2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 9 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
it wouldn't be quite as big an issue if UConn had other somewhat lower ranked players coming in after the top players went elsewhere.....for seasons 19/20 and 20/21 it's a matter of recruiting enough players to suit up a competitive team with the requisite bench......

I'm confident that UConn will manage to suit up a team next year and the year after.

Reaction Score
2020 has to be like Noah's Ark....UConn has to offer at minimum two from every position, three for point guard....they simply have no choice if they want a 3-4 player class....

I think UConn will be able to get a recruiting class without making 11 offers. We are not Louisville.

Reaction Score
I think UConn will be able to get a recruiting class without making 11 offers. We are not Louisville.

how many would you suggest to land a four player class? UConn was 1-4 with the 2019 class although there may very well have been more offers that we are not aware of........

Reaction Score
how many would you suggest to land a four player class? UConn was 1-4 with the 2019 class although there may very well have been more offers that we are not aware of...

I'm not Geno, but I evidently have more faith in him than you do. What I can't understand is your repeated and repeated insistence that UConn abandon what has worked for over two decades, achieving an unimaginable level of success, to pursue a recruiting strategy that makes UConn just like everyone else.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
UConn probably needs nine players in the next two classes in one form or another. I'd like to hear a few more names come up. Perhaps we're seeing more outreach with unranked Lauren Jensen now being watched.

Reaction Score
I'm not Geno, but I evidently have more faith in him than you do. What I can't understand is your repeated and repeated insistence that UConn abandon what has worked for over two decades, achieving an unimaginable level of success, to pursue a recruiting strategy that makes UConn just like everyone else.

I have great respect for the coach and the program but that doesn't mean that what's worked in the past will always work in the future..............Many may disagree but I believe recruiting is more competitive then it has ever been and that fewer of today's players are attracted to or willing to work to the rigors of the UConn system.............that's not just me talking that's Geno...............if that's the case you can either change the system which I do not want to see or you can cast a slightly wider net to look for players that meet at least most of the criteria if the top players you want choose to go elsewhere.............if UConn could snap their fingers and get Bueckers, Van Lith, Gusters, and say Dalayah Daniels I would say congrats we're done recruiting for 2020 but the odds of UConn successfully recruiting those four players is far less then 50%...............so let's say you get one of them...........what do you do next? You go find the next best players that can work within the system............it's not a big deal when you only need a player or two but if you look at the numbers over the next two years there is a serious shortage...............I'd be more then happy to hear another way to make this work but just saying trust in Geno didn't work for the 2019 class and I don't see UConn's recruiting odds to be that much better for 2020...........BTW that doesn't mean you have to be Louisville.................we're talking about making strategic offers specific to your needs, not throwing out offers at every highly ranked player without assessing how they'd fit into the program...........

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UConn probably needs nine players in the next two classes in one form or another. I'd like to hear a few more names come up. Perhaps we're seeing more outreach with unranked Lauren Jensen now being watched.
Players like Lauren Jensen are always being watched and evaluated across 3 classes simultaneously. @Charliebball wants to skip the evaluation and have UCONN just put an offer in their hands already.

Reaction Score

how sure are you that UConn was really looking at Lauren Jensen? I agree with you that we've got to start delving deeper into the recruiting pool even if there are those among us that insist on only swimming in the shallow end...............:rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
for her own benefit, I wish Hailey Van Lith played against stronger competition..it's actually kind of boring playing in games like that

Yep, 1A in Washington, there's just not much there. 3A or 4A would be better. She's listed as being from Wenatchee, not Cashmere. Wenatchee has 2 high schools that compete at that higher classification.

Just imagine if she could've faced off against the Hull twins in the State Playoffs last year, that would've been must-see.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
We have typically done well with top talent with recovering knee issues (ie. Gabby).
Yes. Didn't Hartley hurt her knee playing field hockey or something?

Reaction Score

Two questions: 1. Are we looking at/offered to any 2020 bigs other than Gusters?
2. Does anyone know of any interest (from either side) between UCONN and Priscilla Williams or Sarah Andrews?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Two questions: 1. Are we looking at/offered to any 2020 bigs other than Gusters?
2. Does anyone know of any interest (from either side) between UCONN and Priscilla Williams or Sarah Andrews?

Haven't heard any connection between UConn and Priscilla Williams yet. Andrews put UConn on her list of 12 schools she's considering so there's interest on her side there. Not certain about UConn's.

The only other big UConn has reported to be in on is Dalayah Daniels who is a 6-4 forward.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
12/14

Aubrey Griffin missed Friday's game with that ankle sprain.

Paige Bueckers had 20 points and 8 assists in a Hopkins win.

Sasha Goforth scored 29 points for Fayetteville.

Sonia Citron had 15 points and 11 rebounds.

Saylor Poffenbarger stuffed the stat sheet to the tune of 12 points, 10 rebounds, 8 assists, and 4 steals.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Blue Star's Mark Lewis on the recent Art Turner Memorial tournament in DC.

Aubrey Griffin – 2019 – 6-0 – Wing – Ossining– Explosive on the wing…Plays with effort start to finish…Makes herself an option with and without the ball…Can score in multiple ways…Always attacking…First step and vertical are dynamic…Elevates on pull up and spot up jumper…Plays strong and handles contact…Ballhandling is sound but occasionally methodical…Makes plays on both ends and the boards…Transition to the next level will be smooth

Azzi Fudd – 2021 – 5-11 – Combo – St. John’s College HS – Redefining backcourt play on the high school level…High level production comes with consistency and strong instincts…Attack is smooth and fluid…Has depth in her skill set and diversity in her game…Always reading both teammates and defenders…Pull up is lethal as well as always keeping defenders guessing…Crossover to the pull up is hard to see coming…Still working and still enjoying the game

Art Turner Memorial 2018 - Bluestar Media

Reaction Score
Scott-
Scott-Grayson hasn’t been getting a tone of minutes, with the Morris rumors and the other elite guard coming in it’s possible she could look for more playing time somewhere else.

Reaction Score
for her own benefit, I wish Hailey Van Lith played against stronger competition..it's actually kind of boring playing in games like that

I agree, I also think she plays AAU ball on the adidas circuit instead of the Nike EYBL circuit, the last player from the state of Washington was the great Angie Bjorklund, hopefully Hailey Van Lith will be better prepared for college.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Blue Star's Mark Lewis on the recent Art Turner Memorial tournament in DC.

Aubrey Griffin – 2019 – 6-0 – Wing – Ossining– Explosive on the wing…Plays with effort start to finish…Makes herself an option with and without the ball…Can score in multiple ways…Always attacking…First step and vertical are dynamic…Elevates on pull up and spot up jumper…Plays strong and handles contact…Ballhandling is sound but occasionally methodical…Makes plays on both ends and the boards…Transition to the next level will be smooth

Azzi Fudd – 2021 – 5-11 – Combo – St. John’s College HS – Redefining backcourt play on the high school level…High level production comes with consistency and strong instincts…Attack is smooth and fluid…Has depth in her skill set and diversity in her game…Always reading both teammates and defenders…Pull up is lethal as well as always keeping defenders guessing…Crossover to the pull up is hard to see coming…Still working and still enjoying the game

Art Turner Memorial 2018 - Bluestar Media

Thanks for posting. Lewis is such a pro at this -- he can illuminate a weekend's worth of play into a sole paragraph. Here's another write-up, where the primary focus seems to be on the guards:

Art Turner Memorial hosted by Saint Paul VI (2018)

Reaction Score
Scott-Grayson hasn’t been getting a tone of minutes, with the Morris rumors and the other elite guard coming in it’s possible she could look for more playing time somewhere else.

I'd be cautious when it comes to HSG............she's never impressed me all that much when I've seen her play the past few years...............I never understood her extremely high ranking................she didn't show the consistent ability to take over a big game like Dara Mabrey.......................appears she has the talent but has never put it all together perhaps partly due to nagging injuries for an extended period of time.........also one of those multiple high school switchers which raises red flags........

Reaction Score
Haven't heard any connection between UConn and Priscilla Williams yet. Andrews put UConn on her list of 12 schools she's considering so there's interest on her side there. Not certain about UConn's.

The only other big UConn has reported to be in on is Dalayah Daniels who is a 6-4 forward.

very little info on wings/small forward in the 2020 class.........any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom