2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 94 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
From what little video there is of Muhl, what's your take on her? And have you seen any on Cardoso? I've only seen the few "guru" ratings.
Regarding Muhl I'm going to defer to two people who have a superior eye for talent. Geno went all the way to Croatia and Mike Flynn is a firm long time believer and has given her "multiple" major endorsements.
Regarding Cardosa, I'm still not sold. She has great size but that is about it. I just don't see a desire/will, skills, or motor to dominate the game even when she is the tallest player on the court by almost a foot.

Reaction Score
Regarding Muhl I'm going to defer to two people who have a superior eye for talent. Geno went all the way to Croatia and Mike Flynn is a firm long time believer and has given her "multiple" major endorsements.
Regarding Cardosa, I'm still not sold. She has great size but that is about it. I just don't see a desire/will, skills, or motor to dominate the game even when she is the tallest player on the court by almost a foot.
Definitely agree on big post players in general. That's the tough decision coaches must make when recruiting them isn't it? Most coaches, probably out of necessity will take the size and hope they can develop the "want to" in them. Don't know if you agree but in my experience you rarely can. As early as Jr High you can see if it's in their DNA or not and it doesn't just appear later on. Auriemma is fortunate that he can pass on the have nots since he knows they'd never get off the bench with him. IMO, Butler was a good example of a kid that he saw her will to work and thought she was worth the shot. But at UConn's level she just didn't have the athleticism and skills to dominate the way he needed.

Reaction Score
Definitely agree on big post players in general. That's the tough decision coaches must make when recruiting them isn't it? Most coaches, probably out of necessity will take the size and hope they can develop the "want to" in them. Don't know if you agree but in my experience you rarely can. As early as Jr High you can see if it's in their DNA or not and it doesn't just appear later on. Auriemma is fortunate that he can pass on the have nots since he knows they'd never get off the bench with him. IMO, Butler was a good example of a kid that he saw her will to work and thought she was worth the shot. But at UConn's level she just didn't have the athleticism and skills to dominate the way he needed.

Geno would have been happy if only she had much better hands. But she'll be in the G Mason record books forever.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
you gotta wonder what impact PB's commitment to UConn will have on Muhl or the Polish recruit?

My gut says none. Especially with Anna Makarut. GA went to see Nika Muhl. That alone means he sees something good in her.
Makarut is a 2019 recruit and i expect more on her recruitment when her season is over.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
My gut says none. Especially with Anna Makarut. GA went to see Nika Muhl. That alone means he sees something good in her.
Makarut is a 2019 recruit and i expect more on her recruitment when her season is over.

Makurat's team won game 2 of the best of 5 in the first round of the Polish league playoffs. Anna played 40+ minutes (overtime game) and her line was 11/7/4.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Washington City Paper story on Azzi from a few months ago.

Azzi Fudd Steps Out of Her Comfort Zone and Into the Spotlight
It's a good article. I've seen Azzi hanging out with friends after games, and she's a normal, sweet, slightly shy 16-year-old. Her friends and teammates love her. It's interesting to read that she wasn't aggressive growing up. Now, she sets the bar very high for herself--1st team AA as a sophomore doesn't happen too often. I also like her checklist from Coach Shea. I'm sure Chloe Pavlech can tell Azzi about life at UConn.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
By adding the five-star rated and top ranked player in the class, Connecticut is getting an elite recruit with the characteristics to be successful under the microscope there.

“From my initial evaluation on Bueckers as an eighth grader, it was evident that she had a chance to be special,” Brandon Clay, publisher of ProspectsNation.com said. “Her scoring prowess was on full display back then as she dropped 22 points on seven of nine shooting including six of seven from 3-point range a varsity game as an 8th grader. She only played 15 minutes. That said, Bueckers should have an opportunity to step on Campus in Storrs and provide the Husky faithful with more of the same consistent production that she's brought to the hardwood since that cold December day in 2015. Her ability to play handle the ball coupled with the skill to score puts me in the mind of the legendary Sue Bird during her Christ The King days.”

Her play at the USA Basketball trials this past spring showed she is a full on playmaker. She scored the ball effortlessly against the best competition you can find and found ways to get set up teammates as well. It’s one thing to be ranked No. 1 and it’s another to play like the best guard in the class.

Bueckers is the first commitment for Connecticut in the 2020 class that is loaded with talent at the top.

Bueckers Next Step Is Storrs | Prospects Nation

Reaction Score

I agree Muhl looks like the real deal in all areas other then her outside shooting which seems to be really streaky based on the stats we've seen...................she certainly plays with a lot of intensity which is not something that can't be taught......................Cardosa is still a mystery to me.......................she doesn't look particularly athletic but she gets up and down the court surprisingly well for a player of her size............she also seems to make her layups which apparently is not as easy at it seems..................Gusters has exhibited a more polished offensive game and I think DeBerry will be better then both of them.........

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Gusters has exhibited a more polished offensive game and I think DeBerry will be better then both of them....

Gusters should be able to play the 4 and 5 while DeBerry may eventually be a 3 and 4 so there shouldn't be any impediment to getting both.

Reaction Score
Gusters should be able to play the 4 and 5 while DeBerry may eventually be a 3 and 4 so there shouldn't be any impediment to getting both.

I would assume Geno would prefer those two hybrid players at that height who offer far more athleticism...................I know I do...............

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
My only thought on Cardoso is this.....

People weren't exactly on this board talking about Brown or McGowan when they were high school seniors and look how they turned out. You cant teach height. They are imposing in the post. I tried to go back and find the threads about McGowan when she committed to Cincinnati and then Mississippi State but couldnt find them. Many here drug her for being slow and not polished. Now with her size and skill level she could potentially go 1st in the draft. She has had a nice college career and has proven herself a great post player. Just recently named Defensive POY. SEC POY and SEC DPOY. Not bad for a 6'7 kid.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
My only thought on Cardoso is this.....

People weren't exactly on this board talking about Brown or McGowan when they were high school seniors and look how they turned out. You cant teach height. They are imposing in the post. I tried to go back and find the threads about McGowan when she committed to Cincinnati and then Mississippi State but couldnt find them. Many here drug her for being slow and not polished. Now with her size and skill level she could potentially go 1st in the draft. She has had a nice college career and has proven herself a great post player. Just recently named Defensive POY. SEC POY and SEC DPOY. Not bad for a 6'7 kid.
Leading rebounder in the history of the NCAA tournament. That looks nice on a resume!

Reaction Score
Natalija Marshall who is supposed to make her school decision soon:

I assume it's between Stanford and ND......................highly doubt she will be swayed by PB's decision...............hopefully we'll see the effects of that news from another big or two soon enough............

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Regarding Azzie: on one of her official visits the UConn staff showed her tape of her Mom....who played back in the day for Georgetown...in action against UConn and pointed out how similar...kinda identical...their jump shot motion was. Cool!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Regarding Azzie: on one of her official visits the UConn staff showed her tape of her Mom....who played back in the day for Georgetown...in action against UConn and pointed out how similar...kinda identical...their jump shot motion was. Cool!
Washington Post also did a story on this complete with this photo comparing the jump shots.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...6a950029788_story.html?utm_term=.b7a22da14682
One slight correction though it was an "unofficial" visit to UCONN. Azzi is not eligible to take "official" visits until about a year plus 1 week from today and she can only take 1 per school up to five total.
Azzi.jpg

One other thing not specifically mentioned in the article, Katie Smrcka-Duffy ( Azzi's mother) played at Georgetown from 1997-2001 when Georgetown was still in the big east. That would mean Katie would have been guarded by Shea Ralph when Georgetown played UCONN.

Last edited:

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Coco is of course correct....unofficial it was.

A guess here: Paige and Azzie have been to Storrs three times on unofficial visits....and were not all 3 together?

Reaction Score
Geno would have been happy if only she had much better hands. But she'll be in the G Mason record books forever.
Ditto. Butler broke her thumb and for 2 years years had issues. Once it was healed (Unfortunately for us, she was at George Mason), she had great hands as she did prior to coming to UConn.

Reaction Score
Coco, I like your assessment. Smarts, motor, and strength are all traits Geno seems to have looked for in bigs. You don't have to be huge but understand the UConn system. Dolson wasn't fast, but moved well on pick and roles and knew her defensive role. Tuck looked thin, but had the strength to guard and rebound with girls much larger.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Coco is of course correct....unofficial it was.

A guess here: Paige and Azzie have been to Storrs three times on unofficial visits....and were not all 3 together?
Paige and Azzi are very close.

I believe that Katie started at NC State, then transferred to Georgetown. She is from NoVa (Oakton, I believe) and is in the Virginia Hall of Fame. She was an outstanding player.

Azzi’s father, Tim, also a college player, clearly says that she has Katie’s shot.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Coco, I like your assessment. Smarts, motor, and strength are all traits Geno seems to have looked for in bigs. You don't have to be huge but understand the UConn system. Dolson wasn't fast, but moved well on pick and roles and knew her defensive role. Tuck looked thin, but had the strength to guard and rebound with girls much larger.
That is the first time I have heard anyone say that Morgan Tuck looked thin. Do you also think that KML (quite a good rebounder also) looked svelte?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom