2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 11 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If Dalayah chooses UConn, I think she may end up being the best PNW 2020 Prospect.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I was stunned when I heard the last part of that video. If I was recruiting against UCONN that this is exactly the talking point I would have whispered in a recruit's ear over and over again: "The Pac 12 (or any other P5 conference) is competitive and you get challenged night in and night out." As you said Haley is very smart and could have figured that out on her own but it sure didn't sound like it. I suspected that this has been part of the Anti-UCONN pitch to recruits since being stuck in the God awful conference. To hear a recruit repeating the anti-UCONN pitch is very bad news.
As I said in other posts, I don't hear any anti-AAC sentiment there. That said, I'm sure coaches use whatever they have at their disposal to compete against UConn. The conference may be an issue, but I think Geno and CD can counter that so it doesn't stick. Haley was in a unique situation in that she lives near Stanford, has a long-term relationship with the staff, and could get past Stanford Admissions. Our conference was, at most, a third-order factor. Haley's decision makes sense to me. I'm still puzzled by Boston's decision.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
12/15

Azzi Fudd scored 26 points in 14 minutes in the first of two games Saturday.

Sonia Citron had 18 points and 10 rebounds.

Jillian Hollingshead scored 19 points.

Reaction Score
Hannah Gusters has transferred and will now play with her friend Sarah Andrews. Maybe.

Five-star girls basketball recruit Hannah Gusters has transferred from nationally ranked Duncanville to Irving MacArthur, giving MacArthur the state's top two recruits in the Class of 2020. Whether Gusters will be able to play for MacArthur remains to be seen.

Irving MacArthur girls basketball coach Suzie Oelschlegel said Friday that Gusters has enrolled at MacArthur but declined to comment beyond that. Duncanville coach Cathy Self-Morgan declined to comment.

Hannah Gusters transfers from Duncanville to Irving MacArthur, giving MacArthur the state's top two hoops recruits

Reaction Score
Show me where I stated that was the main reason.

I posted "UConn's strength of schedule is in the Top 3 virtually every year! IF Hailey Van Lith doesn't come to UConn it is not because of SOS."

Your reply was "It was for H. Jones"

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I posted "UConn's strength of schedule is in the Top 3 virtually every year! IF Hailey Van Lith doesn't come to UConn it is not because of SOS."

Your reply was "It was for H. Jones"
Where does it say the only reason. SOS was one of the reasons per H. Jones.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Where does it say the only reason. SOS was one of the reasons per H. Jones.

I think Jones was making a canned statement complimenting Stanford. Not sure it had anything to do with UConn or their schedule. I'm betting the Stanford degree and proximity to home played the biggest parts. My guess is if she were from just about anywhere else she'd be a Husky.

Reaction Score
Haley implied SOS, we are not making his up.

What is implied isn't the same as what is stated. If she doesn't have the intelligence to compare UConn's SOS over the last 5 or 6 years to any other team in wcbb then she was never UConn material.

Massey SOS rank
2018 - 2nd
2017 - 4th
2016 - 1st
2015 - 2nd
2014 - 1st
2013 - 1st

It's easy to look at UConn's game scores and conclude that they play a bunch of cream puffs but if you look at how those cream puffs play other teams you see another story. For example, Houston, one of those cream-puffs, lost by 1 pt at Cal this year. UConn will probably win by 20-30 or more. Tulane regularly beats LSU. USF is a regular top 25 team.

I'm not suggesting that the AAC is a great conference but if you take an honest look at the P5 conferences' depth you see that once you get past the top 2-3 teams there isn't much there. Sure, a bunch make the tournament but that's no claim of excellence.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
If she doesn't have the intelligence to compare UConn's SOS over the last 5 or 6 years to any other team in wcbb then she was never UConn material.
Please....... get off that high horse (pun intended) you are being insulting. Haley had the intelligence to get into Stanford, I think she can comprehend UCONN's SOS.!

Reaction Score
Please.. get off that high horse (pun intended) you are being insulting. Haley had the intelligence to get into Stanford, I think she can comprehend UCONN's SOS.!

OK. So looking at the numbers I posted, how would she conclude that UConn doesn't play as tough a schedule as Stanford when in fact they play a tougher schedule? And please show your work. IMO a lot of people think they see toughness in a schedule when what they really see is name recognition.

IMHO if a player swallows that sales pitch (lack of tough UConn opponents) then they lack some aspect(s) of intelligence.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
OK. So looking at the numbers I posted, how would she conclude that UConn doesn't play as tough a schedule as Stanford when in fact they play a tougher schedule? And please show your work. IMO a lot of people think they see toughness in a schedule when what they really see is name recognition. IMHO if a player swallows that sales pitch (lack of tough UConn opponents) then they lack some aspect(s) of intelligence.
Really wish you would stop questioning the intelligence of these players. It is not that serious. Haley said nor concluded nothing about UCONN. Listen to the entire video. She stated that by playing in the Pac 12 "one of the best conferences in country" (her words) she will be challenged night in and night out. The inferences (entirely mine perhaps) were that had she chose UCONN she would not be playing in one of the best conferences in the country and would not be challenged night in and night out. Simply put better teams in the Pac 12 than in the AAC.

You can keep posting and touting UCONN the strength of UCONN's OOC schedules. For these numbers to have significance you need to also post the Stanford OOC schedule for comparison. Stanford played #3 Baylor tonight and #9 TN in a few days. Shoot Haley was probably at the game. When you are done doing that I'll simply circle back to this: Ain't not teenage girl got time to analyze all that! They are likely to believe what someone (coach) tells them. That doesn't mean they are "lacking intelligence" , it makes them not interest.

Reaction Score
I think Jones was making a canned statement complimenting Stanford. Not sure it had anything to do with UConn or their schedule. I'm betting the Stanford degree and proximity to home played the biggest parts. My guess is if she were from just about anywhere else she'd be a Husky.

Of course it did, I bet SOS was not even on her Top 10 list of reasons why she chose Stanford.

Reaction Score
Really wish you would stop questioning the intelligence of these players. It is not that serious. Haley said nor concluded nothing about UCONN. Listen to the entire video. She stated that by playing in the Pac 12 "one of the best conferences in country" (her words) she will be challenged night in and night out. The inferences (entirely mine perhaps) were that had she chose UCONN she would not be playing in one of the best conferences in the country and would not be challenged night in and night out. Simply put better teams in the Pac 12 than in the AAC.

You can keep posting and touting UCONN the strength of UCONN's OOC schedules. For these numbers to have significance you need to also post the Stanford OOC schedule for comparison. Stanford played #3 Baylor tonight and #9 TN in a few days. Shoot Haley was probably at the game. When you are done doing that I'll simply circle back to this: Ain't not teenage girl got time to analyze all that! They are likely to believe what someone (coach) tells them. That doesn't mean they are "lacking intelligence" , it makes them not interest.

Let me "lay the facts before you". (a nod to Sir A C Doyle)

Massey SOS rank
UCONN
2018 - 2nd
2017 - 4th
2016 - 1st
2015 - 2nd
2014 - 1st
2013 - 1st

STANFORD
2018 - 6th
2017 - 3rd
2016 - 6th
2015 - 7th
2014 - 4th
2013 - 8th

Not bad for the team in "one of the best conferences in country" but not nearly as tough as UConn's, despite the AAC. SOS is blind to whether games are "in conference" or OOC. Are you?

These SOS numbers do not give extra points for being in the P12 nor do they add points for playing teams with marquee names in other college sports.

Facts are facts. I'll speculate that you think that UConn would play tough games in a P5 conference. I don't. The teams are better but saying they are tough is BS. It's like saying that playing teams of 7th graders is tougher than playing teams of 3rd graders. It's true but being tougher is not the same same as being tough. If UConn went to the ACC they would play N Dame & Louisville..... OOPS, they already play them. UConn tries to play 2 games against every P5 conference and it's usually the top teams (at least those who are willing). How many of those games have been "tough" wins or losses for the Huskies?

Now maybe the girl meant that being on a lesser team like Stanford it would be harder to beat teams like Notre Dame or Gonzaga or Baylor. Now that I would agree with, but I doubt she meant that. (Or if she didn't say those things then maybe that's what you mean).

If you disagree with this and want to continue I would need for you to provide some facts to support your position in order for me to have something to respond to. Merely attacking me by making vague and unsupported statements leads to nowhere.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And just to balance my comments I recall an interview of Geno when he was asked about coaching elsewhere. His answer was that the 2 schools he would consider were Duke and Stanford. He said that the 2 campuses and the academics would do the bulk of his recruiting for him.

And just to throw out a new theory, is it just coincidence that UConn's top 3 targets all picked female coaches? I have read that women lean one way or the other in choosing coaches. Any truth to that?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Let me "lay the facts before you". (a nod to Sir A C Doyle)

Massey SOS rank
UCONN
2018 - 2nd
2017 - 4th
2016 - 1st
2015 - 2nd
2014 - 1st
2013 - 1st

STANFORD
2018 - 6th
2017 - 3rd
2016 - 6th
2015 - 7th
2014 - 4th
2013 - 8th

Not bad for the team in "one of the best conferences in country" but not nearly as tough as UConn's, despite the AAC. SOS is blind to whether games are "in conference" or OOC. Are you?

These SOS numbers do not give extra points for being in the P12 nor do they add points for playing teams with marquee names in other college sports.

Facts are facts. I'll speculate that you think that UConn would play tough games in a P5 conference. I don't. The teams are better but saying they are tough is BS. It's like saying that playing teams of 7th graders is tougher than playing teams of 3rd graders. It's true but being tougher is not the same same as being tough. If UConn went to the ACC they would play N Dame & Louisville..... OOPS, they already play them. UConn tries to play 2 games against every P5 conference and it's usually the top teams (at least those who are willing). How many of those games have been "tough" wins or losses for the Huskies?

Now maybe the girl meant that being on a lesser team like Stanford it would be harder to beat teams like Notre Dame or Gonzaga or Baylor. Now that I would agree with, but I doubt she meant that. (Or if she didn't say those things then maybe that's what you mean).

If you disagree with this and want to continue I would need for you to provide some facts to support your position in order for me to have something to respond to. Merely attacking me by making vague and unsupported statements leads to nowhere.
Nah... I don't want to continue because it gives you an opportunity to continue being very disrespectful. Her name is Haley not "the girl".

Reaction Score
And just to balance my comments I recall an interview of Geno when he was asked about coaching elsewhere. His answer was that the 2 schools he would consider were Duke and Stanford. He said that the 2 campuses and the academics would do the bulk of his recruiting for him.

And just to throw out a new theory, is it just coincidence that UConn's top 3 targets all picked female coaches? I have read that women lean one way or the other in choosing coaches. Any truth to that?

I've often wondered whether players have a preference in playing with a male or female coach or whether the race of the coach was ever taken into consideration..................I'd like to think that it really didn't matter on any of these but recruits are entitled to make that decision for themselves

Reaction Score
why are we worrying about why HJ chose Stanford? Clearly it's one of the finest schools in the world never mind the country, it's close to home, it has a hall of fame coach, has several other really good players coming in and is part of a strong basketball conference........................seems like a pretty obvious choice if she wanted to stay out west......................the only thing it illustrates to me is that you better be clear that any West Coast recruit (Hailey Van Lith) is really serious about coming East before you put all your eggs in her basket................or is it all her eggs in your basket? Oh well either or...............:rolleyes:

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Add Anaya Boyd to the list of players that UCONN evaluated this summer. She is 21 in prospectsnation and 35 in Hoopgurlz.
“Their AAU coach, Jay Moore, we have great communication,” King said. “He always lets me know if their is an offer. I still see them as so much more they can be, but when UConn called and said they would be looking at them this summer I was like, ‘Wow, UConn is calling.”
BASKETBALL: Lovejoy girls preparing to defend state title

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Please.. get off that high horse (pun intended) you are being insulting.
Really wish you would stop questioning the intelligence of these players.
And I really wish you would come down off your high horse and stop these imperious, overblown responses to intelligent posters. He is not insulting anyone's intelligence, he is trying to make a point. And it's a good one. He is actually saying, rhetorically, that she is intelligent enough to consider SOS.

Your constant need to take some piece of what someone says and interpret it overly literally just to generate ammunition in your desire to win some competition is obnoxious and detracts from the quality of the discussions and from the quality of the board.

I really wish you would stop.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
And I really wish you would come down off your high horse and stop these imperious, overblown responses to intelligent posters. He is not insulting anyone's intelligence, he is trying to make a point. And it's a good one. He is actually saying, rhetorically, that she is intelligent enough to consider SOS.
Your constant need to take some piece of what someone says and interpret it overly literally just to generate ammunition in your desire to win some competition is obnoxious and detracts from the quality of the discussions and from the quality of the board.
I really wish you would stop.
The point which could easily have been made without questioning the intelligence of the player (TWICE)!

If she doesn't have the intelligence to compare UConn's SOS over the last 5 or 6 years to any other team in wcbb then she was never UConn material.

IMHO if a player swallows that sales pitch (lack of tough UConn opponents) then they lack some aspect(s) of intelligence.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I've often wondered whether players have a preference in playing with a male or female coach or whether the race of the coach was ever taken into consideration...I'd like to think that it really didn't matter on any of these but recruits are entitled to make that decision for themselves
I know of situations where race and/or gender mattered, especially with male players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom