2020 off-season transfers | Page 14 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
Yeah, I thought for UCLA for Slocum right away. The backcourt is kinda not what Neighbors needs right now. I think he'd rather have Taylor Jones but she's obviously not the one available.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Slocum's two other choices before OSU were Arkansas (Neighbors recruited her at UW) and UCLA. If it were between those two, I'd think UCLA has the greater need with the loss of Dean and she has a good relationship with Onyenwere and Close. It seems a bit strange she didn't jump to the WNBA but anyone who wants to further their education is okay by me.
As has been said before in this thread, this may not be the year to go into the WNBA. Not feeling this season, to be honest.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

Holy Sheaskie. what the firetruck? I don't get it, where else is there to go? Top conference in the country-check, one of the top coaches in the country-check, depth at the 4 & 5 positions-check, short list of pre-season All-American's-check. where's @LoTrader or @jonson as we need the inside dope on this....

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow Slocum leaving is massive. Not sure when Beavers have a realistic shot to get back to the Final Four again.

Slocum would slide in perfectly at Baylor and have a real shot for a title. Starting 5 of her, Ursin, Richards, Smith and Egbo would be dynamic. If she stays on the west coast, my guess is she goes to UCLA.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Holy Sheaskie. what the firetruck? I don't get it, where else is there to go? Top conference in the country-check, one of the top coaches in the country-check, depth at the 4 & 5 positions-check, short list of pre-season All-American's-check. where's @LoTrader or @jonson as we need the inside dope on this....

Oregon State likely wasn't competing for a title next year which could be 1 reason. Slocum was good at OSU but she never developed into an AA or POY candidate like many thought she would based off her play at Maryland. She's definitely the top transfer on the market right now.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Oregon State likely wasn't competing for a title next year which could be 1 reason. Slocum was good at OSU but she never developed into an AA or POY candidate like many thought she would based off her play at Maryland. She's definitely the top transfer on the market right now.
I had been skeptical when she transferred because I didn't think her game was an amazing fit for the OSU system. She's dynamic at creating her own shot in traffic, close to unstoppable, but she's not an especially distributor-minded PG and she rarely sought to pass out when she went into traffic to shoot, so there wasn't much for others to do on a lot of the plays where the ball came off of her. I just re-watched the Stanford-OSU PAC-12 quarterfinal and OSU had 1 assist in the first half.

Last edited:

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I've always been of the opinion that student-athletes should be allowed to transfer as they see fit in order to find their "happiness"; and, sometimes that involves following sit-out and intra-conference transfer rules.

But, when a student-athlete is on the verge of enrolling in their third different school in 4-5 years, it just makes me wonder if they even know what they are looking for to make them happy. It used to be that the grad-transfer rule required the SA to only be able to be eligible immediately if they selected a school which provided a graduate field of study which their undergraduate school did not provide; back then, at least there was some vibe that it was academic-related.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I've always been of the opinion that student-athletes should be allowed to transfer as they see fit in order to find their "happiness"; and, sometimes that involves following sit-out and intra-conference transfer rules.

But, when a student-athlete is on the verge of enrolling in their third different school in 4-5 years, it just makes me wonder if they even know what they are looking for to make them happy. It used to be that the grad-transfer rule required the SA to only be able to be eligible immediately if they selected a school which provided a graduate field of study which their undergraduate school did not provide; back then, at least there was some vibe that it was academic-related.

It's why I think the 1x transfer rule makes sense. Question though...do most grad transfers actually take classes toward a master or do they continue to take undergraduate classes?

Because here's my thought:
1. If a player is enrolling in a master's program but has zero intention of actually finishing, they shouldn't enroll to begin with or should be forced to pay the money back if they don't finish within a certain number of years. It's just wasted money and wasting a spot that could go to someone who does want to enroll in that master's program.

2. If a grad transfer is just taking more undergrad classes to pursue a double major or minor, then that's more acceptable but I don't think most schools will give you a 2nd degree if you've only taken 1 year's worth of credits at that school.

Reaction Score
Young players are going to be dealt a blow when they cannot just up and leave a well paying company, twice!, for greener pastures in the post collegiate world.

Reaction Score
She gave them 15 points a game. No back court for OSU now.

Reaction Score
I don't know any of the circumstances of Slocum's transfer from Maryland but I do seem to recall she said she was homesick, but Oregon isn't all that close to Idaho. Nonetheless, she fulfilled her commitment to OSU and is moving on as a graduate student so I really don't see the problem.

According to her bio, she's a digital media major and if she gets her masters from UCLA or USC, the connects she makes would be incredible. UCLA's MFA program has a 5% acceptance rate and is one of the best in the nation. USC's Roski is also good but a possible connection is that Trakh has been recruiting her sister.

Reaction Score
Ruecks deliberate system was not a good fit for her.

Reaction Score
I don't know any of the circumstances of Slocum's transfer from Maryland but I do seem to recall she said she was homesick, but Oregon isn't all that close to Idaho. Nonetheless, she fulfilled her commitment to OSU and is moving on as a graduate student so I really don't see the problem.

According to her bio, she's a digital media major and if she gets her masters from UCLA or USC, the connects she makes would be incredible. UCLA's MFA program has a 5% acceptance rate and is one of the best in the nation. USC's Roski is also good but a possible connection is that Trakh has been recruiting her sister.
She retracted her statement on homesickness. She said any program west of the Mississippi the first time she transferred.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I don't think continuing to take undergrad courses while a grad student is an option. I've read some articles at various times about the grad transfer phenomenon. It's really never been about academics (edited--of course there are always some exceptions). Just greener pastures for final year of eligibility. The majority of grad transfers do not complete their grad program. I'm not really a big fan of it. It is and has always been the equivalent of free agency for college athletes.

Reaction Score
I’ve heard rumors that another shoe is about to drop for the Beavers from the other end of the height spectrum. Scott’s got his work cut out for him.

Reaction Score
I’ve heard rumors that another shoe is about to drop for the Beavers from the other end of the height spectrum. Scott’s got his work cut out for him.

That awful weather might impact some players.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I know nothing, but I'm still surprised Taylor Jones (DFW) went so far away for school. I recall there were some sad family medical situations that had given me the feeling that she would stay a bit closer to her family for college.

Reaction Score
I know nothing, but I'm still surprised Taylor Jones (DFW) went so far away for school. I recall there were some sad family medical situations that had given me the feeling that she would stay a bit closer to her family for college.
Correct, her mother passed away roughly a year and a half ago I think. Her sister played for Southern Utah, but medically retired I think. She may have wanted to get away though, her finalists were Florida State and UCLA.

Brown is also likely to redshirt I’d assume.

Reaction Score
Correct, her mother passed away roughly a year and a half ago I think. Her sister played for Southern Utah, but medically retired I think. She may have wanted to get away though, her finalists were Florida State and UCLA.

Brown is also likely to redshirt I’d assume.

Yes, FSU made a strong push for Jones. I was not aware of her family situation, that is tough.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Yeah, very unfortunate. Her father (and maybe other family members) were all Aggies. He'd tweet apologies to the Aggie faithful every time he and Taylor were visiting Texas for football games and basketball games (which seemed to happen often her sophomore year). Then, seemed like her recruitment went in a different direction for whatever reason.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't think continuing to take undergrad courses while a grad student is an option. I've read some articles at various times about the grad transfer phenomenon. It's really never been about academics (edited--of course there are always some exceptions). Just greener pastures for final year of eligibility. The majority of grad transfers do not complete their grad program. I'm not really a big fan of it. It is and has always been the equivalent of free agency for college athletes.
Free agency? Coaches get it and I believe players deserve it also, just not to the point of it ruining the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom