2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 14 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Things also got a little more interesting now that Andrews and Gusters are HS teammates. Could they be a college package deal? Also my understanding that Gusters left a Baylor Alumni as high school coach for a Texas alumni as HS coach.

Adding to that: Texas de-committ Deja Kelly just transferred from San Antonio to Duncansville. And the circles intersect! :confused:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
I'm really interested to see how this PG heavy 2020 class goes with their recruitment and commitment. We may have a situation where none of them commit until the 1st one does and then the dominos will fall. Could be a long waiting game for some.

You've got to think that a number of college coaches hope the initial decision comes sooner, rather than later. Hearing right before/during the early signing period leaves a lot of programs with their pockets empty and no change in sight.

Not that UConn is interested here, but you've got to think that a Kylee Watson plan would appeal to many: keep seeing campuses on unofficials and play for coaches that come to practices/games/showcases in the winter; take OVs in April and make a decision in later spring. Player gets to enjoy last year of AAU summers and HS ball; chosen coach puts a checkmark (and smile) on his/her list; and, coaches not chosen have time to work on/find alternative plans.

We'll see....:cool:

Reaction Score
I'm really interested to see how this PG heavy 2020 class goes with their recruitment and commitment. We may have a situation where none of them commit until the 1st one does and then the dominos will fall. Could be a long waiting game for some.
This may be a unique year where Geno goes after 2 or more. A lot of top point guards and big futuru
as long as UConn gets one of the top four I'll be OK but not getting PB would still be a major disappointment
Since most are good shooters, would not be a surprise to see Geno offer 2-3 and get 2. Easy to interchange PG's and SG's and to create an intense, quick defense. Having two MOJEFF like players out there at a time would be fun to watch.

Reaction Score
Things also got a little more interesting now that Andrews and Gusters are HS teammates. Could they be a college package deal? Also my understanding that Gusters left a Baylor Alumni as high school coach for a Texas alumni as HS coach.

I think you got that backwards. Duncanville is the Texas coach and Irving is the BU coach. Odyssey and Alexis both attended. However, I don't know if they will be a package deal, but that could be icing on the cake for the right coach.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
12/19

Sonia Citron continued her hot start with 29 points (12-20 FG) and 16 rebounds.

Dalayah Daniels ('20) had 14 points and 12 rebounds.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mark Lewis with some notes from day 1 of the Nike TOC that began Wednesday. Just try not to cry when reading about Haley Jones who, a loss to Cameron Brink aside, has been phenomenal early in her senior season.

Nike Tournament of Champions - Day One - Bluestar Media
I expect nothing less from Haley, though I'm surprised that her team lost. Yeah, I'm really disappointed about not getting her, but it's impossible to dislike that kid.

MTC

Reaction Score
Geno seemed so cool during their close match with Oklahoma really impressed me. I wonder if he will be more aggressive recruiting now that they had such an off night on the road.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sounds like CD will be at the TOC today. Any targets other than Fudd playing?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
12/19
Sonia Citron continued her hot start with 29 points (12-20 FG) and 16 rebounds.
Dalayah Daniels ('20) had 14 points and 12 rebounds.
We keep seeing high rebound numbers for Citron. She is listed at 6'1". Did we ever get any indication of her level of competition in HS?

Reaction Score
Brooke Demetre, Natalija Marshall. Also Brink & Jones, but they’re no longer targets. Hoping to get out to see some Fri-Sat, still getting out of Okla today.

Last edited:

Dillon77

Reaction Score
We keep seeing high rebound numbers for Citron. She is listed at 6'1". Did we ever get any indication of her level of competition in HS?

I think Charlie responded to this, but I can't find that post. A look at the schedule (linked below) shows a mixture of Westchester-lower NY State teams, combined with some other Catholic schools and a venture into nearby Connecticut (New Rochelle is sitting on the NY-Conn. border). They do play Ossining twice later in the season, which will be interesting for comparison sakes. Have also put a link to the local paper which has a story and picture of Sonia on the recent win. Nice form on the jumper.

The Ursuline School, New Rochelle, NY: Teams & Schedules
Slam Dunk Tournament: Sonia Citron, Ursuline dominate in 72-42 win over Rye

BTW, Ms. Citron is starting to pop up on recruiting boards and other such blogs related to ND recruiting.
This would continue MM/Niele's recent ventures into the NYC-metro area (Dani Patterson, Jordan Nixon, Danielle Cosgrove).

Last edited:

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I expect nothing less from Haley, though I'm surprised that her team lost. Yeah, I'm really disappointed about not getting her, but it's impossible to dislike that kid.

Digressing just a bit, I was reading some final four transcripts the other day and came across this Q & A with Geno when UConn and Stanford were in the FF in 2009. Except for the ice and broken ankle, I expect a similar answer about Haley in a few years.

Q. I know the story of Jayne Appel's recruiting trip has been talked about a lot. Can you revisit that one more time, her visit to Storrs?

COACH AURIEMMA: Yeah, any time you're recruiting a kid from California, you know, you're taking a huge risk to get somebody to travel 3,000 miles to go to college when there's so many good alternatives on the West Coast and then you've got to fly over a lot of good alternatives to get to our place.

But you don't count on snow and ice and all that other good stuff waiting for you when you get there. And you certainly, when you're having shoot-around the day of the game, don't expect to see security guards and police come in and lead your recruit, telling you that we've got a problem. And you realize that her father's in the hospital going to have screws into his ankle because he broke it getting into your building. That's not the winning edge, I don't think. Except we showed off that we have good doctors.

But even if that hadn't happened, how could you pass up a chance to go to Stanford if you're a West Coast kid and they really want you bad? It's a risk that we take and sometimes we win and sometimes we lose. And I thought wherever Jayne went she was going to be what she is today.
Because people think recruiting is difficult. It's not that difficult. You watch kids play AU when they're 16 and the ones that beat the hell out of all the other 16-year-olds end up doing it when they're 18, 19, and 20. That's what she did when she was in high school and that's what she's doing now. I wish she was just doing it for us.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hmmmm, again, any other targets?
Kidding, sort of. I think Demetre has a Stanford offer. Are we to go down that road again?
:DPer your last post and quoting Geno: It's a risk that we take and sometimes we win and sometimes we lose."

Reaction Score
I asked that same question Tuesday. Charlie seems to think it's OK. Ossining, Albertus Magnus, mostly SE NY I guess.

Reaction Score
I was hoping to see Lynwood from LA in the TOC, not sure if she’s a Uconn Target, but 6’3 Rayah Marshall is indeed playing G/F/C for her high school team, she was off to a hot start putting up 25 and 14.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
The Buffalo News' 10 western NY players to watch this year:

Amari DeBerry

The 6-5 sophomore forward from Williamsville South is a dominating, game-changing inside presence and considered the No. 2 player in the nation for her graduating class by ESPN. A returning All-WNY first-team selection, she has offers from a who’s who in college basketball, including Connecticut. DeBerry averaged 18.8 points and 8.8 rebounds last season in helping the Billies reach the New York State Public High Schools Athletic Association Class A Final Four.

Ten girls basketball players to watch in WNY this season

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Taylor Bigby who UConn scouted a few months ago. Chris Hansen of PN mentioned her in his day 1 recap. Just skip over the Jones/Brink stuff if you have a weak stomach.

Keep an eye on class of 2021 wing Taylor Bigby of Centennial (Nev.) in upcoming evaluations. She is a 6-1 athlete who is merely scratching the surface of her potential. She showed a nice blend of open floor speed and half-court skill in an opening round match-up versus Salesian (Calif.).

Nike TOC: Desert Dandies | Prospects Nation

Reaction Score
The Buffalo News' 10 western NY players to watch this year:

Amari DeBerry

The 6-5 sophomore forward from Williamsville South is a dominating, game-changing inside presence and considered the No. 2 player in the nation for her graduating class by ESPN. A returning All-WNY first-team selection, she has offers from a who’s who in college basketball, including Connecticut. DeBerry averaged 18.8 points and 8.8 rebounds last season in helping the Billies reach the New York State Public High Schools Athletic Association Class A Final Four.

If UConn strikes out again in 2020 I have some confidence that Ms DeBerry will be UConn bound in 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom