2020 off-season transfers | Page 49 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
So, is it just me not paying attention, or has it been very quiet out on social media as far as which transfers have officially been granted/denied their waiver requests to receive immediate eligibility for the upcoming season?
I was going to post the exact same thing this morning. Other than Mikesell, there have been very little info on granting of transfer requests.

Reaction Score
This only happened one time. I don't know how you can come to a conclusion like that. Chloe Bibby is the only graduate transfer Brenda have signed in her history here at Maryland.
Sad part is i wasn't even thinking of these 2 players when making that comment which proves my original statement correct :)

Reaction Score
I made a mistake. Bibby is not a grad transfer, Benzan is the only one Brenda has signed. I know that some feel that Bibby signed very quickly after she announced her transfer from MSST. Since I know nothing of the recruitment of Bibby, I can't comment on this. One point to mention is Maryland has not signed a lot of transfers in their history since Brenda came on board). They are not like Florida State or Ohio State.
Sade Wiley Gatewood
Benzen
Bibby
MiMi Collins

We dont want to see the list of the players who have transferred out , Its way worse !

Reaction Score
Sade Wiley Gatewood
Benzen
Bibby
MiMi Collins

We dont want to see the list of the players who have transferred out , Its way worse !

About 4 times worse outgoing than incoming.

The only others that was incoming are Katie Rutan (part of Final 4 team), Ieshia Small, Elaina Christinaki and Lori Bjork. I think that's it. Just 8 players until this upcoming season.

Reaction Score
Gaulden has landed at Georgia Southern:

Have to think this was primarily a playing time/distance from home situation. Wish her well. She should really excel in the Sun Belt!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Havas Added to 2020-21 Women’s Basketball Roster

From the GoDuke article.

"Jiselle has impressed me during the preseason with her commitment to this program," said Lawson. "She is someone that has fit in seamlessly with the rest of our team."

In two seasons, Havas drained 29 treys and scored a career-best 15 points versus Monmouth in December of 2018. The 5-10 guard hit three or more three-pointers on three different occasions.

"We are thrilled to have her be a part of our program this season," added Lawson. "Her skill, work ethic and attention to detail will help us be a better team."

Havas was a two-time Patriot League Academic Honor Roll selection at Lafayette. She will major in mechanical engineering at Duke and have two years of eligibility remaining.

Can never have too many women engineers :cool: Our returning PF Onome Akinbode-James is an Electrical Engineering Major. First time I can recall having two engineering majors on the squad.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

Havas Added to 2020-21 Women’s Basketball Roster

From the GoDuke article.

"Jiselle has impressed me during the preseason with her commitment to this program," said Lawson. "She is someone that has fit in seamlessly with the rest of our team."

In two seasons, Havas drained 29 treys and scored a career-best 15 points versus Monmouth in December of 2018. The 5-10 guard hit three or more three-pointers on three different occasions.

"We are thrilled to have her be a part of our program this season," added Lawson. "Her skill, work ethic and attention to detail will help us be a better team."

Havas was a two-time Patriot League Academic Honor Roll selection at Lafayette. She will major in mechanical engineering at Duke and have two years of eligibility remaining.

Can never have too many women engineers :cool: Our returning PF Onome Akinbode-James is an Electrical Engineering Major. First time I can recall having two engineering majors on the squad.

Hey, our walk on is better than your walk on. ;);)

Reaction Score
So. Lawson lets a walk-on play, and heaps praise on her but doesn’t honor any number of scholarships that Duke had offered previously?
I get that a walk-on is only there for one year, but I’m still irked by the entire situation.

Reaction Score
So. Lawson lets a walk-on play, and heaps praise on her but doesn’t honor any number of scholarships that Duke had offered previously?
I get that a walk-on is only there for one year, but I’m still irked by the entire situation.

With Lawson not having any college coaching experience, it is to be expected that she will make mistakes and stumble [likely a lot at the beginning]. Unfortunately for her and Duke, her first mistake was large. While many astute coaches appreciate foreign academies as a solid source of potential talent, a small group of folks still fail to see the value. Of those foreign academy sources, Australia is one of the most important. To unnecessarily burn that bridge [and don’t doubt that it was burned 100% (read the quotes from the Aussie women involved)] at the outset of your first coaching job is not very smart. The damage isn’t limited to Australia. The international basketball community is tight and Australia is well respected. Duke/Lawson better hit at a high % in the USA because they are frozen out overseas. Most major programs [UConn/Baylor/Stanford as examples] pull a quality rotation player from outside the USA [Canada, Australia, Germany, etc.] at least once every five-ish years. Not an overwhelming percentage, but how many years did a championship turn on the contributions of a foreign player at some point during the tournament?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
To unnecessarily burn that bridge [and don’t doubt that it was burned 100% (read the quotes from the Aussie women involved)] at the outset of your first coaching job is not very smart.
Were those quotes in an article? I'd like to read them.

Reaction Score

Mainly the Twitter account of the Group/women [check Samantha Tomlinson] who interface between the Australian basketball academies and US college programs. But there was also one blog/article that I remember that was scathing about all of the scrambling that the players were doing to land a spot. Will see if I have the link.

Reaction Score

pickandroll.com article: Olivia Pollerd is excited to commit to the Blue Devils.

Samantha Tomlinson runs Aussie Basketball USA Pathways (twitter).

I believe Sara completed her grad transfer from Cal to Duke after all that come out. So two Aussies on the team now (along Jr Miela Goodchild). Both girls who decommitted found new teams (Pollerd to UW and Cochrane to Portland).

For Duke Fans.
Subscription Required: The Sit Down with Lou Brown Episode 1 : Sara Anastasieska (I haven't listened yet).

Plebe

Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
pickandroll.com article: Olivia Pollerd is excited to commit to the Blue Devils.

Samantha Tomlinson runs Aussie Basketball USA Pathways (twitter).

I believe Sara completed her grad transfer from Cal to Duke after all that come out. So two Aussies on the team now (along Jr Miela Goodchild). Both girls who decommitted found new teams (Pollerd to UW and Cochrane to Portland).

For Duke Fans.
Subscription Required: The Sit Down with Lou Brown Episode 1 : Sara Anastasieska (I haven't listened yet).
Please catch me up here. When did Lucy Cochrane commit to Duke? I was hoping Lucy gave UCONN consideration but the naysayers on this board guess they would rather have Autumn fill out the obviously short 20-21 roster.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Please catch me up here. When did Lucy Cochrane commit to Duke? I was hoping Lucy gave UCONN consideration but the naysayers on this board guess they would rather have Autumn fill out the obviously short 20-21 roster.

I have no information other than the tweet provided to connect Cochrane to Duke.

So my post should have read:

Both girls mentioned, one of whom decommitted, found new teams (Pollerd to UW and Cochrane to Portland).

Reaction Score
Just now catching up to this destination announcement:

Nikola Kovacikova, who averaged 8 ppg as a sophomore at Georgetown last year, has transferred to Penn:

Two others whose destinations have been announced.
- Briyanah Richardson, the 5-6 guard who transferred from St. Peter's, has landed at Lincoln University (DII). Briyanah Richardson - Women's Basketball - Lincoln University Athletics
- Shanaijah Davison, the 5-6 guard who is transferring from Long Beach State, had signed with Dixie State.

Reaction Score
Google article tells me Cochrane transferred to U of Portland with 3 years of eligibility left.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Two others whose destinations have been announced.
- Briyanah Richardson, the 5-6 guard who transferred from St. Peter's, has landed at Lincoln University (DII). Briyanah Richardson - Women's Basketball - Lincoln University Athletics
- Shanaijah Davison, the 5-6 guard who is transferring from Long Beach State, had signed with Dixie State.
Great finds on these.

Dixie State, in St. George, Utah, is entering its first year as a D-I team (WAC).

That leaves my list (at top of thread) with only 4 portal entrants whose status for next season is not yet known:
Tyeshia Bowers (Chicago State)
Loretta Kakala (Louisville, Pacific)
Alaysia Styles (Cal)
Shamera Williams (Virginia)

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
As had been noted as a possibility, Styles has transferred to Maryland:
Hot off the (Instagram) presses.

So Brenda loses Austin and Mikesell to transfer but gains Benzan, Bibby and Styles.

Will be a very different-looking Terrapins squad this season.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I still can't believe we haven't heard from more transfers if they have received waivers or not to play immediately this season. Other than Mikesell, I can't remember any who indicated they did received a waiver. I recall a Baylor article which indicated their incoming transfers would not be immediately eligible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom