2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 92 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There are about 25 posts on the Notre Dame blog site that Paige Beuckers has committed to UConn. Many green tears but wonder if the April 1 date has anything to do with post.
We had 206 posts on Jones, 443 on Horston, 368 on Brunelle, and 361 on Boston. Only 25 on a generational player like Bueckers, who they thought they had, is quite impressive!

Reaction Score
My new favorite non-UConn prospect, along with Azzi Fudd of course.

I’m with you on this kid. It’s fascinating to watch her control the floor and make everything go at her pace. Never hurries and just dissects the defense.

Reaction Score
Her skill level and IQ are off the charts. And she has a better handle than most male college PG's.
It’s uncanny the way she protects the ball almost without trying. Like it’s on a string. And it seems like she anticipates the defender’s move instead of the other way around. Plus her 3 point shot is deadly. For her size it’s effortless.

Reaction Score
I'm going to predict that Hailey Van Lith will also commit to UCONN :cool: No scientific research or insider information. Just a gut feeling. Now if I can only learn how to dig up this post in the future if/when I'm right...haha! ;)

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

Reaction Score
I'm going to predict that Hailey Van Lith will also commit to UCONN :cool: No scientific research or insider information. Just a gut feeling. Now if I can only learn how to dig up this post in the future if/when I'm right...haha! ;)

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

I just don't see it now that PB announced her commitment. Can't see 2 alpha PG from the same class going to the same place.

Reaction Score
I just don't see it now that PB announced her commitment. Can't see 2 alpha PG from the same class going to the same place.

You're probably right... and it's certainly the reality for the elite athletes who play the same position. :( But they both strike me as two very versatile guards who can play the 1 or 2 (even though Paige said Crystal's graduation was a factor). It just brings back memories of when both Sue Bird and Kiersten Walters committed with the TASSK force. Although Kiersten's knees ended her career way too early, neither player was deterred by each other's presence. They both had that competitive fire that I see with PG and Hailey Van Lith--play with the best to get better AND to make the best team. But hey, a guy can dream right? LOL. Should Hailey Van Lith stay out west, I'll still be a fan ;)

Reaction Score
Since we are on page 91 and Paige just committed to UCONN... is it time to start a fresh recruiting page focusing on 20-21 and who is still tops on our list. With Bueckers do we still need Van Lith as they are both PG? Serious question about which tall players we might be able to get. I see one is from Washington, another from Texas. What about the 6'5" player from Christ the King. We have had good luck with Christ the King players.

Is it time to start a new post?
Two PG's who can both play shooting guard would give maximum flexibility to scheme, provide rest and offset fouls/injuries. Example is current strategy to use Danger as shooting guard in certain match ups. This tactic may have been the key to beating UCLA. Great for player as well since it expands their skills and lets them show multiple assets for next step.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Paige definitely can play with Hailey. Hailey has loved UConn for years, as has Paige. However, the only recruiting news we've heard on Hailey Van Lith is that she has been to Baylor and the whole Baylor staff went to see her. I have heard nothing on recent UConn involvement. My best guess for Hailey Van Lith is Baylor, Oregon (replacing Sabrina), or Oregon State (replacing Destiny). I'd be thrilled if she commits to UConn, but I'm not sure how likely it is at this point.

Keep in mind that UConn and Olivia Miles in 2021 have mutual interest, possibly very strong interest. Olivia is #3 in 2021, behind only Fudd and DeBerry. Though her game is different, she's about as good as Hailey Van Lith. And she plays at Blair Academy in NJ.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
We had 206 posts on Jones, 443 on Horston, 368 on Brunelle, and 361 on Boston. Only 25 on a generational player like Bueckers, who they thought they had, is quite impressive!

In fairness, ND fans were a bit preoccupied last night.

I would say that anyone who thought that ND had Bueckers was not paying much attention.

Reaction Score
You're probably right... and it's certainly the reality for the elite athletes who play the same position. :( But they both strike me as two very versatile guards who can play the 1 or 2 (even though Paige said Crystal's graduation was a factor). It just brings back memories of when both Sue Bird and Kiersten Walters committed with the TASSK force. Although Kiersten's knees ended her career way too early, neither player was deterred by each other's presence. They both had that competitive fire that I see with PG and Hailey Van Lith--play with the best to get better AND to make the best team. But hey, a guy can dream right? LOL. Should Hailey Van Lith stay out west, I'll still be a fan ;)

What I saw at the U17's last summer was a bunch who were both highly talented but also who really really liked playing with each other. I don't expect an tidal wave of verbals but Bueckers is more than a player, she has an engaging personality and is highly confident on the court. I think she'll attract a couple of players near her level. Maybe a scoring post with great hands with which to catch PB's passes.

I am so happy!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Now UCONN needs two quality posts and maybe a shooting guard to complete the 2020 class. Paige is a great start for 2020.
Well, perhaps the best shooter ever is in 2021 and she's Paige's best friend. I've seen Azzi play in person 6x and hope to see her on Saturday. Think a combo Maya/Kaleena. She was the second best shooter at Steph Curry's camp for (mostly) boys. The best shooter? Steph Curry.

Reaction Score

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I
I appreciate that UConn missed some players but this year's team has:

1. the last two national players of the year;
2. Crystal who was #2 rated; and
3. KLS who split NPOY honors four years ago.
believe that Napheesa was number one in her junior year and an injury moved her down...making her the steal of the class.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I
believe that Napheesa was number one in her junior year and an injury moved her down...making her the steal of the class.
You maybe thinking of someone else (Morgan Tuck or ONO), Napheesa never achieved #1 in that 2015 class. That class was consistently KLS, Jessica Shepard & Asia Durr as 1,2,3. Nor do I remember a significant injury for Napheesa in HS.

Reaction Score
I

She was never #1, and didn't have an injury -- led her team to 31-1 record. Steal of the class? It's not like it's a draft. They went after her like she was the #1 kid in the class. Would like to think that we don't just make things up here. Go Huskies

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
She was never #1, and didn't have an injury -- led her team to 31-1 record. Steal of the class? It's not like it's a draft. They went after her like she was the #1 kid in the class. Would like to think that we don't just make things up here. Go Huskies
@cferraro04 mixed up Napheesa and Gabby Williams. Gabby was at one point ranked #1 before she tore her ACL. No need to be snarky, it was a simple case of misremembering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom