2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTC

Reaction Score
I would think Geno would want to get at least one player at least 6'2" who would be a strong rebounder in 2020. Definitrly need a quality backup for Olivia who has a history of fouling.

Reaction Score
I would think Geno would want to get at least one player at least 6'2" who would be a strong rebounder in 2020. Definitrly need a quality backup for Olivia who has a history of fouling.

2020 has to be like Noah's Ark...................UConn has to offer at minimum two from every position, three for point guard...................they simply have no choice if they want a 3-4 player class........................

Reaction Score
they all have a history of fouling when they are freshmen

MTC

Reaction Score
they all have a history of fouling when they are freshmen
The point was you have to have some height on the floor at all times next year. I think we have a good chance for a grad transfer to bolster our bench. Keep your fingers crossed.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
2020 has to be like Noah's Ark....UConn has to offer at minimum two from every position, three for point guard....they simply have no choice if they want a 3-4 player class....
Your propensity to misinform is prolific. This is what you want and have wanted UCONN to do. aka entirely wishful thinking on your part. UCONN will continue to selectively offer kids that are a good fit and can make a contribution to the program. Geno would retire before adopting the recruiting approach you are suggesting. How is that recruiting approach working out for Louisville?

Reaction Score
Your propensity to misinform is prolific. This is what you want and have wanted UCONN to do. aka entirely wishful thinking on your part. UCONN will continue to selectively offer kids that are a good fit and can make a contribution to the program. Geno would retire before adopting the recruiting approach you are suggesting. How is that recruiting approach working out for Louisville?

"Misinform"? I think a less strident individual would say it's simply an opinion that you disagree with....................that's fair enough.................we had the same disagreement for the 2019 class................how'd that work out? I see you're now looking to snag other team's grad students...................pretty soon you'll be contemplating other program's disenchanted starters wondering whether the NCAA will grant UConn a waiver or two for next year....................is that really the kind of recruiting scenario you want to see repeated again for the 2020 class? Uconn was 1-4 in 2019............if they need three or four players from that class they're going to have to offer 10-12 recruits................failure is really not an option this time around...................BTW I believe Louisville has offered as many as 20 players at a time so there is no comparison to what I am proposing..................

Reaction Score
2020 has to be like Noah's Ark....UConn has to offer at minimum two from every position, three for point guard....they simply have no choice if they want a 3-4 player class....
That's the right way to do it if you're a startup program with no name recognition. Or Louisville.

That's the wrong way to do it if you're UConn. Target the players you really really really really want, and hopefully get them. Never settle.

Reaction Score
That's the right way to do it if you're a startup program with no name recognition. Or Louisville.

That's the wrong way to do it if you're UConn. Target the players you really really really really want, and hopefully get them. Never settle.

Have you calculated how many players UConn will have on it's roster next year and then in 2020? Nobody is saying not to target Geno's kind of players but normally there are only three or four that are exact fits and the odds of getting the majority of those are not that great.............. you really have no choice but to find a few more that meet most of the criteria................after all isn't that far better then looking for grad students and transfers that you had no interest in before?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
"Misinform"? I think a less strident individual would say it's simply an opinion that you disagree with.....that's fair enough.......we had the same disagreement for the 2019 class......how'd that work out? I see you're now looking to snag other team's grad students....pretty soon you'll be contemplating other program's disenchanted starters wondering whether the NCAA will grant UConn a waiver or two for next year.....is that really the kind of recruiting scenario you want to see repeated again for the 2020 class? Uconn was 1-4 in 2019..if they need three or four players from that class they're going to have to offer 10-12 recruits......failure is really not an option this time around....BTW I believe Louisville has offered as many as 20 players at a time so there is no comparison to what I am proposing...
Yes a less strident and uniformed individual would, which is the real imminent danger.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'm still waiting for your acknowledgement that my concerns were justified regarding the 2019 class....
This is about as close as you are going to get!

This UConn cognoscenti, who admittedly threw most of those arrows you mentioned, still does not think more offers is the right answer. The right answer will be arrived at by taking stock of what when wrong-in time. The temperature right now is way too heated, enough for us to make additional mistakes.
What is it that you think went wrong?

We all had concern/fears some of which validated by the recruiting results for the class of 2019. To be blunt, It is your approach that sucks. To say that UCONN "MUST" adopt your approach is not only pompous is blatantly ignorant of the stature of this program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is about as close as you are going to get!

We all had concern/fears some of which validated by the recruiting results for the class of 2019. To be blunt, It is your approach that sucks. To say that UCONN "MUST" adopt your approach is not only pompous is blatantly ignorant of the stature of the this program.

I didn't think my opinion carried so much weight on the BY but I yield to your critique....................from now on I will say "in my opinion UConn should consider"........................I hope that works for you...................now let me ask you a question which illustrates my concern.................we know that UConn has offered both Paige Bueckers and Hailey Van Lith...............I think it would be fair to say that both are much in demand.............in my opinion UConn should consider offering a third point guard in case the other two go elsewhere..............do you agree or disagree with me on this? If you disagree, knowing what we know now, who will be the starting point guard for UConn in 2021?

Reaction Score
Have you calculated how many players UConn will have on it's roster next year and then in 2020? Nobody is saying not to target Geno's kind of players but normally there are only three or four that are exact fits and the odds of getting the majority of those are not that great.... you really have no choice but to find a few more that meet most of the criteria......after all isn't that far better then looking for grad students and transfers that you had no interest in before?
Maybe you have to identify more than 3 or 4 possibilities, but the problem with UConn offering less-than-elite players is that they're going to accept.

So we should make 2 offers for every position, and then do like D1 football and just renege on the "excess" offers we make? Or fill the roster up with a bunch of players we didn't 'really really really' want?

I don't buy it. We're going to be fine. Like one high school parent said a couple years ago, "UConn isn't taking regular kids."

Reaction Score
Maybe you have to identify more than 3 or 4 possibilities, but the problem with UConn offering less-than-elite players is that they're going to accept.

So we should make 2 offers for every position, and then do like D1 football and just renege on the "excess" offers we make? Or fill the roster up with a bunch of players we didn't 'really really really' want?

I don't buy it. We're going to be fine. Like one high school parent said a couple years ago, "UConn isn't taking regular kids."

I understand what you're saying..........it's a very fine line but as I asked Coco are willing to risk not having a point guard in the 2020 class or are you willing to consider a third option?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I didn't think my opinion carried so much weight on the BY but I yield to your critique.....from now on I will say "in my opinion UConn should consider"....I hope that works for you....now let me ask you a question which illustrates my concern.......we know that UConn has offered both Paige Bueckers and Hailey Van Lith.....I think it would be fair to say that both are much in demand...in my opinion UConn should consider offering a third point guard in case the other two go elsewhere....do you agree or disagree with me on this? If you disagree, knowing what we know now, who will be the starting point guard for UConn in 2021?
Obviously I disagree and we have had this conversation before. An offer to a third point guard would be a contingency offer i.e, we are offering you just in case the other two say no. UCONN doesn't make contingency offers. If Paige and Hailey both say no to UCONN the starting PG in 2021 will be Christyn Williams and Aubrey Griffin will be the SG. Mikayla Coombs will rotate between the two positions.

Reaction Score
Obviously I disagree and we have had this conversation before. An offer to a third point guard would be a contingency offer i.e, we are offering you just in case the other two say no. UCONN doesn't make contingency offers. If Paige and Hailey both say no to UCONN the starting PG in 2021 will be Christyn Williams and Aubrey Griffin will be the SG. Mikayla Coombs will rotate between the two positions.

OK...................you are nothing if not consistent...................I do however find it interesting that UConn has scouted point guard Leilani Kapinus (who is now out with an ACL) and I believe they have been following Sarah Andrews too well after offering the two big targets..........

Reaction Score
I understand what you're saying.....it's a very fine line but as I asked Coco are willing to risk not having a point guard in the 2020 class or are you willing to consider a third option?
If I'm Geno I go for PB and Hailey Van Lith - hoping for both, planning for one, with the contingency that I accelerate my retirement if I get neither. If a 2nd-tier PG has to be coached up to her limited ceiling, I'll do my best for a year, try to recruit around her the next year, and leave it to Jen or Carla (the only clear choices for next UConn HC) to clean up the mess.

Reaction Score
[
If I'm Geno I go for PB and Hailey Van Lith - hoping for both, planning for one, with the contingency that I accelerate my retirement if I get neither. If a 2nd-tier PG has to be coached up to her limited ceiling, I'll do my best for a year, try to recruit around her the next year, and leave it to Jen or Carla (the only clear choices for next UConn HC) to clean up the mess.

from what I've seen if UConn had to "settle" for Sarah Andrews they would be just fine..........she's the ESPN # 6 player in the country...............and if you've seen her on tape you would be very happy.........

Reaction Score
[

from what I've seen if UConn had to "settle" for Sarah Andrews they would be just fine.....she's the ESPN # 6 player in the country.....and if you've seen her on tape you would be very happy....
Nothing wrong with #6, as long as you get a couple "high-ranked" players to go along with her :D

But, seriously, is Sarah Andrews gong to stick around if she's stuck behind Beuckers or Van Lith for 3-4 years?

Reaction Score
Nothing wrong with #6, as long as you get a couple "high-ranked" players to go along with her :D

But, seriously, is Sarah Andrews gong to stick around if she's stuck behind Beuckers or Van Lith for 3-4 years?

somehow I think they'll be room for more then one guard............they can both play either guard position........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom