2020 off-season transfers | Page 15 | The Boneyard

2020 off-season transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Big loss for Nebraska here.

This article quotes her as saying she wants to go "closer to home." She is from a town in northern Indiana named Auburn, which is just north of Fort Wayne. I wonder if Muffet would have any interest.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know nothing, but I'm still surprised Taylor Jones (DFW) went so far away for school. I recall there were some sad family medical situations that had given me the feeling that she would stay a bit closer to her family for college.
Tell us why you think it is Jones besides that?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Slocum's two other choices before OSU were Arkansas (Neighbors recruited her at UW) and UCLA. If it were between those two, I'd think UCLA has the greater need with the loss of Dean and she has a good relationship with Onyenwere and Close. It seems a bit strange she didn't jump to the WNBA but anyone who wants to further their education is okay by me.

Neighbors has said that he is not looking for players to come in this year to compete for starting spots and disrupt team chemistry. He’s got Dungee, Ramirez, and RS Sr Jailyn Mason coming back, along with Soph Makayla Daniels at PG, who started every game this season. They also have Elauna Eaton coming in. So even despite losing Gaulden and Doumbia, barring injury I don’t think the Hogs will be thin at G this coming season. My guess is that if Neighbors is looking at players with immediate eligibility, he’s looking at improving depth or bringing in a big. More likely, I think he’s looking at players who’ll probably have to sit out the coming year and then start or compete for time in 2021-22. Just a guess.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
In reading the article about Leigha Brown, I discovered another transfer name I hadn't known: 6'2" sophomore Ashtyn Verbeek (7.4 ppg and 4.3 rpg) has transferred to Dordt University (NAIA) in Sioux Center, Iowa.

Verbeek was the HG #68 recruit in the class of 2018, and she had chosen Nebraska over Iowa, South Dakota State, South Dakota, Creighton, Drake, Arizona State and Missouri. At Dordt she'll be reuniting with a former high school teammate and one of her high school coaches.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I know nothing, but I'm still surprised Taylor Jones (DFW) went so far away for school. I recall there were some sad family medical situations that had given me the feeling that she would stay a bit closer to her family for college.
Lorcan might enjoy entertaining rumors about a big leaving OSU, and there might well be one, but it won't be Jones and it won't be Brown. If any one at all, I'd guess it would be Patricia Morris, but it's just a guess.

Reaction Score
Not that any of this makes sense but if a big were to leave OSU, first guess would obviously be Aquino.

ETA: it's their Australian Center Lucy Cochrane. Stand corrected. Cochrane is Oregon.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My thought was maybe the same mistake was made in the first place by the person (or persons) who began the story that Oregon State will lose a tall player...ie. they confused Cochrane of Oregon as being from Oregon State from the get go.

Reaction Score
Yes, and the right choice for her imo. She was the last person off the bench this season and I don't think there was much chance that things would have improved had she stayed.
She seemed really raw when Australia beat USA the one year. She looked like a great shot blocker, but was very thin. With Watson, Dugalic, Giomi, Sabally, and Prince, she was theoretically never going to get "her turn."

Would be cool to see her land at Portland, and join their extensive collection of Aussies.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling this kid won't be happy where ever she goes.
Slocum is actually an extremely positive young woman who volunteered a lot in the Corvallis community on her own time, including baking food and taking the baked items to area homeless shelters. Very well liked and well spoken. If you had met her and/or heard others talk about her, you would like how she treats others and represents the program. She should blend in well with whichever program is fortunate enough to sign her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Slocum is actually an extremely positive young woman who volunteered a lot in the Corvallis community on her own time, including baking food and taking the baked items to area homeless shelters. Very well liked and well spoken. If you had met her and/or heard others talk about her, you would like how she treats others and represents the program. She should blend in well with whichever program is fortunate enough to sign her.
People often confuse players on the court and off. Most players are generally good people. Being critical about a player on the court is no reflection of how they are as people. She certainly seemed like a very upbeat cheerful and from what you say a generous individual who would be easy to be around and would make an excellent friend.

However, I was never a fan of her playing style. It seems like she adjusted really well the first half of the season but then for whatever reason regressed to her play of last year. To often these habits are picked up while in high school when players usually are much better than everyone around them and have to carry their teams. She is making a mistake leaving. The very reason she is leaving is the very reason it would be in her best interests long term to stay. She needs to get more experience playing in a structured offense. She will need that at the next level.

Reaction Score
I had been skeptical when she transferred because I didn't think her game was an amazing fit for the OSU system. She's dynamic at creating her own shot in traffic, close to unstoppable, but she's not an especially distributor-minded PG and she rarely sought to pass out when she went into traffic to shoot, so there wasn't much for others to do on a lot of the plays where the ball came off of her. I just re-watched the Stanford-OSU PAC-12 quarterfinal and OSU had 1 assist in the first half.
You pretty much summed it up. Ironically she started off the season playing really well, so I know she is capable of doing so. She created offensive flow and got other players involved. Somewhere down the line she decided that she wanted to play her way which was her always being the first option. The ball and offensive flow disappeared. Basically she and Pivec took turns playing one on one. That is what cost them any AA mentions. With Pivec dropping to honorable mention and Slocum totally disappearing. I don't think them being on the court together was in either of their best interests. Pivec seemed to make a positive adjustment in her last few games but Slocum did not. I think she decided halfway through the season that she was going to play her way or no way.

I don't think there is a spot for her at UCLA. Even though they have Charisma Osborne listed as a forward, she is really a point guard. They also had another freshman point who was a McAA. They really do not need her that much. I also think that she would have a hard time playing for Kim Mulkey because Destiny is not a good defender although she improved considerably from last season. She is definitely not up to Kims standards in a variety of things. Kim gives her players far fewer latitude than Scott does.

Reaction Score
Slocum is a major get for any program. I too am surprised she is leaving, even as a graduate transfer. I saw her at Maryland her freshman year and thought she was talented but needed to grow up some. Perhaps she still has some room to grow and wants to do it elsewhere.

With her other classmates coming out for the draft perhaps she felt she wasn't going to be a first round choice where as next year if she plays well she's likely a higher choice. Of course we still don't know if we will have a season but staying in school is probably the right call for her this time.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Big loss for Nebraska here.

This article quotes her as saying she wants to go "closer to home." She is from a town in northern Indiana named Auburn, which is just north of Fort Wayne. I wonder if Muffet would have any interest.

Wow, she certainly can fill it up!

However, this possible Nebraska transfer does not initially look like a necessary fit for MM and the Irish.

Why? She's a 6'1" wing who does most of her damage with a jumper. Sound familiar? That's 6'2" Sam Brunelle. On top of that, the Irish have 6'0" Alli Campbell coming to campus who also can fill it up from outside. And there's also Maddy Westbeld, the 6'3" forward who has both inside and outside qualitites. to her game.

If the Irish could use anything right now, it could be a ball distributor PG to partner with Alasia Hayes for a year (or more, depending on who it is) or a grad student forward who can help pound the paint with/in place of Mik Vaughn.

Regarding Ms. Brown, she chose Nebraska over Xavier, Belmont, Western Michigan, Wright State, Indiana State, Youngstown State, American and IUPUI. Nebraska was the only P5 school on her initial list and she obviously has shown she can play at that level.

Michigan and Michigan State are virtualy equidistant from Ft. Wayne (140 miles), with Purdue a tinge under that and Indiana a bit over it. I'm sure all of those schools would have an interest in an accomplished scorer.

IU is losing Brenna Wise (the former Pitt transfer) and Brown could work for one year with Ali Patberg at the small forward, then Grace Berger afterwards.

Reaction Score
Lorcan might enjoy entertaining rumors about a big leaving OSU, and there might well be one, but it won't be Jones and it won't be Brown. If any one at all, I'd guess it would be Patricia Morris, but it's just a guess.
What is Lorcans allegiance to? What is Lorcans track record?

Reaction Score
My allegiance is subject to much debate. I have been a massive supporter of what Rueck has done in Corvallis, and celebrated his humongous wins. I recall his stunner over Baylor in the tournament, and I’m always happy to see his teams do well.

I merely was stating that I’ve seen rumours in multiple locations of a big leaving OSU. I won’t divulge beyond that. My track record is tenuous at best, but sometimes I say useful things.

Reaction Score
Has anything been released as to where Mabrey from Louisiana Tech might end up?

Plebe

Reaction Score
One of the Auburn transfers, Erin Howard, is joining Sara Bejedi in the transfer parade to Tallahassee.

Reaction Score
One of the Auburn transfers, Erin Howard, is joining Sara Bejedi in the transfer parade to Tallahassee.

Raoul also posted their JUCO commit, D'Asia Gregg, has reopened her recruitment.

Reaction Score
People often confuse players on the court and off. Most players are generally good people. Being critical about a player on the court is no reflection of how they are as people. She certainly seemed like a very upbeat cheerful and from what you say a generous individual who would be easy to be around and would make an excellent friend.

However, I was never a fan of her playing style. It seems like she adjusted really well the first half of the season but then for whatever reason regressed to her play of last year. To often these habits are picked up while in high school when players usually are much better than everyone around them and have to carry their teams. She is making a mistake leaving. The very reason she is leaving is the very reason it would be in her best interests long term to stay. She needs to get more experience playing in a structured offense. She will need that at the next level.
No confusion here. I do recognize that willtalk doesn't care for Slocum's style of play at the point guard position. The truth is that there are very few collegiate point guards that will get you 15 points and 5 assists per game in the OSU grind-it-out halfcourt offensive system. Slocum did that on 30 minutes per game and 45% shooting from the field.

I agree with the other posters who wondered about Slocum's fit in Rueck's very controlled offensive system. She ran what Rueck asked her to run and sat on the bench during crunch time when Rueck wanted to rein her in. And he did that with uncommon frequency for a player that likely would be drafted in the first two rounds later this month if she entered the draft instead of playing one more year in college.

Although I would like to see her lead OSU next season, I don't believe she is making a mistake by leaving Corvallis. She has her degree and should find a program that will allow her greater freedom to push the ball and exploit opposing defenses off the bounce and in transition. Look for her scoring and assists to rise significantly next season.

Reaction Score
Has anything been released as to where Mabrey from Louisiana Tech might end up?

Do you mean Dara Mabrey from Virginia Tech? If so, I haven't read anything. Some believe that she may head to ND, but we will see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom