2020 off-season transfers | Page 43 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Some of yall might think its a case of sour grapes.... but seriously... this aint right. Aint it some kind of NCAA rule against this? Some bull in my opinion. Like I've said previously... ain't nothing like raised blood pressure on a Monday :mad:
I wonder what's rarer: the double usage of the grad transfer exemption, or boomeranging back to one's original team with a second transfer.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I wonder what's rarer: the double usage of the grad transfer exemption, or boomeranging back to one's original team with a second transfer.

I'd say the latter is rarer. Doesn't sit well with me at all.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Asia Todd, whose transfer announcement from Liberty made a splash a few weeks ago, is Orlando-bound.

She becomes UCF's second significant in-transfer this offseason, along with Alisha Lewis from Syracuse.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Evina Westbrook, redshirt junior guard, Tennessee to UConn
2018-19 stats: 14.9 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 5.3 APG, 1.6 SPG, 38.0% 3-point shooting

Westbrook was one of the nation’s top scorers and assisters in her sophomore season at Tennessee, but she could only watch last season as her new team played her former team for the first time since 2007. If Westbrook had been eligible last season, many observers thought she could have elevated the Huskies from a top-10 team to one that could hang with the “Big Three” of South Carolina, Oregon, and Baylor. Instead, she’ll team up with incoming freshman guard Paige Bueckers—the top incoming recruit in the country—junior center Olivia Nelson-Ododa, and junior guard Christyn Williams to try to get UConn its first national championship since—gasp!—2016.

Coombs to GA made honorable mention

Reaction Score
Evina Westbrook, redshirt junior guard, Tennessee to UConn
2018-19 stats: 14.9 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 5.3 APG, 1.6 SPG, 38.0% 3-point shooting

Westbrook was one of the nation’s top scorers and assisters in her sophomore season at Tennessee, but she could only watch last season as her new team played her former team for the first time since 2007. If Westbrook had been eligible last season, many observers thought she could have elevated the Huskies from a top-10 team to one that could hang with the “Big Three” of South Carolina, Oregon, and Baylor. Instead, she’ll team up with incoming freshman guard Paige Bueckers—the top incoming recruit in the country—junior center Olivia Nelson-Ododa, and junior guard Christyn Williams to try to get UConn its first national championship since—gasp!—2016.

Coombs to GA made honorable mention
ESPN considers well outside the top 60 to be "one of the nation's top scorers"?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
ESPN considers well outside the top 60 to be "one of the nation's top scorers"?

Well, 15PPG + > 5 APG seems to be a good offensive combination. No doubt her efficiency numbers can and will improve.

Reaction Score
Oregon State's 6'7" rising junior Patricia Morris has entered the transfer portal. A very raw athlete with a decent upside if she can harness her physical tools and protect the rim consistently. Morris didn't earn a lot of playing time during her two seasons in Corvallis and was destined to play behind the talented 6'4" Taylor Jones at the 5 during her final two years of eligibility.

The Beavers lost two-time All-PAC-12 point guard Destiny Slocum earlier this spring to a transfer to Arkansas. The decision by Morris to seek more playing time makes it two players who have transferred out and one player transferring in for the '20-'21 season. Bucknell's 6'3" grad transfer Ellie Mack is coming to Corvallis to finish her collegiate career.

Simply put, the Beavs need to add some healthy bodies prior to the start of the season or they will be a very thin squad for whatever the '20-'21 season may hold. 6'6" Kennedy Brown will likely redshirt and 6'9" Andrea Aquino will probably not play again in '20-'21. 6'3" redshirt junior Taya Corosdale will be returning from season-ending hamstring surgery that took place in November 2019. Rising junior guard Jasmine Simmons is still recovering from had surgery that she underwent last month.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
...Simply put, the Beavs need to add some healthy bodies prior to the start of the season or they will be a very thin squad for whatever the '20-'21 season may hold. 6'6" Kennedy Brown will likely redshirt and 6'9" Andrea Aquino will probably not play again in '20-'21. 6'3" redshirt junior Taya Corosdale will be returning from season-ending hamstring surgery that took place in November 2019. Rising junior guard Jasmine Simmons is still recovering from had surgery that she underwent last month.
If I may ask, are you assuming due to the injury that Brown may redshirt? And is Aquino still trying to recover from her injuries? Odd that she would sit out another year...But yes, given the concern over the pandemic, having a small roster is not good...walk-ons may be more crucial than ever...

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If I may ask, are you assuming due to the injury that Brown may redshirt? And is Aquino still trying to recover from her injuries? Odd that she would sit out another year...But yes, given the concern over the pandemic, having a small roster is not good...walk-ons may be more crucial than ever...

Brown was injured fairly late in the season. It seems like a foregone conclusion she will miss '20-'21. Aquino may never play. I don't think it's an injury, some other kind of medical condition.

Reaction Score
Kennedy Brown didn't have her knee surgery until mid-March. Every indication out of Corvallis is that Brown will redshirt if there is a season in '20-'21.

As NWHoopFan has pointed out above, those in the know in Beaver Nation firmly believe that the 6'9" redshirt sophomore-to-be Aquino will never be allowed to play collegiate basketball due to an undisclosed medical condition. Very unfortunate. We all know that she wants to play. Aquino is consistently an energetic presence on the Beaver bench and was named Most Inspirational by her teammates this past season.

Last edited:

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
As NWHoopFan has pointed out above, those in the know in Beaver Nation firmly believe that the 6'9" redshirt sophomore-to-be Aquino will never be allowed to play collegiate basketball due to an undisclosed medical condition. Very unfortunate. We all know that she wants to play. Aquino is consistently an energetic presence on the Beaver bench and was named Most Inspirational by her teammates this past season.
This type of thing is so sad.

Arizona had the French player who spent almost her entire career inactive due to leg issues; while basketball related initially (I assume) she never was able to suit up after her first season and never really played. It wasn't any on-court injury, so far as I know, just on-going issues.

I was very proud of Arizona for keeping her around while she completed her education, which they also did with several other (injured) players, including Tee Tee Starks this past season.

Reaction Score
Is it normal to have this many transfers in mid July?

Perfect Storm:

1) physical distancing from team for months
2) Covid impact on family interactions/isolation
3) monetary impact on programs
4) social issues in country
5) travel issues
6) likelihood that every Transfer Waiver Request will be granted this year
7) academic disruption
8) geographic disparity re impact of issues

Solid Precursor to the Wild West that will occur next offseason after One Time Transfer legislation is adopted.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Great addition for Tennessee:

Some interesting info about her background in this article from her home state:

Curious quote here:

“Texas Tech was real close. Baylor is a great program -- I really loved the coaches there as well – but the distance (to Texas Tech and Baylor were) really hard for me, though, because my family’s been a big part (attending) my games and they’re a big part of who I am.”​

Assuming her folks still live in Muskegon, Michigan, that would be a 9-1/2 hour drive to Knoxville. Yes, that's a lot closer than Lubbock or Waco, but are they really gonna be driving back and forth from the western shore of Michigan to Thompson Boling Arena?

Reaction Score
Some interesting info about her background in this article from her home state:

Curious quote here:

“Texas Tech was real close. Baylor is a great program -- I really loved the coaches there as well – but the distance (to Texas Tech and Baylor were) really hard for me, though, because my family’s been a big part (attending) my games and they’re a big part of who I am.”​

Assuming her folks still live in Muskegon, Michigan, that would be a 9-1/2 hour drive to Knoxville. Yes, that's a lot closer than Lubbock or Waco, but are they really gonna be driving back and forth from the western shore of Michigan to Thompson Boling Arena?

Come on Plebe, kids always want to justify decisions, can't hurt anyone's feelings. Got to be PC!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom