2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 10 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
it appears Angel Reece the ESPN number one ranked wing is not targeting UConn..............I do appreciate her specificity although I'm not sure she is correct in her assumptions.........

"One of the nation’s top recruits in the Class of 2020, Reese is considering Baylor, Louisville, Maryland, Rutgers, South Carolina, Syracuse, Tennessee, Texas, UCLA and Virginia. She whittled that list down from nearly three dozen offers from top Division I programs.

Reese, a versatile 6-foot-3 player whose goal is to play in the WNBA, wants to compete for a program in a Power 5 Conference, but she said she also looked at schools strong in her intended major, kinesiology and sports medicine. Then, she considered a number of other factors.

“For coaching style, all the schools play fast paced. Anybody can bring the ball down. It doesn’t matter about position,” she said. “I had other places like UConn and Notre Dame, but I’m looking for somewhere I can play my freshman year and get the most out of my four years. That was a big thing for me also and playing for a coach who can get me to the next level.”

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
it appears Angel Reece the ESPN number one ranked wing is not targeting UConn....I do appreciate her specificity although I'm not sure she is correct in her assumptions....

"One of the nation’s top recruits in the Class of 2020, Reese is considering Baylor, Louisville, Maryland, Rutgers, South Carolina, Syracuse, Tennessee, Texas, UCLA and Virginia. She whittled that list down from nearly three dozen offers from top Division I programs.

Reese, a versatile 6-foot-3 player whose goal is to play in the WNBA, wants to compete for a program in a Power 5 Conference, but she said she also looked at schools strong in her intended major, kinesiology and sports medicine. Then, she considered a number of other factors.

“For coaching style, all the schools play fast paced. Anybody can bring the ball down. It doesn’t matter about position,” she said. “I had other places like UConn and Notre Dame, but I’m looking for somewhere I can play my freshman year and get the most out of my four years. That was a big thing for me also and playing for a coach who can get me to the next level.”
Not everyone plays fast paced, and no one runs the break as well as UConn.

Christyn Williams is averaging a team-leading 33.8 minutes per game as a freshman.

Geno has about 14 former players in the WNBA and 5 on Team USA, by far the most.

So, obviously I disagree with Angel. I think Brenda has convinced her of alternative facts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Lol. I'm thinking SC won't have much playing time open for her if all the 2019 recruits stick around

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I agree, I also think she plays AAU ball on the adidas circuit instead of the Nike EYBL circuit, the last player from the state of Washington was the great Angie Bjorklund, hopefully Hailey Van Lith will be better prepared for college.
If Hailey Van Lith is not playing against tough competition on a regular basis in high school, she may not want to do the same thing in college by playing in the AAC. That may be a problem in getting her to commit to UConn .

Reaction Score
If Hailey Van Lith is not playing against tough competition on a regular basis in high school, she may not want to do the same thing in college by playing in the AAC. That may be a problem in getting her to commit to UConn .

I think playing in the AAC is certainly not a great recruiting lure for recruits........for some it may even be a turn off but it's not like UConn plays an entirely cream puff schedule when you include out of conference play...............she's still going to play against many of the best top twenty teams and some of those games will be nationally televised

Reaction Score

UConn's strength of schedule is in the Top 3 virtually every year! IF Hailey Van Lith doesn't come to UConn it is not because of SOS.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Interesting point.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Haley Jones is going to Stanford because among all the reasons at the top of the list is she wanted to stay close to home. period. end of story
What does that have to do with my post?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Haley Jones is going to Stanford because among all the reasons at the top of the list is she wanted to stay close to home. period. end of story
Top of the list maybe but definitely not end of story. Haley also cited teammates & being challenged night in and night out and playing in a conference like the Pac 12 as reasons for her choice. That interview was posted here.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
Proximity to a world-class university where family and friends could watch her play and Haley’s long-term relationship with Tara and staff were the deciding factors, not SOS.
Did you read my post? I never stated that SOS was the deciding factor. See Coco's post. It was one of them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Two questions: 1. Are we looking at/offered to any 2020 bigs other than Gusters?
2. Does anyone know of any interest (from either side) between UCONN and Priscilla Williams or Sarah Andrews?
I saw @Sluconn Husky answer and have a slightly different take. I'm assuming by "2020 bigs" you mean post players. In Slu's answer I think Daniels ends up playing on the wing in college therefore I don't think UCONN is looking any other post in 2020. The 6'6" Cardosa is out there but have not heard of any UCONN interest in her. 2021 has DeBerry.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UConn probably needs nine players in the next two classes in one form or another. I'd like to hear a few more names come up. Perhaps we're seeing more outreach with unranked Lauren Jensen now being watched.
One name that has come up and has been sort of forgotten is this young lady- Emily Bessoir.

IMO she could crack the top 5 in the 2020 class if she decides to come state side.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Yes it was. It was not in this interview it was a different interview same day.
Basketball: Stanford lands Mitty star Haley Jones
At the end Haley speaks to playing in Pac 12 and being challenged night in and night out.
Haley is a smart person. I expected that she would notice that UConn practices are harder than any games that Stanford plays.

I don’t take that to be a slam at the UConn schedule, but rather a pro-Pac-12 statement from a kid who grew up in Pac-12 territory.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Haley is a smart person. I expected that she would notice that UConn practices are harder than any games that Stanford plays.
I don’t take that to be a slam at the UConn schedule, but rather a pro-Pac-12 statement from a kid who grew up in Pac-12 territory.
I was stunned when I heard the last part of that video. If I was recruiting against UCONN this is exactly the talking point I would have whispered in a recruit's ear over and over again: "The Pac 12 (or any other P5 conference) is competitive and you get challenged night in and night out." As you said Haley is very smart and could have figured that out on her own but it sure didn't sound like it. I suspected that this has been part of the Anti-UCONN pitch to recruits since being stuck in the God awful conference. To hear a recruit repeating the anti-UCONN pitch is very bad news.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Another 5-star game for Paige Bueckers Saturday (12/15). She scored 30 points as Hopkins won in a rout.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom