2020/21 UConn Recruiting | Page 96 | The Boneyard

2020/21 UConn Recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
she would be an even more effective player if she learned to actually jump ........:rolleyes:

She will definitely need to get more knee bend and bounce. Hopefully her strength and agility trainers are helping her with that.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
New articles out on Nika Muhl. UConn just expressed interest in her for the first time in January which is when she added them to her list of schools.

But she believes in order to raise her game she needs to play college ball in America. She would be part of the 2020 class.

“I want to play in the United States because of the education I can get here but also because of the high level of basketball that is here,” Muhl said. “I love how Americans think about basketball. I love how they represent it. I could go always back to Europe in a couple but playing here would be an experience and an opportunity not many people back home get.

“I’m looking at the team chemistry, looking forward to strong practices, and high concentration. I’m looking forward to having a chance to play in a crowded arena and playing in front of a lot of people.”

She is working now to narrow down her college choices, options which are a little different now than what they were three months ago.

“I did my list in January and it was four without UConn,” Muhl said. “Then they sent an e-mail and it was like, ‘Wow. I couldn’t believe it. I thought someone was joking with me.’ ”

Intriguing import

If Muhl commits to UConn, she and Bueckers would likely compete for Crystal Dangerfield’s starting job. Dangerfield graduates the summer before the two point guards would arrive on campus.

Muhl said she’s planning a visit to Storrs in May, and that she plans to make her decision before the summer so she doesn’t waste anyone else’s time.

UConn women’s basketball target Nika Muhl discusses visit with Geno Auriemma, college plans

Reaction Score
Can’t thing of a worse way to end the game for Centennial rather than a silly turnover late in a tie game. Anyone read the ESPN article about Centennial/ASU’s Eboni Walker? Coach didn’t let her play one game since she was late for the bus at Nike TOC. Not something a lot of coaches would do to an elite player. Clearly an elite program she has created in Nevada. How’d Bigby do?

Reaction Score
New articles out on Nika Muhl. UConn just expressed interest in her for the first time in January which is when she added them to her list of schools.

But she believes in order to raise her game she needs to play college ball in America. She would be part of the 2020 class.

“I want to play in the United States because of the education I can get here but also because of the high level of basketball that is here,” Muhl said. “I love how Americans think about basketball. I love how they represent it. I could go always back to Europe in a couple but playing here would be an experience and an opportunity not many people back home get.

“I’m looking at the team chemistry, looking forward to strong practices, and high concentration. I’m looking forward to having a chance to play in a crowded arena and playing in front of a lot of people.”

She is working now to narrow down her college choices, options which are a little different now than what they were three months ago.

“I did my list in January and it was four without UConn,” Muhl said. “Then they sent an e-mail and it was like, ‘Wow. I couldn’t believe it. I thought someone was joking with me.’ ”

Intriguing import

If Muhl commits to UConn, she and Bueckers would likely compete for Crystal Dangerfield’s starting job. Dangerfield graduates the summer before the two point guards would arrive on campus.

Muhl said she’s planning a visit to Storrs in May, and that she plans to make her decision before the summer so she doesn’t waste anyone else’s time.

UConn women’s basketball target Nika Muhl discusses visit with Geno Auriemma, college plans
I like that she is all business - a lot.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This was against the #4 team in the nation. She won the game with 2 FTs later. @JordyG was there. My train to NYC was too late the make the game, but I'll be there tomorrow with my friend.

She's a sophomore AND the best player in the nation. And her best friend is our recruit Paige Bueckers.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Can’t thing of a worse way to end the game for Centennial rather than a silly turnover late in a tie game. Anyone read the ESPN article about Centennial/ASU’s Eboni Walker? Coach didn’t let her play one game since she was late for the bus at Nike TOC. Not something a lot of coaches would do to an elite player. Clearly an elite program she has created in Nevada. How’d Bigby do?
Bigby was very good especially defensively on Azzi.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
@Sluconn Husky is there a roster from this camp? I curious about some players I don't see in the photo and others I don't recognize. For Example I think Boston maybe hidden in the back row on the far right.

I haven't seen a roster but I'm pretty sure that is indeed Aliyah Boston.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen a roster but I'm pretty sure that is indeed Aliyah Boston.
Here are the U.S Participants:

USA Basketball Women Athletes to Participate in NCAA Next Generation at NCAA Women’s Final Four

"Six USA Basketball Women’s Junior National Team gold medalists have accepted invitations to participate in the NCAA Next Generation for Women, a minicamp for select USA Junior National Team athletes and NBA Academies Women’s Program participants during the 2019 NCAA Women’s Final Four in Tampa, Florida. Additionally, the gold medal winning 2018 U.S. Youth Olympic Games Women’s 3x3 Basketball Team will be honored on court by the NCAA during the first semifinal game.

Participating in Tampa are 2018 U.S. Youth Olympics Games Team gold medalists Aliyah Boston(Worcester Academy/St. Thomas, USVI), Samantha Brunelle (William Monroe H.S./Ruckersville, Va.), Paige Bueckers (Hopkins H.S./St. Louis Park, Minn.) and Hailey Van Lith (Cashmere H.S./Wenatchee, Wash.), and USA gold medalists Maori Davenport (Henderson H.S./Troy, Ala.) and Haley Jones (Archbishop Mitty H.S./Santa Cruz, Calif.)."

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I was there today at CTK and saw most of the first game between Miami Country Day vs New Hope and SJDC vs Centennial. In case you've never been, CTK is in Queens NY and sits literally in the middle of a Lutheran/Non-denominational graveyard. Not the most appealing place for late night or early morning studying/workouts. Both the gym and the graveyard were packed.

I sat next to the grandparents of SJDC's Kelis Corley who had a running conversation across the room with a Centennial fan. On the other side of me sat a quicksmart woman and her class from Middle Village Prep.

Azzi has good size, good speed and is soso nice off the dribble. Her deception of the dribble isn't as good as Bueckers, but it's close. With Bueckers the ball is on a long string. Azzi's is just a little shorter. Azzi has a nice little head and body fake off the dribble, and her first step is exceptional. Her shot is a bit better looking than Beuckers. Her shot isn't merely smooth, it's quick and consistent every time down the court: FT's, mid range, from the arc. Her pull up is unstoppable. If you take away her game inside she'll stomp you anyway. She knows her spots on the floor and she knows how to get to them quickly and effectively.

They played her tough all game. They doubled her in the quarter court and tried to trap her on inbounds. Centennial did their best to make her expel a lot of energy on both ends of the court. Azzi wasn't able to penetrate to the rim off the dribble so she killed them from the midrange. How many players have such a smooth mid range game? She's also willing to stick her head in there and get rebounds.

Azzi's body type just screams next level. Her time in the weight room is going to make her a beast. She's very comfortable playing the 2, and could easily transition to that spot at the next level. She made any number of nice passes today that were fumbled at the block or inside. SJ had the tallest most invisible 6'3" post I've seen to date. This Azzi kid is just uber nice.

During the 4th period the group of grammar school kids from Middle Village Prep started chanting, "MVP" for Azzi and "Let's go St. John's". It must have felt like a home game for SJDC.

I was also impressed by Centennial's #22 Eboni Walker who SJ had no real answer for. She is 6 feet of agile, aggressive, and smart. The form on her shot was good, not great, but she made up for it with high level athleticism, a very quick first step, a nice quick hop on rebound and a smoothness in the air. Nice pick up for ASU.

All great fun. I can't wait until tomorrow.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Here are the U.S Participants:

USA Basketball Women Athletes to Participate in NCAA Next Generation at NCAA Women’s Final Four

"Six USA Basketball Women’s Junior National Team gold medalists have accepted invitations to participate in the NCAA Next Generation for Women, a minicamp for select USA Junior National Team athletes and NBA Academies Women’s Program participants during the 2019 NCAA Women’s Final Four in Tampa, Florida. Additionally, the gold medal winning 2018 U.S. Youth Olympic Games Women’s 3x3 Basketball Team will be honored on court by the NCAA during the first semifinal game.

Participating in Tampa are 2018 U.S. Youth Olympics Games Team gold medalists Aliyah Boston(Worcester Academy/St. Thomas, USVI), Samantha Brunelle (William Monroe H.S./Ruckersville, Va.), Paige Bueckers (Hopkins H.S./St. Louis Park, Minn.) and Hailey Van Lith (Cashmere H.S./Wenatchee, Wash.), and USA gold medalists Maori Davenport (Henderson H.S./Troy, Ala.) and Haley Jones (Archbishop Mitty H.S./Santa Cruz, Calif.)."

That's some of them. There are about 42 players attending.

Reaction Score
Bigby was very good especially defensively on Azzi.
Love that some of the feedback is now including defense . Suspect that after watching Durr and Ogunbowale torch us the past two games that Geno will be looking harder for the shut down skills lacking this year.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
New Hope led much of the game, but gave up the lead to St. John's around the end of Q3. SJC pushed the lead to 5, but couldn't hold off a New Hope surge and lost 45-34. Azzi played with a bad ankle and limped occasionally. Her lift was off; as a result, her shot was off as well. She was hounded on defense and double-teamed on almost every touch. Unofficially, I had her at about 3-15 FG and 4-4 FT shooting for 10 points. She added about 10-12 rebounds. Tough loss for SJC to a physical and athletic New Hope team (#7 in the nation before today). Azzi looked injured and human. The final quarter reminded me of last night's game.

Reaction Score
New Hope led much of the game, but gave up the lead to St. John's around the end of Q3. SJC pushed the lead to 5, but couldn't hold off a New Hope surge and lost 45-34. Azzi played with a bad ankle and limped occasionally. Her lift was off; as a result, her shot was off as well. She was hounded on defense and double-teamed on almost every touch. Unofficially, I had her at about 3-15 FG and 4-4 FT shooting for 10 points. She added about 10-12 rebounds. Tough loss for SJC to a physical and athletic New Hope team (#7 in the nation before today). Azzi looked injured and human. The final quarter reminded me of last night's game.

5-19 14 pts 12 Rebounds

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Coach Geno Auriemma and associate head coach Chris Dailey recruited her for years, visiting her as much as the NCAA would allow. Their interest never wavered, and the consistency of their efforts helped them build a relationship with Bueckers.

Bueckers loves Diana Taurasi for all the obvious reasons, but also because of her competitive spirit and passion for the game. Taurasi and Bueckers were both in Tampa Friday night for the Final Four, but the high school junior didn’t have the chance to meet her.

Bueckers also pointed out that because of her height (5 feet 11) and vision, she’s comfortable playing the two and three positions, as well.

UConn recruit Paige Bueckers talks UConn, recruiting process

Reaction Score
Just watched the first half of Reese’s game. She passes surprisingly well. Had a few really nice assists.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom