2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 8 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We have typically done well with top talent with recovering knee issues (ie. Gabby).

I have no doubt that UConn does as good a job as can be done with injury prevention but the reality is only the big guy upstairs can fully prevent an injury and I'm not even 100% sure about that.........

Reaction Score
Very good comparisons. Not to muddy the waters but I would add a fourth and rank them this way.
Paige, Caitlin, Hailey, Sarah. What elevates Caitlin above the other two is her ability to shoot the ball from mid range and deep- she a Sue Bird quality shooter and game manager.
Just kind of speculating. If you've got a couple of big, mobile posts up front, and given that Fudd and Bueckers are both around 5-11, AND you hit the golden trifecta, I'd like to see what a grouping of those 4 plus Andrews could do with Griffin available to rotate in. That's a lot of court coverage and savvy right there.

Reaction Score
You know this how?

because you said so............

" Obviously I disagree and we have had this conversation before. An offer to a third point guard would be a contingency offer i.e, we are offering you just in case the other two say no. UCONN doesn't make contingency offers. If Paige and Hailey both say no to UCONN the starting PG in 2021 will be Christyn Williams and Aubrey Griffin will be the SG. Mikayla Coombs will rotate between the two positions."

Reaction Score
Have you calculated how many players UConn will have on it's roster next year and then in 2020? Nobody is saying not to target Geno's kind of players but normally there are at least three or four that are exact fits and the odds of getting the majority of those are not that great.... you really have no choice but to find a few more that meet most of the criteria......after all isn't that far better then looking for grad students and transfers that you had no interest in before?
Charlie, I think after doing the math on open scholarships, most would have to agree with your premise. We can disagree on the exact number, but bringing in more this or next year still fits within Geno's philosophy. There have to be at least 2-3 top players in each type of recruiting slot to target. In some years, Geno has had 5 scholarships accepted similar to SC this year. Not sure why some see to think bringing in a larger number is any different now or anything other than positive for the program.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Gusters is now her high school teammate.
I saw that and here is why that might not bee good news for UCONN.
If you look at the list of recent transfers from UCONN several were also players that walked away from their high school programs.
Courtney Ekmark-Home schooled her senior year.
Dejane Boykin-change high school to be with her brother.
Sadie Edwards-changed HS in CT to Blair Academy in NJ
AEH-Ossining to Blair then back to Ossining for senior year.
Additionally there must be something in the water at Duncanville that might be creating commitment issues.
The last few players out of that HS Cierra Johnson walked away from Louisville after 1 year and Zarielle Green changed her commitment from Kansas to TN at the 11th hour.

Reaction Score
Charlie, I think after doing the math on open scholarships, most would have to agree with your premise. We can disagree on the exact number, but bringing in more this or next year still fits within Geno's philosophy. There have to be at least 2-3 top players in each type of recruiting slot to target. In some years, Geno has had 5 scholarships accepted similar to SC this year. Not sure why some see to think bringing in a larger number is any different now or anything other than positive for the program.

I think most do understand but a few can't imagine that there are more then three or four recruits that meet the stringent criteria set by UConn...............I'm not buying what they're selling but in the end we just have to watch and wonder.............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
because you said so..

" Obviously I disagree and we have had this conversation before. An offer to a third point guard would be a contingency offer i.e, we are offering you just in case the other two say no. UCONN doesn't make contingency offers. If Paige and Hailey both say no to UCONN the starting PG in 2021 will be Christyn Williams and Aubrey Griffin will be the SG. Mikayla Coombs will rotate between the two positions."
No I didn't! Stop it! See the bolded part of the post below. The last 4 words are really really important for you to comprehend!
Ah... you are confused again or pretending to be. A world of difference between evaluating and making offers. UCONN will certainly evaluate Andrews because she can ball. I don't do the social media stalking thing so I not sure what's the significance of UCONN "following" Andrews. I hope UCONN evaluates Kapinus not sure she ends up being a PG at the college level more wing or SG. UCONN also evaluated Caitlin Clark and Tehina PaoPao via USA basketball trials. There was a recent post here linking UCONN to Kateri Poole.
So UCONN will end up evaluating as many as 6 players who can play the PG position in the the 2020 class alone. 6 Evaluations resulted in 2 offers SO FAR-THAT WE KNOW ABOUT. Respect the work and the evaluations. One of the key evaluations is versatility meaning UCONN might not necessarily be locked in to PG. I'm sure UCONN is comfortable with the offers they have out there t and you might as well learn to be as well.

Reaction Score
No I didn't! Stop it! See the bolded part of the post below. The last 4 words are really really important for you to comprehend!

in my opinion those are the four best guards out there period.................any one of them could easily handle either guard position.................I don't care how you want to categorize them...............UConn would be wise to make an additional offer.........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Bringing in larger number is not only a positive thing it is an imperative for the program. What some (me especially) are objecting to is the @Charliebball way of bringing in those players. This approach sucks. His original post which has since been edited stated:

2020 has to be like Noah's Ark....UConn has to offer at minimum two from every position, three for point guard....they simply have no choice if they want a 3-4 player class.

What he wants desperately is for UCONN to offer the top two players (3 PGs) at each position in the 2020 class.
That would be 11 indiscriminate offers for the class of 2020 only. Hopefully you can spot the bad ASSumptions: 1) Typically there are not 11 players in a class that can make an impact at UCONN. 2) The rankings are often wrong or incomplete. 3) Team fit which is the number 1 criterion in UCONN recruiting would be ignored or minimized. 4) Not all top ranked player are interested in playing at UCONN, he wants to use the offer to gauge interest...... 5) What happens if 11 offers are accepted. 6) What happens if say 5 of the 11 offers are accepted and it is not the 5 that UCONN really wants or need to be successful.
There is nothing wrong with the current process where UCONN evaluates and selectively offers the players it believes will fit in, are interested in coming to UCONN and can contribute to the continue success of the team.
The results of the 2019 UCONN recruiting class is not an indication that UCONN's recruiting approach has failed so drastically that it needs to become more like Louisville.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
in my opinion those are the four best guards out there period.......any one of them could easily handle either guard position.......I don't care how you want to categorize them.....UConn would be wise to make an additional offer....
What happens if all three say yes to UCONN? Don't see andrews being able to play SG. I think @TitleTown got this one correct ,she is a PG in the mold of Crystal.

Reaction Score
Bringing in larger number is not only a positive thing it is an imperative for the program. What some (me especially) are objecting to is the @Charliebball way of bringing in those players. This approach sucks. His original post which has since been edited stated:

What he wants desperately is for UCONN to offer the top two players (3 PGs) at each position in the 2020 class.
That would be 11 indiscriminate offers for the class of 2020 only. Hopefully you can spot the bad ASSumptions: 1) Typically there are not 11 players in a class that can make an impact at UCONN. 2) The rankings are often wrong or incomplete. 3) Team fit which is the number 1 criterion in UCONN recruiting would be ignored or minimized. 4) Not all top ranked player are interested in playing at UCONN, he wants to use the offer to gauge interest. 5) What happens if 11 offers are accepted. 6) What happens if say 5 of the 11 offers are accepted and it is not the 5 that UCONN really wants or need to be successful.
There is nothing wrong with the current process where UCONN evaluates and selectively offers the players it believes will fit in, are interested in coming to UCONN and can contribute to the continue success of the team.
The results of the 2019 UCONN recruiting class is not an indication that UCONN's recruiting approach has failed so drastically that it needs to become more like Louisville.

I think everybody is getting tired of our bickering about this, I know I am.......................I've certainly made my thoughts abundantly clear.................I very much hope that UConn gets every single player that they offer in the 2020 class............if they don't then they just might have to continue checking other team's rosters for grads and malcontents...............so be it.........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think everybody is getting tired of our bickering about this, I know I am........I've certainly made my thoughts abundantly clear.......I very much hope that UConn gets every single player that they offer in the 2020 class..if they don't then they just might have to continue checking other team's rosters for grads and malcontents.....so be it....
You aren't tired enough to take another parting shot though right?
Didn't realize that UCONN had started "checking other team's rosters for grads and malcontents".
What is the next step down for UCONN in your mind, trolling the NJ Shore conference for players?

Reaction Score
You aren't tired enough to take another parting shot though right?
Didn't realize that UCONN had started "checking other team's rosters for grads and malcontents".
What is the next step down for UCONN in your mind, trolling the NJ Shore conference for players?

hmmmmmmm...........you have...........did I not see you mention that a certain Florida State player from CT has one more year of eligibility as a grad student? Was that statement made as a simple public service or in the context of a UConn player shortfall next season? As far as the NJ Shore Conference is concerned, UConn could have done far worse for 2019 then adding Diamond Miller or Faith Mansonius to the roster........let's wait and compare them to any additional players UConn finds for next season............

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
hmmmmmmm......Did I not see you mention that a certain Florida State player from CT has one more year of eligibility as a grad student? Was that statement made as a simple public service or in the context of a UConn player shortfall next season? You are really quite the obfuscator.
I have mentioned several players here that would be eligible as graduate transfers next year. I AM NOT UCONN WCBB! Don't ever again confuse what I am doing or posting with anything that UCONN WCBB is doing or thinking! Your post accused UCONN of "checking other team's rosters for grads and malcontents". If that is not what you meant then go back and edit or delete it.

Reaction Score
I have mentioned several players here that would be eligible as graduate transfers next year. I AM NOT UCONN WCBB! Don't ever again confuse what I am doing or posting with anything that UCONN WCBB is doing or thinking! Your post accused UCONN of "checking other team's rosters for grads and malcontents". If that is not what you meant then go back and edit or delete it.

believe me I don't confuse anything you do to be remotely on behalf of UConn basketball.................by checking I mean perusing the rosters which is certainly not the same as contacting individual players which would be a clear NCAA violation..............are you saying UConn hasn't or won't be doing that? In my opinion they sure better get started if they haven't already............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
believe me I don't confuse anything you do to be remotely on behalf of UConn basketball.......by checking I mean perusing the rosters which is certainly not the same as contacting individual players which would be a clear NCAA violation....are you saying UConn hasn't or won't be doing that? In my opinion they sure better get started if they haven't already..
That Geno intends to add players to the 2019-20 roster with either graduate transfers and or international players has been document in Hartford Courant and the New York Times articles and those articles have been linked here. I'll be sure to let Geno know that you think he is behind if he hasn't started already.

In Auriemma’s view, recruiting has become “too corporate; too many people involved in the process.” But he also remains convinced that he will stock UConn’s roster next season with top-shelf talent, perhaps including graduate transfers and international players. “I’m not worried about that,” he said.

Is UConn’s Dominance of Women’s Basketball Over? Cue Eye Rolls, for Now

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I saw that and here is why that might not bee good news for UCONN.
If you look at the list of recent transfers from UCONN several were also players that walked away from their high school programs.
Courtney Ekmark-Home schooled her senior year.
Dejane Boykin-change high school to be with her brother.
Sadie Edwards-changed HS in CT to Blair Academy in NJ
AEH-Ossining to Blair then back to Ossining for senior year.
Additionally there must be something in the water at Duncanville that might be creating commitment issues.
The last few players out of that HS Cierra Johnson walked away from Louisville after 1 year and Zarielle Green changed her commitment from Kansas to TN at the 11th hour.
When kids change schools, I start to worry. But kids who move to a more competitive program seem to be a different sort--Sue Bird from Syosset to Christ the King, Katie Lou Samuelson from Edison to Mater Dei, and Kaila Charles from Eleanor Roosevelt to Riverdale Baptist. Honesty Scott-Grayson went from one competitive program to another to another--Blair Academy to Paul VI to Riverdale Baptist. I don't want to be negative, but I don't expect her to stay at Baylor for 4 years.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Hannah Gusters has transferred and will now play with her friend Sarah Andrews. Maybe.

Five-star girls basketball recruit Hannah Gusters has transferred from nationally ranked Duncanville to Irving MacArthur, giving MacArthur the state's top two recruits in the Class of 2020. Whether Gusters will be able to play for MacArthur remains to be seen.

Irving MacArthur girls basketball coach Suzie Oelschlegel said Friday that Gusters has enrolled at MacArthur but declined to comment beyond that. Duncanville coach Cathy Self-Morgan declined to comment.

If Self-Morgan marked on Gusters' Previous Athletic Participation Form that she thought Gusters transferred for athletic purposes, it would trigger a DEC meeting. If the DEC ruled that Gusters transferred for athletic purposes, she would not be eligible for varsity competition this season.

Hannah Gusters transfers from Duncanville to Irving MacArthur, giving MacArthur the state's top two hoops recruits

Reaction Score
Hannah Gusters has transferred and will now play with her friend Sarah Andrews. Maybe.

Five-star girls basketball recruit Hannah Gusters has transferred from nationally ranked Duncanville to Irving MacArthur, giving MacArthur the state's top two recruits in the Class of 2020. Whether Gusters will be able to play for MacArthur remains to be seen.

Irving MacArthur girls basketball coach Suzie Oelschlegel said Friday that Gusters has enrolled at MacArthur but declined to comment beyond that. Duncanville coach Cathy Self-Morgan declined to comment.

If Self-Morgan marked on Gusters' Previous Athletic Participation Form that she thought Gusters transferred for athletic purposes, it would trigger a DEC meeting. If the DEC ruled that Gusters transferred for athletic purposes, she would not be eligible for varsity competition this season.

Hannah Gusters transfers from Duncanville to Irving MacArthur, giving MacArthur the state's top two hoops recruits

surely her family must have known the consequences of transferring high schools .......

Reaction Score
The coach at Irving McArthur is a Baylor grad. The Duncanville coach is a Texas grad. The plot thickens.;)

Texas certainly doesn't need another big, come to think of it Baylor has all of those super forwards too.............guess she might as leave the Lone Star State and do her thing in charming New England...............:rolleyes:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
thank God for that...whether it's something they've done or just pure luck you never know.
Well some of both, but they do (trainers I assume) work on exercises that are supposed to help prevent ACL's.

Reaction Score
Well some of both, but they do (trainers I assume) work on exercises that are supposed to help prevent ACL's.

my daughter's orthopedist at the Hospital for Special Surgery who does work for the Knicks, Rangers and Yankees and also"fixed" her non professional knee, says that the female knee is simply structurally deficient and that while there are exercises that can strengthen the areas around the knee, if the knee is stressed in a certain way there is nothing that can be done to prevent damage............there are now three kids on my daughter's team that have had two ACL tears each..............once it happens the odds of a second injury are multiplied greatly............her team is down to a roster of seven from twelve four weeks ago..........knees, backs and a fractured arm.............another reason why I believe a bigger bench is better whether it's high school or especially big time college ball..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom