)

Reaction Score
Kentucky has the ability to beat a lot of teams as R Howard is a very gifted player and a big mismatch on the perimeter. However they haven’t addressed their lack of size.

Reaction Score
The transfer portal so far this year has been unpredictable. Interested in where she lands. Very talented kid, would be a great grab for anyone.

She is from up north, not sure if she would want to go south but crazier things have happened.
If Coach McCray-Penson is able to keep M Hayes this spring I’ll be happy. Anything else is a bonus. I think it is going to be difficult for her to establish relationships with any elite players this soon. I can’t imagine her recruiting the same type players at Old Dominion that would be needed to improve this Mississippi State team. She is basically starting from scratch. Conservatively she is going to have to prove her first year that she can coach talent and keep Mississippi State playing at a high level. Even though she can tout her national championship at South Carolina and her improvement to the Old Dominion program I think most high level players are going to take a wait and see position.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
If Coach McCray-Penson is able to keep M Hayes this spring I’ll be happy. Anything else is a bonus. I think it is going to be difficult for her to establish relationships with any elite players this soon. I can’t imagine her recruiting the same type players at Old Dominion that would be needed to improve this Mississippi State team. She is basically starting from scratch. Conservatively she is going to have to prove her first year that she can coach talent and keep Mississippi State playing at a high level. Even though she can tout her national championship at South Carolina and her improvement to the Old Dominion program I think most high level players are going to take a wait and see position.

I don't expect us to get the likes of Azzi Fudd or Saniya Rivers in McCray's first year, but I do think we have to recruit Raven Johnson and Sara Puckett and at least have a decent recruiting class. Puckett is from Alabama and Starkville is literally the closest campus to her. And she'll be next in line to Sidney Cooks in the stretch 4 position. I don't know how strong Raven Johnson is with South Carolina, or elsewhere though but I feel we'll be behind a bit unless we can recruit 2 top 25 prospects (according to Prospect Nation).

Reaction Score
Eh... not sure they'll be elite, but they might be top 12 around where Arkansas is. Neither is elite to me but has a great chance at being around the 10-12 range. No doubt Kentucky made it a nightmare for MSU to score in the paint in the first game, but their lack of size and complimentary talent in all positions hurt them in the 2nd game. But maybe they'll have a new type of look next year with some brand new players and will have addressed some of those issues they had last year such as struggling to score for long periods.

But yeah, I agree that those should be the top 4 of the SEC (MSU, SC, Kentucky, Arkansas)
Yeah you’re right now that I think about it, think Edwards is 6-2 like Howard so no real size upgrade but talent-wise they should be better in that regard I’m guessing.

Reaction Score
I don't expect us to get the likes of Azzi Fudd or Saniya Rivers in McCray's first year, but I do think we have to recruit Raven Johnson and Sara Puckett and at least have a decent recruiting class. Puckett is from Alabama and Starkville is literally the closest campus to her. And she'll be next in line to Sidney Cooks in the stretch 4 position. I don't know how strong Raven Johnson is with South Carolina, or elsewhere though but I feel we'll be behind a bit unless we can recruit 2 top 25 prospects (according to Prospect Nation).
I know Raven has been to a few of SC games and has camped at SC back when she was in middle school. If she is the next point guard Dawn wants I would be surprised if Dawn does not get her.

SimpleDawg

Reaction Score
Jaden Owens follows Lovato and Vic.

Well she follows Mulkey, Muffet, and Minnesota coach too so I wouldn't say it's a done deal she ends up in Austin. But knowing Vic and his plugging in of all his leaky roster holes, I would neither be surprised if he gets another big transfer in Owens and/or ends up fielding a top 10 team at the end of the year.

Reaction Score
Could be just guesses . . . or not . . .

I forgot all about Bell, maybe she’ll be interested in MD since Mikesell left. Could definitely see her stepping in that role or maybe she wants to be the star of a team too so maybe not.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Could be just guesses . . . or not . . .

Not sure if this was covered previously in this thread, but Tara announced earlier this week that Anna Wilson will be returning for a fifth year next year (YAY! Hard to think of anyone who deserves an extra year more, given all she's been through in terms of injuries and missed playing time). Previously, that would have precluded Dijonai Carrington from returning, but there's now a scholly spot open since Estella Moschkau is grad transferring to Wisconsin. No idea whether that was a potential cause for her to explore the grad transfer, but provided there's a grad program for her at Stanford that she's interested in and can get admitted to, there's a spot open if she wants back in. There is basically zero chance Stanford pursues a grad transfer or inbound transfer, so the scholly will likely go unfilled if she decides to finish her collegiate career elsewhere.

Reaction Score
London Clarkson (FSU) is in the transfer portal. I liked her, she gave max effort and was aggressive, good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom